Stop motion DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Stop motion DBZ?

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri May 21, 2010 10:31 am

What would you guys think of a stop motion DBZ motion; like Coraline or Nightmare Before Christmas?

Aside from Kai, they seem to me done with drawing anything new thats animated and the DBE movie sucked outloud; so I think if the people with the above said talent took hold of that idea and ran with it, they could come up with a pretty decent movie.

And since its not real actors, each country could have their native voice cast match the characters instead of having actors with voices we arent familiar with.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Re: Stop motion DBZ?

Post by Blue » Fri May 21, 2010 10:33 am

I think it would be a really, really weird style to give to a story about blond muscle bound douche bags hovering around blasting each other with life force.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri May 21, 2010 10:51 am

I feel like I should be confused about someone IN a DBZ chat room and calling the main basis of the show 'douche baggy'.

*waits for someone to say something constructive and actually thought out.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri May 21, 2010 11:26 am

I'm confused about someone in a forum calling it a chat room.

Also I called the main characters douche bags in a joking way, no need to get hyper sensitive. Why would you want something so simplistic in such a style? It seems incredibly pointless. Would big buff dudes hovering around screaming not look absolutely ridiculous with clay figures? Outside of jumping on the hipster trash bandwagon it seems like a pointless endeavor that would just look silly. God help me if it was actually directed by Tim Burton.

Constructive enough for ya? Or are you just waiting for people to pat you on the back for your excellent idea?
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri May 21, 2010 11:44 am

How is stop motion a hipstar trash bandwagon when theres been like maybe 5 decent s/m movies in the part 15 years?

I'm saying it would be a different style of movie since they arent doing the animation much anymore and live action failed. Plus it doesnt translate well into live action anyways so thats a different alternative to a bad sequel and not having anything new.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri May 21, 2010 11:49 am

My point is it won't translate well into clay figures either. If you think live action looks stupid I can't imagine how much more campy and embarrassing this would look. I'd rather not have anything new then have Play Dough Brolly. Of course if we put him in black with some spirals and if he was voiced by Johnny Depp...

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 am

Well now youre just connection claymatio/stop motion with I'm Burtons work and thats not really the same thing.

*Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri May 21, 2010 11:55 am

It was a throwaway joke. Not the point of my post.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri May 21, 2010 12:38 pm

What, the Robot Chicken segment not enough for ya? :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri May 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Robot Chicken was low budget and also done with clunky plastic toys, big difference.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri May 21, 2010 4:13 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Robot Chicken was low budget and also done with clunky plastic toys, big difference.
Robot Chicken is amazing; hush your mouth.

As far as I'm concerned, that Christmas sketch was the definitive stop-motion Dragon Ball experience for the hard-core fans.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri May 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Cipher wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:Robot Chicken was low budget and also done with clunky plastic toys, big difference.
Robot Chicken is amazing; hush your mouth.

Yes it is....and it's also low budget and done with clunky plastic toys. :P
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:17 pm

Blue wrote:blasting each other with life force.
That was a great NES game! Why would they want to waste those cartridges like that just for a stop-motion film? :( :cry:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri May 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Blue wrote:blasting each other with life force.
That was a great NES game! Why would they want to waste those cartridges like that just for a stop-motion film? :( :cry:
You are literally the best poster.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:06 pm

Blue wrote:You are literally the best poster.
I usually try to refrain from posts like that as much as possible on Daizex (because there is a near zero tolerance for off-topic randomness here of course), but I usually sometimes slip through things like that, which is pretty much the "real me" seeping through. =P Reminds me of the time in my "Futuristic Literature" class in my senior year of High School, when my teacher was going on about something, and as soon as he said "over-the-top" I interrupted with "was a good movie!" He paused for a bit to let that sink in and said "...No... it was awful...". XD

But, to try and retain some semblance of on-topicness here, I don't think it would work. Stop motion tends to have a sort of robotic stiffness to it that I don't think would work well in a high-speed martial arts series like Dragon Ball.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri May 21, 2010 9:14 pm

I don't mean to seem like an ass, but stop motion DBZ is a stupid idea. Not to mention difficult because of all the flying around and energy blasts.

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by KKZ » Fri May 21, 2010 9:28 pm

I think stop motion DBZ is best left to really creative fans with money to blow. I'm waiting for the DBZ equivalent of Inevitable Alliance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_QcnSQsPD0), DBZ figures flexible enough for such a project have only just recently been obtainable with the advent of S.H. Figuarts.
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat May 22, 2010 2:12 am

The fact is would be difficult to do was one of the hurdles I thought would help make it great because they would have to work that much more at it to make it a fluid process.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat May 22, 2010 7:32 am

Terrible idea, not only would it be an absolute bitch to animate (believe me, stop motion is horrendous), but it would look really odd. Like, really odd and while that can give life to something like Nightmare Before Christmas, it'd make Dragon Ball look really really ... bad odd.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sat May 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Stop motion would be okay... for like parody or something of that nature, to put onto YouTube or something.. Definitely not as a full feature series or movie!

However, I wouldn't be adversed to the idea of a 2D DBZ animated film. I started this thread a while ago.
Just Saiyan...