The Dragon Ball Wiki

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: The Dragon Ball Wiki

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:27 pm

It's clear they have no understanding of what Daizenshuu EX (or Kanzentai for that matter) is -- they're assuming this forum = this/those websites in their entirety (RE: people who take issue with minor articles, and going on to assume that I'm somehow jealous that I don't have that article on my website).

Furthermore, it's clear they're not actually reading the words in this thread. They see a giant wall of text that intricately picks apart the problems (objectively-factual and subjectively-otherwise), and just assume "ARGH GROBBLE GROBBLE MEAN POOPIE-HEADS JUST BEING MEAN" (RE: saying we have provided no evidence of their wrong information).

Is there really anything else that can be provided? No. They're not reasonable enough. At this point? Whatever. Short of a complete overhaul and entirely different group of administrators, I foresee little that can be done with the DB Wikia. It's horribly unfortunate.

Also... for fuck's sake, can someone make it clear that SilverPlaqueVII does not speak as an authority figure on anyone's behalf? Someone who can't speak English well shouldn't be acting as some ambassador on an English-language encyclopedia about a Japanese franchise.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:"ARGH GROBBLE GROBBLE MEAN POOPIE-HEADS JUST BEING MEAN"
Sorry. A bit of a tangent here, but can anyone else who listens to the podcast on a regular basis hear in their heads Mike saying this out loud? I can, and it's making me laugh. :lol:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:02 pm

I find it particularly disheartening to hear them preach about making a wikia for Americans and Funimation fans, claiming them as their principle readership, while holding up google results to bolster their stance and completely overlook the fact that the majority of this readership they're so proud of aren't searching for them from the US.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:"ARGH GROBBLE GROBBLE MEAN POOPIE-HEADS JUST BEING MEAN"
Sorry. A bit of a tangent here, but can anyone else who listens to the podcast on a regular basis hear in their heads Mike saying this out loud? I can, and it's making me laugh. :lol:
Oh, I totally did. :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:11 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:I find it particularly disheartening to hear them preach about making a wikia for Americans and Funimation fans, claiming them as their principle readership, while holding up google results to bolster their stance and completely overlook the fact that the majority of this readership they're so proud of aren't searching for them from the US.
There is officially no reason to keep this Wiki around any longer. My original falsely helpful suggestions now don't make sense. Just raze the whole thing and salt the earth.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:26 pm

The only way anything will get done is if the admins purge all of the users who are holding the wiki back.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:31 pm

Am I the only one who finds their message board hard to follow? The set up is so awkward. Anyway, I don't understand why these people are being so stubborn. The guy who made this thread seems to be pretty reasonable, but it sounds like the others aren't willing to budge much.
Trans rights, now!

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:42 pm

When I first read the initial post I was impressed with the Dragonball Wiki. I thought people over there were working hard to make the Wiki a better site, but after what I've read from both here and over on their site, I've realized all hope is lost. Honestly, SSJGoku93 I admire what you are trying to do but it seems your friends aren't going to let up. Normally I'm not one to support quitters but fixing the Dragonball Wiki seems like a lost cause, if you'd like you can hang here were information is actually accurate and is supported by official Dragonball sources. I'm sure everyone here on Daizex will welcome you with open arms, and trust me we aren't all sub loving poopy-heads. I myself am a Funimation Dub fan and I fit in just fine...I think. :D

Maybe, when everyone on that site grows up and learns about citation, spelling and the English language we'll see some changes but until then it's best to try and avoid that site like the plague. I just wish they'd stop claiming they were a wiki. I feel bad for casual fans and people outside of the US(who seem to be the majority of the visitors on that site) who stumble upon the site and find misleading and truly FALSE information.

If there is one thing I'd like to say to the Dragonball Wiki(all two of you reading) it's this:

If you want to be a fan site for Funimation's Dragonball than by all means have at it, that's not the issue. The issue is you claim you are an Encyclopedia for Dragonball in general. You carry biased, speculated and just plain false information on your site for MILLIONS OF PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD to read. I know it's a fucking cartoon, but for crying out loud doesn't it upset you morally that you are feeding false information to world? Call yourself a fan site, celebrate your love for whatever interpretation of Dragonball you have but please, please don't fucking claim you are an Encyclopedia when that is the farthest thing from the truth possible.

Daizex may have a biased love to the original version of the show, they may slam Funimation's work(a bit too harshly at times) but at least they cover the facts. The cover everything and all things Dragonball(hey hey it's their slogan) whether or not it's their preferred version of the series. It's all here, everything. If the Dragonball wiki can't do the same, then they don't deserve the name "Dragonball Wiki."

I think I've said enough.
Last edited by SparkyPantsMcGee on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

SSJGoku93

Post by SSJGoku93 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:51 pm

To be honest I wish my comrades over on the Wiki felt the same as myself, and as you guys do. I feel like I alone have to fix the damn site up myself, and I've spend hours only to get 3 articles done, with even more to go on those as well. I frankly do not understand why we do not state we are based on the FUNimation dub, but apparently my fellow admins and I do not see eye to eye in that sense. I'm going to try my best to handle the Wiki's changes myself, I care enough about Dragon Ball to do this when I can. I have them convinced to begin using more references, which does give me a light of hope.
I appreciate all your feedback, whether it be positive, negative, or in between. I'll try to stick around here as much as possible, as I've been using this fantastic site for years.
Thanks again guys.
"Hurting innocent people is something I don't tolerate!" - Goku

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Since there has been a lot of negativity directed towards your site (from myself included), I do feel compelled to once in a while chime in with something positive. It's obvious from reading your posts here and over there that you prefer FUNimation's version of the show. And it's probably obvious that I prefer the original version. And that doesn't matter one iota to me. It's obvious that you're an intelligent, reasonable person who truly wants what's best for his site. That's what matters to me. I can't speak for everyone, but I at least say that, no matter what happens on the Wiki, you're certainly welcome to continue posting here.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:05 pm

I second Gaffer's notion. At the end of the day we all love Dragon Ball...well, most of us. hah
Trans rights, now!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Seems like you really have your work cut out for you, SSJGoku93. I wish you luck, and admire your commitment. I'd be glad to help answer any questions you may have in the course of fixing up the articles. For instance, if you ever need to have some bit of Japanese writing or translation double-checked. Or if you ever want confirmation on whether an alleged Toriyama quote is genuine, or if something attributed to the daizenshuu or some other guidebook is really in the book. That kind of stuff.
Last edited by Herms on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SSJGoku93

Post by SSJGoku93 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:11 pm

Appreciate your kind words guys, and that would be awesome Herms, thank you. Part of me thinks "why don't I just make my own damn FUNimation based website and start fresh". Haha, maybe one day...
"Hurting innocent people is something I don't tolerate!" - Goku

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:11 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote: Daizex may have a biased love to the original version of the show, they may slam Funimation's work(a bit too harshly at times) but at least they cover the facts. The cover everything and all things Dragonball(hey hey it's their slogan) whether or not it's their preferred version of the series. It's all here, everything. If the Dragonball wiki can't do the same, then they don't deserve the name "Dragonball Wiki."
I agree with everything you said there, except for when you said "Daizex covers everything and all things Dragon Ball". I disagree with that statement because they don't cover the dub, and that's a huge part of Dragon Ball. They might mention it briefly here and there, but they mostly just brush it off completely.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:28 pm

I agree except that there isn't "the dub." It's a dub among many in a global fan community. I think they cover it as much as can be expected of any non-original version and quite a bit more than a lot of other dubs that exist.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I agree except that there isn't "the dub." It's a dub among many in a global fan community. I think they cover it as much as can be expected of any non-original version and quite a bit more than a lot of other dubs that exist.
True.

www.KristaMichaels.com

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:38 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I agree except that there isn't "the dub." It's a dub among many in a global fan community. I think they cover it as much as can be expected of any non-original version and quite a bit more than a lot of other dubs that exist.
Without going off topic, I feel they do a good job covering Funimation's dub. Mike has been up to date with all the releases(there is a DVD guide with every Funimation release so far) and has even given Kai a fair review. He's been up to date with all the news on the changes in the voice cast and even covered the Chris Rager story. I'd say, this site has done all it really can to cover everything important Funimation has to offered.

SSJGoku93, if you one day make your own site, I'd be happy to check it out. If not,I wish you good luck with maintaining the Wiki.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:50 pm

Yeah, you're right! As far as home releases go, DaizEX is much more focused on FUNimation's than Toei's. In fact, their DVD guide is probably the most comprehensive database on FUNimation's DVD releases. So, yeah, they cover "the" dub.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:02 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, you're right! As far as home releases go, DaizEX is much more focused on FUNimation's than Toei's. In fact, their DVD guide is probably the most comprehensive database on FUNimation's DVD releases. So, yeah, they cover "the" dub.
Well yes, they cover FUNimation's DB releases, but not the actual FUNimation dub

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:11 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, you're right! As far as home releases go, DaizEX is much more focused on FUNimation's than Toei's. In fact, their DVD guide is probably the most comprehensive database on FUNimation's DVD releases. So, yeah, they cover "the" dub.
Well yes, they cover FUNimation's DB releases, but not the actual FUNimation dub
So, are you proposing that they cover every dub now? Why would they cover FUNimation's and not every one that exists in the world? How many are there? I have no idea...

www.KristaMichaels.com