DB relationships

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

DB relationships

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:24 am

Now, in the Dragon Ball fandom, we know that many fans have a tendency to make up imaginative DB relationship fanfics of their own, involving some of the most unusual love pairings (which I mentioned recently in the "Obscure DB rumours" thread). But what unusual romantic pairings do you think do actually have potential, or what fanfics have you read that, even though they have weird pairings, actually work because they're well-written? Also, could you direct me to them, since I'm thinking of doing a Vegeta and Bulma fanfic and I need some ideas.

I think a relationship fanfic that could have potential is Yamcha and Chi-Chi; at least, in those 7 years after Goku died. Let's think about it. Chi-Chi is obviously very lonely at that point, her husband having died twice already and not even wanting to come back. Enter Yamcha, who is probably frustrated after Bulma had viciously told rumours of him cheating while the promiscuous bitch was giving the odd job to Vegeta. They could've had an affair, for all we know.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Re: DB relationships

Post by Bura » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:38 am

Personally I adore the idea of Goten and Bra together, but I don't read fanfiction any more. I do sometimes draw fanart of them together.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:43 am

As I wrote before everything depends on writer's talent- if someone explain it in convincing way I'm ready to believe that could happen. Strange parings appear in every universe, more, or less odd, sometimes better, sometimes worse.

Dragon Ball fandom is a bit specific one- anime suffer from lack of woman characters (but luckily it doesn't suffer from yaoi fangirls like some new series). Bulma, Lunch, Chi-chi, Videl, Pan(no!) and some minions- usually the only solution is OC, especially if we want to write "How Sayians were made"

If we talk about strange, but potential parings in DB these are there that at the beginning seemed strange to me, but was developed in goo way:
-Chi-chi& Piccolo "Full House"- in years after Cell Saga, when Green Guy cared after orphaned family, so after years it become more than friendship. (I don't remember how some kind of problems were solved technically- probably they used Dragon Balls)
-Brolly and Chi-chi aka "Beauty and the Beast" just once I saw it working, but it was really long and mostly focused on character development.
-Bulma's mother and father- I don't remember any fanfic about that, but why not?
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Darkbloom

Post by Darkbloom » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:38 am

Eire wrote: Dragon Ball fandom is a bit specific one- anime suffer from lack of woman characters (but luckily it doesn't suffer from yaoi fangirls like some new series).
I beg to differ. Dragon Ball yaoi fangirls are some of the scariest ones out there.
Eire wrote:-Bulma's mother and father- I don't remember any fanfic about that, but why not?
I've only ever seen one. It's on Fanfiction.net by an author named MeiDarkreign. It's pretty good.

*Goku/Bulma - I've read quite a few good fan fictions on this pairing. It makes sense, what with the whole childhood friend thing. "Anything But Innocent" is good recent one.
*ChiChi/Piccolo, ChiChi/Yamcha, ChiChi/OC - This is partly because I have always wanted ChiChi to remarry while Goku was dead at some point, and finally be happy. I'm sure even Piccolo would be a more passionate lover than Goku.
*Oolong/Puar - One night they are reminiscing over their days at shapeshifter's school. One thing leads to another, and before you know it, little catpigs are born. Never read any fanfics though. Shame.

However one pairing I'll never like is Vegeta and Pan. No matter how good the author is, it is just too disturbing to work. He is older than her grandfather and will be in his 60s by the time she is legal. What goes through people's heads when they think that is a good idea? Unfortunately, it seems to be kind of popular with nearly 100 stories on Fanfiction.net.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:49 am

Darkbloom wrote:*Oolong/Puar - One night they are reminiscing over their days at shapeshifter's school. One thing leads to another, and before you know it, little catpigs are born. Never read any fanfics though. Shame.
What gender is Puar anyway? Some say male, some say female.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Darkbloom

Post by Darkbloom » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:55 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote: What gender is Puar anyway? Some say male, some say female.
I think it's meant to be a male. But when you have the power to change into any shape, anything could happen! They would certainly have an interesting sex life.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Darkbloom wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: What gender is Puar anyway? Some say male, some say female.
I think it's meant to be a male. But when you have the power to change into any shape, anything could happen! They would certainly have an interesting sex life.
So when you say Oolong and Puar could have little catpigs...that's technically impossible. If both of them are male, that is. But even still, pigs and cats aren't even compatible, Oolong can only shapeshift temporarily...it would be too complicated for both of them to maintain a sex life and have children at the same time. I feel sorry for them. :(

Darkbloom

Post by Darkbloom » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Darkbloom wrote:
So when you say Oolong and Puar could have little catpigs...that's technically impossible. If both of them are male, that is. But even still, pigs and cats aren't even compatible, Oolong can only shapeshift temporarily...it would be too complicated for both of them to maintain a sex life and have children at the same time. I feel sorry for them. :(
Poor, poor Oolong and Puar. There's still hope for them though! If yaoi fangirls can make Goku pregnant with Vegeta's baby, anything is possible. In fan fiction at least.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:59 pm

Darkbloom wrote:Poor, poor Oolong and Puar. There's still hope for them though! If yaoi fangirls can make Goku pregnant with Vegeta's baby, anything is possible. In fan fiction at least.
Wtf? Please tell me that this Goku is female? :shock:

Darkbloom

Post by Darkbloom » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Darkbloom wrote:Poor, poor Oolong and Puar. There's still hope for them though! If yaoi fangirls can make Goku pregnant with Vegeta's baby, anything is possible. In fan fiction at least.
Wtf? Please tell me that this Goku is female? :shock:
Unfortunately not. It seems that in yaoi fandom, two people in love=baby no matter what gender they are. Try typing "Goku mpreg" into DeviantArt.
Actually don't. It'll scar you for life.

Fandom is messed up. Pregnancy does not work that way!

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm going to comfort you: according to yaoi fangirls all males in all fandoms have ability to get pregnant without woman. Fortunately in nature it doesn't work: there are some kinds of lizards* and fishes that can breed without males (but they need lesbian relationship to stimulate ovulation) and lovely seahorses whose males get pregnant when females lay eggs in their pouches. :lol:

*I think in that way it worked in one humanoid lizards well known in this fandom :mrgreen:
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Goku x Videl : http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1676052/1/I ... hould_Fall
Very well-written, although Goku comes with a bit more charm.

Other plausible couples:
Goku x Bulma
Chi Chi x Vegeta
Bulma x Yamcha
Goten x Bra (I love the idea of this couple. It would be such a sweet story and finally make the official bond between the Sons and the Briefs)

Funny couple: Bulma x Freeza :lol:

Personally I think canon couples make boring fanfics. It's the unusual couples that writers have
to put effort in to make it work.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Cell x nobody.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:42 pm

Darkbloom wrote:Fandom is messed up. Pregnancy does not work that way!
Reminds me of a very strange fic I came across once that I didn't realize was about pregnancy. It kind of revolved around the idea of Piccolo becoming pregnant just because Namekians happen to only have one parent. (It wasn't romance for the record) And they tried to explain this with a very "out there" fan theory that I forget.
Perfect wrote:Cell x nobody.
Or better yet, Cell x a Mary Sue who's even more perfect than he is. XD

On a serious note, I read a rather interesting little drabble about 18 and Trunks once, the ones in the main timeline. I don't usually read romance, but I did like it.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:28 pm

18/Trunks (typically the future versions at that) is my favorite non-canon pairing in the series, and one I've put to use in fanfiction before.

I have plans for a fanfic series that will eventually end up with the following pairs: Raditz/Chi-Chi, Yamcha/Sno, 17/Bulma, Goku/18, and Krillin/Zangya if that counts. :D

As for ones I've read, though, I can't think of any. The only non-normal pairings I've read have either been weird (sometimes despite good writing, like everything in Kingdom Come) or not very good. :?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Frieza x Cell

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Codarik wrote:Freeza x Cell
Good things Cell's neither male nor female, being asexual and whatnot. >.>;;
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:27 pm

He's male. In the Manga, he used the personal pronoun "boku", which only males use.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:33 am

I'll agree with the people who have said Bulma/Goku; that can go pretty well if it's done right. Most of the fanfiction I read is Bulma/Vegeta, though, but there's so much of it out there and it's such a pain to wade through all the crappy stuff. If I found something good with Bulma and Yamcha I'd definitely give it a read; those two (as a pairing) need more love, but again, that's canon.
Been thinking about the idea of Vegeta and Chi-Chi; could see some possible good stuff there.

And this pretty awesome drabble makes me fairly sure that I'd like Bra/Uub as a pairing, too, if handled well... (Though of course Uub is a pretty "open for interpretation" character, especially because I by and large pretend that GT doesn't exist...er, he's in that, right? I've only seen it through once, kind of.)
By the way, I can't recommend the fanfiction by that author enough.

Xyex, link to your [Future] Trunks/Eighteen fanfiction, pretty please? (Also, the other described series sounds pretty awesome. Raditsu/Chi-Chi sounds like an idea with some potential...but then I'm kind of a sucker for Raditsu, anyway. EDIT: Just realized that that is probably inherently obvious given my current avatar, and probably even more obvious if the whole image was visible, bahaha.)

Oh yeah, and I'll second the agreeableness of that one Goku/Videl fic.

I write fanfiction myself, and while my latest undertaking has a smattering of different pairings/almost-pairings/semi-sorta-implied/ambivalent pairings, that's really not the focus (er, I mean, the story is largely character-driven so relationships are inherently important, but not all are focused around/based on romance), a different fic I did in-between installments of this bigger one makes me think that Raditsu and Bulma would be kind of epic -- or at least would make for a good sitcom. Vegeta, Bulma, Raditsu. That's one hot-headed love triangle! :lol:

(Also I will confess to being one o' them females who does enjoy yaoi fics, but just like any other fic, only if they're, y'know, well done. If the characters stay in-character, and the author can pull off the pairing under that constraint, all the power to him/her! That being said, I'd like to say I maybe fall outside the label "yaoi fangirl"...lacking many of the scary characteristics of the typical fangirl. Please don't kill me!)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:12 am

Xyex wrote:18/Trunks (typically the future versions at that) is my favorite non-canon pairing in the series
She slaughtered half the planet, likely cut down his father, (in the special) killed the only person he's ever had a significant relationship with other than his mother and made his life an apocalyptic hell and you like pairing them up?

You've encapsulated everything that's so sickeningly wrong with fanfic.