Bardock Appreciation Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Choice195
Banned

Re: Bardock Appreciation Thread

Post by Choice195 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:04 am

penguintruth wrote:Oh, I know. I was just describing things as outrageous as I could think of for cheap thrills.

But you have to admit, Bardock probably slaughtered thousands without losing a night's sleep. Except that night he devoured the Hulags from Shatlan Beta. That's like bad Mexican food. He was on the bathroom sack all night that night.
Dude... You're making me sick to my stomach. Just stop with the cannibalism.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:08 am

Why not? Eating your enemy to take his strength and not to let his body to be rotten... some cultures looked into it in that way (not hygienic, and may spread diseases). Why do we judge them by our moral rules?
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:24 am

The Saiyajin were said to be a cruel, fighting race, not a cruel, fighting, use a baby as a stressball race. Other than occasionally eating them, they probably could care less after killing them in a fight.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:03 pm

None of this makes Bardock any less cool or badass of a character.

deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Kid Buu wrote:No hating in this thread, this is a place of happiness. 8)

I'll admit I've only ever seen the Bardock film dubbed...but I really love it. I never really get to see people talk about the character or the film, so I made a thread dedicated to man with true Saiyan pride. Although I'd love to see the original JPN version, one of the reasons why I love the film so much is because of Bardock's dubbed voice.

"My Son" <- I get chills every time I hear that.
I saw this the first time when the steelbook double features were first put out. It made me appreciate the backstory of Goku much more. I absolutely was astounded by Bardock's English voice (Sonny Strait); after years of him voicing characters like Krillin and Hughes, when I heard him do Bardock for the first time, I just went, "Be still my beating heart!" It makes the ending song, "Hikari No Tabi", that much more awesome.... it just wants me to be with someone close to me. :) Oh yeah, and "Solid State Scouter" is another great piece of music from that special.

Bardock was a working man's hero, so to speak, and for him to suffer that fate was just cruel. Long live Bardock. :)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Kaboom wrote:None of this makes Bardock any less cool or badass of a character.

That sir, is complete win.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:36 pm

I can never understand why people think "badass" is a positive character trait to have. Maybe I just don't know it's definition well enough...

Or why using easy targets like Naruto still wins points.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Savage68 wrote:I can never understand why people think "badass" is a positive character trait to have. Maybe I just don't know it's definition well enough...

Or why using easy targets like Naruto still wins points.
Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, it really doesn't matter.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Of course it doesn't matter. That's the point.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:32 pm

penguintruth wrote:His shoe laces were made of the entrails of his mother and he once wore a necklace of ears. Also, you know how monkeys eat bananas? Oozaru don't eat bananas. They eat your best friend, peeling him like one, first.

One time, Bardock was bathing in a pool of infant blood, and he lost his favorite bath toy, the head of his favorite dog, who he had killed for barking too loudly during a hangover of his. So, Bardock swam out and found the nearest alien race, forcing them into the blood pool to find it, drowning them, laughing all the way. It turned out that he never even brought his toy that day. When he discovered this, he ripped off another dog's head, just in case it ever really happened. When their owners objected, he slaughtered their entire family.

This was Bardock's Tuesdays.
Dont forget he hid the remote and was the one who made the choice to have the music replaced for the US release of DBZ.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Brakus wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:No hating in this thread, this is a place of happiness. 8)

I'll admit I've only ever seen the Bardock film dubbed...but I really love it. I never really get to see people talk about the character or the film, so I made a thread dedicated to man with true Saiyan pride. Although I'd love to see the original JPN version, one of the reasons why I love the film so much is because of Bardock's dubbed voice.

"My Son" <- I get chills every time I hear that.
I saw this the first time when the steelbook double features were first put out. It made me appreciate the backstory of Goku much more. I absolutely was astounded by Bardock's English voice (Sonny Strait); after years of him voicing characters like Krillin and Hughes, when I heard him do Bardock for the first time, I just went, "Be still my beating heart!" It makes the ending song, "Hikari No Tabi", that much more awesome.... it just wants me to be with someone close to me. :) Oh yeah, and "Solid State Scouter" is another great piece of music from that special.

Bardock was a working man's hero, so to speak, and for him to suffer that fate was just cruel. Long live Bardock. :)
I love Solid State Scouter too, I'm listening to it right now. :)
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Bardock's my bitch. No touching.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:16 pm

ringworm128 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:His shoe laces were made of the entrails of his mother and he once wore a necklace of ears. Also, you know how monkeys eat bananas? Oozaru don't eat bananas. They eat your best friend, peeling him like one, first.

One time, Bardock was bathing in a pool of infant blood, and he lost his favorite bath toy, the head of his favorite dog, who he had killed for barking too loudly during a hangover of his. So, Bardock swam out and found the nearest alien race, forcing them into the blood pool to find it, drowning them, laughing all the way. It turned out that he never even brought his toy that day. When he discovered this, he ripped off another dog's head, just in case it ever really happened. When their owners objected, he slaughtered their entire family.

This was Bardock's Tuesdays.
Dont forget he hid the remote and was the one who made the choice to have the music replaced for the US release of DBZ.

OK.... the stuff penguintruth said was kinda tame, BUT REPLACING THE MUSIC FOR THE US DBZ?? BARDOCK YOU DUN GONE TOO FAR!!!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:21 am

Brakus wrote:Bardock was a working man's hero, so to speak, and for him to suffer that fate was just cruel. Long live Bardock. :)
I would certainly hope there weren't any working class men who could truly relate to Bardock. At least not any who AREN'T locked away. The posts that penguintruth is making are cracking me up. His tongue is somewhat in cheek, but he's right. Bardock makes for a very interesting, very dynamic character, but that doesn't stop him from being a cold-blooded killer. With anti-hero protagonists it's not that bad. But when you try to hoist characters like that as good guys, it gets a little bit creepy, especially when it comes to Vegeta. Another well-made, dynamic character... but he's an asshole. He worked as a villain and an anti-hero, but he sucked as a "good guy" until, arguably, the very end. The whole "Draco in Leather Pants" phenomenon is something I find quite unsettling at times, to be honest. Bardock's cool, but the fate he received was totally justified, not cruel. He and all the other Saiya-jin got no less than they deserved. So while seeing his journey was cool, and he was somewhat sympathetic, the special ended exactly as it should have. I have to say, it's almost too bad that Vegeta's journey didn't end that way too. Sure, his continued existance brought a lot of cool things, like Trunks, but if he had stayed dead from Freeza, it would have been a much better and more appropriate end for his character.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:50 am

Interesting to see someone else's take on the Bardock TV Special and Bardock himself.

I guess because I have a soft spot for badasses, Bardock turned me on so. But looking at it from your perspective, his fate was cruel AND justified. For the death and destruction he and his race caused, he and his race would atone for it with their near extinction, and Bardock himself would live out his final days knowing what will happen to him and his son... And that he will never get to see him in person while he is alive.

I liked Bardock despite that he was a mercenary for Freeza. I liked that they incorporated clips of it in the first episode of Kai. It certainly doesn't make me a bad person for thinking that way. At least that's what I hope in thus forum.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:32 am

Indeed. Don't get me wrong. I love the Bardock special. It's one of my favorite pieces of non-Toriyama Dragon Ball and maybe even Dragon Ball in general. It's a great story, grayer morality than we usually see, and a grayer morality protagonist. I'm certainly not saying that characters have to be squeaky clean heroic types to be liked by an audience. On the contrary, flaws make characters more interesting. What does worry me sometimes is the complete blind eye certain fans tend to take in terms of a clearly evil character's flaws. And again I feel compelled to return to Vegeta, because the series itself is to blame for that. They sweep all of Vegeta's atrocities under the rug to make him a good guy. "Oh, who cares that three chapters ago he was laughing over the fact that the children and elderly he murdered in cold blood were the only ones who didn't come back to life. He's 'good' now. Who cares that he's directly responsible for the death of Bulma's boyfriend and swore to annihilate all life on earth? She'd still jump his bone at the first possible opportunity because he's 'badass.'" But I like the Bardock special. Aside from the fact that Bardock is, technically, evil, and that he's a low-class member of his own society, it does have quite a few similar elements to a classical tragedy. Again, not something you ever see in Dragon Ball.

As for Bardock being put in at the beginning of Kai... ehhh. I find it interesting. I happen to like the feel it lends to the first episode. However, I don't think it's the RIGHT feel for it. It's out of place. I was never one of those people who thought that Kai would end after Freeza, but those who did had a legitimate reason to feel that way, and it wasn't because of an upcoming DVD release list. It was because of this scene. Putting Bardock vs. Freeza, followed by Goku arriving on earth as the very beginning of the show sets it up as the show's overall conflict, and that's just not what Dragon Ball as a whole is. Well, first of all, chopping away the entire first third of the series is a bad move for a show claiming to be closer to the manga. But even if you take just the "Z portion," it's not about Freeza. Not even half of it is. But opening with that scene makes it appear that it is. With the beginning scene being Bardock's last words to his son to avenge his people, you would think that that would be the focus of the show, and, logically, you could make the assumption from a storytelling standpoint that the series should end with Goku's triumph over Freeza. And since it's obviously not, that does make the rest of the series feel a bit tacked on because the Cell and Buu arcs have absolutely no connection to that first scene, the setup we're given as to what the plot is going to be. So while it was cool (and would probably have worked really well if they had only done the first two arcs), I feel it was a bit of a misstep.

That, and it seems a bit odd to open your "closer to the manga" recut with an extended sequence that really doesn't exist in the manga at all. Debates of the canonicity of the Bardock storyline aside, the scene itself is technically filler, so what's it doing in Kai?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:22 am

When Bardock was born, he could walk. So he took a short walk to his mother, took up his umbilical cord, and bit it off.
The doctors called him a medical marvel.

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:37 am

I agree. People forget how evil the Saiyans are. And then they expect Vegeta to beat a main villain. Oh yeah like a bastard anti hero is gonna save the universe.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.