Bardock Appreciation Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Bardock Appreciation Thread

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:48 am

No hating in this thread, this is a place of happiness. 8)

I'll admit I've only ever seen the Bardock film dubbed...but I really love it. I never really get to see people talk about the character or the film, so I made a thread dedicated to man with true Saiyan pride. Although I'd love to see the original JPN version, one of the reasons why I love the film so much is because of Bardock's dubbed voice.

"My Son" <- I get chills every time I hear that.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Bardock Appreciation Thread

Post by Perfect » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:52 am

I've always felt the television specials were pretty deep and symbolic. The contrast between Freeza, Bardock and the Saiyan race as a whole was very well executed. The character development was great too, seeing as how Bardock changed and eventually challenged Freeza while his comrades were out doing other things (and couldn't give a damn about him).
I can totally see why Mr. Toriyama added him into the manga.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:19 am

Yay!! Another one.

Bardock was a warrior. He was strong and loved his teammates (awww). He looks like the Vegeta-side of Goku and got all excited when he was recognized by Freeza. Image

Well I kind of thought Bardock was completely different, untill I saw his special. I don't think he really cared for Goku that much, but he did care for the Saiyans. And that's really something. :)

Toriyama-sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toriyama-sama » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:38 am

If you have never seen the original version, you absolutely need to. There are so many pieces of great music... especially Solid State Scouter...

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:45 am

I don't understand the fandom behind Bardock. Yeah, he was brave for challenging Freeza on his own.

But he was a Saiyan warrior, and probably slaughtered hundreds of innocents over his lifetime. Probably picked his teeth with the bones of small children after devouring their parents' entrails. He probably listened to tapes of the wails of invalids burning to fall asleep at night. He likely killed small animals as a hobby. I bet his headband was made of the skin of stripped baby's skin. You know how in WWII, the Nazis made lampshades from human skin? The Saiyans' entire room spreads were made of that. And his armor fashioned from melting the teeth of his enemies. He broke in his battle boots by stomping on the elderly.

The Saiyans were a horrible, horrible race.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:19 am

Its because he was "badass" and Goku's father. And one of the only movie/special characters to make it into canon. I too don't see what's so special about him, but he's a good character.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Choice195
Banned

Post by Choice195 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:54 am

I love him because he created Goku. :P

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:00 am

penguintruth wrote:I don't understand the fandom behind Bardock. Yeah, he was brave for challenging Freeza on his own.

But he was a Saiyan warrior, and probably slaughtered hundreds of innocents over his lifetime. Probably picked his teeth with the bones of small children after devouring their parents' entrails. He probably listened to tapes of the wails of invalids burning to fall asleep at night. He likely killed small animals as a hobby. I bet his headband was made of the skin of stripped baby's skin. You know how in WWII, the Nazis made lampshades from human skin? The Saiyans' entire room spreads were made of that. And his armor fashioned from melting the teeth of his enemies. He broke in his battle boots by stomping on the elderly.

That's why they died.

Choice195
Banned

Post by Choice195 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:06 am

penguintruth wrote:I don't understand the fandom behind Bardock. Yeah, he was brave for challenging Freeza on his own.

What the hell are you talking about?! :shock:

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:08 am

Choice195 wrote:

He's talking about how cruel the Saiya-Jin was and it's true.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:12 am

His shoe laces were made of the entrails of his mother and he once wore a necklace of ears. Also, you know how monkeys eat bananas? Oozaru don't eat bananas. They eat your best friend, peeling him like one, first.

One time, Bardock was bathing in a pool of infant blood, and he lost his favorite bath toy, the head of his favorite dog, who he had killed for barking too loudly during a hangover of his. So, Bardock swam out and found the nearest alien race, forcing them into the blood pool to find it, drowning them, laughing all the way. It turned out that he never even brought his toy that day. When he discovered this, he ripped off another dog's head, just in case it ever really happened. When their owners objected, he slaughtered their entire family.

This was Bardock's Tuesdays.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Choice195
Banned

Post by Choice195 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:13 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
Choice195 wrote:

He's talking about how cruel the Saiya-Jin was and it's true.
I know they were cruel but picking their teet hwith the bones of small children after devouring their parents, his headband made of baby skin, his armor from melting teeth of his enemies?! That's barbaric and cruel at the same time.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:27 am

Well, look, I'm not the cruel one here. It's not my fault Bardock tore out peoples' stomachs and used them as "bathroom sacks" for defecating in, as he spat onto the charred corpses of his enemies. And by "enemies", I mean any living thing he was pointed at by Freeza.

I have it on authority that Bardock was even cruel among Saiyans. Celipa was born a male, but Bardock blasted his privates until he was forced to become a woman. He did this because he was depressed one day when his favorite war prize woman died during brutal "sex" and wanted to cheer up.

Sounds to me like some of you need to find characters to appreciate who wouldn't wipe their ass with your tongue after ripping them out just for kicks.

Let's see, let me find a character who's killed fewer people for you to like... hm, I hear Tao Pai Pai could use some appreciation.
Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Can I get a Schemen?

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:38 am

Umm..... where did you get the idea of Bardock doing all that stuff?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:39 am

He's a Saiyan. It was all they ever did. You think they had a rich cultural heritage? Their culture was murder.

Can I get a Schemen?

Choice195
Banned

Post by Choice195 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:41 am

penguintruth wrote:He's a Saiyan. It was all they ever did.
Where did you hear that?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:42 am

Were we watching the same show?

Can I get a Schemen?

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:43 am

penguintruth you are talking to the girl who as a child used to adore (and adore till now) Conan&Belit paring and take Vlad Tepes as one of the most interesting being in history, so your picturesque descriptions were delivered to wrong address.

From the time the first tale was told sex and violence were the best way to make interesting story. People in peaceful times have desire of blood- especially when it's delivered in a bun of unrealistic setting. The violence in DBZ isn't something that can make us feel uncomfortable.
In fact Sayians weren't better than Frieza- but they are "our guys", we identify with them, cry when they lose etc. I know that director treacherously manipulate my feelings, but I don't mind that.
I like that movie, because thanks to that we can get to know a little about Saiyan culture- I with it were more!
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:48 am

Oh, I know. I was just describing things as outrageous as I could think of for cheap thrills.

But you have to admit, Bardock probably slaughtered thousands without losing a night's sleep. Except that night he devoured the Hulags from Shatlan Beta. That's like bad Mexican food. He was on the bathroom sack all night that night.

Can I get a Schemen?

Toriyama-sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toriyama-sama » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:04 am

So, are you saying people can't like Bardock because he was evil? Then no one can like Piccolo Daimao, Freeza, Cell and Majin Boo either.