"Not 'til the fish jumps"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Re: "Not 'til the fish jumps"

Post by Makaioshin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:48 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Great Saiyaman I wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:What joke is there originally? All it is is just some random ass shot of Piccolo and Vegeta
Its the awkwardness of the scene that is the joke. The villain is defeated, everyone has gone home, and... there's Piccolo and Vegeta on a rock. It's because they're the loners, and they're sitting on rock there quietly, that it is funny. Of course, if you don't get the joke this isn't going to sound funny or make any sense.
I just see it as the usual "Obligatory random shot of Piccolo and Vegeta" that was done in Movie 9. I don't possibly see how you could pull any humor out of it. At least the dub pointed out the silliness of *Random Piccolo and Vegeta shot**Random Fish jump*
The joke is that is supposed to be silly for them to still be sitting there by themselves.
Last edited by Makaioshin on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:49 pm

it's more than just the 2 talking to eachother.

I find it hilarious when the characters acknowledge when they know that they are in a cartoon.

Kind of how early DB manga panels had people bouncing into the sides of and outside of the animated block.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:04 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:it's more than just the 2 talking to eachother.

I find it hilarious when the characters acknowledge when they know that they are in a cartoon.

Kind of how early DB manga panels had people bouncing into the sides of and outside of the animated block.
Hence why I mentioned some guys who didn't like it, might've liked it more in DB or Dr. Slump.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:12 pm

It might be funny when you think about it, but when you see it, it's not. Which really doesn't make it a joke now does it?
El Conejo Malo

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Bardo117 wrote:It might be funny when you think about it, but when you see it, it's not. Which really doesn't make it a joke now does it?
But it's a visual jo- GAH! MY BRAIN!
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:23 pm

Bardo117 wrote:It might be funny when you think about it, but when you see it, it's not. Which really doesn't make it a joke now does it?
While I did not find it funny it was quite easy to recognize it as a joke.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:01 am

LeprikanGT wrote:In the dub of the show they say "Is it over?".....Not til the fish jumps".....Okay, its over" and then the movie ends. I thought that was just absolutely hilarious, so I wanted to get people opinion on it.
I'm late to the party, I know, but I always thought of it as a little omake that Chris Sabat snuck in during that very last scene, and he got away with it. :)

It always seemed funny that Piccolo and Vegeta were angsting on an ice floe somewhere, even without the line as on the Japanese side. ("And the fish goes 'bloop', and that's how the movie ends, and then it goes: DUH-DA-DA-dA DUH-DA-DA-DA dat dat DA-DA, AH AAAAAAH-AHH!")
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:22 am

Great Saiyaman I wrote:
But it's a visual jo- GAH! MY BRAIN!
I didn't perceive that final scene to be a joke at all. I just thought it was a random shot of Piccolo and Vegeta chilling on an ice block.

I'm not against FUNimation adding a joke in there, but not when it's a stupid as "not until the fish jumps". Either come up with something that's actually funny, or don't add anything.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:43 pm

What's with the "This movie is brought to you by waves and rocks" thing that was mentioned? I'm guessing it's due to the Toei(or is it Shueisha?) logo shown at the beginning with the waves and rocks. Was there a dub line from it?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Big Momma wrote:What's with the "This movie is brought to you by waves and rocks" thing that was mentioned? I'm guessing it's due to the Toei(or is it Shueisha?) logo shown at the beginning with the waves and rocks. Was there a dub line from it?
It was during Mr. Satan's Cell Games Re-enactment. It started out with the usual Toei intro, except it said ZTV. And in the dub, you hear a bunch of singers saying, "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAVES AND ROOOOOOOOOOCKS" and a voice saying "This movie is brought to you by waves and rocks"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Yeah, the Cell Game Re-enactment opened with the logo, and FUNimation changed it to a corporate sponsor with a little jingle: "Waaaves and Rooocks!" followed by an announcer going, "This program is brought to you by Waves and Rocks."

EDIT: Aaaaand... yeah. :cry:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Doesn't this also happen in the Bojack movie? Vegeta and Piccolo are on the roof top by themselves.
El Conejo Malo

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Bardo117 wrote:Doesn't this also happen in the Bojack movie? Vegeta and Piccolo are on the roof top by themselves.
Vegeta and Piccolo were on a rooftop alone, but they said nothing.
-Joey

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:01 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
Bardo117 wrote:Doesn't this also happen in the Bojack movie? Vegeta and Piccolo are on the roof top by themselves.
Yeah, I know. That wasn't very funny though.
El Conejo Malo

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, the Cell Game Re-enactment opened with the logo, and FUNimation changed it to a corporate sponsor with a little jingle: "Waaaves and Rooocks!" followed by an announcer going, "This program is brought to you by Waves and Rocks."

EDIT: Aaaaand... yeah. :cry:
I must find the writer who thought this was funny and throw him in some waves and rocks. :evil:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Bardo117 wrote:
jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
Yeah, I know. That wasn't very funny though.
Well, nothing happened where if somebody could put dialogue that would warrant 2 drum beats and a cymbal crash.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:58 pm

Castor Troy wrote: I must find the writer who thought this was funny and throw him in some waves and rocks. :evil:
Lol, I'll help. :P

Dbzbabe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dbzbabe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:15 pm

*couldn't help myself*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-qFeJGaYQs

I'm sure its a Japanese saying like we say "it ant over till the fat lady sings"
Tackle life with as much energy as Goku! I'll try to do the same! - Akira Toriyama

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:59 am

Dbzbabe wrote:*couldn't help myself*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-qFeJGaYQs

I'm sure its a Japanese saying like we say "it ant over till the fat lady sings"
So you are THE MsDBZbabe?
And by the way I already posted your parody on the first page of this thread, just saying...

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:56 am

LeprikanGT wrote:Ding-Ding-Ding-duh-duh-Ding-Ding, Ding-Ding-Ding-duh-duh-Ding-Ding.

Although I LOVE the dub, I don't see why sub fans would have a problem with it since it doesn't change the plot and doesn't toss out any false information.
I don't care for it, because I think the line is pretty lame(more of an eye-roller than anything), and there shouldn't be anything there. The job of a dub isn't to be creative or add things to the original material. A dub should do its best to translate and accurately convey the original material. Another thing is that it's pretty unusual for Dragonball to "acknowledge itself as a cartoon". There is one case in the first 13 episodes, but that was during the "gag manga" phase of the production.

It doesn't make me angry or anything, but I don't think it should be there and I think it's kind of stupid, personally.