"Not 'til the fish jumps"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

"Not 'til the fish jumps"

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:38 am

At the end of the Super Android 13 movie, the very end is of Vegeta and Piccolo sitting on a tiny piece of ice floating in the water, a fish hops out the water and the movie is over.

In the dub of the show they say "Is it over?".....Not til the fish jumps".....Okay, its over" and then the movie ends. I thought that was just absolutely hilarious, so I wanted to get people opinion on it.

It doesn't change the story any, just adds comic relief. So I wanted to see if the dub fans knew it wasn't there to begin with or if Sub fans knew it was added and such.

**I don't have sound on my computer, I apologize for the lack of a clip.**

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Not 'til the fish jumps"

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:53 am

LeprikanGT wrote:At the end of the Super Android 13 movie, the very end is of Vegeta and Piccolo sitting on a tiny piece of ice floating in the water, a fish hops out the water and the movie is over.

In the dub of the show they say "Is it over?".....Not til the fish jumps".....Okay, its over" and then the movie ends. I thought that was just absolutely hilarious, so I wanted to get people opinion on it.

It doesn't change the story any, just adds comic relief. So I wanted to see if the dub fans knew it wasn't there to begin with or if Sub fans knew it was added and such.

So no question? Then shouldn't this be in general discussion?
Either way here is the original clip and a parody

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:02 am

Yeah, I know it wasn't there. I don't really have anything against the line, because the two of them sitting together like that was ridiculous to begin with, and it's not like breaking the forth wall is completely unheard of in Dragon Ball.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 am

dbgtFO wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:At the end of the Super Android 13 movie, the very end is of Vegeta and Piccolo sitting on a tiny piece of ice floating in the water, a fish hops out the water and the movie is over.

The question was seeing peoples opinions of it on Sub vs Dub vs if they knew it existed at all.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:20 am

It's one of the rare times when I consider the dub's attempt at making a funny to be a success. Especially because said attempt wasn't shoehorned into a serious moment, or a "substitute" for a different, more accurate line. It was just something fun and extra tossed in.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:28 am

I thought the line itself was an OK joke but the delivery kinda sucked.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:47 am

Didn't the Jump special make fun of it? Or did they do the "waves crashing on the rocks things"?

I could have sworn I've seen the fish jump clip somewhere else.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:56 am

LeprikanGT wrote:Didn't the Jump special make fun of it? Or did they do the "waves crashing on the rocks things"?

It's just sort of a cliche to show fishes jumping out of lakes, so it happens a few times throughout DB, sometimes as shorthand for "everything is peaceful now". Pretty sure that happens in DBZ movie 3 for instance, when we see the Earth recovering.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Herms wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:Didn't the Jump special make fun of it? Or did they do the "waves crashing on the rocks things"?

It's just sort of a cliche to show fishes jumping out of lakes, so it happens a few times throughout DB, sometimes as shorthand for "everything is peaceful now". Pretty sure that happens in DBZ movie 3 for instance, when we see the Earth recovering.
I always get kinda happy when I see a "Herms" or "Mike" post right after mine; means I'm pretty much going to get the correct information or the right answer.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:37 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:

The question was seeing peoples opinions of it on Sub vs Dub vs if they knew it existed at all.
I can understand that, you just didn't word out a question in your OP, and since it isn't "in universe" I naturally assumed it belonged in General Discussion, it doesn't seem like any mod's gonna change that though, but whatever.

On topic: I think this scene was as random, as the original ending, so I'm kinda indifferent to it. I actually didn't know it existed until I saw the parody of it.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:51 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:"Is it over?".....Not til the fish jumps".....Okay, its over"
I constantly see people cite this as a hilarious dub change, but I cannot even fathom what about this is supposed to be funny. It just doesn't come within a hundred miles of my funny bone.

However, I am strangely amused by: "This movie is brought to you by waves and rocks." I end up thinking of it every time I watch a Toei film.

Also, "What's your opinion of ______?" isn't much of a question question. It's just another way of saying, "Let's talk about ______." So I think I'm gonna move this.
-Rachel

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:04 pm

I'm not sure why I laughed at this particluar line. But then again, I laugh at most of the ridiculous lines FUNimation's dub has, or any dub for that matter. Do I think it's clever or witty? No. Given a little time to think of it, I'm sure there are a lot better jokes one could make about a fish jumping at the end of a movie. I just happened to think it's funny at that moment, due in part to the fact that I certainly wasn't expecting it.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:05 pm

TripleRach wrote:I constantly see people cite this as a hilarious dub change, but I cannot even fathom what about this is supposed to be funny. It just doesn't come within a hundred miles of my funny bone.
Yeah, I didn't find it funny either. The first time I saw it, I was like, "Huh, that's weird", but that was it.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:12 pm

TripleRach wrote: Also, "What's your opinion of ______?" isn't much of a question question. It's just another way of saying, "Let's talk about ______." So I think I'm gonna move this.
Yeah a mod listened to me(or not :lol: )
And yeah the "waves and rocks" one is way funnier, than that particular scene.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:33 pm

I didn't like it at all.

After years of watching movie 7 fansubbed, I got used to having no dialogue in there.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:38 pm

I think its hilarious.

But each version has their unique charm when it comes to each joke.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:49 pm

One of the dub's few great additions. All it does is point out an already ridiculous bit of animation.
TripleRach wrote:I constantly see people cite this as a hilarious dub change, but I cannot even fathom what about this is supposed to be funny. It just doesn't come within a hundred miles of my funny bone.
Because it's pointing out something that's already totally ridiculous in the footage. It's basically an MST3K moment.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 pm

I'll go with that one. Even way after the battle, WHY would they even be chillin on a little ice block?

The world may never know.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:57 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:I'll go with that one. Even way after the battle, WHY would they even be chillin on a little ice block?

The world may never know.

Ice, Ice baby
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Ding-Ding-Ding-duh-duh-Ding-Ding, Ding-Ding-Ding-duh-duh-Ding-Ding.

Although I LOVE the dub, I don't see why sub fans would have a problem with it since it doesn't change the plot and doesn't toss out any false information.