The Goku Appreciation Thread!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

The Goku Appreciation Thread!

Post by SaiyaMel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:20 am

'Bout time someone started such a thread.. So much criticism over the guy that has pretty much been beaten to death... shitty husband/father, blah blah blah blah.. Now for some positive discussion.

Discuss..
Just Saiyan...

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The Goku Appreciation Thread!

Post by Perfect » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:21 am

Goku's the guy that inspired me to stay in shape. It's because of him that I do my push-ups and drink my juice. :P
I'd have to say in terms of good guys, he's my favorite anime/manga character ever. If there's anyone I want to be more like, it's Son Goku.
Last edited by Perfect on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:23 am

Perfect wrote:Goku's the guy that inspired me to stay in shape. It's because of him that I do my push-ups and drink my juice. :P
I'd have to say in terms of good guys, he's my favorite anime/manga character ever. If there was anyone I want to be more like, it's be Son Goku.
I thought you liked Cell....

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:26 am

Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:27 am

Ah, but you see, largely why Goku is great is because of his faults, not in spite of them. I like that he's a little selfish. That he's a bit out of touch. That he can be careless. That he's not a particularly good family man. This seperates him from traditional do gooder heroes. He's a big kid, and kind of a jerk, but not out of spite or malice, just because that's sort of how he is.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:29 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
Perfect wrote:Goku's the guy that inspired me to stay in shape. It's because of him that I do my push-ups and drink my juice. :P
I'd have to say in terms of good guys, he's my favorite anime/manga character ever. If there's anyone I want to be more like, it's Son Goku.
I thought you liked Cell....
I do, but Cell's not exactly a great role model. Goku isn't like the all mighty and flawless Superman either.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:30 am

penguintruth wrote:Ah, but you see, largely why Goku is great is because of his faults, not in spite of them. I like that he's a little selfish. That he's a bit out of touch. That he can be careless. That he's not a particularly good family man. This seperates him from traditional do gooder heroes. He's a big kid, and kind of a jerk, but not out of spite or malice, just because that's sort of how he is.
That wasn't a gross, exaggerated, out-of-context take on Goku at all. Son, I am disappoint.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:37 am

Zephyr wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Ah, but you see, largely why Goku is great is because of his faults, not in spite of them. I like that he's a little selfish. That he's a bit out of touch. That he can be careless. That he's not a particularly good family man. This seperates him from traditional do gooder heroes. He's a big kid, and kind of a jerk, but not out of spite or malice, just because that's sort of how he is.
That wasn't a gross, exaggerated, out-of-context take on Goku at all. Son, I am disappoint.
Where's our old penguintruth?
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:42 am

Who's "Goku"? Let's talk about a more well-known character, like Appule.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:25 am

Zephyr wrote:That wasn't a gross, exaggerated, out-of-context take on Goku at all. Son, I am disappoint.
Not really, Goku really can be a dick if you read between the lines. Of course you've got your "hero" moments, where he proves to be good and pure of heart, but he's pure to a fault. He's so innocent that he doesn't really realise when he's actually being a huge jerk, letting Vegeta live so he can have a good challenge (nevermind endangering the earth, ya know), sending his son into battle with the most powerful being in existence (yes, it was a plan to save the world, but still, come on, it's his son and he does it without batting an eye), and leaving his family to train some complete stranger so he can have a tough new rival. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but those are big character-defining moments right there.
I fuckin' love him though.
Stop with these fan wanking threads now please.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:59 am

As if this guy needs any more appreciation. But you can never have too much love.
What I like about Goku:

- He does treat his kids right most of the time when he's around.
- He's fun with Vegeta in the Buu saga.
- He's a japanese kids icon.
- His lovable gravity training in S1.
- He's a special kind of funny. (Like the time he goes (@,@) in mid-battle in movie 8.)

He could try to be more fun with his friends though. Toy with them, I mean they're
interesting and likable despite being weaker than him. Stick around dude! :mrgreen:
(And by "toy" I don't mean "make cruel or harsh remarks")

So just to clear things out....Which one is the Goku ?:
A...............B................C................D.................E..................

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:20 am

Rory wrote:
Zephyr wrote:That wasn't a gross, exaggerated, out-of-context take on Goku at all. Son, I am disappoint.
Not really, Goku really can be a dick if you read between the lines.
I know he can. I was saying that that wasn't an exaggeration. :P

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:31 am

What's a "Goku"?

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Rory wrote:
Not really, Goku really can be a dick if you read between the lines.
I know he can. I was saying that that wasn't an exaggeration. :P
Ah, internet.
Thought it was sarcasm. My apologies. :)

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 pm

I like Goku a lot. (It's kinda hard to like a series if you hate the main character) *cough* EVA,Naruto*cough* I like that he isn't perfect and he's just a goofy child. But I don't know what else to say other than he's a pretty cool guy. We should talk about...

This
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Who's "Goku"? Let's talk about a more well-known character, like Appule.
Ahiru77 wrote: So just to clear things out....Which one is the Goku ?:
A...............B................C................D.................E..................
One of these things doesn't belong~
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Rory wrote:
Zephyr wrote: I know he can. I was saying that that wasn't an exaggeration. :P
Ah, internet.
Thought it was sarcasm. My apologies. :)
Haha its cool.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Cipher wrote:What's a "Goku"?
Wow. This + that avatar = I just woke up the entire house laughing.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Ahiru77 wrote:So just to clear things out....Which one is the Goku ?:
It's clearly F.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:01 pm

I love Goku.
El Conejo Malo

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Goku is such a fun character, he's what got me interested in DB to begin with. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!