Dragon Ball Online Original Story

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Online Original Story

Post by Chuquita » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:46 am

So much appreciation for this! Thank you, DongHyun!

I ran the new couple posts through Google's translator (Google's isn't the best, but it gives you a rough idea) and DongHyun's most recent three posts are about Buu's quest for love and looks like it details the stuff about Boobie a little better.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DongHyun
Beyond Newbie

Post by DongHyun » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:56 am

JulieYBM wrote:
DongHyun wrote:New Stroy ... !!

http://cafe.daum.net/FoReVerDB/70rX/5636
Hey, thanks a lot for bringing us up to speed on this new information (although you probably don't speak any English, it's nice to see you caring about us in the English-speaking world!)

So yeah, where's our Korean-speaking users? :p

9page.

나메크 성인의 경종

프리더에 의해 자신들의 별이 파괴된 나메크 성인들은 일시적
으로 지구에 피난을 온 후. 이듬해 새로운 별인 신 나메크성으
로 이주했다.
그들은 신천지에서 새로운 생활을 영위하기 위해 노력했다. 집
을 짓고 아지사 나무를 심었다. 필요 이상으로 소비 행동을 하
지 않는 그들은. 머지 않아 옛 나메크성과 같은 생활환경을 되
찾아 갔다.
그러나. 이주 후 약 100년이 지난 Age 851년. 신 나메크성에
이변이 일어났다. 아무것도 없는 공간에 갑자기 섬광이 나타
나. 그곳에서부터 정체불명의 군세가 무수히 나타났다. 그것
은 과거 지구에서 파괴의 끝을 보여준 인조인간 집단이었다.
그리고 그들은 나메크 성인들의 마을을 무차별 공격하기 시작
했다.

「어째서! 이런 녀석들이 집단으로…. 지금의 우주에 존재할
리가 없는데….」

나메크 성인들은 놀라고 당황했다.
그런 가운데. 군세를 이끌던 한 명의 남자가 나메크 성인의 무
리 장로에게 다음과 같은 요구를 했다.

「원하는 건 단지 하나. 미라에게 드래곤볼을 바쳐라!」
「미라…? 설마….」

미라라는 이름에. 무엇인가를 깨달은 무리 장로는 그들의 요구
를 거부. 나메크 전사들은 필사적으로 저항했다.
그러나. 극명한 힘의 차이. 미라를 자칭하는 세력 앞에 그들의
공격은 무력했다.

「바칠 생각이 없다는 건가. 그럼 이 별을 파괴할 수 밖에….」

그렇게 말하며 남자는 양손을 하늘 높이 들어 올렸다.
그리고 이어서 적의 부대 전원이 똑같이 양손을 내밀어 남자에
게 에너지를 보내기 시작했다. 남자의 머리 위에서 서서히 축
적되어 가는 거대한 에너지탄….

「사라져라, 나메크 성인!」

남자의 손에서 발사된 것은 …… 특대 원기옥!
섬광에 싸여 대폭발을 일으키는 신 나메크성.
나메크 성인들이 신천지에 쌓아 올린 100년의 역사는. 한순간
에 사라진 것이다.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:27 am

So what happened to the Namekian Dragon Balls. Are they on Earth too?
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:32 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:I thought he had a lot of the creative control, and not just designs. What happened to him not being in control of creative?
Here's what Amaranth Sparrow had to say about Toriyama's involvement in the DBO thread. The two quotes from him are from two different posts, and the one in the middle is my own comment I made asking for clarification:
Amaranth Sparrow wrote:It's also worth noting that Akira Toriyama's really involved in the game, and has to sign off on every single character design, scenery, item, and story element introduced in the game.
But while he signs off on the story elements, he didn't actually write the story, did he? I've seen people describe the DBO background story you posted, and the DBO story in general, as having come from Toriyama, but from what I've read it seems the game scenario was written by the game staff, and Toriyama's main involvement in the game is in the way of character designs. From what you've read/heard, would you say that's accurate?
Amaranth Sparrow wrote:Yeah, from what I've seen, that sounds about right. His direct involvement seems to mainly revolve around the character designs and the general look of the game, and beyond that, it's just general supervision. He probably contributes concepts for the story, but leaves the important details up to the scenario writers. Of course, it's hard to tell just how involved people are with games like this if they don't explicitly state what they've done.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks to your friend, Kiyza. :)

*phew*...Now that I know what the backstory is and what that school was about DBO is okay. :mrgreen:b
Toriyama sure likes H e r c u l e (My way) & Buu. He gave them a lot of "life".

Also lol at Goku & Vegeta part. As if they were fooling anyone. :lol:

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:48 am

I want a guidebook about DBO story, now!

Super Saiyajin Luffy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Saiyajin Luffy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:02 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:I want a guidebook about DBO story, now!
The buddy of Kiyza has found a link to the guidebook, there will be 7(!!!) parts, don't know what this means...

EDIT:
Dare me, forget to put the link in...

http://book.interpark.com/product/BookD ... =206410436
Last edited by Super Saiyajin Luffy on Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragonBall Xenoverse Fighting Mechanics breakdown
The DragonBall Xenoverse pre-release Q&A and general information post
Rukura about Sparking Omega wrote:I'm imagining people from Namco Bandai looking at these big sites talking about the announcement and them going "Wait....what?! Did we do that? Are we doing that? *turns to Spike* Are you people doing that?"
DB Xenoverse is not a DBZ simulator with fighting elements, it's a semi competent fighting/action game with DBZ simulation elements.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:10 pm

I just realized this completely rewrites Vegeta's initial "final death". There was an interview a long time ago where someone asked Toriyama which character of the main cast would die first and he answered Vegeta would die early from something stress-related (I guessed like a heart attack or something similar from over-working his body in the gravity room.) I always thought it was kind of sad that he'd die young, like it would happen to him when no one else was around and Bulma would happen upon him the next morning.

The DBO storyline altered his fate. That's pretty cool.

Looking forward to those 7 parts! :3 Thank you for the translations!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:18 pm

I thought Vegeta's "death" was a conjecture he made about the character, not a matter-of-fact scenario.

And what is this about a 7-part guidebook?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:26 pm

B wrote:I thought Vegeta's "death" was a conjecture he made about the character, not a matter-of-fact scenario.
Yeah, pretty much. From Daizenshuu 4:
[Character who] Looks like he'll die early: Vegeta
"Everybody dies eventually, but Vegeta seems like he has high blood pressure so he'll probably go suddenly."
Maybe Vegeta lost to Goku in their final battle, causing him to have a heart attack and die? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:42 pm

B wrote:Toriyama has been working on the designs for players, monsters, and the game's overworld for at least five years. He approves story concepts as well. That's enough for me to consider it "official."
Isn't that how GT was done, though?

Super Saiyajin Luffy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Saiyajin Luffy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:52 pm

B wrote:I thought Vegeta's "death" was a conjecture he made about the character, not a matter-of-fact scenario.

And what is this about a 7-part guidebook?
Sorry, forgot to put the link in...

http://book.interpark.com/product/BookD ... =206410436

The Chronicle is just part 1:
This>> http://cafe.daum.net/FoReVerDB/70rX/5635
DragonBall Xenoverse Fighting Mechanics breakdown
The DragonBall Xenoverse pre-release Q&A and general information post
Rukura about Sparking Omega wrote:I'm imagining people from Namco Bandai looking at these big sites talking about the announcement and them going "Wait....what?! Did we do that? Are we doing that? *turns to Spike* Are you people doing that?"
DB Xenoverse is not a DBZ simulator with fighting elements, it's a semi competent fighting/action game with DBZ simulation elements.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Chuquita wrote:I just realized this completely rewrites Vegeta's initial "final death". There was an interview a long time ago where someone asked Toriyama which character of the main cast would die first and he answered Vegeta would die early from something stress-related (I guessed like a heart attack or something similar from over-working his body in the gravity room.) I always thought it was kind of sad that he'd die young, like it would happen to him when no one else was around and Bulma would happen upon him the next morning.
When Toriyama said that Vegeta would die form something stress related I couldn't help but find it hilarious. Instead Bulma finding him dead in the GR room, Bra would introduce him to her newest weak boyfriend and announce to everyone that she was pregnant. Vegeta, filled with unspeakable rage, would drop dead right there and then.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Rocketman wrote:
B wrote:Toriyama has been working on the designs for players, monsters, and the game's overworld for at least five years. He approves story concepts as well. That's enough for me to consider it "official."
Isn't that how GT was done, though?
Forgive me, I should have used a different term. Toriyama approved GT(more like didn't care), but is supervising Online. There's no evidence or source that points to Toriyama being involved in the development of the storyline throughout GT, unless you count GT director and head writer Osamu Kasai and Aya Matsui, respectively, rehashing the series as a whole. You have me on character designs, though. Toriyama is the one who gave Trunks No. 17's clothes and cut Vegeta's hair.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:23 pm

B wrote:There's no evidence or source that points to Toriyama being involved in the development of the storyline throughout GT, unless you count GT director and head writer Osamu Kasai and Aya Matsui, respectively, rehashing the series as a whole. You have me on character designs, though. Toriyama is the one who gave Trunks No. 17's clothes and cut Vegeta's hair.
Yeah, to quote Amaranth Sparrow again, Toriyama "has to sign off on every single character design, scenery, item, and story element introduced in the game". For GT, Toriyama just did some designs for characters, vehicles, planets, and logos. He doesn't seem to have had any input on the characters he didn't design (whereas for DBO he has to at least give his seal of approval), and there's nothing saying he signed off on any of GT's story elements like he apparently has to for DBO. What's more, all Toriyama's input for GT came at the very beginning, and he had nothing at all to do with any of the later character designs or anything else. For DBO it seems like his involvement has been much more consistent from start to finish. Doesn't necessarily make the game better than GT, but Toriyama's involvement with it certainly seems to have been different.

Gamma

Post by Gamma » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:26 pm

Super Saiyajin Luffy wrote: The buddy of Kiyza has found a link to the guidebook, there will be 7(!!!) parts, don't know what this means...
Why are we being so secretive over who this guy really is? Just say his name already, he deserves some credit.

It's Citrinate, the admin of DBOCOM. The same dude who ripped all of that DBO character artwork a few months back.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Gamma wrote:
Super Saiyajin Luffy wrote: The buddy of Kiyza has found a link to the guidebook, there will be 7(!!!) parts, don't know what this means...
Why are we being so secretive over who this guy really is? Just say his name already, he deserves some credit.

It's Citrinate, the admin of DBOCOM. The same dude who ripped all of that DBO character artwork a few months back.
Well, I suppose it's my fault for not calling him by name. But yeah, Citrinate is the webmaster of the site that I linked to, and dare I say he's a pretty cool guy. And he pops stuff into Google Translate I may not have the effort to on my own. Credit goes to him for that stuff, I just copied and pasted.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:54 am

I hope someone capable of translating this giant mess of text I can't even begin to understand shows up soon. While some of it isn't hard to understand with a translator tool, other parts end up complete gibberish. I'm not into MMORPGs really, but this being Dragon Ball related, the background at least has me very interested and the more details that can be found, the better.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:30 am

Scarz wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I just realized this completely rewrites Vegeta's initial "final death". There was an interview a long time ago where someone asked Toriyama which character of the main cast would die first and he answered Vegeta would die early from something stress-related (I guessed like a heart attack or something similar from over-working his body in the gravity room.) I always thought it was kind of sad that he'd die young, like it would happen to him when no one else was around and Bulma would happen upon him the next morning.
When Toriyama said that Vegeta would die form something stress related I couldn't help but find it hilarious. Instead Bulma finding him dead in the GR room, Bra would introduce him to her newest weak boyfriend and announce to everyone that she was pregnant. Vegeta, filled with unspeakable rage, would drop dead right there and then.
This is more awesome than the final battle scenario in Dragon Ball Online. :lol:
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Amaranth Sparrow

Post by Amaranth Sparrow » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:26 pm

Okay, I'll try and do my best with what I have, but my Korean is extremely weak. Hopefully this game will get released in Japan soon and better translations can follow.

First of all, thank you DongHyun, for transcribing the text. Would it be possible for you to transcribe the timeline, too? http://cafe.daum.net/FoReVerDB/70rX/5635

This is all from the Dragon Ball Online Official Guide Book, Chapter 1: Chronicle, which details the backstory of the game. For the time being, I'll just build off what Kiyza has posted.

Timeline:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Satan wins 29th World Martial Arts Tournament. Buu comes in 2nd.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Satan wins 30th World Martial Arts Tournament. Buu comes in 2nd.

Buu creates a female companion.

Buu and his wife "hug" to create their first child.

Mr. Satan retires from fighting.

Mr. Satan starts a martial arts school.

Pan becomes an instructor in Mr. Satan's school.

Mr Satan's film "Satan Legend" is released.

Goku goes missing.

자신의 임종을 깨달은 오공은. 마지막으로 매듭을 짓기 우해 베지터와 함께 지구에서 사라진다. 수년 후. 초신성 폭발이 확인되었다. 이것은 손오공과 베지터의 싸움의 영향일지도 모른다.

~ I believe this is saying that they realized they were on his deathbed. Then he and Goku mysteriously vanished from the Earth. Years later, explosions on par with supernovas were detected, which were believed to be caused by a battle between Goku and Vegeta.

Gohan starts research on his book "Groundbreaking Science".

트 랭크스와 오천이 "기공 검술"의 수행을 시작, 현재의 "검술가"의 원조가 돈다.

~ Trunks and Goten found the groundbreaking Kikoukenjutsu Sword School.

Mr. Satan dies.

프리더군 잔당이 지구에 내습, 지구인에 대한 군주의 볼스를 이유로 지구 침릭을 선언. 각지에서 파괴 할동을 벌이는 사건이 발생한다.

~ The remnants of Freeza's army invade Earth because their leader was searching for Earth's Dragon Balls. The destruction was widespread.

포동이 타입의 우주인에 의해 궁지에 빠진다.

~ Not clear what this means.

서 폭 도시의 캡슐 도시화

~ I believe this says that they were able to develop a capsule that could store an entire city.

지구의 위기 앞에, 과거의 용사듈이 거북선인이 있는 곳에 모여 프리더군 잔당올 격파

~ I believe this is saying that the Turtle and Crane schools banded together to save the world.

프 리더군 잔당을 퇴치한 크리링이 "신 거북선류"를 만를어, 현재의 "거북선사"의 선조가 된다.

~ Krillin founding the New Turtle School.

이전부 터 독자적으로 수행을 계속하고 있던 천진반이 "신 학선류"를 정식으로 만든다. 그 제자틀은 "학선사"라고 불려지게 된다.

~ Tienshinhan founding the New Crane School.

The theme park "Buu World" opens. Most of its employees are Majin.

Yajirobe begins cultivating at the base of Karin's Tower.

마 인 마니마니가 프기더군 잔당으로부터 사랑들을 지키고 전사한다. 그의 죽읍이 많은 마인틀에게 큰 영힝을 준다.

마 인 마니마니의 삻에 양항을 받은 마인틀이 세계 각지에서 횔약. 마인의 새로운 직업 '얼티마'. '그랸마'. '카르마'의 선조가 된다.

~ Something like, "because they love the world and want to protect it, the majin spread around the world taking on various professions, such as Karma, Granma, etc."

Mira's troops destroy planet Namek. Namekians migrate to Earth.

The Namekians on Earth reform the land to make it look more like the Planet Namek. The Namekian classes in the game are developed.

100 year anniversary of the Majin Race.

Buu World's 100 year anniversary.

지구에 잠복하고 있던 프리더군 잔당이 부우비 아일랜드를 중심으로 세력을 학대한다.

~ The remnants of the Freeza Army are still lurking around Earth.

Memorial Ceremony for 100 year anniversary of Mr. Satan's death.

Evil Namekians begin to spawn eggs.

100 Year anniversary of Namekian arrival on Earth.

Capsule Corporation history museum opens.

Conflict with the evil Namekians begins as their numbers grow.

어 린 시헐, 한때 부모 슬하에서 벗어나 자연 속에서 생활하는 "개구쟁이 교육"이 나라의 방칭으로 채택된다. "새싹 마을". "베에 빌리지"가 설립된다.

~ Something about punks running away from home and establishing villages in the wilderness.

Wildlife monsters begin to emerge.

Popo stones are constructed all over the Earth.

Emperor Pilaf is again determined to conquer the Earth.

200 year anniversary of the Majin Race.

Red Pants army emerges

쇼 와 론, 캡슐 코퍼레이션을 배반하고 파에리아의 부하가 된다.

~ Sha and Ron (?) betray the Capsule Corporation.

Mira invades the Earth.

Piccolo and Dende gather forces to fend off Mira's invasion.

The Time Patrol arrives to inform of the time crisis the universe faces.

Piccolo investigates the presence of the evil forces (Red Pants, Pilaf, and Mira's Army) on Earth.

피콜로가 조사를 하고 톨아와 미라가 지구를 위혐하고 있음을 텐데 일행에게 보고한다. 퉁시에 현재 지구에는 이 위협에 대항알 만한 전사 가 존재하지 않음을 깨닫는다.

~ I believe it's saying that Piccolo determines that there are not enough warriors to face these threats.

지 구인 증에서 구세주가 나타날 것을 바라며. 덴데가 드래곤볼을 부할시킨다.

~ Something about people searching for a savior and gathering the Dragon Balls.

' 새로운 전사'라고 불리는 인간. 나에크, 마인의 세종족의 수행자틀이 많이 존재하며, 지구를 엄습하는 여러 가지 위기에 대처하기 위해서 수행 및모험을 겨속하고 있다."

~ New champions (humans, namekians, majin) emerge from all over the world to face the challenges.