Toriyama's Intended Ending(s): A Guided Tour

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Toriyama's Intended Ending(s): A Guided Tour

Post by Fin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:17 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:That's clearly not the point he's trying to make, because he's still saying that it has something to do with the series ending. If the twists are shitty, just call them shitty! (Don't see why he gives the Freeza arc so much crap... the entire series is filled with absurd twists.)
Because when you get that many absurd twists all at once they compound and seriously affect the writing. Most of the contrivances in the series can be gotten over with a quick eyeroll, but the Freeza ending kind of hits critical mass.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:23 am

I agree, the Freeza arc would be a perfect end for the series. Even the level of power that the characters reached indicated an ending...

Also, Goku's fate would be perfect. He became the legendary Super Saiyan, a violent being that did not spent Freeza's life and died in Namek.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:33 am

Fox666 wrote:I agree, the Freeza arc would be a perfect end for the series. Even the level of power that the characters reached indicated an ending...

Also, Goku's fate would be perfect. He became the legendary Super Saiyan, a violent being that did not spent Freeza's life and died in Namek.
That fate doesn't really fit the normally happy-go-lucky character we all know.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:02 am

Why does everyone want Goku to die on Namek? Or even think that it's a remotely fitting ending for the series up to that point?

Even in a "Freeza is the ending" scenario, I would still imagine capping off with the revelation that Goku's off adventuring in space somewhere.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:31 am

Makaioshin wrote:That fate doesn't really fit the normally happy-go-lucky character we all know.
Hmm, the anime filler sort of abused on Goku's personality. He looks like a "grow up child". In the manga his behavior is not much like that. He sort of is, but not to the extend the anime shows.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:35 am

Fox666 wrote:Both Saiyan and Freeza arc were about villains looking for the dragon balls, isn't it strange that the dragon balls are not a important factor in the Cell and Buu sagas?

But yeah, you can't have Dr. Gero and Babidi after the Dragon Balls, that would have been too repetitive.
All previous arcs before those have the Dragonballs as the center of conflict. I guess that would make Saiyans and Namek arcs repetitive too? I just think the story loses something when the Dragonballs aren't the reason why bad guys vs. good guys.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Makaioshin wrote:
Fox666 wrote:I agree, the Freeza arc would be a perfect end for the series. Even the level of power that the characters reached indicated an ending...

Yeah, because it was so happy-go-lucky when Kuririn exploded, Nail was beaten to pulp, Vegeta died from severe injuries, Gohan was stomped on, Piccolo was impaled in his chest and almost died, and several Namekians were slaughtered, as well as immobile Ginyu force members being killed in their coma, Jeice being blown to bits, Kiwi and Dodoria joining him in that spectacular way of dying, Guldo having his head chopped off, several members of Freeza's forces having their skulls smashed in, Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chao-zu being dead (after helplessly fighting the Saiya-jins), Gohan being kicked in his guts by Vegeta, getting his hair ripped off by Freeza, Kuririn getting impaled on Freeza's horn, Gohan breaking his neck by a kick from Recoome, Kuririn breaking all his bones in his body by a kick from Recoome, and Goku getting the everlasting shit kicked out of him by Freeza, and Vegeta crying and pleading for Goku to avenge him and his people.
Cipher wrote:Why does everyone want Goku to die on Namek? Or even think that it's a remotely fitting ending for the series up to that point?

Even in a "Freeza is the ending" scenario, I would still imagine capping off with the revelation that Goku's off adventuring in space somewhere.
Simple: Because it's badass. That's why I would like Goku to die on Namek.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Godo wrote:Simple: Because it's badass. That's why I would like Goku to die on Namek.
But it's also cliched and maudlin and completely out-of-tone?

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Cipher wrote:
Godo wrote:Simple: Because it's badass. That's why I would like Goku to die on Namek.
But it's also cliched and maudlin and completely out-of-tone?
Read my above post, it's not out of tone. The story was dark at that time, and with the previous SSJ going under with the planet, Goku doing it also wouldn't be out of place at all.
I don't care if they wished him back later. Dying at Namek would be a fitting end to Goku and Freeza's battle.
Cliched? Sure. But what isn't cliched with Dragonball. It merely uses the same cliched formulas: Goku being pure in his heart and fights a demon (almost biblical). The demon reincarnates and Goku has to fight him again (the final strike to Evil). Goku finds out that he isn't from Earth (Superman reference!). He has to fight his own brother (classic showdown in any litterature, the hero fights against his own kin). Then he fights the strongest one from his planet (also classic, Superman had to fight people from his own planet, heroes fight people who are similar to themselves or from the same ancestry).
He goes into space and fights the strongest guy in the Universe (final fight against the impossible, the hero wins anyways). Then he fights an enemy who knows all his skills and is much stronger than himself (in other works it could be a clone, a shadow version of himself, or himself from another dimension). And then a wizard comes and makes trouble for the heroes with a magic (the hero has to resort to unconventional methods to overcome the threat, in DBZs case; to fusion).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:46 pm

Time to play comment catch-up:
NeoKING wrote:I've noticed that in the most popular series that ran along side DB in Jump during the 80s(JJBA, Saint Seiya, HnK I think), it was common to see "impossible-to-continue" events where the most important characters would get hurt beyond belief, written out of the story, or die and it truly did seem like the end. But then, the authors would find ways to overcome this and continue the series somehow. It was almost like a trend that help boosted their sales and popularity, because readers would want to see how and why the series isn't over.(From what I gather in interviews from fans and manga-ka of that era, movies like Terminator and Rocky were super popular in Japan at the time, and those movies did the same thing. ESPECIALLY Hong Kong cinema flicks.) Maybe Toriyama was kind of the same in using these series-end feints?
An interesting point, and feints like that do go back a long way. Those adventure serials they had in the early days of cinema were pretty notorious for ending episodes with what looked like the hero(es)' impending death, only to reveal some implausible solution in the next installment. The Commander Cody serials (which I'm familiar with via Mystery Science Theater 3000), for instance, did this pretty much every week. For example, one installment would end with Cody and his girlfriend in a plane about to crash. We'd see the plane crash and then it says "to be continued". Then in the next installment they replay this ending scene, only this time we see that Cody and his girlfriend find some parachutes and manage to jump out in the nick of time (as Tom Servo remarks in MST3K, Cody is constantly being "saved by editing"). Anyway, I think Goku's survival on Namek is just a part of this tradition of teasing the audience with the hero's apparently certain doom.
Hellspawn28 wrote:I know this for the manga endings, but I have one question to ask? Was it true that Toei always wanted to end GT at the Bebi Saga or was it just another bad internet rumor?
It's basically just another rumor; I'm pretty sure there's no official source for that idea. There's also rumors that GT was originally planned on running for hundreds of episodes or something. Of course, if GT had been more popular than it was, it almost certainly would have had a longer run, but the idea that Toei had planned from the very beginning for it to run for over a hundred episodes is pretty unrealistic (and again, unsupported by anything official).
nathantheguitarist wrote:Super brain fart right now, but didn't Legacy of Goku end with a clip of the planet exploding and with no explanation as to whether Goku lived or not? I remember it being the ending cutscene but can't remember if there was anything after the clip.

That's definitely not THE reason, but it might have been fuel to the fire, so to say. Or at least something to help some fans be like "Yeah, it could have ended there!"
Yeah, it ends with Freeza saying Goku will die in the planet's destruction, and Goku saying that's OK as long as he stopped Freeza's evil. Then it shows the clip from the anime of Goku screaming while the planet explodes (in really bad video quality, but this is a GBA game after all). Then the narrator explains how the dragonballs were used to revive Freeza's victims, and the now planet-less Namekians are on Earth wondering "what the future will hold for thier people", at which point the credits roll. Maybe there's something after the credits about Goku surviving, but I didn't want to bother waiting for them to wrap up.

(Apropos of nothing, I just realized that the dialogue box character avatars in LOG I are actually much better than the ones in LOG II. Maybe it’s because they’re smaller, so the lack of detail doesn’t become an issue.)
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:b) Goku was shown screaming right as Namek exploded, and being engulfed in the explosion, so how did he have time to grab a space pod? Answer: that was only in the anime. In the manga, it shows Goku yelling, and then it cuts away to the planet exploding in space. Therefore, Goku escaping happened inbetween those panels.
That’s pretty interesting: the anime makes it look even more like Goku died. The manga chapter where Goku is revealed to have survived (329) came out on July 1st, 1991, while the anime that features his apparent death (106) aired September 4th, 1991, over 2 months later. So the anime staff undoubtedly knew when making the episode that Goku was going to survive, but rather than add in hints of this, they instead choose to make his doom seem even more certain than in the manga. That supports my idea that Goku’s survival is simply part of the tradition of feint deaths and miraculous escapes in adventure stories and not a sign of Toriyama changing his plans. In this kind of story gimmick, the more inescapable the situation seems, the more surprising and exciting it is when the hero survives, so the DBZ anime staff would see the details implying that Goku dies as something to be ramped up rather than toned down, despite them knowing he’d survive. Not exactly the best writing, to be sure, but we have to remember that these are stories intended for children, to whom plausibility isn’t as much of a concern.
Lord Exor wrote:Geriatric (albeit unsettling) countenance aside, Dr. Gero was undoubtedly the superlative menace when it boils down to sinister intent. Although this is somewhat tangential to the intent of this thread, age should have little bearing on the gravitas or literary quality of an antagonist.
Heh, though they're not my favorite villains by any stretch, I actually do have something of a soft spot for 19 and 20
(look at how subtlety their designs are the opposite of each other, right down to which parts of their outfits are blacked in or left white in the manga pages). It's just that in my experience of the fandom, I pretty much never see anyone complain about how Torishima badgered Toriyama into switching 19+20 out for 17+18 and then Cell. Instead, when fans complain about editorial interference in DB, they're pretty much guaranteed to talk about the series going past the Freeza or Cell arc, Goku surviving on Namek, Gohan losing his main character status to Goku, despite these being where there's no real evidence that the editor was involved. Meanwhile, in a case where we have actual confirmation that Toriyama's editor (and past editor) had him change the story, nobody seems to care much because, apparently, they think these changes were for the best. So the editors get kind of a bad reputation among fans for being meddling fools due to mere rumors that they were responsible for plot points that many fans hate, but get no credit for the proven fact that they were responsible for plot points most fans like. A bit of a double standard, I think. But anyway, I don't have anything against old villains in and of themselves (Daimao's one of my favorites, including his old form).
GS7X7 wrote:When analyzing the interviews though, one always has to bear in mind how excessively and over-exaggeratedly polite and indirect the Japanese tend to be. Consider that Toriyama's never publicly criticized GT and has praised it. (I think? It's been years, don't remember fully)
In Shenlong Times #7 Toriyama talked fairly favorably of GT, praising the way it managed to continue the story and saying that he could have even continued the manga with such a storyline. Then in his intro to the GT Dragon Box, he said “DragonBall GT is a grand side-story of the original DragonBall, and it'll make me happy for us to watch and enjoy it together". I don’t believe he’s every publicly said anything bad about it. Of course it’s entirely possible that he really hates it but doesn’t say so publicly because it goes against Japanese politeness, and Toriyama in particular seems pretty laid back and not one to make a big stink about anything. The thing I don’t like about this idea though is that it simply assumes that Toriyama pretty much has to dislike GT because so many people do (and it’s impossible to disprove, because any positive thing Toriyama says about GT can just be discounted as him just being nice). But Toriyama’s tastes aren’t necessarily the same as yours or mine. I mean, he liked 2nd-form Cell’s design, for God’s sake; clearly he’s got some odd likes and dislikes. And he’s coming at GT from a different perspective than you or I. Maybe to him any DB show which involved basically no effort on his part is the greatest thing ever. So yeah, Toriyama’s positive statements about GT don’t necessarily prove that he really, truly liked the show, but I don’t think they should be automatically discounted as him just being polite either.
GS7X7 wrote:Also, his niece/daughter saw Vegeta's moustache and was grossed out by it, which is why it got shaved later. (old interview)
It was a relative's daughter who told him Vegeta looked cooler sans mustache, and this reached the anime staff, who decided to get rid of it. This story is told in the GT Perfect Files vol.1.
BobZ wrote:I can't believe that the Cell arc was edited that much. What I understood from the interview is that they were joking and not talking that seriously about it. Sure, there might have been edits, but I think Toriyama-sensei had pretty much thought about it to some extent. He did say he was making it up as every chapter was released, but c'mon, the part about Cell and the fact that he needed the Androids to become complete must have been thought of when the character of Cell was first introduced.
I mean, the idea is there. Why would they power him up to the second form and not let him absorb #18? It wouldn't have been interesting. Of course, there were countless of ways they could've stopped him from doing that and it would have been better to have him achieve his perfect form in a different way (not really sure how though), but it was meant to be, in my opinion.
I think you're looking at it too much from the perspective of the series as we now have it. Keep in mind that Toriyama talked about his ideas for the direction of the story before these things happened. In Viz's Shonen Jump #3, Toriyama mentions that he had monthly meetings with his editor about the stories and characters who would be appearing. Toriyama could have shown Kondou a design for Cell and gotten the character OK'd on the condition that he eventually transform into a different form. Then Cell would make his manga debut and explain about needing to absorb the androids to transform. I mean, if you think about it there's not much logic behind Cell needing to absorb 17 and 18 specifically to become complete, so I don't see why this couldn't be something added fairly late in the process of thinking up Cell.
GS7X7 wrote:What were Toriyama's stated reasons for ending DBZ anyway?
Basically just that he was tired of drawing the series for so long and didn't like the frantic pace of weekly serialization. Here's his goodbye from the final chapter. I meant to include this in the initial post at the end, but kinda forgot about it:
I truly thank you for faithfully reading while I struggled with Dragon Ball. I’m very grateful for how you all supported me up until the very end. The truth is that I decided on this a long time ago but a lot happened, so please forgive me for announcing this so suddenly.

For this new step in my life, I’ve told everyone concerned that it’s no use, that I’m ending this manga. Of course, all you fans will be upset. I apologize. From now on, I think I will take a little break, and then leisurely draw one-shot works. You’ll definitely see me again. I think it (should) certainly be interesting, so look forward to it! Well, until that day, this is goodbye. Let’s meet again. ~Akira Toriyama
So Toriyama had decided on the Boo arc being the end some time in advance, but didn’t make any official announcement of this until the very last chapter ran in Jump.
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Toriyama introduced the "natural causes" rule for the Grand Elder! It's not like he was writing himself out of a corner or anything, because he wrote himself into that corner in the same chapter! The "natural causes" rule was never mentioned before or after that point!
Also, the dragonballs were said several times (including the first chapter) to be capable of granting “any wish”, so in my view the introduction of any restriction on their power is the real story-motivated asspull, rather than the ways of getting around these restrictions.
Dayspring wrote:The French version pretty much stated the exact same thing as your translation. :P
Whoops :P . Well, I guess I better fix that...eventually. I tried to find a translation or scan of the French version, but couldn't track anything down.
Fox666 wrote:Both Saiyan and Freeza arc were about villains looking for the dragon balls, isn't it strange that the dragon balls are not a important factor in the Cell and Buu sagas?
Not especially. I mean, none of the Tenkaichi Budoukai arcs involved the dragonballs at all, so it's not exactly the first time they haven't been at the center of the story. And even in the Cell and Boo arcs, the dragonballs are still essential to the story (they're overused, if anything).
Godo wrote:Read my above post, it's not out of tone. The story was dark at that time, and with the previous SSJ going under with the planet, Goku doing it also wouldn't be out of place at all.
The thing about DragonBall is that it gets dark at times but always has a happy ending. People may die, but they always come back to life or at least get sent off to a light-hearted afterlife (or, like Tsuno and co., they just kinda get forgotten about). Even when Goku does die in the Cell Games, it's still portrayed in as cheery a light as possible, with Goku assuring everyone not to worry about him too much. So yeah, having a dark or "badass' ending would be a big departure from anything Toriyama has ever actually written, either before or after that point in DB's run.

That said, I don't want to get too involved in the debate over whether that'd be a good ending or not, because it's irrelevant to the point of this thread. Just because something would have (debatably) improved the story doesn't mean it's something Toriyama ever planned on happening. Most of these rumors get started because people conflate what they wish would have happened with what Toriyama must have wanted to happen.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:08 pm

@Herms
About GT and "non canon" products..
Wasn't Toriyama also positive about Dragonball Evolution?

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Herms wrote: The thing about DragonBall is that it gets dark at times but always has a happy ending. People may die, but they always come back to life or at least get sent off to a light-hearted afterlife (or, like Tsuno and co., they just kinda get forgotten about). Even when Goku does die in the Cell Games, it's still portrayed in as cheery a light as possible, with Goku assuring everyone not to worry about him too much. So yeah, having a dark or "badass' ending would be a big departure from anything Toriyama has ever actually written, either before or after that point in DB's run.

That said, I don't want to get too involved in the debate over whether that'd be a good ending or not, because it's irrelevant to the point of this thread. Just because something would have (debatably) improved the story doesn't mean it's something Toriyama ever planned on happening. Most of these rumors get started because people conflate what they wish would have happened with what Toriyama must have wanted to happen.
As I said, Goku could have been wished back again. Hell, he could have even said to the others that he preferred to train in the afterlife. I am merely speaking about the ending.
For all we knew, Goku died at Namek, but we later find out that he is alive. I always found that as a let down.
They could have revived him with the Namek DBs after all.
If Goku dies at Namek, it doesn't have to be that dark, just as when he died against Cell. But no one is complaining about that ending, even though it would be exactly the same.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Oh yeah, forgot to ask: I mentioned an episode of the Daizex podcast where an e-mailer asked if the higher-ups at Jump threatened to kill Toriyama if he didn't continue the series. Anyone have the vaguest notion what number episode this was? I think it was relatively early on, and that Julian read the e-mail. I kinda want proof that a rumor that stupid is really out there.
dbgtFO wrote:@Herms
About GT and "non canon" products..
Wasn't Toriyama also positive about Dragonball Evolution?
Here’s his comment (via Anime News Network:
As the original creator, I had a feeling of "Huh?" upon seeing the screenplay and the character designs, but the director, all the actors, the staff, and the rest are nothing but "ultra" high-caliber people. Maybe the right way for me and all the fans to appreciate it is as a New Dragonball of a different dimension. Perhaps, this might become a great masterpiece of power! Hey, I look forward to it!!
I always saw the Saiyan arc as where the displays of power pretty much topped out. Vegeta's the last villain who actually seemed stronger than those before, what with him shaking the whole Earth with his ki and threatening to destroy the Earth with his attack. Freeza's supposed to be a gazillion times stronger than Vegeta was back then, but he never really does anything that Vegeta shouldn't also have been capable of. I guess the idea is that he can destroy planets effortlessly, as opposed to Vegeta who needed to put a lot of effort into it, but it's really only in the Barduck special that we see him destroy a planet easily. In the manga he still needs to perform a fancy attack to destroy Namek, and even that doesn't destroy it right away.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:17 pm

Herms wrote:I always saw the Saiyan arc as where the displays of power pretty much topped out. Vegeta's the last villain who actually seemed stronger than those before, what with him shaking the whole Earth with his ki and threatening to destroy the Earth with his attack. Freeza's supposed to be a gazillion times stronger than Vegeta was back then, but he never really does anything that Vegeta shouldn't also have been capable of. I guess the idea is that he can destroy planets effortlessly, as opposed to Vegeta who needed to put a lot of effort into it, but it's really only in the Barduck special that we see him destroy a planet easily. In the manga he still needs to perform a fancy attack to destroy Namek, and even that doesn't destroy it right away.
Oh, I don't know about that. I think Freeza displays a pretty clear progression of power, at least in his final form. Maybe not the Ginyu Squad, or Zarbon and Dodoria, or even the first few forms of Freeza, but certainly the last one. I think what did it for me was his effortlessly bisecting the entire planet.

The anime also goes out of its way to add things like Freeza blowing up mountains with this eyes, which certainly seems outside the realm of possibility for Saiyan arc Vegeta. In general, the use of kiai attacks in the Freeza vs Goku fight is something new to the series, as far as I'm aware. Vegeta destroys as a Saibaman with a gesture, sure. But it's not quite the same as Freeza and Goku knocking each other around and blowing holes in the ground with nothing but a fierce stare.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:09 pm

Godo wrote:
Makaioshin wrote:

Yeah, because it was so happy-go-lucky when Kuririn exploded, Nail was beaten to pulp, Vegeta died from severe injuries, Gohan was stomped on, Piccolo was impaled in his chest and almost died, and several Namekians were slaughtered, as well as immobile Ginyu force members being killed in their coma, Jeice being blown to bits, Kiwi and Dodoria joining him in that spectacular way of dying, Guldo having his head chopped off, several members of Freeza's forces having their skulls smashed in, Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chao-zu being dead (after helplessly fighting the Saiya-jins), Gohan being kicked in his guts by Vegeta, getting his hair ripped off by Freeza, Kuririn getting impaled on Freeza's horn, Gohan breaking his neck by a kick from Recoome, Kuririn breaking all his bones in his body by a kick from Recoome, and Goku getting the everlasting shit kicked out of him by Freeza, and Vegeta crying and pleading for Goku to avenge him and his people.
None of which changes the fact that Goku is a happy-go-lucky character.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:02 am

Makaioshin wrote: None of which changes the fact that Goku is a happy-go-lucky character.
You are completely right. It was really happy-go-lucky of Goku to scream that he didn't want to die before Namek exploded! And he smiled all the way as a SSJ when he fought Freeza! :D
I mean, did we ever see Goku change his personality at all in the Freeza Arc? It's not like he changed at all as a SSJ, a state he was using for 99.9% of the second part of his fight with Freeza! :D
No, he was HAWPPEW-GO-LECKEWL, 'cause that's how I'm used to him to be and change scares me!

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Eh...I screwed something up while editing the original post, and ended up re-posting part of the original as a new post. Or something. Long story. Anyway, hopefully it's fixed now.

But so anyway, it's now updated. Things that are new:

--Added Kirbopher's story and what Toriyama actually said
--Added the episode number for the podcast with the e-mail about Toriyama's editor threatening to kill him
--Expanded on the part talking about how Jeff on the MRoA thought Goku's escape on Namek was "legit"
--Added part talking about how the anime plays up Goku's seemingly certain death on Namek
--Added about how the end of Kai not reflecting Toriyama's original plan for the end
--Added section on Toriyama's goodbye message from the last chapter
--Various other small edits