Donnie Yen in IMAX 3D "Monkey King" movie?!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Re: Donnie Yen in IMAX 3D "Monkey King" movie?!

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:I've watched the live-action TV series adaptation of it (Indonesian dub), even back when I was 5 years old.

The poster for the live-action TV series
This is the 2000 (or probably even earlier) version of it. There's actually another live-action adaption of it but, it's created around 2008, so higher technology.
For me, I watched this one. To date, it's still my favorite adaptation.

I also watched some of the Japanese live action series A.K.A Monkey episodes.

But what I really want to watch is this 52 episodes-Chinese cartoon. It looks really good.

My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:05 pm

^This was my favourite adaptation of the story. Watched it back in 96' when I was a kid. It was an incredible experience. I was hoping that they would cast the lead actor from this cover (Dicky Cheung) for the live action film that we will be seeing in the near future, but I suppose Donnie Yen is a decent choice seeing as he's become one of the most marketable assets to the HK film industry as of late.

A little look at some of the talent involved for those unfamiliar..

Donnie Yen/Son Wukong Veteran martial arts action actor/choreographer/director/writer/producer.
^promotional concept art of Yen as Son Wukong, as well as a glimpse of Yen in monkey makeup.

Scenes:
Ip Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzC96R27eYU
^Ip Man (Donnie Yen) battles ten men in the name of honor and pride.
SPL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZs48lJXhxM
^Inspector Ma (Donnie Yen) contronts the assassin (Wu Jing) one on one.

*Also, remember how kickass Blade 2 was? You have the Yen-maestro to thank for that.

Chow Yun Fat/Jade Emperor veteran actor/singer
Image Image
^Chow Yun Fat as the Jade Emperor from The Monkey King

Scenes:
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQw5s2oi ... re=related
Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun Fat) pursuits Jen (Zhang Ziyi) in an attempt to understand and teach his potential disciple.

Aaron Kwok/Demon King/Demon Cow veteran actor/singer/popstar

Image Image

^Concept art for the Demon Cow. Aaron Kwok as 'Striding Cloud' from The Storm Riders 1+2

Scenes:
The Storm Warriors (The Storm Riders 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDjTiaZQI2A
Cloud (Aaron Kwok) has no other choice but to kill his greatest ally, Wind (Ekin Cheng) as all hope to purge the evil within him has faltered.
The Storm Riders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUN9dcesOMA
Cloud (Aaron Kwok) and Wind (Ekin Cheng) put aside their differences, and allies to defeat their master in the name of vengeance.

Cecilia Cheung/Goddess Nuwa Actress/Singer
Image Image

*I'm actually confused as to whether Cecilia Cheung will be playing Nuwa (as depicted above ) or if she will be playing another character. The concept art of Goddess Nuwa clearly looks different to Cecilia, and instead emulates Kelly Chen, another actress that is on board with the production. Time will tell.

Scenes:
Legend of Zu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urGXOGGD ... re=related
Dawn/Enigma (Cecilia Cheung) must fuse with Hollow/Ying (Wu Jing) in order to defeat the blood demon that is intent on engulfing the world into disarray.

Joe Qiao En Chen/Princess Iron Fan Actress/Singer
Image Image

A fairly new up and coming actress from Taiwan playing the prominent Princess Iron Fan.
Last edited by Snail on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Okay, what the hell? I posted on here last night, and it didn't show up, so I assumed my computer messed up. I went back and tried to post again, but when I hit Submit it gave me the "somebody has posted here since you started typing you message" (paraphrasing of course) and it was my first post in the thread, so I assumed it was just taking a while to process or something. I went back to the General Discussion page and it said the most recent reply was from me, so I clicked it and it was still Hellspawn28's post. I just now logged in and checked the thread and low an behold, three new posts and none of them are mine.

The strangest thing though is that my post still shows up in the Topic Review page I'm currently on.

In case something crazy happens like the original post showing up with this one as soon as I submit it, I took some screen-caps. They got a little scrunched though...

ImageImage
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 pm

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but is the movie going to be in English or Mandarin Chinese?

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote:Okay, what the hell? I posted on here last night, and it didn't show up, so I assumed my computer messed up. I went back and tried to post again, but when I hit Submit it gave me the "somebody has posted here since you started typing you message" (paraphrasing of course) and it was my first post in the thread, so I assumed it was just taking a while to process or something. I went back to the General Discussion page and it said the most recent reply was from me, so I clicked it and it was still Hellspawn28's post. I just now logged in and checked the thread and low an behold, three new posts and none of them are mine.

The strangest thing though is that my post still shows up in the Topic Review page I'm currently on.

In case something crazy happens like the original post showing up with this one as soon as I submit it, I took some screen-caps. They got a little scrunched though...

ImageImage
The same thing happens to me, too, but in a different topic.
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I hope this isn't a stupid question, but is the movie going to be in English or Mandarin Chinese?
According to IMDB, it's in Mandarin.

Snail

Post by Snail » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:40 pm

As per usual;

The film will be released in mandarin chinese, and cantonese. And yes, there will be an english subtitled version.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Snail wrote:As per usual;

The film will be released in mandarin chinese, and cantonese. And yes, there will be an english subtitled version.
Sorry I'm a bit confused, but are you saying that they're going to dub the movie in Cantonese?

Snail

Post by Snail » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Yes; it's the norm.

For an example, you'd have a production with a cast that speaks varying languages. Let's say that the production is to be released as a "Mandarin Only"; all subsequent cast members that do not speak mandarin will be dubbed over in audio post-production. Meanwhile, those that can speak mandarin will retain their original voices.

Then again, there are exceptions with some productions in where there is only one version released. Time will tell.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Just finishes up Enslaved. Truism is good news at a good time for me.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:58 pm

Snail wrote:Image
Heh...I remember when Dicky Cheung went on stage at TVB for a quick stage production of Dragon Ball Z as Kakarrot/Son Goku riding the Flying Nimbus with Gohan. He woulda been perfect for the role. I also remember a Dragon Ball reference in the second season of that series (for some reason, he was replaced by actor Benny Chan). It was an episode where Sun Wukong and the guys get pregnant in the woman country and they started naming their kids. I remember the pig suggested "Sun Wufan" (Son Gohan). lol
The world is your's.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:01 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Snail wrote:As per usual;

Sorry I'm a bit confused, but are you saying that they're going to dub the movie in Cantonese?

Just a quick note, Hong Kong films normally play in Australian theatres so you lucky bastards might even get to see this on the IMAX 3D without the need of flying over to Asia. And they're usually (nix that, ALWAYS) released on the same day as the Hong Kong theatrical release date.
The world is your's.

Snail

Post by Snail » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:08 am

Benny Chan as Son Wukong only worked when he wasn't trying to impersonate the stellar performance Dicky presented. Shame, but atleast Dicky was invited to be cast as Son Wukong once more in that 'Journey To The West' spinoff/remake. Albeit terrible, his presence made it worthwhile.

As for Dicky as Goku..

And yes...damn lucky australians! My relatives always tease me about that privilege of HK films playing on their theater screens.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:49 am

Snail wrote:Yes; it's the norm.

For an example, you'd have a production with a cast that speaks varying languages. Let's say that the production is to be released as a "Mandarin Only"; all subsequent cast members that do not speak mandarin will be dubbed over in audio post-production. Meanwhile, those that can speak mandarin will retain their original voices.

Then again, there are exceptions with some productions in where there is only one version released. Time will tell.
Thanks for the explanation.
tinlunlau wrote: Just a quick note, Hong Kong films normally play in Australian theatres so you lucky bastards might even get to see this on the IMAX 3D without the need of flying over to Asia. And they're usually (nix that, ALWAYS) released on the same day as the Hong Kong theatrical release date.
Thanks for the heads up. I know where the IMAX theatre is in the CBD, so I'll definately check it out once it gets released.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:45 am

According to IMDB, this movie will be released on 7 July, 2012.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Snail wrote:Benny Chan as Son Wukong only worked when he wasn't trying to impersonate the stellar performance Dicky presented. Shame, but atleast Dicky was invited to be cast as Son Wukong once more in that 'Journey To The West' spinoff/remake. Albeit terrible, his presence made it worthwhile.

As for Dicky as Goku..

And yes...damn lucky australians! My relatives always tease me about that privilege of HK films playing on their theater screens.
Oh, and when I was talking about Dicky as Goku, I was talking about that Wong Jing movie from the pic you've provided. He was literally dressed up in the orange Kame gi. It was part of a TVB event many years ago. I forgot which one but I'm pretty sure it happened. (Note that TVB also had the broadcasting rights to Dragon Ball Z in Hong Kong so they were legally allowed to do such a thing on stage.)
The world is your's.