So, why aren't we talking about this bill?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

So, why aren't we talking about this bill?

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:00 pm

Hey, I'm pretty sure this is a big deal. Tokyo has passed a bill that bans depictions of violence and sexuality in Anime, Manga, and Video Games. Any publication in violation of the law will be moved to the 18+ section of bookstores, a killer in the same fashion that the AO rating is for video games here in the west.

Though the bill only effects Tokyo, that's were most major publishers and broadcasters are based. It's like making stocks illegal to buy and sell in New York City.

I'm afraid this could affect DragonBall in some way due to displays of violence, and Shueisha apparently agrees, seeing as the CEO of Shueisha and many others including Shogakukan announced that they're pulling all of their publications and animation based on said publications from the Tokyo International Anime Fair in protest.

This could have massive ramifications on not just DragonBall, but the entire Anime and Manga industry as a whole.

So... Why aren't we talking about it?

Feel free to correct any information I got wrong. I'm having a difficult time following this story between exams.

Scarz
I Live Here

Re: So, why aren't we talking about this bill?

Post by Scarz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Forget Dragon Ball, what's going to happen to my One Piece!? Or other current Shounen manga for that matter?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Because I'm too busy basking in the schadenfreude.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:52 pm

I have no idea how the Japanese legal system works. But I'd venture a guess that if something like that were passed in the U.S.A. it would be overturned on both First Amendment and vagueness grounds at minimum. If Japan's legal system is relatively similar we might see the same kind of court battle.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Scarz wrote:Forget Dragon Ball, what's going to happen to my One Piece!? Or other current Shounen manga for that matter?
Good riddance. I wanna see Dragon Ball rated M, that'd be hilarious.
Last edited by Perfect on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:55 pm

For what I can tell, this means that the various products will get a higher age rating.
Any publication in violation of the law will be moved to the 18+ section of bookstores
So what? What`s the big deal?

Would it matter to anyone if Dragon Ball got a age rating of Teen or Older Teens or even a Mature rating instead of appropriate for all ages?

Videogames like Grand Theft Auto have an appropriate Age Rating of Mature, and that doesn`t stop anyone from playing them, including teenagers and kids. And, at least, the appropriate warning is there for those parents and folk who care about that kind of things.

Not to mention that this law is probably intended to target those kind of freakish and weird things that we all know that Japan has and that is, frankly, quite excessive.

So... What`s the big deal again?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:15 pm

Perfect wrote:
Scarz wrote:Forget Dragon Ball, what's going to happen to my One Piece!? Or other current Shounen manga for that matter?
It already is rated M, if the Dragon Ball you pick up happens to be by a person named "Pandora's Box" and not Akira Toriyama.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:17 pm

I don't see anything mentioned in the original article about violence...
The new bill, Bill 156, essentially stipulates all sexual acts that would be illegal in real life OR sexual depictions between close relatives who could not legally get married to be treated as adult material if they are presented in “unjustifiably glorified or exaggerated manner.” [...] The most immediate and direct effect of the law will almost certainly be to see ecchi manga such as To Love-Ru, bishoujo titles such as Champion Red and most BL manga, as well as any seinen manga with especially mature themes, banned from general sales – presumably most will then be cancelled due to a lack of suitable magazine or tankobon distribution channels, with a few perhaps being resurrected as 18+ ero-manga.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:22 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:I don't see anything mentioned in the original article about violence...
The new bill, Bill 156, essentially stipulates all sexual acts that would be illegal in real life OR sexual depictions between close relatives who could not legally get married to be treated as adult material if they are presented in “unjustifiably glorified or exaggerated manner.” [...] The most immediate and direct effect of the law will almost certainly be to see ecchi manga such as To Love-Ru, bishoujo titles such as Champion Red and most BL manga, as well as any seinen manga with especially mature themes, banned from general sales – presumably most will then be cancelled due to a lack of suitable magazine or tankobon distribution channels, with a few perhaps being resurrected as 18+ ero-manga.
Ah yes, I forgot to mentioned this as well. This was my reasoning on saying that they want to target those freakish things that we know Japan has.

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:27 pm

Well, hopefully that's the case. Even if its unlikely much will change here, I'd still rather this wouldn't happen.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:34 pm

There's been similar scares about "MANGA WILL BE BANNED OH NO" movements like this before, and nothing's ever truly changed because of them. At the very most, I suspect some series might get a higher age-rating slapped on them.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:15 pm

Yeah, I hope this bill doesn't pass. I don't think I'd ever be in favor of a bill that strengthens censorship, which is a terrible thing and I've always thought Japan's lax censorship values (Far as I can tell, anyway) to be one of the country's good points.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:21 pm

rereboy wrote:
MisterFlashdude wrote:I don't see anything mentioned in the original article about violence...
Ah yes, I forgot to mentioned this as well. This was my reasoning on saying that they want to target those freakish things that we know Japan has.
I've heard it as extreme violence, sexual acts/lewdness, and any illegal acts. I'm not sure which is which 'cause I can't read the bill first hand, and know nothing about the Japanese legal system regardless.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
Perfect wrote:
It already is rated M, if the Dragon Ball you pick up happens to be by a person named "Pandora's Box" and not Akira Toriyama.
Or if you live in Australia.

On topic: I'll wait to see how this pans out. I've never been able to understand Japanese politics, ever since the whaling debacle.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:42 pm

This provides me with quite a bit of karmic humor. Japan is notorious worldwide for the its tendency to output extremely weird shit. Now, it gets hit with a ridiculously exploitable censorship law. Justice? No, I suppose not, but I can't help but think of it as somewhat appropriate.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Seeing that DB is a All rating series then I doubt Dragon Ball will be effect by this. Other animes and mangs like Evangelion, Shin Mazinkaizer Z, Yotsuba, Berserk, and several others might be effected by this bill. This is no different with video games, and comics. If you read several other news stories, there will be age limit to buy anime or manga but people still have the rights to make how sexy or violent the series as the creator wants.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Seeing that DB is a All rating series then I doubt Dragon Ball will be effect by this. Other animes and mangs like Evangelion, Shin Mazinkaizer Z, Yotsuba, Berserk, and several others might be effected by this bill. This is no different with video games, and comics. If you read several other news stories, there will be age limit to buy anime or manga but people still have the rights to make how sexy or violent the series as the creator wants.
Stuff like Berserk is already published in an adult magazine, so there'd be no difference.

Anyway, I keep seeing everybody freaking out about this bill, but I really think it's being blown out of proportion...
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:24 am

Other mangas like Guyver, JJBA, and Bastard!! might be effected. I was reading on the Eva geeks forums that the bill is currently being voted on so we should know the results tomorrow. Its not the Dragon Ball series is going to be effected by this bill or anything.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:36 am

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:Any publication in violation of the law will be moved to the 18+ section of bookstores
So... that's it? It's not like they're banning it. So, it gets categorized differently. Sure DragonBall doesn't really belong in the 18+ section, but if that's the section you have to go in to find it... who cares?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:10 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Sure DragonBall doesn't really belong in the 18+ section, but if that's the section you have to go in to find it... who cares?
Who cares? Fans of Dragon Ball that are under 18, that's who cares.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.