Dragon Box Sound Quality: My Conclusion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Box Sound Quality: My Conclusion

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:39 am

I've only seen the "Big Box" once in my life on an auction site, and I didn't get it. Stupid Mike :(.

I did have a buddy from an online chat room forever ago (Hell, it might even be someone still around... I can't remember who it was!) that sent me the audio from the disc, but they're just in really old 128 kbps WMA files, so they're not truly representative of what the "quality" truly is... but even then, you can tell that SOMETHING higher quality had been originally produced.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:50 am

VegettoEX wrote:I've only seen the "Big Box" once in my life on an auction site, and I didn't get it. Stupid Mike :(.

I did have a buddy from an online chat room forever ago (Hell, it might even be someone still around... I can't remember who it was!) that sent me the audio from the disc, but they're just in really old 128 kbps WMA files, so they're not truly representative of what the "quality" truly is... but even then, you can tell that SOMETHING higher quality had been originally produced.
Yes, the CD I mentioned is contained in Big Box. Big Box also has a cassette tape which includes the karaoke version of Dragon Power ∞. I think you can get it only on that tape.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:59 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:It's a shame they didn't include this as a feature on the Dbox, or the "Dragon Ball Z (Epílogo/Prólogo Cell Saga) " or whatever.
It's found here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnimeMaakuo ... zrw1-5Y3Zc

& it's where Son Goku visits Gohan somewhere in the middle of the Saiyaman saga, and he tells Goten and Gohan about his battle with Cell and what not.
I still haven't got that one. In addition, there is one more unreleased special.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:03 am

kei17 wrote:Yes, the CD I mentioned is contained in Big Box. Big Box also has a cassette tape which includes the karaoke version of Dragon Power ∞. I think you can get it only on that tape.
Oh, damn... I want the Big Box now... O_o
Now my Complete Song Collection Box is going to feel incomplete again till I can get that song... That one, single song... >_<
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:42 am

Now I want those two HQ-audio CD episodes :(
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:46 am

VegettoEX wrote:I've only seen the "Big Box" once in my life on an auction site, and I didn't get it. Stupid Mike :(.

Is there an alternate cover art for the "Big Box"? Is it this one?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:50 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:Is there an alternate cover art for the "Big Box"? Is it this one?
*snip*
That's it. The picture on Music Database is the box itself. That's the CD inside it. I will take some photos of Big Box later.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:53 am

kei17 wrote:The picture on Music Database is the box itself. That's the CD inside it. I will take some photos of Big Box later.
Yeah, the only picture I had been able to dig up was the one in daizenshuu 7, which is why it's a little faded and squished -- I had to fix the perspective since it's on an angle in the book. A better one of the actual front cover would be appreciated!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Some HQ photos of it.
The front side of the box
The back side of the box
The inside of the box and those two books are the scripts for episodes 229 and 237 of the "Z" TV series
The inside of one the scripts
And a paper diorama set for the "Tenka-ichi Budokai" stage with people....

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:40 pm

Dude, please. Rip that if you have it. In FLAC or some other lossless codec, preferably!
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Puto wrote:Dude, please. Rip that if you have it. In FLAC or some other lossless codec, preferably!
But, that's against the rules! :roll:

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Let's see what VegettoEX says. I mean, this CD's extremely rare, so maybe it would be alright...? It's not like it's "full epz" or anything; just the audio (in AMAZING quality).

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:26 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Let's see what VegettoEX says. I mean, this CD's extremely rare, so maybe it would be alright...? It's not like it's "full epz" or anything; just the audio (in AMAZING quality).
It's rare, but not extremely, I think. Actually, I saw Big Box on Yahoo! Auctions several times, and actually the cassette tape in it is listed right now.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:50 pm

I would indeed prefer that folks did not just wholesale distribute the entire contents of things like this, especially something that did indeed get a legit, physical release at some point in time.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Hah, they mis-wrote Majin Boo as 魔ブウ instead of 魔ブウ in that episode 229 script.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:11 pm

kei17 wrote:It's rare, but not extremely, I think. Actually, I saw Big Box on Yahoo! Auctions several times, and actually the cassette tape in it is listed right now.
Woah! Thanks! I'm so getting this! But wait... Is it possible/affordable to rip cassette tapes?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:29 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:It's a shame they didn't include this as a feature on the Dbox, or the "Dragon Ball Z (Epílogo/Prólogo Cell Saga) " or whatever.
It's found here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnimeMaakuo ... zrw1-5Y3Zc

& it's where Son Goku visits Gohan somewhere in the middle of the Saiyaman saga, and he tells Goten and Gohan about his battle with Cell and what not.

What I'd forgotten about until I re-watched that video just now is that there's a set of creepy Mr. Popo eyes watching the Son family from inside the couch at the very end when they're waving goodbye.

Actually, it's even there in the scene beforehand watching Goku, Gohan, and Goten sitting around the kotatsu.

Suits still look weird on Goku, but I do think it's hilarious/clever that he can pretty much teleport right out of his clothes and into the bath. XD
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Herms wrote:Hah, they mis-wrote Majin Boo as 魔ブウ instead of 魔ブウ in that episode 229 script.
"Ma-shin Buu"?

Or does it take on the same pronunciation when it's compounded like that?

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:07 pm

Cipher wrote:"Ma-shin Buu"?

Or does it take on the same pronunciation when it's compounded like that?
While the term "majin" is typically written in the series with the kanji for "demon-man" (魔人), this term can also be written with the kanji for "demon-god" (魔神), with both being read the same way. In DragonBall, it is used for Lucifer and his followers from DragonBall Movie 2, "Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle"; the "devil" in the title is actually "majin" in the Japanese title. They live in the titular Majin Castle and hate sunlight, which is why they attempt to destroy the sun.

This isn't the first time it's happened to Majin Buu's name, as we've seen it written that way before, typically on accident.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:56 am

Now here are big scans.