Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:40 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Where's this Akira Toriyama DBGT interview from?

Post by Savage68 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:46 am

A fan's imagination, I'd say.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:46 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:56 am

Well, we know it has to be in 1996, it can't be later than when Dragon Ball GT first aired on TV, since the interviewer calls it "new", or that Toriyama is still working on the Daizenshuu. It cannot be earlier than 1995 since Toriyama states his weekly serial is finished.
So mondo lame.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:12 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Savage68 wrote:A fan's imagination, I'd say.
Nope. VegettoEX states so right here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... google.com

-I'm just wanting to verify its source. I can't find it on kanzentai. o.o
Ah, well. He says in that topic that it's the '"Shenlong Times" article/interview from daizenshuu seven,' doesn't he?

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:21 am

Savage68 wrote:A fan's imagination, I'd say.
I don't see why. This seems the usual way of Toriyama behavior (i.e. talking about his personal life and other random stuff).

Toriyama also says he is "an ordinary audience member". That's not the usual thing fans write when they try to praise GT series.

And he saying he recommend the series don't surprise me. Usually mangakas enjoys any animated adaptation.

Wobbuffet
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wobbuffet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:55 am

It looks like Toriyama and Katsura are really close.
Fox666 wrote:And he saying he recommend the series don't surprise me. Usually mangakas enjoys any animated adaptation.
I wouldn't expect him to be different. I mean, he wouldn't say "The new series is crap, don't watch it! I could get money from it, but I don't want you to watch it!"
Sorry, I can't speak English very well, but I'm trying my best.
This is My Anime List.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:45 am

That's from Shenlong Times #7. It's not exactly the best translation though. For instance, when Toriyama says the "Daizenshuu work is just writing a single paragraph", what he really says is that the work on the daizenshuu is coming to a close (they mistranslated ichidanraku). Toriyama had to give seven interviews (counting this one) and draw seven covers for the daizenshuu, plus various other odds and ends. And when he says of Toei 'Ah, so they had this kind of skill', originally it's him remarking on how there was there was this method of continuing the story.
Last edited by Herms on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:04 am

I'm curious what advice he gave to Toei lol

violadude
Beyond Newbie

Post by violadude » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:03 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I'm curious what advice he gave to Toei lol

Hmm try to stick a poop joke somewhere in there. :lol:

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:48 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Herms wrote:That's from Shenlong Times #7. It's not exactly the best translation though. For instance, when Toriyama says the "Daizenshuu work is just writing a single paragraph", what he really says is that the work on the daizenshuu is coming to a close (they mistranslated ichidanraku). Toriyama had to give seven interviews (counting this one) and draw seven covers for the daizenshuu, plus various other odds and ends. And when he says of Toei 'Ah, so they had this kind of skill', originally it's him remarking on how there was there was this method of continuing the story.

Could you post all seven interviews at kanzentai or at least make some kind of official translation? These interviews are nice to see, but most people aren't aware of them.
Kanzentai has already put Shenlong Times #1, #2 & #4 up on their site. They are found in the translations of the accompanying Daizenshuu.
http://www.kanzentai.com/trans.php

We'll just have to wait for the other interviews to be translated and posted.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:21 pm

I have a mostly complete translation of Shenlong Times #7. In fact, the only real reason it isn't online is because cleaning up one of the scans was really tedious and annoying, so I ended up putting it off. But I guess I can find it and post the text portions here later.
-Rachel

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:24 pm

(Oh no, double post. Anyway, this was done a few years ago, and I had to correct a few errors. Hopefully I didn't miss anymore of them.)

First, about Dragon Ball GT

Interviewer: I'm sorry to bother you when you're so busy today...

Toriyama: I'm not busy at all. I've finished my work on the Dragon Ball Daizenshuu for now, so I'm not working anymore (laugh).

Interviewer: Then you must be getting a nice rest.

Toriyama: Well, after I take my son to school each morning, I finally get to sleep. Right now, I'm building a new work area. So when I think about plans for it, I eventually end up pulling an all-nighter. I'm having more all-nighters than I had during weekly serialization (laugh).

Interviewer: The new anime series is Dragon Ball GT, but how involved in it are you?

Toriyama: I'm only a little involved. I checked the stories given by Toei Animation, and I gave a little advice. After that, I just drew a few characters and illustrations. But it's fun! It's a feeling of "Aah, so this was a possibility." Everyone at Toei Animation has really racked their brains. I really appreciate it. Wow, Gokuu turning little again. With that story, I could continue the manga serialization again... or so I say, but I actually don't have the will to draw it at all (laugh).

Interviewer: Then, Toriyama-sensei would recommend GT!

Toriyama: Yes! I would recommend it. As a normal viewer, I also enjoy it.

Here comes Macintosh!!

Toriyama: Oh, come to think of it, I'm getting a Macintosh (an Apple brand computer) from someone soon!

Katsura: Huh? What're you talking about?

(Here, surprisingly, Masakazu Katsura-sensei bursts in!!)

Because of Masakazu Katsura's intrusion, the interview goes in an unexpected direction...

Toriyama: We were talking about Macintoshes. Do you know about Macintoshes? You probably don't know about computers and such.

Katsura: What're you saying? You're no good with machines either. Can you tinker with audio yourself?

Toriyama: Audio? If you mean music, I can listen to it.

Katsura: Not that. I mean connecting wires and fiddling with it and such...

Toriyama: Oh, no. I can't do that.

Katsura: See. We're both no good with machines.

Interviewer: I-Is that so...

Toriyama: But soon when I get a Macintosh, it's going to be amazing. Katsura-kun, you're gonna get left behind. There seems to be a lot of interesting things you can do. If I say "Main character running pose!" into a mic, won't it draw that for me? That would be ideal, though.

Katsura: That's because you can't be bothered to lift a finger at all. You don't spread out screentone enough either.

Toriyama: You spread it too much (laugh). Oh, that's right. Katsura-kun, this time you're drawing in the Shenlong Times. Draw a crisp-toned Gokuu.

Katsura: Ah, that would be good.

Toriyama: Do that. Now, we were talking about my near future?

Interviewer: Y-Yes.

Toriyama: I have a lot of ideas, though. As I learn the Macintosh, I'll draw one-shots and such.

Interviewer: I thank you very much for today.

A-Anyway, good luck, Akira Toriyama!
-Rachel