Japanese popularity of Dragon Ball vs. One Piece

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Choice195
Banned

Re: Japanese popularity of Dragon Ball vs. One Piece

Post by Choice195 » Sun May 29, 2011 8:34 am

The Dragonball series has 508 episodes, But if you include Kai it would be 605 episodes. But over the years Teenagers especially have been interested in Anime more then most things that you would expect kids to be in love with like Shoes and Twilight. What I'm trying to say is, Since Anime is more popular now, There are more people watching it in 3 Subs-groups, (Kids, Teens, and Adults). Back then Anime wasn't so interesting as it is now, As I recall. But in my honest opinion I guess it would be a Tie, Both Dragonball and One Piece are amazing Animes, and I defiantly recommend them to anyone who hasn't watched them yet.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:18 pm

Since OP is still popular, and since DBGT had sinking ratings, and they have nearly equal episode/movie counts, I guess that's more evidence OP is bigger overall as a whole. Ah if only Toriyama had stayed on... who knows how long the series could have lasted?
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Dragon Ball only has more films because Toei began doing two films a year, each only fifty minutes. One Piece began doing ninety minute films (although nine and ten were about two hours long).
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:26 am

I may be biased because I have never read/watched One Piece, however, speaking of the peak of their popularity, I think Dragon Ball wins. At present, needless to say, OP kicks DB's ass.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:33 am

I guess the easiest question to settle the debate would be....

Which one's made more money in Japan?

Of course, it'd probably be insanely difficult to count all merchandise, video game, dvd and other sales for each of the 2 series.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"