Episode of Bardock: Giant On-Going Manga + Anime Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Episode of Bardock: Giant On-Going Manga + Anime Discuss

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:52 pm

So I saw it and only thing I liked about it was Nozawa's performance and Super Saiyan transformation..... and my reaction: Yeah, okay?!
2008 Special and Plan to blah blah blah were far superior. This story in the manga and even the anime adaptation makes me feel like it is only stretched promo for the arcade video game.
Don't like Ooshi's art, but that bigger henchman out of the two Bardock smashed as starter looked a lot better in the manga.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:02 pm

MCDaveG wrote:This story in the manga and even the anime adaptation makes me feel like it is only stretched promo for the arcade video game.
That's because it is.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Misread. :P

But yeah I actually quite liked it.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:24 pm

I don't think that it's fair to compare Bardock being a Super Saiyan to the kids becoming Super Saiyans. At that point in the series, genetic theories aside (becoming Super Saiyan changes your DNA and allows you to pass it on so your offspring are born with generally higher battle powers and can achieve the form more easily), the Super Saiyan kids were more of a joke than anything else. The fact it was once a myth coveted by the Saiyan elite, but soon became a means of making rough-housing for children more enjoyable, is quite humerus to me.

Bardock becoming a Super Saiyan in order to defeat an evil tyrant, however, is not a joke. It is a deus ex machina used so the main character can defeat a villain. This is in the same vein as Goku Jr. becoming a Super Saiyan to defeat the giant ax-wielding bear. It is being used as an integral plot point instead of a punch line. That's my problem with it, that's why I don't think it's a fair comparison, and that's why I don't buy it.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:43 pm

I agree with Cold Skin, that's a very good analysis of the special. As for the time travel conundrum, don't forget that time travelling is an unknown science and different means of travelling might yield different results. Maybe Bardock was predestined to travel through time and become the legend.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:05 pm

That was nice.

Now I wonder what the rest of the SSSS project is. How many projects are there anyway, four? I hope one is GT related

LOL@THELASTPART. "LolGTNandesuka?" - Toei.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:14 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:This story in the manga and even the anime adaptation makes me feel like it is only stretched promo for the arcade video game.
That's because it is.
See Super Saiyan Bardock on paper, then see him on screen, now go out and buy his trading card!

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 pm

I like this special oh so much. If you watch it back to back with the Bardock Special it becomes one of the most complete character arcs in the franchise.

Bardock finally has to come to terms with the fact that he's destroyed entire populations, and can finally sympathize with his victims now that he's been a victim himself. He's never had time to dwell on this. Even though he never really bonds with the locals on Planet Plant, it's clear that they care for him, and Berry even more than the rest. Bardock, having witnessed what it's like to lose all of your friends and family, is now given the chance to prevent it from happening to the people of Planet Plant. It's his determination to not lose his planet and all of its people a second time that drives him over the edge. It's his determination to not lose the planet and his remorse for having done the same to others so many times that turns him in to a Super Saiyan. What's notable about Bardock's transformation is that he's the only "purebred" Saiyan to ever achieve this level of strength. Goku was some space-hick who lacked a true understanding of the situation at hand (as far as the significance of the transformation and the complete lack of knowledge of Saiyan culture) and Vegeta was a pompous and arrogant asshole who had his success handed to him on a silver platter and was an entitled prick about absolutely everything. Bardock was a true Saiyan warrior who spent his entire life yearning for the thrill of battle. As such, he's in control of his transformation for the entire duration of his fight with chilled. His pupils don't fade and he really doesn't waste time trying to make sense of the strength, he uses it to lay down probably the most brutal and certainly the most efficient ass whooping in the entire franchise. He saves the day, and completes his character arc from genocidal space pirate to moral anti-hero.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:41 pm

I...just don't agree. I don't think Bardock feels ANY remorse for those who he has killed before. The bond he feels with Beri is comparable to the relationship between Tapion and Trunks, but it's not even that strong. If he's doing this for any reason other than getting revenge on someone who he sees as a mirror image of Freeza, it's just to repay a favor. After the fight, he just walks away, as if saying "we're even". It would seem like that, but we don't even know if that's the end of it! I see no significant signs of a dynamic character. All I see is a lazy plot with very little explanation.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:50 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Bardock went back and killed all the friendly aliens later on, just for laughs. He IS a Saiyan, after all.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:07 am

So is there supposed to be more of these animated movies coming? SSSS project?
Last edited by samuraix123 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:17 am

I Honestly don't really enjoy the new animation compared to the old except the fact that it looks cleaner. Does anyone know which studios worked on this?
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:04 am

Just got the chance to watch the whole thing. Just like the manga, I find that this special cheapens the original Bardock movie. Other than that I thought the animation was great. I still don't like the very clean and crisp look but that's just me.

Also did any else think that Bardock was a tad bit raciest because he couldn't tell Chilled and Freeza apart? "Everyone in Freeza's race looks the same to me!" :lol:
penguintruth wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Bardock went back and killed all the friendly aliens later on, just for laughs. He IS a Saiyan, after all.
This would've been a way better ending.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:54 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:
That's because it is.
See Super Saiyan Bardock on paper, then see him on screen, now go out and buy his trading card!
The worst part about this is you're completely right. This is how they've always viewed the Dragon Ball series in Japan. It's a marketing tool to sell products such as figures, games, cards, ect. That's why it took them 2 decades to release non-limited/special order print DVD's of the series. I guess the series just doesn't make money for them over there like it does for FUNimation over here. The thing that gets me is, if they want to make money and they don't think people will buy these newer animations (ie. Plan to., Jump Spec., Bardock) then why not sell the rights to dub them in other countries? I understand that they've worked out marketing copyrights for the animations with Bandai and Jump, but why not set an expiration date for those rights to like 3 years so they can make money off them that way too? Where is their business sense? The chances of us ever seeing a dub of this or the other 3 anime are slim to none.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:07 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:I Honestly don't really enjoy the new animation compared to the old except the fact that it looks cleaner. Does anyone know which studios worked on this?
Toei Animation is still animating Dragon Ball. Yamamuro Tadayoshi is designing the character models and supervising the animation. The work is done in-house both in Japan and at Toei Animation Philippines.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:17 am

Just watched this, and all I have to say is OH MY FUCKING GOD!! How did I got all this time without realizing there was new content in the Bardock manga? The whole time I thought it was just a manga adaptation of the TV special, and then I accidentally see this. Also, I'm not sure if it was me being to excited to listen to the dialogue carefully, but was there anything that should've screamed out "time travel" to me? And who exactly was Chilled?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:20 am

gotenx wrote:And who exactly was Chilled?
A member of Freeza's clan and the self-proclaimed mightiest space pirate~!!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:24 am

JulieYBM wrote:
I kinda got the space pirate part, but I wasn't sure if they were the same race or if he was one of Freeza's ancestors or something. I'm still not too clear on the time travel thing.

Also, did anyone else have trouble getting from "chirudo" to Chilled? I wouldn't have figured it out if it wasn't for this thread. I kinda walked into the special not knowing anything.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:27 am

gotenx wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
I kinda got the space pirate part, but I wasn't sure if they were the same race or if he was one of Freeza's ancestors or something. I'm still not too clear on the time travel thing.

Also, did anyone else have trouble getting from "chirudo" to Chilled? I wouldn't have figured it out if it wasn't for this thread. I kinda walked into the special not knowing anything.
Most of us have already read the manga version in some form, or at least have a detailed understanding of it.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:28 am

Pretty much share most of the same thoughts on this special than everyone else. It was okay and I do like seeing any kind of new 2D animation for the series, but really, the whole idea of Bardock being capable of going SSJ at his current power is just ridiculous... and I don't even care for power level discussion. Not to judge when you are and aren't supposed to be angry/distraught, but I feel like seeing his dead comrades would have served as more of a trigger for his transformation over the thought of him failing a second time at protecting people that care for him would. Also, on that note:

...still slightly annoyed that Bardock's blood looked like it spread from the bottom up just like it did in the first Bardock special.

Also, did anyone notice the weird color shifting in the background once Bardock transformed? I'm sure it's been used other times, but I always related this effect to Broly and Kid Boo and figured that it had something to do with them being so strong that it warped dimensions. Dunno if they've had this sort of effect in things like the video games, but seeing it here made me think it was some kind of side effect from the time traveling.

And kudos to Cold Skin for making me actually think for a shonen series. If they even hinted at half the stuff you brought up, I think I would have enjoyed this special a lot more. The way it stands now, though, I don't even want to think of it as a direct sequel to the original special since, like what other said, it pretty much cheapens what happened in the original altogether.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams