FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation to put DBZ on Blu-Ray

Post by thedarkuniter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:40 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:I really hope these have the Mexican Spanish audio track. If not, I don't have much reason to care for them. Then, they should fuck with everyone and put the Ocean dub on there when they hit those post-Freeza episodes. :o Totally likely, right? ...right?

At least an HD Rock the Dragon seems like it'd be an obvious extra. I doubt it'd be there though.

...Speaking of the Mexican dub, when were those Latin American DVDs coming out?
The Mexican dub would be a interesting extra. I've taken 2 years of Spanish myself and for the most part everything is extremely accurate in that dub. Not only that but it features great voice acting.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:00 pm

I wonder if it's possible not to add Johnson's score and add Faulconer's score from the start.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Gotham22 wrote:I wonder if it's possible not to add Johnson's score and add Faulconer's score from the start.
I hear there's a legal issue with that, if I'm not mistaken? I'm not that up-to-date with the current state of Faulconer's score.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Gotham22 wrote:I wonder if it's possible not to add Johnson's score and add Faulconer's score from the start.
Why would they even waste their time doing that? It's not like they ever did have Bruce Faulconer's guys add their stuff to those episodes "just in case." It's not there, and there's no point in wasting their time trying to mix it in.

@KaiserNeko: FUNi owns the rights to the music and Faulconer can't release it on his own without legal action, but FUNi has to pay him royalties for it if they ever air the dub on TV.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:10 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
I hear there's a legal issue with that, if I'm not mistaken? I'm not that up-to-date with the current state of Faulconer's score.
A legal issue to replace Johnson's score with Faucloner's?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:21 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
kei17 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Notice the absence of pink. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...
So you say "Look at the absence of pink! This exactly looks like the freaking Orange Brick footage, so this release will look as bad as the season sets!"? That's stupid because that overmuch amount of pink in the Dbox footage was caused by film degradation. To correct the colours properly, you have to tone down magenta. The absence of pink proves nothing. It doesn't mean this release will look bad.

Yes, but to some fans (including myself), the pink is what makes the film classy; especially for fans of the Dragon Box. ...
I'm a fan of the DragonBox but I don't like the pink skin. I never really noticed until someone pointed it out. It's one of those "you can't unsee it" type of mind fucks. But, I don't think it's so bad.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:56 pm

I've mentioned twice that I don't care about this release, but I'm curious. I wonder if the dub with the Japanese soundtrack will open with CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA and WE GOTTA POWER, like on the Dragon Boxes, or with the Mark Menza DBZ theme, like on the orange bricks.
Last edited by jpdbzrulz4sure on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Joey

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:20 pm

Not to jump into conclusions but if this does well then maybe FUNimation will be convinced to release DB and GT on Blu-ray.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:41 pm

Does anyone have the other Funimation blu-rays like some of the Z movies, D Grey man, or that Vampire Dance show they've been talking about? If so, think what were done on them might be the same for Z?

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:31 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:I really hope these have the Mexican Spanish audio track. If not, I don't have much reason to care for them. Then, they should fuck with everyone and put the Ocean dub on there when they hit those post-Freeza episodes. :o Totally likely, right? ...right?

At least an HD Rock the Dragon seems like it'd be an obvious extra. I doubt it'd be there though.

...Speaking of the Mexican dub, when were those Latin American DVDs coming out?
I'm collecting the Dragonboxes and dont care the slightest about this new release, but if it has latin spanish audio track I will be all over them.
One thing I always wished the Dragonbox had would be the addition of the spanish dub.. then it would be my perfect release ever.

That's why I was really pissed when FUNimation discontinued the Ultimate Uncut releases. Those actually had the latin spanish dub! If they had the rights to them, I wonder why FUNimation decide to omit them from the season sets..

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Does anyone have the other Funimation blu-rays like some of the Z movies, D Grey man, or that Vampire Dance show they've been talking about? If so, think what were done on them might be the same for Z?
I can't speak for those other shows, but I know the movies were an automated process, so I'd assume the TV series Blu-Rays would look better.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:51 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Does anyone have the other Funimation blu-rays like some of the Z movies, D Grey man, or that Vampire Dance show they've been talking about? If so, think what were done on them might be the same for Z?
From what I know, they did a new HD transfer of FLCL because the Japanese HD masters were supposedly done horribly. I bought the FLCL Blu-Ray, and I have to say that the transfer was quite good, if not better than expected. The quality was clear and crisp in my view.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:14 am

.:PoetikaL:. wrote:From what I know, they did a new HD transfer of FLCL because the Japanese HD masters were supposedly done horribly. I bought the FLCL Blu-Ray, and I have to say that the transfer was quite good, if not better than expected. The quality was clear and crisp in my view.
They did a different HD transfer for iTunes and stuff. As far as I'm aware they weren't allowed to use it for the BD and the BD uses the meh Japanese one.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:36 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Sigh Why does Funimation always give DBZ the cheesiest trailers. :roll: Will make judgements when a high quality version of the trailer comes out.
And the trailers for the Dragon Boxes weren't? Granted, they riffed off the original Japanese trailers for their Dragon Box releases, but yeah, those came off to me as cheesy (especially for the first one, with the memetastic lines and over-the-top Sabat-ness).
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:40 am

I recorded the part of Funi's panel where they started talking about DBZ Blu-ray. Sorry for the shakyness in the beginning. I was raising my hands in the sky too :mrgreen:
As did I, in HD no less, heh: http://youtu.be/WlHxtQbAePI

I apologize for the schlub that was marking out next to me ("Kakkarot!" etc.) but at least I called the move they did by the more common (to us) name for it. Enjoy.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:54 am

.:PoetikaL:. wrote:From what I know, they did a new HD transfer of FLCL because the Japanese HD masters were supposedly done horribly. I bought the FLCL Blu-Ray, and I have to say that the transfer was quite good, if not better than expected. The quality was clear and crisp in my view.
The FLCL Blu-Ray is based on the Japanese master, which is kinda terrible actually... but I also don't think they had a choice with what they were forced to use. If you only have a 720p TV that's mid-sized, though... it may look pretty good since that tends to hide the digital futzing.

Other than this instance where they had to use a specific master due to licensing and a few of the earliest titles (Like Champloo), they've done a really good job with their Blus even with all the various different source materials they've gotten. They've been quick to fix mistakes and even started marking their Blus when they're based on SD Material since fans wanted this info on there. From what I've heard, their release of Full Metal Panic is also superior to the Japanese version.

This is one of the reasons I had a more optimistic/wait and see attitude earlier in the thread, especially with them going the extra mile to fix Champloo on its re-release. (The inference from their few statements is that they redid it for the Japanese, but if that's not the case as Marc has argued then it just shows that they realized they messed up and are treating their shows better and better.)
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:29 am

Brakus wrote:
I recorded the part of Funi's panel where they started talking about DBZ Blu-ray. Sorry for the shakyness in the beginning. I was raising my hands in the sky too :mrgreen:

I apologize for the schlub that was marking out next to me ("Kakkarot!" etc.) but at least I called the move they did by the more common (to us) name for it. Enjoy.
Lol. You were so funny screaming "Genki-Dama!".

And thanks for the video! :)

www.KristaMichaels.com

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:48 am

Brakus wrote:

So how did it look watching it live on a big screen?

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:16 am

sangofe wrote:So how did it look watching it live on a big screen?
I don't know about Brakas, but I was too focused on my camera and trying to keep it steady so I could get it on film. I never actually looked up to see it with my own eyes. :P
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:24 am

It looked promising. It was also slightly desaturated from being projected, not to mention significantly enlarged, so it's extremely difficult to make any kind of accurate judgement about it at all.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::