VHS sets wanted!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nesguy

VHS sets wanted!

Post by nesguy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:39 am

I'm trying to get complete sets of the 3 shows on VHS (or as much as is available), in both edited and uncut format, in box sets wherever applicable. The second-hand marketplace for these has been extremely frustrating, so I'm turning to you, my fellow fans, for help!

I prefer to pick up stuff in nice condition (even new), especially the box sets, but I'm willing to look at pretty much anything. Also, when it comes to Z, I'd much prefer to buy box sets over individual tapes, as I can pick up the singles on their own really easy and cheap on Amazon/eBay. As far as what I'm looking to spend, I'm hoping to keep it nominally inexpensive; i.e., I don't want to pay full retail for stuff. I've been watching these all for a couple months now, so I know they aren't worth a whole lot nowadays, and given the number of tapes I still need and the semi-limited budget I'm working with, I'd prefer to pick up what I can in as big of a lot as possible for the most reasonable price. I'm not a totally cheap bastard, though, so please hit me up and let's at least discuss!

If I'm missing something, or you have some information that will help fill out my list, please please let me know!

Here's what I need right now:

Dragon Ball:

Were there any box sets/slipcases for these?

Tournament Saga (Edited) - Roshi's Request, Turtle Hermit Training, Fighters Begin, Semi-Finals, The Final Test
Red Ribbon Army (Uncut and Edited) - Silver, The Hunt is On, West City Chase, Assault on Muscle Tower, White's Last Stand
General Blue (Uncut and Edited) - Underwater Hunt, Lost in Penguin Village
Commander Red (Uncut and Edited) - Danger for Higher, Korin's Tower, The Battle is One
Fortune Teller Baba (Uncut and Edited) - Goku's Journey, Five Warriors, Yamcha's Fall, Surprise Reunion, The Seventh Dragon Ball
Tien Shinhan Saga (Uncut and Edited) - Tournament Day

Dragon Ball Z:

Ginyu Saga (Edited) - Assualt, Double Cross, box set (?)
Freeza Saga (Edited) - The Summoning, Transformation, Revealed, Clash, Desperation, Death of a Prince, Super Saiyan Goku, 11th Hour, Fall of a Tyrant, Namek's End box set (?)
Trunks Saga (Edited) - Prelude to Terror, Mysterious Youth, Z Warriors Prepare, History of Trunks, Box Set
Androids Saga (Edited) - Invasion, Dr. Gero, Assassins, Invincible, Box Set
Imperfect Cell Saga (Edited) - Encounter, Discovery, Race Against Time, 17's End, Box Set
Imperfect Cell Saga (Uncut) - Box Set - I have the 4 individual tapes already, but I'd gladly buy them again to gain the set box.
Perfect Cell Saga (Edited) - Hunt for 18, Perfection, Unstoppable, Temptation, Box Set
Perfect Cell Saga (Uncut) - Hunt for 18, Perfection, Unstoppable, Temptation, Box Set
Cell Games (Edited) - Guardian's Return, A Moment's Peace, The Games Begin, Surrender, Sacrifice, Ultimatum, Earth's Last Hope (?), Nightmare's End (?)
Great Saiyaman (Edited) - Opening Ceremony, Final Round, Gohan's Secret, Crash Course, Declaration, box set (?)
Great Saiyaman (Uncut) - box set (?) - I haven't been able to determine if there's a box for the VHS sets, although I've seen the DVD one for sure.
World Tournament (Edited) - The Draw, Junior Division, Blackout, Box Set
World Tournament (Uncut) - The Draw, Junior Division, Blackout, Box Set
Babidi (Edited) - Battle Royal, Descent, The Dark Prince Returns, Rivals, Box Set
Babidi (Uncut) - Battle Royal, Descent, The Dark Prince Returns, Rivals, Box Set
Majin Buu (Edited) - Hatching, Defiance, Tactics, Atonement, A Hero's Farewell, Emergence, Revival, Box Set
Majin Buu (Uncut) - Hatching, Defiance, Tactics, Atonement, A Hero's Farewell, Emergence, Revival, Box Set
Fusion (Edited) - Hope Returns, Last Saiyan, Losing Battle, Ambush, Evil Buu, Internal Struggle, Play for Time, Box Set
Fusion (Uncut) - Hope Returns, Last Saiyan, Losing Battle, Ambush, Evil Buu, Internal Struggle, Play for Time, Box Set
Kid Buu (Edited) - Regression, Saiyan Pride, The Price of Victory, Vegetta's Plea, A New Beginning, Box Set

Dragon Ball GT

Edited Tapes (?), Box Sets (?)

Movies

Need all movies for all 3 series in both edited/uncut, in box sets where available (how many?)

Here's what I have:

Dragon Ball

Saga of Goku (edited, Kidmark) - 7-tape box set w/ Curse of the Blood Rubies
Tournament Saga (Uncut) - have all 5 individual tapes

Dragon Ball Z

World's Strongest (subtitled and uncut, Pioneer) - mine came new in a clamshell case, so I'd still pick up this same version in a slipcase
Saiyan Saga (edited, Pioneer) - box set
Namek Saga (edited, Pioneer) - box set
Ginyu Saga (uncut) - box set
Freeza Saga (uncut) - box set, but the artbox seems to be slightly too big for all the tapes. Anyone else have this issue?
Trunks Saga (uncut) - box set w/ History of Trunks, although my artbox has seen better days so I'd be happy to upgrade it
Androids Saga (uncut) - box set, new (haven't opened it yet)
Imperfect Cell (uncut) - have all 4 individual tapes, but need the artbox. Definitely willing to rebuy the tapes if they include the box.
Perfect Cell (uncut) - have all 4 individual tapes, but need the artbox. Definitely willing to rebuy the tapes if they include the box.
Cell Games (uncut) - have all 7 individual tapes
Great Saiyaman (uncut) - have all 5 individual tapes, is there an artbox for this?
Kid Buu (uncut) - box set, new (haven't opened it yet)

Dragon Ball GT

I've just won an auction on eBay for all the individual, uncut tapes, including the Lost Episodes. Were there any edited tapes and/or artboxes?

Well, that's everything! Please help me out if you can, and thanks for reading! :D

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: VHS sets wanted!

Post by TheLegendary117 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:48 am

I have the entire DBZ and GT series, on VHS, several times over. PM me so we can talk business a bit. Let me know what your looking to spend. I wouldn't mind parting with some sagas, I need the money right now
Gamertag: TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Part Spartan, Part Saiyan

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:59 pm

nesguy wrote:Dragon Ball:

Were there any box sets/slipcases for these?
I don't believe there were.

Xane
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Xane » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Good luck finding any edited Dragon Ball vhs tapes. Those things are impossible to find almost. I've got em all, but they ain't for sale. Good luck though!
Once upon a time everything was lovely. But that was before I had to deal with people.

nesguy

Post by nesguy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Xane wrote:Good luck finding any edited Dragon Ball vhs tapes. Those things are impossible to find almost. I've got em all, but they ain't for sale. Good luck though!
Do you have the Tournament Saga edited? I've seen them all for sale on Amazon except the Tournament Saga. Could you post a pic of them, if you do, please?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:34 pm

I have an old ass copy of Red Ribbon Army - Assault on Muscle Tower edited. I'll sell it to you for like 5 or 6 shipped.

EDIT: Here's a full list of tapes I have, all for sale if you're interested.

Frieza Desperation Uncut
Frieza Transformation Uncut
Mystical Adventure (Uncut?)
Frieza The Summoning Uncut
Androids Dr Gero Uncut
Captain Ginyu Assault
Captain Ginyu Double Cross Uncut
Androids Invasion
World Tournament Junior Division Uncut
Majin Buu A Hero's Farewell
Perfect Cell Perfection (I love the name of this one. :P)
Perfect Cell Hunt For 18
Snake Way
Immortals
Destruction
Departure
Namek
Betrayal
Quest
Trouble!
Imperfect Cell 17's End
Garlic Jr. Black Water Mist

DOUBLE EDIT: Cooler's Revenge Uncut

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegendary117 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:26 pm

nesguy wrote:
Xane wrote:Good luck finding any edited Dragon Ball vhs tapes. Those things are impossible to find almost. I've got em all, but they ain't for sale. Good luck though!
Do you have the Tournament Saga edited? I've seen them all for sale on Amazon except the Tournament Saga. Could you post a pic of them, if you do, please?
Kinda tough to see but the Edited Version of the World Tournament has Goku, Great Saiyaman, Goten, and Trunks pictured together. The Uncut Version has the Supreme Kai and Kabito picture. You can seem them on the top shelf here.
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:29 pm

I think he meant the original Dragon Ball Tournament Saga. (21st TB)

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegendary117 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I think he meant the original Dragon Ball Tournament Saga. (21st TB)
Oh, my bad. :oops:
Facebook.com/The70MGame

nesguy

Post by nesguy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I think he meant the original Dragon Ball Tournament Saga. (21st TB)
Yes, this is what I mean. I've been looking for them for the last month, but haven't come across any yet.

Thanks for the sale list, but I want to first see if I can pick up sets/bundles before I start diving into individual tapes. Also, I'm trying to avoid tapes in "old ass" condition for now :wink: .

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:19 pm

nesguy wrote:
Yes, this is what I mean. I've been looking for them for the last month, but haven't come across any yet.

Thanks for the sale list, but I want to first see if I can pick up sets/bundles before I start diving into individual tapes. Also, I'm trying to avoid tapes in "old ass" condition for now :wink: .
It's in perfect shape, it's just old. :wink:
Anyway, I understand if you don't want them, although keep in mind some sagas (like Captain Ginyu for example, since it was only two tapes) don't have a boxset.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:50 pm

I believe cards.of.doom on eBay is still selling a bunch of VHS box sets, you can find his stuff here: http://myworld.ebay.com/cards.of.doom/? ... 4340.l2559

Oh and TheLegendary117, I sent you a PM! :D
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:37 pm

I have all of DBZ uncut on VHS (at least what was available uncut) mostly in boxed set form. I've been trying super hard to sell these. If you are interested let me know...
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegendary117 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:27 am

you should post pictures of what you have then, VHS wise. I'm a HUGE DBZ VHS fan and I haven't seen to many people with a DBZ VHS collection
Facebook.com/The70MGame

nesguy

Post by nesguy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I'm just about done with my Uncut DBZ set. I've got everything in the regular series now but a Babidi Uncut box set, and hoping to close a deal for that soon. I'm still looking for sets for the movies, and I'm still interested all the box sets I have listed for Edited tapes.

So, has anyone got a picture of Edited Tournament Saga tapes? I'm starting to think there aren't any, even though they have them for every saga that follows.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:36 pm

nesguy wrote:So, has anyone got a picture of Edited Tournament Saga tapes? I'm starting to think there aren't any, even though they have them for every saga that follows.
They never existed, as far as I know. Those tapes were originally only available uncut, as part of FUNimation's campaign to market the show to purists. But starting with the Red Ribbon tapes, they began doing both edited and uncut releases like they did for DBZ. Which is also the point in the show they started handling the scripts more like DBZ's, so I assume they completely changed their strategy for DB around then.

I never heard about them going back and releasing edited "Tournament Saga" tapes later. They never even finished the show on VHS, so there wouldn't have been much time to do it.
-Rachel

nesguy

Post by nesguy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Thanks! That is by far the best explanation that anyone's ever given. I won't worry about tracking those down, then.

Also, I can knock a number of ones off my list. I currently have coming:

Garlic, Jr. box set uncut
A better condition Trunks box uncut
Imperfect Cell box uncut
Perfect Cell box uncut
World Tournament box set uncut
Majin Buu box set uncut
Fusion Box Set uncut
Movies box set (Cooler) uncut

I still need an uncut Babidi box set, plus a whole mess of edited tapes.

Also, Pokewhiz7, I do have a Captain Ginyu box set. It's a chipboard box like Freeza and Trunks. Mine says "Uncut Version" on the UPC, although I don't know if there was an Edited version of the box.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:46 pm

nesguy wrote:Also, Pokewhiz7, I do have a Captain Ginyu box set. It's a chipboard box like Freeza and Trunks. Mine says "Uncut Version" on the UPC, although I don't know if there was an Edited version of the box.
Please show me a picture, I have never heard of it.

TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegendary117 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
nesguy wrote:Also, Pokewhiz7, I do have a Captain Ginyu box set. It's a chipboard box like Freeza and Trunks. Mine says "Uncut Version" on the UPC, although I don't know if there was an Edited version of the box.
Please show me a picture, I have never heard of it.
u haven't heard of those before? WAY back when VHS was still a big deal, the Z-Store sold the empty box sets so fans could buy the VHS tapes and be able to put them in a box set. They did that for Captain Ginyu, Frieza, Trunks, and I THINK Garlic Jr sagas.
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:28 pm

So was it a starter set that you could put the tapes in? It seems pretty rare compared to the other boxsets, there isn't even one on Amazon, unless it's this, although I have a feeling that that's just someone selling the two discs together, That seems fairly pointless to me when it's only two tapes. I mean, I can understand the Frieza saga because it's long, but the Ginyu Saga is only 7 episodes.