The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The mysteries that still surround HG's dub of DB

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Ashura wrote:I want to start doing a manifest of what we have to send them:

-The original, broken up capture of the movie that's missing parts. This has some 'better' audio in some parts.
Yeah I'm pretty sure anybody who's watched the HG dub at this point has at least seen it through this version, here's a funny little story for you guys, the original copies I had downloaded in 2011/2012 ended up becoming corrupt after I copied them them to dvd and then tried to copy them back to my HDD (a virus nearly wiped everything out), and it was only recently I was able to find the original files online again (I've since backed them up onto a flash drive to try and avoid making the same mistake twice).
Ashura wrote:-The full capture of the entire movie that Takarajima uncovered. This is actually is pretty great condition save for the beginning a little bit.
Yeah takarajima really dug up a gem by finding that.
Ashura wrote:-The Spanish dub of the HG movie which shows us frame accurately how it all went together, as well as including the best quality version of the theme song.
I don't know about the best quality version of the theme song remark, but other than that you're right it shows exactly what HG did to the movie (though the bizarre overscan on movie 1 still has me confused).
Ashura wrote:Apparently, Takarajima or Kei have also uncovered episode 1 of the TV series? Does someone mind breaking down what's there of it?
takarajima was the one who managed to uncover the first episode and sent it to kei to compare maybe kei would be the best person who'd be able to give us a thorough breakdown of just how much of the first episode takarajima has managed to uncover.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:32 am

superrayman3 wrote:I don't know about the best quality version of the theme song remark, but other than that you're right it shows exactly what HG did to the movie (though the bizarre overscan on movie 1 still has me confused).
Unless the version of episode 1 Takarajima uncovered has better quality audio, it probably is...
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Ashura wrote:-The katakana in the Dragonball logo is wiped away on the intro to Blood Rubies.
Sorry for bringing this up again but I'm starting to think that the katakana being erased from the logo wasn't something that was made exclusively for the Harmony Gold dub, I say this because it seems Harmony Gold and the spanish company that did Zero Y El Dragon Magico weren't the only countries that had the Katakana erased from the logo, it seems the Italian version also had the katakana erased as well see here for reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj0UkKeI0rA from this I gather that Toei had made versions of the openings without the katakana on the logo early on in DB's original production so that if a company requested a version without the katakana present Toei would be able to oblige.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:38 pm

You're probably right, super. It's still worth noting though. :)

I haven't heard from either Kei or Takarajima in response to my Pms. I'm guessing they must be busy. Hopefully they surface sometime soon. :)
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:23 am

諸行無常・・・・・・・
Last edited by takarajima on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi everyone,

With regard to the high quality Japanese audio that we are trying to give to FUNimation, I had a nice breakthrough. Christopher Sabat told me he will personally take care of the tapes if they are delivered to FUNimation, and will ensure they are stored properly.

But before we send the tapes, I am waiting to hear back from a Producer at FUNimation on the issue to see what she says, and to confirm it. That should be early next week. If she says no, then Chris will take them into his sound studio at Okratron.

In either case it seems we've found a home for the tapes!

Just keep in mind this does not mean that they will use them in any way, such as on the next release of DBZ on Blu-ray, which they obviously should since it's the "way it's meant to be seen (and heard)."
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:03 pm

DerekPadula wrote:Hi everyone,

With regard to the high quality Japanese audio that we are trying to give to FUNimation, I had a nice breakthrough. Christopher Sabat told me he will personally take care of the tapes if they are delivered to FUNimation, and will ensure they are stored properly.

But before we send the tapes, I am waiting to hear back from a Producer at FUNimation on the issue to see what she says, and to confirm it. That should be early next week. If she says no, then Chris will take them into his sound studio at Okratron.

Just keep in mind this does not mean that they will use them in any way, such as on the next release of DBZ on Blu-ray, which they obviously should since it's the "way it's meant to be seen (and heard)."
If you gave permission to Funimation to use the tapes audio from the JP broadcast I don't see an issue of why they wouldn't use them as they're already licensed to use the JP audio anyway.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:15 pm

DerekPadula wrote:Hi everyone,

Why would anyone send the tapes if they don't guarantee using them, though? Besides, why do the tapes have to be sent and not digital recordings?

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:29 pm

I'm not an audio expert, but direct from the source is always better, isn't it?

And we're sending the tapes because otherwise they'll be lost to time, possibly degrade, and be of no use to anyone. They have Japanese footage of DBZ on them as well, which can perhaps be of use.

I don't recall other reasons beside those, but that was what we discussed a long time ago, so that is what I have been working on and now finally have accomplished.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:31 pm

DerekPadula wrote:I'm not an audio expert, but direct from the source is always better, isn't it?

And we're sending the tapes because otherwise they'll be lost to time, possibly degrade, and be of no use to anyone. They have Japanese footage of DBZ on them as well, which can perhaps be of use.

I don't recall other reasons beside those, but that was what we discussed a long time ago, so that is what I have been working on and now finally have accomplished.
Did Kei really say okay to send the physical tapes?

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:If you gave permission to Funimation to use the tapes audio from the JP broadcast I don't see an issue of why they wouldn't use them as they're already licensed to use the JP audio anyway.
There's probably some legal hurtles FUNimation would have to go through with Toei before they'd be allowed to use that audio as Toei still own the copyrights to all of the DB/DBZ/DBGT material (someone may have made the home recordings of the Japanese broadcast audio but Toei still holds the rights to the audio itself as they are the ones that created the original source), not only that but there's also a serious risk of reverse importation as well, if FUNimation was to use this Higher Quality Japanese audio that would give Japanese consumers a very good reason to want to reverse import a foreign DBZ release which is something Toei would like Japanese consumers to avoid doing as much as they possibly can.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:31 pm

True.

However, I say "tough cookies, TOEI." If you ignore our emails and phone calls for 3 years, this is what happens.

But true. We'll see what unfolds.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:02 pm

DerekPadula wrote:True.

However, I say "tough cookies, TOEI." If you ignore our emails and phone calls for 3 years, this is what happens.

But true. We'll see what unfolds.
It's easy enough for a fan to tell Toei "tough cookies" but for FUNimation it's not as easy to do so because Toei still holds all of the cards, if FUNimation goes against what Toei says they could pull the rights from FUNimation the as soon as they find out, but for now let's just wait and see what happens.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:32 pm

I say give to FUNimation or Sabat the audio tape. I prefer to give to Sabat over FUNimation though.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:47 am

Just received this from Christopher Sabat:

"You know what? Send them to me and I will make sure FUNimation uses them. I can force this through. Also, I'd like to hear them."

!!!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:45 am

Wow, really. Can I call for provision of better videotapes on Twitter, then?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:54 am

If Sabat is for real I am quite ecstatic. If he wants to hear what they sound like maybe we should link him to a few of the videos on YouTube?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:10 am

Wow, this is quite the exciting news. The chances we'll hear broadcast-quality audio on a domestic DragonBal release keeps getting better little by little... I'm glad to hear Sabat is personally interested in the project; he's always been one to listen to fans.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:14 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:Wow, this is quite the exciting news. The chances we'll hear broadcast-quality audio on a domestic DragonBal release keeps getting better little by little... I'm glad to hear Sabat is personally interested in the project; he's always been one to listen to fans.
I wonder if his time working with Horikawa Ryou has given him a personal stake in the idea, too?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:18 am

JulieYBM wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:Wow, this is quite the exciting news. The chances we'll hear broadcast-quality audio on a domestic DragonBal release keeps getting better little by little... I'm glad to hear Sabat is personally interested in the project; he's always been one to listen to fans.
I wonder if his time working with Horikawa Ryou has given him a personal stake in the idea, too?
This might piss some forum users off... but if the new Blu-Rays end up with this audio on them, I'm so buying them, regardless of the video quality. :D
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.