The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 pm

I don't know if this has been brought up before or not so if it has please lock this thread. Recently I've been doing some research on Harmony Gold's dub of Dragon Ball to try and separate the facts from the misconceptions. While I was looking around on the net I stumbled across a guide on DBZ uncensored that gives a thorough breakdown of who did what with the Dragon Ball anime, and in said guide I found something about the HG dub that caught my attention that AFAIK hasn't been discussed yet. According to the guide HG only dubbed movies 1&3 and aired it on TV as a special to test market the show but after the failure of movies 1&3 HG stopped dubbing Dragon Ball and the U.S. distribution rights went back to Toei. So this begs the question, Did Harmony Gold actually dub any episodes of DB or was movies 1&3 all they did?
Last edited by superrayman3 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: The pilot episodes of HG's dub of DB might not exist

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm pretty sure at least a few people on here have/have seen tapes of the first few episodes. I know because people have said they do. One person, I can't remember who, had it, and it was destroyed in a flood.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I'm pretty sure at least a few people on here have/have seen tapes of the first few episodes. I know because people have said they do. One person, I can't remember who, had it, and it was destroyed in a flood.
If its true that people have the episodes then how come no footage from these pilot episodes has ever surfaced? I'm not doubting you but I just find it hard to believe since nothing has ever been shown other than the opening ending and movies 1&3.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:26 pm

superrayman3 wrote:nothing has ever been shown other than the opening ending and movies 1&3.
That's not true, either. I have (well, my wife has, and by extension I have) a tape with the entirety of the movie 3 dub.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:26 pm

superrayman3 wrote:If its true that people have the episodes then how come no footage from these pilot episodes has ever surfaced? I'm not doubting you but I just find it hard to believe since nothing has ever been shown other than the opening ending and movies 1&3.
Perhaps those people haven't/won't rip it? You haven't looked hard enough? There are numerous reasons why.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
superrayman3 wrote:nothing has ever been shown other than the opening ending and movies 1&3.
That's not true, either. I have (well, my wife has, and by extension I have) a tape with the entirety of the movie 3 dub.
I think he was trying to say

"Nothing has ever been shown other than the Opening and Ending themes plus Movies 1 & 3"
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

KuriboShoe

Post by KuriboShoe » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:29 pm

superrayman3 wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:I'm pretty sure at least a few people on here have/have seen tapes of the first few episodes. I know because people have said they do. One person, I can't remember who, had it, and it was destroyed in a flood.
If its true that people have the episodes then how come no footage from these pilot episodes has ever surfaced? I'm not doubting you but I just find it hard to believe since nothing has ever been shown other than the opening ending and movies 1&3.
There was a Mexican dub which was based on the Harmony Gold dub that dubbed quite a few episodes.
"HI GIRLS!" - Twilght Sparkle
I don't like the fanfic "Cupcakes"
"Silly Vegeta, It's not Halloween, It's Christmas!" - TFS Goku

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:35 pm

KuriboShoe wrote:
superrayman3 wrote:
There was a Mexican dub which was based on the Harmony Gold dub that dubbed quite a few episodes.
And even an official VHS.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm kinda glad the HG dub failed.

Lot of ridiculous name changes but the dub wasn't half bad. At least with Funimation they kept the names relatively intact.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Gonstead wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

"Nothing has ever been shown other than the Opening and Ending themes plus Movies 1 & 3"
You are correct Gonstead I know that movies 1&3 have been uploaded as I have them on my hard drive but in terms of episodes nothing has ever surfaced.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Gonstead wrote:I'm kinda glad the HG dub failed.

Lot of ridiculous name changes but the dub wasn't half bad. At least with Funimation they kept the names relatively intact.
At least with Funimation we got uncut stuffs.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:05 pm

superrayman3 wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: That's not true, either. I have (well, my wife has, and by extension I have) a tape with the entirety of the movie 3 dub.

You are correct Gonstead I know that movies 1&3 have been uploaded as I have them on my hard drive but in terms of episodes nothing has ever surfaced.
I know. I have both movies myself as well and searched high and low for anything that relates to the episodes and absolutely nothing comes up.

No recordings, no clips, no pictures, no nothing.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:16 pm

^ I think it's time to ask Kei17 for some assistance.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:35 pm

wjbraden wrote:^ I think it's time to ask Kei17 for some assistance.
That's actually a good idea Kei17 might be able to help with this topic.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:01 pm

I'm... not sure how a Japanese person will be able to help with something that was made in the US. o_o
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:10 pm

ThunderPX wrote:I'm... not sure how a Japanese person will be able to help with something that was made in the US. o_o
With kei17, you'd be surprised lol
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Rukura wrote:With kei17, you'd be surprised lol
Agreed, out of everyone who knows about the HG dub Kei17 is the most informed so if anyone can shed some light on this topic it's him.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:41 pm

JJGP1112 said he got a tape from Blockbuster in 2002 with episodes 3-6 on it, but his post disappeared. :?

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:JJGP1112 said he got a tape from Blockbuster in 2002 with episodes 3-6 on it, but his post disappeared. :?
I know I was going to quote him but his post disappeared before I could get what he said in a reply box so heres what I was going to reply with "I find what you said hard to believe considering the fact HG never released the episodes (if they exist that is) on home video format".

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:59 pm

superrayman3 wrote:"I find what you said hard to believe considering the fact HG never released the episodes (if they exist that is) on home video format".
Um, source?