Question about spelling Buu

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Question about spelling Buu

Post by Hades » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:10 am

Is the proper spelling Buu or Boo, given that I see both variants on this forum, and I'm unsure which one is the correct version.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Re: Question about spelling Buu

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:20 am

I'm pretty sure the original Japanese is spelt 'Boo', while FUNi changed it to 'Buu'.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:26 am

Herms wrote:
Kikoha Hater wrote:Herms, why is it “Buu” and not “Boo”
Well, actually can be either. Buu of course gets his name from the song from Disney's Cinderella "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo". In Japanese, the songs title is spelled ビビディ・バビディ・ブー (those dots indicate the space between each word). Buu's name in Japanese is spelled ブウ, while for the song it’s spelled ブー; however, these basically amount to the same thing (ブ is ‘bu’, ウ is ‘u’, while ー lengthens the originally ‘bu’ sound; I think both spelling would be pronounced the same). Anyway, you could argue that since the name comes from the song it should be spelt ‘Boo’ in English, but you could also argue that since his name isn’t spelled exactly like it is in the song, it should be ‘Buu’. In Japan his name is always romanized as ‘Boo’ (‘Majin-Boo’ actually, since they rarely leave the ‘Majin” part off). For the record, Bibidi and Babidi have thier names spelled in Japanese exactly like they are in the song's title.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:22 am

It could be either. FUNimation has translated the Japanese spelling to "Boo" while spelling it "Buu" for the English version. However, like all of the Japanese names, as long as you spell it how it sounds, you're fine. The very original spelling doesn't use English letters, so as long as you spell it in a way that sounds like the original, it's fine.