Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by genjosanzo8 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:08 pm

thanks :) lot of work and image treatment to prevent bright and dark issue

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:58 am

New Episodes and movies 1-2-3-4

Bianju

Post by Bianju » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:16 am

It's... It's beautiful...

IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!! :cry:

Deli295

Post by Deli295 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:46 am

Here I recompiled a bunch of Toei's Cels from the website Kei17 provided plus some others from Google. I hope you can make use of them:
https://mega.nz/#F!iENHXAiD!vglHuzU6xVSh198eB8CVlw

Deli295

Post by Deli295 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:00 am

Which are the best tools for DNR and image stabilization?

Deli295

Post by Deli295 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Also, hos do I deinterlace the footage?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:09 pm

Deli295 wrote:Also, hos do I deinterlace the footage?
You can use a program like Handbrake.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:32 pm

I'd recommend VirtualDub. Handbrake has no lossless conversion options, and the interface it's set up a little awkardly. VirtualDub has the direct settings from the individual compressor you'd be using, and it gives you much more control over the deinterlacing.

Anyway, for Dragon Ball, you'll almost never want deinterlacing; you'll want IVTC.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Deli295

Post by Deli295 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks! I will check VirtualDub then.

Deli295

Post by Deli295 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:43 pm

What about DNR and image stabilization?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Deli295 wrote:What about DNR and image stabilization?
Personally I'd stay away from DNR - it rarely looks good, especially when you're dealing with a lossy DVD source.

For pretty much everything you want to do, you should look into learning AviSynth. It's pretty script-heavy, but there are GUIs out there that make things a little easier for some people.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Ajay wrote: Personally I'd stay away from DNR - it rarely looks good, especially when you're dealing with a lossy DVD source.
What do you think about these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tak8uKZQKbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mzaT5w9bCc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V9S98hkGys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWNnAD7JvX8

They were from a fan project (that I don't think was ever completed/released). Personally, I think it looks pretty good. I wish we knew what scripts he used to get it looking like this.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:42 pm

Honestly, the main times to use DVNR would be replacing reanimated Kai 1.0 scenes with Level set footage (in all applicable cases) and Dragon Box footage (on a case by case basis depending on whether DVNR'd and upscaled Dragon Box footage look better than the reanimated footage. Also applying DVNR to either Season Blu-Ray or Orange Brick (either upscaled from the DVDs or HD Streaming footage if it exists) footage for the replacement of Boo Kai scenes where adequate removal of the green "color correction" isn't possible (amusingly, the Season Blu-Ray footage has more grain than Boo Kai's zero grain yet has smearing the other one doesn't)

If you weren't looking at Kai and related stuff (flashbacks in Super), then it would be best to avoid DVNR whenever possible for DB media. The grain is part of the image, and removing it will result in the loss of at least some detail.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Danfun64 wrote:(amusingly, the Season Blu-Ray footage has more grain than Boo Kai's zero grain yet has smearing the other one doesn't)
That's actually not surprising at all if you think about it. Firstly, Funimation's film is 2nd generation, it has it's own grain on top of the texture of the original copy. Funimation would need more DVNR to acquire the same result you'd get with Toei's original film. Even if Funimation's has more grain (I'll need to see the Blu-rays to confirm that), it's likely that the tool was still used much more excessively than it was for Kai 2.0. Secondly, much of the smear on Funimation's product is only half caused by the DVNR. The other process that causes smearing is oversharpening, which is only a real problem with Funimation's version.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 pm

DNR is an awful idea. The show looks fine with grain, and all DNR really achieves is blurring, particularly on a lossy, standard-def DVD source.

Light amounts of DNR is fine when a professional is doing a new transfer from film, but even then, it should be reduced, not removed.

Also, by the way, according to Steve Franko, FUNimation's film is 5th generation.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Also, by the way, according to Steve Franko, FUNimation's film is 5th generation.
Wha... bu... How even?! If he's not mistaken, that's hilariously absurd.
Retired.

Deli295

Post by Deli295 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:37 pm

I've seen a mediafire upload with a bunch of comparison pics and the correction looked awesome, color corrected and with little to no grain left. I think it was Corpsecreate, but don't quote me on that. I would like to have Dragon Ball like that. Also I tried to find any image loss in quality but I really could not.

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:52 pm

All of these examples of DNR look like crap, sorry to be frank. The level sets had just the right amount of it applied to remove the multi-generational film grain while retaining fine detail. All of these encoders spewing more of it on there are just showing off their skills in avisynth without actually enhancing anything. If you want smeary un-detailed footage, we have the orange bricks.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 pm

...except there are several cases where the Season Blu-Rays are even more smeared than the Orange Bricks...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Vorige Waffe wrote:All of these examples of DNR look like crap, sorry to be frank. The level sets had just the right amount of it applied to remove the multi-generational film grain while retaining fine detail. All of these encoders spewing more of it on there are just showing off their skills in avisynth without actually enhancing anything. If you want smeary un-detailed footage, we have the orange bricks.
Could you demonstrate how? Moderate DVNR doesn't remove a whole lot of useful detail from the footage, it's only when you use the same Seussian levels (often coupled with equally Seussian resharpening levels) as Funimation does that problems appear. While I prefer the sharp, grainy look, what's being done in this thread looks just fine. I also don't understand why you think the Level Sets is an ideal example of how to apply DVNR. It uses so little that they may as well have not even bothered. This totalitarian anti-DVNR attitude really is the Orange Bricks' fault, it gives everyone a hostile attitude towards the tool for no other reason than the fact that it can be misused sometimes.
Danfun64 wrote:...except there are several cases where the Season Blu-Rays are even more smeared than the Orange Bricks...
Even more than that, the Blu-rays are universally more smeared than the bricks. No contest.
Retired.