Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku83

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by goku83 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:03 am

Robo4900 wrote:
goku83 wrote:Image
The noise reduction here is very bad, and exposes a lot of MPEG-2 compression artifacts. In future, don't do any noise reduction; it simply doesn't work with DVD-compressed footage. The CC itself is pretty nice, though.
it's not my cc i am unable to do cc myself but i would like learning to do it, the left is from genjosanzo8 i can't talk to him he seems banned and the right is from a youtube user i talk and he is a very good with color

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 am

Robo4900 wrote: The noise reduction here is very bad, and exposes a lot of MPEG-2 compression artifacts. In future, don't do any noise reduction; it simply doesn't work with DVD-compressed footage. The CC itself is pretty nice, though.
What MPEG2 compression artifacts did you see?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:29 pm

lansing wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: The noise reduction here is very bad, and exposes a lot of MPEG-2 compression artifacts. In future, don't do any noise reduction; it simply doesn't work with DVD-compressed footage. The CC itself is pretty nice, though.
All over the sky area, there's a really blocky look to it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:31 pm

lansing wrote:
It's very obvious along all of the lines.
Retired.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:44 am

Robo4900 wrote:
lansing wrote:
All over the sky area, there's a really blocky look to it.
Do you mean banding? Yeah I saw them, with the help of 400% zoom...
And it was not cause by MPEG2 compression but the lack of bit depth, as we can still see them in modern anime.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:32 pm

lansing wrote:Do you mean banding? Yeah I saw them, with the help of 400% zoom...
And it was not cause by MPEG2 compression but the lack of bit depth, as we can still see them in modern anime.
No, we're talking about the awful blocky texture over the sky.
You must have a pretty poor monitor if you can't see it... >_>

Anyway, it's probably present in the original DBox footage too, but it's unnoticeable there because it's hidden by the film grain. Reason #252 why DNR is an awful idea.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
lansing wrote:Do you mean banding? Yeah I saw them, with the help of 400% zoom...
No, we're talking about the awful blocky texture over the sky.
You must have a pretty poor monitor if you can't see it... >_>

Anyway, it's probably present in the original DBox footage too, but it's unnoticeable there because it's hidden by the film grain. Reason #252 why DNR is an awful idea.
Well you may need to point them out then because I don't see the "blocky texture" that you talked about, and I have a very good 24 inch monitor.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:56 pm

lansing wrote:Well you may need to point them out then because I don't see the "blocky texture" that you talked about, and I have a very good 24 inch monitor.
Is your monitor properly calibrated? In any case, I can definitely see them. Maybe you'll notice the blockiness we do if I sharpen the image a bit enough to make me cringe:
[spoiler]Original:
Sharpened:
Further Sharpened:
Image[/spoiler]
Notice how that even with the extreme sharpening, the blockiness doesn't show up in the original.
Retired.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:02 pm

It doesn't look so much like MPEG2 artifacts to me, rather it looks like the noise removal didn't perform an even job throughout the sky, so portions where the grain was "darker" were left darker, so the sky has uneven blobs all around it. in the before image, you can kind of see the same portions of the sky are slightly darker (but the grain is intact, so it looks fine).

It also wasn't denoised enough to begin with, since the grain was just blurred, but you can still see patches where it once was, which is especially noticeable on Silver's skin.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:10 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
lansing wrote:Well you may need to point them out then because I don't see the "blocky texture" that you talked about, and I have a very good 24 inch monitor.
Is your monitor properly calibrated? In any case, I can definitely see them. Maybe you'll notice the blockiness we do if I sharpen the image a bit enough to make me cringe:
Further Sharpened:
Image[/spoiler]
Notice how that even with the extreme sharpening, the blockiness doesn't show up in the original.
That is banding, which is exactly what I said...

It was not a compression artifact but the lack of bit depth to store all the image information. It occurs often on gradient or flat area when you go from a high bit depth source into a lower bit depth medium. For example, storing a 10 bit video onto a 8 bit blu-ray. It has nothing to do with MPEG2 compression and it's not a problem on the noise reduction filter either.

What we can do to combat this is call dithering, that is putting some noise on top of the "edges" of those areas and try to smooth them out. Some complicated noise reduction filters will have this function bundled as well.

goku83

Post by goku83 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:07 pm

the point of the picture wasn't to show off degraining. it was the amazing color correction that i showed you guys for. notice how the kid goku one doesn't have any degraining. the sloppy degraining isn't relevant

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Image
I think we know how Super got its new look. 8)
goku83 wrote:the point of the picture wasn't to show off degraining. it was the amazing color correction that i showed you guys for. notice how the kid goku one doesn't have any degraining. the sloppy degraining isn't relevant
Indeed. And the CC is very good. It gets across the bright, fun atmosphere in its colour palette, which I very much like.

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Guys, those are undoubtedly compression artifacts and macroblocking in the image with Colonel Silver.

No offense, but if you're gonna color correct, learn to encode first. And the DNR isn't helping.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:48 am

This is completely off topic so I hope an exception can be made here as I can't find a place on the internet with people who are knowledgeable about things like this outside of Kanzenshuu.

Recently The Pokemon Company released "HD" versions of the original anime digitally through iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play. When I'm watching said video, it doesn't really seem to be HD as it's very blurry, but at the same time, it does look clearer/cleaner in ways so maybe it is HD. Below are screenshots of releases of the anime alongside a 1080p screen from the HD release.

Could anyone assist and tell me if this release is actually HD or isn't? Thank you.

Original Japanese Release
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

English Dub Release
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

English Dub HD Release
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Imgur Gallery Link
http://imgur.com/a/4NtNT

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:31 am

Looks like a straight upscale to me. It's technically HD, since the video's resolution is now 1080p, but there are no new details gained from it, and one would be just as well off watching the DVD and letting the TV or DVD/BD player do the upscaling. Also, in the case of buying DVDs vs BD upscales, the DVDs are both cheaper and have the same picture quality. That upscaled image seems just a tad better than the SD ones (are they all from streams? They all look very compressed and smudged), but in this case it's probably that the SD images have a ridiculously low bitrate.

Someone will tell me that I'm terribly wrong and that it's not actually an upscale, and also upscales are actually good and they're almost always preferable to the source SD footage, since these days I have a lot of people always telling me I'm wrong in my posts on most other sites I visit. In case I'm wrong here too, I just want to toss that out to save face or something... :eh:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:01 am

No anime produced between 2000-2005 are HD, because that's the phase when anime production changed from film to digital. They were all original produced in 480p, such as the early episode of Naruto, Bleach and One piece, Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny, Death Note, Initial D. All HD version of these anime are upscales.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:05 pm

Pokemon started in 97, so the first few years ought to be cel-based animation.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:44 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Pokemon started in 97, so the first few years ought to be cel-based animation.
The cut-off point isn't concrete. Pokémon was animated on cels, but these cels were scanned onto digital or tape, which is standard def.

If you want a HD version, you'd have to re-scan all the original cels, re-composite them onto all the backgrounds, recreate all the movements and pans, sync up the soundtrack...
Basically, it's not happening. It will always be standard def.

As a side-note, GT was in an odd position for a while; it ran from '96-'97, and was animated on cels, which were put to film, but the final output was D2 tape, despite all the film negatives being essentially complete copies of the episodes. So, GT is quite fortunate to have been produced in the middle-ground between the end of film, and the beginning of tape.
(The one oddity that comes from this involves the fact that Toei scanned the film masters for the Dragon Boxes(Except for the GT TV special); the one thing missing on the film masters of GT is the credits scroll in the #64 ending montage. That scroll was added in the tape version, and Toei never realised it was missing, so it's missing in the Dragon Box masters)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:14 pm

I see, I'm still learning about these things. :mrgreen:

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:13 am

No, early Pokémon was scanned onto film. There was a remaster of episode 1 airing a couple years ago on Pokémon Smash that was very much not an upscale.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.