Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
ionutbigiu1 wrote:Image
That is FAR too bright. His skin is bleached out almost to pure white. And the sky is a bit too blue; should have a bit more green in it.
Hmm it must have been that gohan was on Bleach diet lately. XD You are aware that gohan is pretty white in this saga right ?

But also there are variants

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:04 pm

ionutbigiu1 wrote:
Hmm it must have been that gohan was on Bleach diet lately. XD You are aware that gohan is pretty white in this sagas right ?
the main problem is that the kai footage is brighter than the cels so when you match the cels you correct it,
Last edited by HakkaiBills93 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm a bit late to this newest part of the discussion.

I think the color changes for the most part are great.

Any chance of applying this to the Dragon Box footage though instead of Kai? (Note: I have not fooled around with the newer software mentioned)
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
ionutbigiu1 wrote:Image
That is FAR too bright. His skin is bleached out almost to pure white. And the sky is a bit too blue; should have a bit more green in it.
Yeah you can do a few a few lower level settings i suppose , Kai 2.0 isa lready so bright damn .
Last edited by ionutbigiu1 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:08 pm

ect5150 wrote:I'm a bit late to this newest part of the discussion.

Any chance of applying this to the Dragon Box footage though instead of Kai? (Note: I have not fooled around with the newer software mentioned)
if you get the needed references yes but to build the lut you just need to change the kai source by the dragon box i tried to used the kai shot lansing show before (the one with piccolo, goten and trunks) and to build the lut using the dbox as source and it worked almost the same but little darker
the hardest part is to get the color references cels with the right amount of colors for each episode and each scenes (because on one episode goten shirt can be darker or brighter than in another one)

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:12 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:

if you get the needed references yes but to build the lut you just need to change the kai source by the dragon box i tried to used the kai shot lansing show before (the one with piccolo, goten and trunks) and to build the lut using the dbox as source and it worked almost the same but little darker
the hardest part is to get the color references cels with the right amount of colors for each episode and each scenes (because on one episode goten shirt can be darker or brighter than in another one)
And the guide to do this new version is where?

The start of the this thread had a great intro for everyone... nice, long and full of details with screen shots. Anyone do anything like that yet?
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:15 pm

ect5150 wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:

The start of the this thread had a great intro for everyone... nice, long and full of details with screen shots. Anyone do anything like that yet?
there isn't as lansing is allways working on his method else just download the color match tools from dr dre (watch on google it will lead you where it is
and with the tools you'll have a lut in .cube that you'll import in encode software that support them like after effect or others

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:17 pm

ect5150 wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:

This is a random test on Dragon Boxes . For Buu saga that is .

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:24 pm

That's a lot better.

I think the overbrightening in your CCing ends up working out on the DBox footage because the DBox footage is too dark anyway. Plus, the picture quality is a lot better than Boo Kai anyway, so the overall result is just a lot better.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:That's a lot better.

I think the overbrightening in your CCing ends up working out on the DBox footage because the DBox footage is too dark anyway. Plus, the picture quality is a lot better than Boo Kai anyway, so the overall result is just a lot better.

Indeed, thank you for your freedback . Footage of Kai 2.0 is already so bright , but sometimes kai 2.0 hides a lot of detail in its backgorund that is for sure.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:32 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: and you are the only one working right now as you seems to do such a complex task, it will be a huge task to get them as even when you find website where there is lot of cels, those often aren't well scanned or just a photo
I'm only going to do one episode for testing. Hopefully another MrWalnut4 will come by with his scans.
HakkaiBills93 wrote: of course i won't say bad things about a professionnal colorist but as it is complex to color correct dragon ball he worked with references he got and i think that he recovered colors of the original printed stuffs, i read here one time that cel scan are differrent than what is print on film (i supposed it's the way it is printed)
and yes it's differrent for example bulma and how steve franko colored her
I think that's probably what it was on the original film. For example, you may think that there's something wrong with Vegita's skin color during the planet Namek part of the season set, but when you check on the dragon ball card, at 3:00 of the video, the card also showed yellow on his skin:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxQVmxRyyCU
Toei cels have differrent colors than the ones of season sets (like buu colors for example) i already tried to match colors and it often don't work properly i don't really think that those are true cels even if it could have been great
for example here a vod cel
[spoiler]Image
here a cel
Image[/spoiler]
colors are way too much differrent
The color of Buu look different from time to time, depending on the light source around him.

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:36 pm

lansing wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote: and you are the only one working right now as you seems to do such a complex task, it will be a huge task to get them as even when you find website where there is lot of cels, those often aren't well scanned or just a photo
I'm only going to do one episode for testing. Hopefully another MrWalnut4 will come by with his scans.
HakkaiBills93 wrote: of course i won't say bad things about a professionnal colorist but as it is complex to color correct dragon ball he worked with references he got and i think that he recovered colors of the original printed stuffs, i read here one time that cel scan are differrent than what is print on film (i supposed it's the way it is printed)
and yes it's differrent for example bulma and how steve franko colored her
I think that's probably what it was on the original film. For example, you may think that there's something wrong with Vegita's skin color during the planet Namek part of the season set, but when you check on the dragon ball card, at 3:00 of the video, the card also showed yellow on his skin:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Toei cels have differrent colors than the ones of season sets (like buu colors for example) i already tried to match colors and it often don't work properly i don't really think that those are true cels even if it could have been great
for example here a vod cel
[spoiler]Image
here a cel
Image[/spoiler]
colors are way too much differrent
The color of Buu look different from time to time, depending on the light source around him.
What episode is the one with vegeta on namek shot ?

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:45 pm

ionutbigiu1 wrote: What episode is the one with vegeta on namek shot ?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:48 pm

lansing wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
and here the vod cel
but i really think they aren't reliable (toei cels)
in no case cell have those colors

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:59 pm

lansing wrote:
ionutbigiu1 wrote: What episode is the one with vegeta on namek shot ?

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:06 pm

ect5150 wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:

Not yet but I would be in full support of collaborating with a few users here to draft a new updated guide including instructions for Dr. Dre's tool. Anyone interested can PM me and we can maybe try to stitch something together.

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:10 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
lansing wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
and here the vod cel
but i really think they aren't reliable (toei cels)
in no case cell have those colors
Totally agreed, these are too messed up to even take in consideration.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Question. Are you lot who are color correcting episodes of DB/DBZ doing every single episode or just randomly picking one to see what results you gain?

I get the point of this and if fans are really bothered by the colors, they may as well do it themselves because Toei won't.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Question. Are you lot who are color correcting episodes of DB/DBZ doing every single episode or just randomly picking one to see what results you gain?

I get the point of this and if fans are really bothered by the colors, they may as well do it themselves because Toei won't.
Well the point is to do every single episode .

Last edited by ionutbigiu1 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:02 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Question. Are you lot who are color correcting episodes of DB/DBZ doing every single episode or just randomly picking one to see what results you gain?

I guess you could say the main goal is to do all episodes but its extremely hard as we are all working with commercial releases and limited reference material. Personally I'm doing doing a kai cut out of the Dbox but i hope i could also of some help in this endeavor.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink: