Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 am

What would this be for? As in would this work on DBoxes, Kai 2.0 would it include the movies and the specials?
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:What would this be for? As in would this work on DBoxes, Kai 2.0 would it include the movies and the specials?
Most likely not

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:What would this be for? As in would this work on DBoxes, Kai 2.0 would it include the movies and the specials?
It can work on any series.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:46 pm

lansing wrote:
Does that mean we would need a cel for every scene?

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
lansing wrote:
Does that mean we would need a cel for every scene?
We can separate the cels into characters and backgrounds. For the character cels, I'm assuming that there wouldn't be many variation of color palettes for each, so if we get enough samples of a certain character, we should be able to identify the number of color palette patterns used for it. For example, for a super saiyan gohan, he may have one color palette each for normal, bright and dark environment. If we can identify what they are, then we wound't need to have the cel for the scene in order to choose the right color palette.

For the background, I don't know.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 pm

lansing wrote:We can separate the cels into characters and backgrounds. For the character cels, I'm assuming that there wouldn't be many variation of color palettes for each, so if we get enough samples of a certain character, we should be able to identify the number of color palette patterns used for it. For example, for a super saiyan gohan, he may have one color palette each for normal, bright and dark environment. If we can identify what they are, then we wound't need to have the cel for the scene in order to choose the right color palette.

Ah i see, yeah we got plenty of character cels but no actual background. What about using a broad cast episode?

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
lansing wrote:We can separate the cels into characters and backgrounds. For the character cels, I'm assuming that there wouldn't be many variation of color palettes for each, so if we get enough samples of a certain character, we should be able to identify the number of color palette patterns used for it. For example, for a super saiyan gohan, he may have one color palette each for normal, bright and dark environment. If we can identify what they are, then we wound't need to have the cel for the scene in order to choose the right color palette.

Ah i see, yeah we got plenty of character cels but no actual background. What about using a broad cast episode?
There's no point to use broadcast samples when you're going for the highest quality.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 pm

lansing wrote:There's no point to use broadcast samples when you're going for the highest quality.
Where else could you get back ground reference? I guess you could stick with Funi blu rays but they aren't perfect either.

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:51 am

Bruma rabu wrote:

Most of the times even broadcast samples are. It the best to take in consideration. They have a lower brightness and faded. But they are good to use them as a part of a reference pack instead of using them for more purposes.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:24 pm

ionutbigiu1 wrote:Most of the times even broadcast samples are. It the best to take in consideration. They have a lower brightness and faded. But they are good to use them as a part of a reference pack instead of using them for more purposes.
I don't want to be rude but could you reword that? I not sure what you're trying to say.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:04 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
ionutbigiu1 wrote:Most of the times even broadcast samples are good reference. It the best to take in consideration. They have a lower brightness and faded. But they are good to use them as a part of a reference pack instead of using them for more purposes.
I don't want to be rude but could you reword that? I not sure what you're trying to say.
i think that even faded and with brightness issues, broadcast videos are good references as they are from generation 1 master and all aren't degrade , so you can by watching them think about what colors, the background should be.
Kei said once here if i correctly remember that when cels are shot on film, the color already degrade

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:23 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
ionutbigiu1 wrote:Most of the times even broadcast samples are good reference. It the best to take in consideration. They have a lower brightness and faded. But they are good to use them as a part of a reference pack instead of using them for more purposes.
i think that even faded and with brightness issues, broadcast videos are good references as they are from generation 1 master and all aren't degrade , so you can by watching them think about what colors, the background should be.
Kei said once here if i correctly remember that when cels are shot on film, the color already degrade
Thank you for completing the missing words, I was half asleep haha.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:26 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:i think that even faded and with brightness issues, broadcast videos are good references as they are from generation 1 master and all aren't degrade , so you can by watching them think about what colors, the background should be.
Do you think there's enough broadcast material to with?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:12 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:i think that even faded and with brightness issues, broadcast videos are good references as they are from generation 1 master and all aren't degrade , so you can by watching them think about what colors, the background should be.
Do you think there's enough broadcast material to with?
i don't know, some broadcast videos appear sometimes on differrent place and it's not like if i know the place of all of them
but if lansing way is to match things and that the broadcast videos aren't perfect it won't help him

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:59 pm

How do I make dark details visible like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUjOoqjOpD0

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Jesta' wrote:How do I make dark details visible like this?

Get the film masters & remaster it frame-by-frame.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 pm

Enigmo, why did you come back? I thought you dislike kanzenshuu?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:49 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:

Is that even him? I don't think that is.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:04 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:

I'm only guessing, but the account was made like over a month ago only posted 1 thing and it was one of enigmos videos that was posted today.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote: Enigmo, why did you come back? I thought you dislike kanzenshuu?
I'm only guessing, but the account was made like over a month ago only posted 1 thing and it was one of enigmos videos that was posted today.
I thought it was just a guy who liked Enigmo's work. Enigmo also seems to have burned some bridges with some of the admins here & got his account that he had here banned after some kind of altercation, I imagine. I mean, like Enigmo or not, his work speaks for itself with how good it is. This is also a forum for correcting footage colors, so it's not unprecedented that someone brings up questions about someone else's work.