Ideal Voice Recasts?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Ideal Voice Recasts?

Post by Akumaito Beam » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:09 am

I was recently trying to think of who my ideal voice actors would be for a Dragonball/Z/GT redub and found it to be pretty tough. Wheather it's one character or the entire shabang I'm sure we all have at least some teeny issues with the casting (be it with the original Japanese cast, the Japanese Kai cast, their respective Funi counterparts or any other language the show has been dubbed in.) I'm pretty curious to hear what you guys have to say about the matter. Who would you recast and with what actor?

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Ideal Voice Recasts?

Post by SylentEcho » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:27 am

I can't really think of any one that can voice Goku, Freeza and Kuririn other than Nowaza, Nakao and Tanaka.

AS for the English cast, I'll watch the dub if they bring back Peter Kelamis and get rid of Sabat. There's thousands of voice actors better than Sabat.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:25 am

for English: I'd have Malcolm McDowell as Freeza, Michael Bell as Goku (change the Raziel voice a bit, and he'd make a brilliant Goku), Simon Templeman as Vegeta, Kevin Conroy as Piccolo, Chris Ayres as Super Buu and Greg Ayres as Fat Buu.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:04 am

Holy ****! Kevin Conroy as Piccolo. I WANT.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:58 am

Kevin Conroy is pretty freaking sweet. Heck lets some how throw Mark Hamil in there as well. Don't know for who but whatever screw the small details.

And I would cast Chris Sabat for every other character. Just to annoy everybody :lol:

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Why does everyone hate Sabats voice. It's true that his voice is pretty simplistic and its not as difficult as Drummond's Vegeta, but the voice does sound pretty awesome :P

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:15 pm

A lotof people, myself included, like his voice . My statement was more of a joke about others not liking it because there is also a lot that don't. And actually I think a big reason people don't like him has to do with his non-Vegeta roles though some people don't like that either.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:53 pm

DBZ Abridged's MasakoX as Son Gokuu. I think he's the best English Gokuu.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:33 pm

I dislike it when people say a man should play Goku, if you wanna be authentic, go for a woman. I've always wanted to hear Zoë Wanamaker (Susan in My Family, Madam Hooch in Harry Potter, Lady Cassandra in Doctor Who, Ariadne Oliver in Poirot, and Theresa from the Fable video games). She could definitely change her voice into something more boyish to suit Goku.

Also, Kelsey Grammar as Piccolo Daimao, Tim Curry as Freeza and Patrick Stewart as Cell, it would be perfect to have these main villains cast as such famous actors.

I'd like to hear Crispin Freeman play Vegeta and Richard Epcar as Piccolo, they're awesome in Ghost in the Shell, and it would be amazing to hear them play these two. Vegeta should have a sort of boyish yet aged and pissed off sounding voice, Piccolo should sound old and like a teacher, Sabat plays both of them like they're TV wrestlers.

And this is totally unrelated but I've been reading a manga called Yotsuba&!, by Kiyohiko Azuma (Azumanga Daioh!) for a few years now and because Yotsuba's dad and his friend Jumbo remind me so much of Togusa and Batou from Ghost in the Shell I hear them in my head as Crispin Freeman and Richard Epcar. I didn't even think about it, I just read it, heard their voices and thought "I know these voices!"

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:37 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:I dislike it when people say a man should play Goku, if you wanna be authentic, go for a woman.
I personally don't mind whether or not it's a man or a woman playing Gokuu, as long as they manage to capture the fundamentals of his character. I don't understand how Gokuu being played by a woman is "authentic" anyway.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:I dislike it when people say a man should play Goku, if you wanna be authentic, go for a woman.
I personally don't mind whether or not it's a man or a woman playing Gokuu, as long as they manage to capture the fundamentals of his character. I don't understand how Gokuu being played by a woman is "authentic" anyway.
Authentic as in "A woman played him originally so a woman should play him in English", a man playing him is ok, I guess, but I was talking about if the dub copied the Japanese voices.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Corpsecreate wrote:Why does everyone hate Sabats voice. It's true that his voice is pretty simplistic and its not as difficult as Drummond's Vegeta, but the voice does sound pretty awesome :P
I don't think it fits the character's appearance very well. Vegeta is a short guy and even though he's muscular he's still quite small compared to most of the cast yet he somehow has the deepest voice? I'm not buying it. It doesn't help that his Piccolo sounds so similar. I'll never understand the logic in giving Sabat two main character roles. If he was this amazing voice actor with incredible voice range then I'd understand but he just isn't that good.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:54 pm

NitroEX wrote:I don't think it fits the character's appearance very well. Vegeta is a short guy and even though he's muscular he's still quite small compared to most of the cast yet he somehow has the deepest voice? I'm not buying it. It doesn't help that his Piccolo sounds so similar. I'll never understand the logic in giving Sabat two main character roles. If he was this amazing voice actor with incredible voice range then I'd understand but he just isn't that good.
That's pretty much why I also dislike Sabat as Vegeta and Piccolo, both sound similar and deep, it doesn't really suit the characters.

FUNimation kinda screwed Kai by hiring/allowing Sabat to voice Vegeta + Piccolo, and Schemmel as Goku. :?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 pm

The ideal would be Sabat giving up Vegeta and re-casting Goku, Kaio-sama and Mr.Satan. That's painfully obvious to me (and I've only experienced it in some of the games, so I think that says a lot)

Schemmel's (sorry if it's mispelled) Goku comes across as "manly super hero dude". Sabat's Piccolo seems to have gotten a looooot better (as in "he's acting as that character") in the recent stuff I've listened to....but Vegeta is still just a chain-smoker voice. Doing his own interpretation is acceptable, doing an exagerated forced voice for a character it does not belong in is not. Kaio-sama and Mr.Satan's voices are a little laughable (was Mr.Satan any better in the Kai dub?)
dbboxkaifan wrote:FUNimation kinda screwed Kai by hiring/allowing Sabat to voice Vegeta + Piccolo, and Schemmel as Goku. :?
Well, Sabat's the voice director soooooo...will a baby give up his candy unless someone forces it out of his hand? :lol:
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Rukura wrote:Well, Sabat's the voice director soooooo...will a baby give up his candy unless someone forces it out of his hand? :lol:
Sabat's could have made use of his authentic voice for Vegeta/Piccolo than FUNi's Vegeta-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e4gXxmrxrw

Overall, it's okay, not that bad to actually detest it completely.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:10 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Authentic as in "A woman played him originally so a woman should play him in English", a man playing him is ok, I guess, but I was talking about if the dub copied the Japanese voices.
Ah, OK. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:18 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Sabat's could have made use of his authentic voice for Vegeta/Piccolo than FUNi's Vegeta-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e4gXxmrxrw

Overall, it's okay, not that bad to actually detest it completely.
But Sabat's normal speaking voice is basically his Yamcha, so that wouldn't really work.

One of the recasts I'd like to see is, of course, Schemmel's Kaio-sama. I get that they were going for telling us that he's a jokester, but it's way overdone and I think that Schemmel could have done to make it more like his Z Nail voice.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:51 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Given that Linda Young as Freeza was probably the worst casting decision at Funi, I highly doubt they will do the same thing with Goku, as many fans will inevitably compare a woman as Goku with Linda Young's Freeza.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:05 pm

^Personally, I have a much bigger problem with how people think it makes sense to have a woman voice a character as a child and then have a man voice him later on. That's where some of the disconnect comes from.
(The argument of them not being able to do it is totally bullshit. If an actor can't do the character through all his forms, cast someone else better who can.)
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Rukura wrote:^Personally, I have a much bigger problem with how people think it makes sense to have a woman voice a character as a child and then have a man voice him later on. That's where some of the disconnect comes from.
(The argument of them not being able to do it is totally bullshit. If an actor can't do the character through all his forms, cast someone else better who can.)
Dubfans tend to think Schemmel's the authentic vocal choice for Goku, he's alright, but makes Son sound like a superhero from Marvel.

At least in Kai he said "I am the Super Saiyan, Son Goku!!", he's a Super Saiyan not a Superhero.

I wonder how Bale's Dark Knight voice would suit Goku. :P (loved TDK on BD, can't wait for TDKR on Blu-ray too!)
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray