Fights that should have lasted longer

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Fights that should have lasted longer

Post by Codarik » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:18 pm

So I was watching DBZ episode 55 when Kaio-sama has Piccolo fight Yamcha, Tien, and Chaozu. Even though it was filler I can't help to think that it was one of the most entertaining fights in the series. I definitely would have loved see that go for an entire episode or two. Also it made Yamcha look like a badass: Image

What do you guys think about this fight? And what fights would you like to have seen last longer?

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Re: Fights that should have lasted longer

Post by Necrosaber » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Goku vs Ledgic. I just thought it was all around cool. Compared to a lot of fights later in the Dragonball series, it was more choreographed and wasn't just them teleporting everywhere with the characters just rapidly punching each other. Ledgic seemed like a potentially interesting character with his knowledge of the Saiyans and the end of the fight showcased kind of a respect for each other. Was hoping to see him show up again in the series.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:41 pm

Android 16's fight with Cell was way too short.

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:36 am

To be completely honest, I don't really think there's any fight that should have of been longer. :?
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:35 am

In the manga, I think Goku vs. Vegeta should have been longer.... in the anime it was a great fight.

There are a few fights that are a little too fleeting.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:54 am

Yeah I agree, Goku vs Vegeta the second time, I feel that fight was way too short for those two at Super Saiyan 2.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:55 am

Goku vs Freeza!

....ok seriously, no.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:40 am

I think most fights were fine as they were...

But I really like how the anime handled certain fights- SSJ2 Goku vs Vegeta, Piccolo vs 17, SSJ2 Goku vs Boo.

I also enjoyed that Piccolo vs Yamucha, Tenshinhan and Chaozu. Anything to give the humans more to do.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:08 am

Super Saiyan Goku vs Cooler

Once Goku transformed you expected Cooler to get an ass kicking but all he got was a knee to the gut which makes him go straight for his trump card.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:12 am

DBZ Mick wrote: I also enjoyed that Piccolo vs Yamucha, Tenshinhan and Chaozu. Anything to give the humans more to do.
Agreed. Though I wish they were a little braver with the humans and had them give Piccolo a little more trouble than that. Sure it was amazing what they did considering it was Piccolo, but I did also feel like they were careful not to give them too much power.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:23 am

I liked the way the anime handled Vegetto vs Boo much better than the manga, because he didn't just go Super Saiyan right away. Plus, being the only time we get to see Vegetto in action, I felt like we should have as much of it as possible.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Son Goku x Majin Vegeta and one of them should've been defeated to define who's the victorious.

By default, it's Son.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 pm

SSJ2 Gohan vs Super Perfect Cell

Honestly, I'd rather have a more even and epic fight first, then a beam stuggle that was the same length as the manga version.

angelus0901
Beyond Newbie

Post by angelus0901 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Definitely SSJ2 Gohan vs Cell. I just loved watching Gohan kick Cell's ass.
What the Helheim?!

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:16 pm

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:Goku vs Freeza!
Anyone who dares to seriously ask for an extended version of the Goku vs Freeza battle needs to be forced into a clown suit at gunpoint and made to straddle down Main Street in Sturgis, South Dakota during the peak of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:04 pm

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:Goku vs Freeza!
Let it happen, even with the anime version, 30 episodes where half of it is mindless jabber and cutways is too short. :x
Last edited by TripleRach on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Obnoxious font color.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Let it happen, even with the anime version, 30 episodes where half of it is mindless jabber and cutways is too short. :x
That's it! You! Clown suit! NOW! :evil:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Let it happen, even with the anime version, 30 episodes where half of it is mindless jabber and cutways is too short. :x
That's it! You! Clown suit! NOW! :evil:
Sure. :)
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 pm

I can honestly say there's not a single fight in this series that should last longer than it currently does, and that goes for both the anime and manga.

Maybe, maybe Redict vs. Goku, if only because it was the culmination of a three-episode arc. But even then, about half an episode is entirely reasonable.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:34 pm

I'd say...

U. Gohan vs Boo, definately. And Gohan vs Dabra for that matter, we didn't get to see much of it in the manga.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!