Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by The gr » Mon May 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: The purpose of retelling BOG and ROF was because there are millions of potential new fans of the show who had not watched BOG and ROF. It was basically done to prevent continuity lockout. The BOG retelling wasn't even that bad. It was actually pretty decent and serviceable. It's the ROF retelling, more specifically from Episode 21 - 26 (Excluding the first half of EP 26 where Tate give us gorgeous animation), that the quality and consistency nose dives.
But is strange considering rof came out the same year as dbs rof,I could see why bog was retold but for rof I don't think that was a good idea because that movie never had a story to begin with,
    Here's another unpopular opinion,I'm confident that the Anime will deliver a good battle Royale
    Mostly active on discord.

Noah
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Kanassa wrote:I don't mind the lack of blood in Super. Hell, I think Black killing Future Bulma is one of the most disturbing scenes in Dragon Ball as a whole.
    I do, it's a shame that we don't have see battle damage more often, I would love to see Goku Black with blood dripping from his face like Majin Vegeta in a scene and most disturbing scene of the franchise? Call that a unpopular opinion cause this take this title easy.
    乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kanassa
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Noah wrote:
    Kanassa wrote:I don't mind the lack of blood in Super. Hell, I think Black killing Future Bulma is one of the most disturbing scenes in Dragon Ball as a whole.
    I do, it's a shame that we don't have see battle damage more often, I would love to see Goku Black with blood dripping from his face like Majin Vegeta in a scene and most disturbing scene of the franchise? Call that a unpopular opinion cause this take this title easy.
    Disturbing? That shit's hilarious. All I could think of was the Wicked Witch yelling "I'M MELTING, I'M MELTING!"
    When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
    FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
    - FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Noah
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 29, 2017 1:55 pm

Oh yea like people being sucked by a monster and having their bodies deformed in the process is pretty hilarious
    乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kanassa
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Noah wrote:Oh yea like people being sucked by a monster and having their bodies deformed in the process is pretty hilarious
    Yep, it was a pretty gunny scene, especially with the look Cell gives

Kanassa wrote:
    FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Ki Breaker
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon May 29, 2017 2:10 pm

Kanassa wrote:
    Noah wrote:Oh yea like people being sucked by a monster and having their bodies deformed in the process is pretty hilarious
    Yep, it was a pretty gunny scene, especially with the look Cell gives
    Wha.. what's a gunny..?

..Is it tasty?
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kanassa
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Ki Breaker wrote: Wha.. what's a gunny..?

..Is it tasty?
    Orgasmic laughter.

Kanassa wrote:

MaskedRider
    Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Mon May 29, 2017 2:41 pm

My unpopular opinion is that Future Trunk's Ikari transformation and his final hope slash was not an asspull.

His transformation is understandably obtained after being pushed around by Black, who effortlessly keeps beating him in battle which would make Trunks feel weak and unable to protect his people and in turn making him frustrated for feeling like he is failing. Then there is Zamasu who puts the final nail in the coffin by telling Trunks that the people he is trying to protect is suffering because of HIS sin, his own doing for past actions. Trunk's is fixated on that as seen when he exclaims he doesn't care if that is a sin, even Vegeta knows that would get to Trunks as he tells him not to listen to them,even before when he angrily gritting his teeth that all he wanted was to protect everyone. We also had information as to what the transformation was, small details but it tells you what the transformation means to Trunks. Gowasu shockingly says when Trunks transformed after seeing Vegeta and Goku on the ground after fighting Merged Zamasu, "Is this the power of rage?" and Supreme Kai notes that Trunks energy is expanding at an amazing rate.

As for the final hope slash, its not like Trunks is pointing his sword upward and gathering the people of Earth's energy for himself, you can hear Merged Zamasu and Trunk's swords grinding against each other as the ball of energy is forming, which I think gave people the impression he was taking it due to the way he was positioned but you have to remember Trunks was just as surprised as Merged Zamasu. Trunks asks everyone to lend him their energy well after the energy has been gathered and formed into the ball which goes back to his speech, he admits he is weak ("I'm not ashamed nor do I regret my weakness.") and its true in the following statements he has fought to protect everyone to his best ability and they have helped him survive (Yajirobe rescuing Trunks for example). The ball of energy was given to Trunks by the people of Earth without Trunk's knowing as they cheered on Trunks for his success, ("We work together and survive, that's who we mortals are.") to use to defeat Merged Zamasu so they can survive. I don't think its crazy for his sword to change into what it did considering half of it was energy and formed into the end of his sword before and Black can use his energy to to form a scythe.

I like to think of Trunks defeating Zamasu with his blue aura and sword as being the "Blue Wind of Hope" lyric from Aoi Kaze no Hope but that is my personal fan service.

Maybe I'm missing dots that are to be connected or I'm unknowingly excusing writing that is poor but that was how I interpreted those two scenes.

Doctor.
    Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon May 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Gog wrote:Cauliflowa never should have learned Super Saiyan.
    Nobody besides Goku should have.

Kanassa
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 29, 2017 3:27 pm

MaskedRider wrote:My unpopular opinion is that Future Trunk's Ikari transformation and his final hope slash was not an asspull.
    It's an ass-pull in that it's not explained outside of Trunks just being angry which is a very flimsy explanation. My head cannon is that Ikari is actually a true Super Saiyan 3, and that the SS3 form Goku has is simply SS2 Grade 3.

Kanassa wrote:

MaskedRider
    Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Mon May 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Kanassa wrote:
    MaskedRider wrote:My unpopular opinion is that Future Trunk's Ikari transformation and his final hope slash was not an asspull.
    It's an ass-pull in that it's not explained outside of Trunks just being angry which is a very flimsy explanation. My head cannon is that Ikari is actually a true Super Saiyan 3, and that the SS3 form Goku has is simply SS2 Grade 3.
    I think its logically conceived considering events beforehand with Trunks having training from Supreme Kai to defeat Dabura and Babidi with also surviving for a year (iirc) against Black, seeing his mother be decimated. Its not much different than Goku transforming after seeing Krillin being blown up or Gohan and Vegeta transforming after training. Forgive me if this was English only line but I would say the stage has been set up for Trunks to tap into that power to his NEED to protect everyone from Black and Zamasu. I can understand the fine details of the transformation not being explained that can cause problems but for it to have no reason to exist is where I would have to argue.

Gog
    I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon May 29, 2017 4:13 pm

Doctor. wrote:
    But then they did. I agree with you here as well, I would have preferred if every other Saiyan gained something else other than Super Saiyan to keep up with Goku.

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Gog wrote:
    Doctor. wrote:
    But then they did. I agree with you here as well, I would have preferred if every other Saiyan gained something else other than Super Saiyan to keep up with Goku.
    Vegeta gaining Super Saiyan for me was what killed the mystique of the form.

Basaku
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon May 29, 2017 5:32 pm

The gr wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote: The purpose of retelling BOG and ROF was because there are millions of potential new fans of the show who had not watched BOG and ROF. It was basically done to prevent continuity lockout. The BOG retelling wasn't even that bad. It was actually pretty decent and serviceable. It's the ROF retelling, more specifically from Episode 21 - 26 (Excluding the first half of EP 26 where Tate give us gorgeous animation), that the quality and consistency nose dives.
    But is strange considering rof came out the same year as dbs rof,I could see why bog was retold but for rof I don't think that was a good idea because that movie never had a story to begin with,
      Here's another unpopular opinion,I'm confident that the Anime will deliver a good battle Royale
      But it had main new Saiyan transformation (ROF). Sure, the story was otherwise rather self-contained but if they didn't adapt ROF, they would have to introduce SSB another way. Not much point changing 1 major plot thread if they're already redoing BOG, may as well redo Freeza movie too was likely their reasoning. Payed off anyway in the end as they're now bringing him back again and it won't come out of nowhere

ABED
      Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
      Gog wrote:
      Doctor. wrote: Nobody besides Goku should have.
      Vegeta is what killed it?
      The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
      "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
      Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
      Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 29, 2017 5:49 pm

ABED wrote:
      Lord Beerus wrote:Vegeta gaining Super Saiyan for me was what killed the mystique of the form.
      What would've been better is if Ssj was the only form and it could only be accessed at random. By doing that it would force everyone to power up in their base form and come up with new techniques or even special power ups.
      July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
      Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Nah, while I like the idea of SS1 being the only form, I like that there are logical reasons for the transformation as opposed to being random.
      The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Lord Beerus
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 29, 2017 6:40 pm

ABED wrote:
      Lord Beerus wrote:
      Gog wrote:
      Yep. Because it flies right in the face of everything that happened on Namek. Not to mention it happens off-screen.

ABED
      Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 29, 2017 6:57 pm

How does it fly in the face of everything that happens on Namek? And what's wrong with it happening off screen?

Gog
      I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon May 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Power-Levels are how Dragon Ball's fights function.