Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:13 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:Cell (Perfect) is not a bland/boring antagonist. The idea that he's genetically made up of the three previous big bads (four, counting Piccolo Jr.) PLUS the series main protagonist was a good one.
Who are the 4 villains ? Piccolo JR, Vegeta, Freeza and ? king Piccolo ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:19 pm

sintzu wrote:
Super_Divine_Genki wrote:Cell (Perfect) is not a bland/boring antagonist. The idea that he's genetically made up of the three previous big bads (four, counting Piccolo Jr.) PLUS the series main protagonist was a good one.
Who are the 4 villains ? Piccolo JR, Vegeta, Freeza and ? king Piccolo ?
My mistake. It should be three (Freeza, Vegeta, and Piccolo Jr.). King Cold wasn't a big bad.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:21 pm

King's Cold's addition to Cell is a mark of Toriyama's brilliance, though.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:36 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:He's uninteresting in spite of having every opportunity not to be.
I wouldn't go that far. Imperfect Cell at least stands out as the only character to psychologically manipulate the entire cast.
If Imperfect Cell had the same build as Goku Black (anime) regarding the mystery surrounding his character and motivations, it would made him great back then.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:Zamasu is a tragic character in the sense that he was really misguided and could have been changed if he had a better master.
It took him all of 5 minutes with Goku to decide he wanted to kill humans. The rest of his development was nothing more than fleshing out and confirming his reasons. Not exactly a tragic character, though I think it would've been interesting if that route had been taken instead.
Zamasu always had deep underlining resentment and distrust of mortals. Meeting Goku, and coming to terms with what he had "feared" in person from sparring with Goku, basically through him off the edge.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:13 pm

I am feeling that Toyotaro artstyle is more an imitation of Tadayoshi Yamamuro rather than Akira Toriyama.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:I am feeling that Toyotaro artstyle is more an imitation of Tadayoshi Yamamuro rather than Akira Toriyama.
His drawings look nothing like Yamamuro's, the compositions aren't even in the same vein. Toyotaro really couldn't imitate Yamamuro even if he wanted to, the methods are entirely different.
Retired.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:46 pm

While Funimation's dubs of Kai and the recent stuff are better than the Saban and Westwood dub, I think Ocean has the more talented actors.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:52 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Although he's not as good as Suzuoki, I actually like Hikaru Midorjkawa's Tenshinhan.
But still if we hear Tenshinhan Voice in Super it's not that it's bad but Suzuoki had a unique charm to his voice.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:55 pm

I actually liked the Wedding Dress Filler and Specially the Last Episode where goku is a savage and he straight away throws away Anin's Spoon of Spaghetti which she offers him to taste and he even fights Her but the end was nice when goku goes into the fire to stop it and in that episode he even had to push Grandpa Gohan away.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Although he's not as good as Suzuoki, I actually like Hikaru Midorjkawa's Tenshinhan.
But still if we hear Tenshinhan Voice in Super it's not that it's bad but Suzuoki had a unique charm to his voice.
I miss Suzuoki so much. :( He was one of the most talented Japanese voice actors of all time.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:While Funimation's dubs of Kai and the recent stuff are better than the Saban and Westwood dub, I think Ocean has the more talented actors.
Ocean has some very good actors, Death Note and Black Lagoon are top tier dubs, and there work on Inuyasha is very good to. The Kai dub is great but I don't believe it's the same quality as some of Funi's other dubs.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Eradicatethesaiyans

Post by Eradicatethesaiyans » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:55 am

I, for one, really like the humans.

I've always really liked Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha. As a kid, I thought that they were super cool. Especially Yamcha (mostly when he was younger) and Tien. Krillin is a character that I have a really soft spot for. His connections with Bulma, Goku, Gohan, and Roshi are strangely nostalgic and he is super funny. Possibly one of the most relatable characters in the series. Chi Chi, Bulma, and VIdel are also some of my favorites. I looked up to them a lot as a kid. Bulma is also the most iconic female in the whole series.

For some reason I've always liked GT, but not for the plot. I find most of it really nostalgic, like the fact that the main Z characters grown up and for the ending themes.
Majin Buu: So, hotshot, you want to fight Majin Buu?
Gohan: Fight you? No. I want to kill you.

Gohan: Now I'll show you why my little brother looks up to me.
Majin Buu: He doesn't. In fact, he wonders why you let me absorb him.

Future Gohan: You cannot gain without first suffering the pain of loss.

Gohan: 16, you loved life. You gave everything up to save it. And you were just an Android. I let you die...I can't do that...I won't watch anymore. I...I feel it slipping. And I won't watch this anymore!

Goku: Gohan! You've got to take Cell down now before he can regenerate!
Gohan: Take him down now? No, I think I'll wait. I'm going to let him suffer for a little while.

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Somebody has probably said it already but I find Path to Power a tad bit overrated.
Don't get me wrong, it's still a good movie with really good animation but I just don't put it close to the top among all the DB/Z movies. My issue with it is that it has some rather odd flow and watching it it felt to me that if I weren't a DB fan already familiar with the old story of DB's beginnings, the events going on in it would just feel odd. Because all the familiar events are compressed to movie format there's not that much of a journey for Goku and Bulma and they just have random events thrown at them at a fast pace. Goku stumbles upon Bulma, then they stumble upon Oolong, then suddenly Yamcha, then suddenly Muscle Tower, then suddenly Roshi. At least it gets better in the latter half. Again, if I wasn't familiar with DB already I'd think these events are coming out of nowhere, but I suppose I'd need an opinion from someone who watched this first.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:37 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
I miss Suzuoki so much. :( He was one of the most talented Japanese voice actors of all time.
he was

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:While Funimation's dubs of Kai and the recent stuff are better than the Saban and Westwood dub, I think Ocean has the more talented actors.
I've personally never been crazy about Ocean's pool of actors. It's not that they're bad, but they don't leave much of an impression on me. This really started to occur to me after watching through Beast Wars. The voice acting in that show is way too over the top for it's own good.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:06 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
I've personally never been crazy about Ocean's pool of actors. It's not that they're bad, but they don't leave much of an impression on me. This really started to occur to me after watching through Beast Wars. The voice acting in that show is way too over the top for it's own good.
It's Transformers. Were you expecting subtlety?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:11 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
It's Transformers. Were you expecting subtlety?
No, but even so, the performances, along with much of the dialogue just seem too silly for me to buy the more serious moments.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:17 pm

Fair enough. I only watched the show sporadically 20 years ago, but I don't recall being bugged by the acting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:20 pm

For the record, I don't think Beast Wars is a bad show. There are good things about it, and I can definitely see why it holds a special place for many Transformers fans. I probably would've been more invested in the show if I were a bigger Transformers fan, which I'm not.