Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:59 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:I wish we got another adventure focused arc after red ribbon.
At least half of Namek was an adventure arc, and that half was about as long as the RRA.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:05 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:I wish we got another adventure focused arc after red ribbon.
At least half of Namek was an adventure arc, and that half was about as long as the RRA.
True, but it in all fairness, it's the fighting portion of the arc that's most remembered. It even features the longest fight in the entire series.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:30 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:While Funimation's dubs of Kai and the recent stuff are better than the Saban and Westwood dub, I think Ocean has the more talented actors.
I've personally never been crazy about Ocean's pool of actors. It's not that they're bad, but they don't leave much of an impression on me. This really started to occur to me after watching through Beast Wars. The voice acting in that show is way too over the top for it's own good.
Fine by me. I personally don't mind over-the-top acting since it's basically what defines Transformers. I can't think of one series that doesn't have it. If I had to choose between bad overacting and bad underacting, I'd choose bad overacting. At least they try.

Still, Beast Wars has its fair share of subtle moments, and the actors shine in those moments. But I doubt you'll give them any credit.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:40 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:While Funimation's dubs of Kai and the recent stuff are better than the Saban and Westwood dub, I think Ocean has the more talented actors.
I've personally never been crazy about Ocean's pool of actors. It's not that they're bad, but they don't leave much of an impression on me. This really started to occur to me after watching through Beast Wars. The voice acting in that show is way too over the top for it's own good.
Fine by me. I personally don't mind over-the-top acting since it's basically what defines Transformers. I can't think of one series that doesn't have it. If I had to choose between bad overacting and bad underacting, I'd choose bad overacting. At least they try.

Still, Beast Wars has its fair share of subtle moments, and the actors shine in those moments. But I doubt you'll give them any credit.

Like I said, I don't hate Beast Wars. There definitely are good things about it, and it definitely deserves some credit for actually trying to tell a story, rather than simply being an excuse to sell toys. I just feel that the voice acting can get pretty silly. There's no reason to be defensive.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:29 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

Like I said, I don't hate Beast Wars. There definitely are good things about it, and it definitely deserves some credit for actually trying to tell a story, rather than simply being an excuse to sell toys. I just feel that the voice acting can get pretty silly. There's no reason to be defensive.
And what's wrong with having silly moments in a serious show?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:49 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Fine by me. I personally don't mind over-the-top acting since it's basically what defines Transformers. I can't think of one series that doesn't have it. If I had to choose between bad overacting and bad underacting, I'd choose bad overacting. At least they try.

I wasn't referring to the silly moments, I meant that a lot of the serious moments were kind of difficult to take seriously because of how over the top the voice acting was. Hearing Megatron constantly exclaiming a long drawn out "yeees" can get pretty ridiculous for example.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:50 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

I wasn't referring to the silly moments, I meant that a lot of the serious moments were kind of difficult to take seriously because of how over the top the voice acting was. Hearing Megatron constantly exclaiming a long drawn out "yeees" can get pretty ridiculous for example.
Megatron is supposed to be hammy, so I don't have a problem.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:45 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Dub haters can be much worse than the sub haters.
While I prefer subs most of the time, I can agree with you on that. How I hate the sub vs. dub wars. Purists like BioZero216 make it way more toxic that it needs to be.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:40 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
While I prefer subs most of the time, I can agree with you on that. How I hate the sub vs. dub wars. Purists like BioZero216 make it way more toxic that it needs to be.
Oh god, BioZero216 is FormidableWarrior levels of elitist asshole. He thinks it's his God-given right to put down "retarded Z dub fans" every single chance he gets.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Oh god, BioZero216 is FormidableWarrior levels of elitist asshole. He thinks it's his God-given right to put down "retarded Z dub fans" every single chance he gets.
Yeah, Bio is not very mature. It's funny how he thinks he's much better than dub haters, when he's just as worse. He should just take a chill pill and leave the internet for a while. Thing is, I doubt he'll do such a thing. I feel bad for his small group of friends who are also dub defenders who have to cope with him on Twitter, YouTube and BTVA.

Here's what he said about a dub hater in a video about a clip of the Prison School dub where one of the characters mentioned Gamergate:

"I hope he gets stabbed in his menstruating cunt"

For a guy who says that dub fans are mature, respectable and humble, he sure isn't being any of those things. What a damn hypocrite.

While I don't like the old Funimation Z dub, I'd never put down people for liking it. Really, it's better to be more mature and accept that there are people who like things that you don't. If people like the Funi, the Ocean, the Kai dub or the Japanese version, that's fine by me. There's no need to lash at people, but people just do it because they think they're better for liking something. Oh well.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:29 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:the Prison School dub where one of the characters mentioned Gamergate:
Wait, that was a thing? I thought it was a joke when the internet was talking about a dub line that made no sense.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Kanassa wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:the Prison School dub where one of the characters mentioned Gamergate:
Wait, that was a thing? I thought it was a joke when the internet was talking about a dub line that made no sense.
Indeed it is.

Guesswhoo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Guesswhoo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:44 am

Am I the only one to think that DB is not incosistent but have some debatable moment ? This fanbase (and some outsider) seem to call anything they don't like an incosistency.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:18 am

Guesswhoo wrote:Am I the only one to think that DB is not incosistent but have some debatable moment ? This fanbase (and some outsider) seem to call anything they don't like an incosistency.
Yes the fandom at times over analysis the show
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:38 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
Too bad its scenario was pretty bland in comparison.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Noah wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
Too bad its scenario was pretty bland in comparison.
Wait, which scenario was bland in comparison to which?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:45 pm

ABED wrote:Wait, which scenario was bland in comparison to which?
Planet Namek to the places Goku travelled in the RR arc.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Noah wrote:
Yeah namek is pretty bland compared to the variety in RR
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:39 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Noah wrote:
Yeah namek is pretty bland compared to the variety in RR
I'd actually say that Planet Namek was an incredibly interesting location. Most of its vibrant and gorgeous, and I love when we get to see its wildlife.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:40 pm

You guys seem to be talking about the location as opposed to the story. The RRA arc did give more variety (including the amusement park in the filler episode) of locals, but the adventure of looking for the DB's was exciting in the Freeza arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.