Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 pm

ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I could use a new Shonen to read after My Hero Academia really just burned me out with its relentless pacing.
Relentless pacing?
He's basically saying that the plot moves far too quick.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:48 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:It's probably going into my top three of the series alongside Return and Revenge :P
Wait, ToP 3 worse, right? I didn't saw anyone who really liked TLJ but the Rotten Tomatoes critics, also their audience score is low.
Last edited by Noah on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Noah wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:It's probably going into my top three of the series alongside Return and Revenge :P
Wait, ToP 3 worse, right? I didn't read from anyone who really liked TLJ but the Rotten Tomatoes critics and the Audience score is low.
It's a very good film.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:51 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:It's a very good film.
I like it, but it's not even close to my ToP 5
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I could use a new Shonen to read after My Hero Academia really just burned me out with its relentless pacing.
Relentless pacing?
He's basically saying that the plot moves far too quick.
I got that, I was asking for him to elaborate.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Noah wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:It's a very good film.
I like it, but it's not even close to my ToP 5
4 > 8 > 7 > 5 > 6 > 3 > 1 > 2. I think you cut 8 done by like 20 mins, it's number one.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:59 pm

ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:DB needs it's equivalent of The Last Jedi, a story that sees the buildings blocks and gives them a good kick to the nuts.
Don't take pointers from that crap. Kicking the building blocks over is meaningless if you have nothing to replace those blocks with. With Last Jedi the director seemed to make some plot points with no other thought given to them other than "It's 'surprising', so it'll be praised as something intelligent"
I feel the opposite. People built up a lot of expectations in their head of where the story was going and instead of going right because expectations and build up pointed right, they took a left. That doesn't make it the wrong direction. It's like when Trunks warns Goku about the Cyborgs and after the build up, we find out that the big bad is someone else entirely.
It's not that the story went left or right, it's that it went straight into a dead end. The 'surprise' doesn't add anything to the story, it's just a twist for the sake of a twist with no thought put into it.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Don't take pointers from that crap. Kicking the building blocks over is meaningless if you have nothing to replace those blocks with. With Last Jedi the director seemed to make some plot points with no other thought given to them other than "It's 'surprising', so it'll be praised as something intelligent"
I feel the opposite. People built up a lot of expectations in their head of where the story was going and instead of going right because expectations and build up pointed right, they took a left. That doesn't make it the wrong direction. It's like when Trunks warns Goku about the Cyborgs and after the build up, we find out that the big bad is someone else entirely.
It's not that the story went left or right, it's that it went straight into a dead end. The 'surprise' doesn't add anything to the story, it's just a twist for the sake of a twist with no thought put into it.
Rian Johnson doesn't come off as a writer to do something without any thought. Wait for the third film to get the full context. Opinions can change, especially when you know the full story. My opinions about DB change all the time. For instance, I used to not like the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. I thought it was boring.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:06 pm

ABED wrote: For instance, I used to not like the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. I thought it was boring.
It is.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:10 pm

ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote: I feel the opposite. People built up a lot of expectations in their head of where the story was going and instead of going right because expectations and build up pointed right, they took a left. That doesn't make it the wrong direction. It's like when Trunks warns Goku about the Cyborgs and after the build up, we find out that the big bad is someone else entirely.
Rian Johnson doesn't come off as a writer to do something without any thought. Wait for the third film to get the full context. Opinions can change, especially when you know the full story. My opinions about DB change all the time. For instance, I used to not like the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. I thought it was boring.
Next film has Abrams back in the chair, so... I'm not exactly going to be expecting anything but blindness.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:14 pm

ABED wrote:Granted, I'm not keen when the story switches main characters, but if DB did something this brazen and subverted expectations all over the place, I might be able to get on board with it.
Like RoF wasn't anything like that, right? :P
ABED wrote:It's like in Breaking Bad's final season:
[spoiler]When you think the confrontation between Walt and Hank will take place towards the end of the season and it takes place in the first episode. Clearly the writers knew what the audience expected and subverted it.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Honestly, I never though about the confrontation between Walt and Hank would be the main dish of the series finale, also it was in the first episode of the season second part, we had seven episodes before Hanks conventionally discovers about Heisenberg.[/spoiler]
Soppa Saia People wrote:4 > 8 > 7 > 5 > 6 > 3 > 1 > 2. I think you cut 8 done by like 20 mins, it's number one.
Wow, we really have different thoughts about it, for me is like: V > IV > VI > III > II > VIII > VII > I
Kanassa wrote:Next film has Abrams back in the chair, so... I'm not exactly going to be expecting anything but blindness.
Not that Lucas was a great writer either, but can't he direct/write any movie of this sequel trilogy?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:22 pm

[spoiler]Honestly, I never though about the confrontation between Walt and Hank would be the main dish of the series finale, also it was in the first episode of the season second part, we had seven episodes before Hanks conventionally discovers about Heisenberg.[/spoiler]
I didn't say the end of the season. I said "towards". And I'm aware of the technicality, but it is in fact a season by any reasonable definition. Not sure what you mean by "conventionally". Regardless of whether YOU thought so, I know that plenty of people were in fact surprised by when the confrontation occurred.
Like RoF wasn't anything like that, right?
How did RoF subvert expectations?

Lets take the non-DB stuff to PM. I know we all want to discuss it, but it feels very off topic.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:24 pm

Noah wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:4 > 8 > 7 > 5 > 6 > 3 > 1 > 2. I think you cut 8 done by like 20 mins, it's number one.
Wow, we really have different thoughts about it, for me is like: V > IV > VI > III > II > VIII > VII > I
Don't really see how any of the sequel trilogy is worse then the prequels, but uh, you do you.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Instead of making this specifically about Star Wars, I'll keep the statement general. Just because you can't figure out where the story could possibly go doesn't mean the writer screwed things up. And I like it when writers write themselves into a corner and have to find a way out. It makes for interesting and brave storytelling. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's usually worth it regardless.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Noah wrote:
ABED wrote:Granted, I'm not keen when the story switches main characters, but if DB did something this brazen and subverted expectations all over the place, I might be able to get on board with it.
Like RoF wasn't anything like that, right? :P
Freeza got brought back only to get treated like a tool bag is fresh? Please, that's what's always happened to him every time he's come back in the franchise. Now, if ToP characterized him like ToP did, THAT would've been doing something new with him.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:39 pm

ABED wrote:Instead of making this specifically about Star Wars, I'll keep the statement general. Just because you can't figure out where the story could possibly go doesn't mean the writer screwed things up. And I like it when writers write themselves into a corner and have to find a way out. It makes for interesting and brave storytelling. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's usually worth it regardless.
Straight facts. Gotta let the story writers do there thing

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Don't really see how any of the sequel trilogy is worse then the prequels, but uh, you do you.
Didn't like much that TFA was a rehashed ANH and Mary Sue Rey, TLJ is better because tries to be it's own thing, but fails at characters development and to bring any excitement to next movie. I swear to you after I watched TFA premiere I was really invested to know what would happen next, but after watching TLJ I was like:
"That's it? What now?".
I enjoyed ROTS a lot and was the most anticipated movie of the franchise and I can say I like AOTC better for pure nostalgia as I realize it's bad as TPM.
ABED wrote:I didn't say the end of the season. I said "towards". And I'm aware of the technicality, but it is in fact a season by any reasonable definition. Not sure what you mean by "conventionally". Regardless of whether YOU thought so, I know that plenty of people were in fact surprised by when the confrontation occurred.
You said their confrontation would be in the end of the season and I thought it wasn't the case. By "conventionally" I mean him discovering by merely taking a dump.
How did RoF subvert expectations?
Well, before the announcement that Freeza would return, people expected:

- A movie about the universes Beerus told Goku in the end of BoG
- Vegeta having more screentime than Goku (Toriyama said once it would not be a bad idea to have a movie with Vegeta being the main character or something like that)

After Freeza was announced to return as the main villain:

- A proper explanation and showing of how he got so strong, what was his training and his new transformation
- A better enlightenment of what is SSJ Blue than: "Saiyan with the power of a Super Saiyan God further transforms himself into a Super Saiyan"
- The wasted chance of Freeza interacting with Goten, Trunks and Boo
- 18 fighting along with the warriors
- True tension (Freeza was not a threat and Beerus was present in the battle)
- Vegeta being the one to finish Freeza this time
- Not a proper development of Freeza's character but instead having being defeated by his hubris once again
- Wasted chance of ending the movie with a cliffhanger instead of Whis Deus Ex Machina
- Goku and Vegeta sh*ting on their development as Whis stated they could defeat Freeza together, but both agree they would never do that anyway
ekrolo2 wrote:Freeza got brought back only to get treated like a tool bag is fresh? Please, that's what's always happened to him every time he's come back in the franchise. Now, if ToP characterized him like ToP did, THAT would've been doing something new with him.
And? Is that a reason to prevent them from doing differently with his character at that time? I guess you meant "If RoF characterized him like ToP did...",
Anyway, you gave a good example, they could have characterized him better before, but didn't.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Spider-Man wrote:
hunduel wrote:
Tian wrote:The only character I don't wanna see ever again after ToP ends...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
This is not an unpopular opinion...
Indeed this is not an unpopular opinion because she is hated in this place,facebook,twitter and especially in Youtube.
I would not give to much worry or thought on thoses sites Spider-Man my friend.

Those places have never been the best places to gain great opinions on any character or topic really. They have become sewage’s of negativity and dislikers with few exceptions, That’s why I would never take those sites opinions as serious as many think they should. There are good people on those sites, just to few but they’re good, but still too many negative people that block them out. In the end they are echo chambers of one sentence disliking.

If that is the best the Internet can throw dislike for My Girl Brianne/Ribrianne, Then it will have to do a little better. ;)

I have come to forums more to focus my efforts cause forums are thoughtful and deeper discussion even with people don’t like the character at least they put thought behind it.

Good debate is a good thing to have to help break the ice on opinions of characters and to help change a view on a character.

To show “Love” ;) for a character is much better in each fans unique way then spending time disliking a character. :)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:35 am

You said their confrontation would be in the end of the season and I thought it wasn't the case.
I wrote "towards", as in the last couple episodes.

None of the things you mentioned were subversions of expectations. Those just sound like things that you wanted to happen.
- Goku and Vegeta sh*ting on their development
When did they develop into a team?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 am

ABED wrote:None of the things you mentioned were subversions of expectations. Those just sound like things that you wanted to happen.
Nope and I invite you to read some posts of this old thread, then you might realize it's was not a particular thing of mine. RoF was underwhelming in the same aspect some people though TLJ was.
When did they develop into a team?
In the beginning of the movie Whis advices them of their flaws while fighting, this only comes back to bite Goku's ass in the battle with Golden Freeza.
Goku later says that if he and Vegeta fought together as Whis told them, there would be no issue and their characters realizing that would be a progression, but no we have them both agreeing they would never do that because Saiyan pride BS.
So the whole movie felt like a training, they never took it seriously as they should, there were no stakes as Whis helped them, so no lessons were learned.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs