Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gligarman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:20 pm

I just like the fact that Super as well as the previous two movies make little references to non-canon titles. Kale is simply a reference to Broly because he was so popular just like how Pilaf and co. turning into kids was a reference to DBGT.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Gligarman wrote:I just like the fact that Super as well as the previous two movies make little references to non-canon titles...
You know it's funny to think that considering Super is also non-canon.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 pm

The new Blueray release of DBZ is not as bad as what people say about it.
My English is poor .

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:29 pm

SSJ1 should have been the limit for the original Z series

SSJ2 should have been treated as a one time rage boost against cell

vegeta should not have achieved ssj until the Majin Vegeta arc.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:The new Blueray release of DBZ is not as bad as what people say about it.
There only bad when you compare them the superior limited and or super expensive releases we have had, and that's the part that makes me angry. :x

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:41 pm

I hate speculation now. Back when I first started getting involved in the internet DB fandom, speculation topics were usually fun. Now I just don’t give a shit. Everyone and their mother have speculated about Vegeta’s new form and what it could be. I honestly don’t care. If the show explains it, great. If it doesn’t, whatever. Recently I’ve been watching the Super without really thinking of the future or trying to guess what happens next. Of course I have my own idea of whats going to happen, but I’m not going to hold onto it and hope it comes true. At this point I just want to see the story unfold, and I’m sick and tired of seeing speculation on every little aspect of the series, specifically Super.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:02 pm

MajinMan wrote:I hate speculation now. Back when I first started getting involved in the internet DB fandom, speculation topics were usually fun. Now I just don’t give a shit. Everyone and their mother have speculated about Vegeta’s new form and what it could be. I honestly don’t care. If the show explains it, great. If it doesn’t, whatever. Recently I’ve been watching the Super without really thinking of the future or trying to guess what happens next. Of course I have my own idea of whats going to happen, but I’m not going to hold onto it and hope it comes true. At this point I just want to see the story unfold, and I’m sick and tired of seeing speculation on every little aspect of the series, specifically Super.
This is unpopular? :shock: I actually agree. :lol:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 pm

Exactly. After GT's end (1997) we didn't have much new content to speculated about it until Battle Of Gods (2013), so I guess pretty much everything from the series at that time has been speculated to death in these sixteen years. It's perfectly fine to be worn out about people theorizing every little thing of the actual series.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:45 am

I guess another unpopular opinion I have is that I actually really like Path to Power, The World's Strongest, and Wrath of the Dragon.

Apart from those three, I'm not a really big fan of the other DB/Z films.... which I would also assume is unpopular.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:49 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
MajinMan wrote:I hate speculation now. Back when I first started getting involved in the internet DB fandom, speculation topics were usually fun. Now I just don’t give a shit. Everyone and their mother have speculated about Vegeta’s new form and what it could be. I honestly don’t care. If the show explains it, great. If it doesn’t, whatever. Recently I’ve been watching the Super without really thinking of the future or trying to guess what happens next. Of course I have my own idea of whats going to happen, but I’m not going to hold onto it and hope it comes true. At this point I just want to see the story unfold, and I’m sick and tired of seeing speculation on every little aspect of the series, specifically Super.
This is unpopular? :shock: I actually agree. :lol:
I’d say in this day and age it is unpopular. Everyone loves theorizing and discussing topics that will probably be answered when the next episode airs. And it usually leads to some people getting mad that their “well thought out”predictions didn’t come true, eventually leading to more toxicity and fighting in the fandom.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:55 am

Agreed about speculation. I've grown tired of it. Fancasting and theorizing sets up expectations and instead of judging things on their own merits, they get judged against what WE think should have happened.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but...

No power-up will ever top Goku's first Super Saiyan transformation and the subsequent Freeza fight.

Not even Super Saiyan 3. (tbh I thought this power-up was pretty meh and I don't like the design)
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:54 pm

GamerSkull wrote:I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but...

No power-up will ever top Goku's first Super Saiyan transformation and the subsequent Freeza fight.

Not even Super Saiyan 3. (tbh I thought this power-up was pretty meh and I don't like the design)
Same here, I honestly would have gotten rid of it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 pm

GamerSkull wrote:No power-up will ever top Goku's first Super Saiyan transformation and the subsequent Freeza fight.
I think Gohan Super Saiyan 2 transformation was epic at the same level.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Noah wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:No power-up will ever top Goku's first Super Saiyan transformation and the subsequent Freeza fight.
The music helps a lot, but by virtue of it being the second transformation makes it less epic.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 pm

Noah wrote:
I would agree that the transformation was pretty cool.... but in my opinion, it's still not as epic as the first one done by Goku.

To be honest, as I mentioned above... I feel there should have only been one transformation and Goku should have been the only one to get it.

Or an alternative would be: Goku and Gohan being the only two people in the series to achieve that state... with only Gohan being able to go Super Saiyan 2 due to his "hidden potential."

I just felt that it became less special almost immediately when multiple people could do it in the following arc.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:45 pm

To put this as simply as I can...

Everybody else: They should put Kefla in Dragonball FighterZ
Me: They already did; we just call him "Gotenks"
Don't use Formula 1 Race-cars to chase Deadly Androids

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:37 pm

I like both the Funimation Dub (with Faulconer music and the original music) and the original Japanese Dub.

Although... the original japanese will always be superior to me.

EDIT: I do not like Christopher Sabat's Yamcha or Vegeta though. His Piccolo is fine.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:09 am

ProtoTrunks76 wrote:Everybody else: They should put Kefla in Dragonball FighterZ
So you think Kefla is a female Gotenks. Interesting, I think the same way.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:27 am

Noah wrote:
ProtoTrunks76 wrote:Everybody else: They should put Kefla in Dragonball FighterZ
So you think Kefla is a female Gotenks. Interesting, I think the same way.
If anything Gotenks is proto Ribrianne,a long stretched out joke that got way too much screentime for how little to no impact he had on the narrative of the story that gave us the illusion he would do something even slightly important since so much screentime is devoted to him.
At the least Ribrianne got some kind of character development,Gotenks was just glorified filler.