Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ProtoTrunks76

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:57 am

Noah wrote:
ProtoTrunks76 wrote:Everybody else: They should put Kefla in Dragonball FighterZ
Me: They already did; we just call him "Gotenks"
So you think Kefla is a female Gotenks. Interesting, I think the same way.
I think I should explain why, still wanting to keep it short and sweet:
IMO, Kefla is just Gotenks... but without any of the fun, charm, or uniqueness of Gotenks.

I find that because Goten and Trunks are kids, (and that it's mostly Trunks' influence of wanting to be all dramatic) it's a bit easier to swallow for me. Not to mention that Gohan was also getting his bullshit power up again around the same time. Kefla, on the other hand, had less of an excuse for screwing around as much as she did. We get it, they're Saiyans!

Also, Gotenks had some unusual but still effective techniques and attacks unique to him, meaning that there wasn't much in the ways of expectations of how the fight can turn out. Not so much with Kefla, where she just combines two already generic attacks into one generic attack (no matter how visually pleasing it may be), and when they fail, it's usually pretty damn obvious that they'd lose (reasons like that are why several people I was with when watching the episode were basically predicting that she'd be knocked off... I was one of them... and we were right)

Also, just because it's been on the burner for a long time at this point, Fused/Merged Zamasu annoyed me too (even moreso than Gotenks ever could) for almost the same exact reason. Again, Zamasu has little to no excuse for just screwing around with the heroes. I guess it's a little bit more bearable to me because he fused with Goku Black (who just wants to improve his own combat skills, like Goku himself)... until he proceeds to cry like a bitch when he's backed up into a corner, instead of being what he's advertised as and getting right to just eliminating them...
Actually, he just might be different from Cell and Freeza; they actually have a goddamn backbone!
Don't use Formula 1 Race-cars to chase Deadly Androids

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:07 pm

I want to genuinely see how things could have been if Goku and Vegeta were forced to stay as Vegitto for the rest of their lives.

How would their friends react? Would their wives share? And what would that mean going forward story-wise?
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:20 pm

GamerSkull wrote:I want to genuinely see how things could have been if Goku and Vegeta were forced to stay as Vegetto for the rest of their lives. How would their friends react? Would their wives share? And what would that mean going forward story-wise?
Wrong thread, mate
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:14 am

Noah wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:I want to genuinely see how things could have been if Goku and Vegeta were forced to stay as Vegetto for the rest of their lives. How would their friends react? Would their wives share? And what would that mean going forward story-wise?
Wrong thread, mate
Well, thanks and fair enough I guess.

I just figured that seeing Vegitto truly be permanent was an unpopular opinion. Guess I should have worded things differently. :lol:

I'll take any future discussions for this there. :thumbup:
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:51 pm

GamerSkull wrote:I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but...

No power-up will ever top Goku's first Super Saiyan transformation and the subsequent Freeza fight.
I agree. The build up, his pupils disappearing, the veins coming out of his face, the close up shot, it was great.

Trunks first Super Saiyan transformation ran it close though. You could feel his pain.

I also loved Piccolo's power up versus 17, which led to an elbow to 17's back and a barrage of punches and kicks to his body.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:56 am

Scott wrote:

No power-up will ever top Goku's first Super Saiyan transformation and the subsequent Freeza fight.
I agree. The build up, his pupils disappearing, the veins coming out of his face, the close up shot, it was great.

Trunks first Super Saiyan transformation ran it close though. You could feel his pain.

I also loved Piccolo's power up versus 17, which led to an elbow to 17's back and a barrage of punches and kicks to his body.
Yeah, it was pretty cool "OH SHIT!!" moment. But after that one especially, power-ups seem to not be as amazing anymore and somewhat lackluster... since most of them seem to happen off-screen and are just shown off in a reveal.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:57 pm

GamerSkull wrote:I want to genuinely see how things could have been if Goku and Vegeta were forced to stay as Vegitto for the rest of their lives.

How would their friends react? Would their wives share? And what would that mean going forward story-wise?
I imagine Vegito would have some Dr. Manhattan from "Watchmen"-like qualities...
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:46 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
Scott wrote:

Yeah, it was pretty cool "OH SHIT!!" moment. But after that one especially, power-ups seem to not be as amazing anymore and somewhat lackluster... since most of them seem to happen off-screen and are just shown off in a reveal.
Sometimes a reveal can work well, like Vegeta.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:51 pm

ProtoTrunks76 wrote:I think I should explain why, still wanting to keep it short and sweet:
IMO, Kefla is just Gotenks... but without any of the fun, charm, or uniqueness of Gotenks.

I find that because Goten and Trunks are kids, (and that it's mostly Trunks' influence of wanting to be all dramatic) it's a bit easier to swallow for me. Not to mention that Gohan was also getting his bullshit power up again around the same time. Kefla, on the other hand, had less of an excuse for screwing around as much as she did. We get it, they're Saiyans!

Also, Gotenks had some unusual but still effective techniques and attacks unique to him, meaning that there wasn't much in the ways of expectations of how the fight can turn out. Not so much with Kefla, where she just combines two already generic attacks into one generic attack (no matter how visually pleasing it may be), and when they fail, it's usually pretty damn obvious that they'd lose (reasons like that are why several people I was with when watching the episode were basically predicting that she'd be knocked off... I was one of them... and we were right)!
Gotenks and Kefla both have a sort of personality problem for me since they don't feel like two people combined so much as Trunks & Caulifla on crack. Shouldn't Kale dial back Caulifla's arrogance and not boost it up by a factor of twenty? Gotenks just feels like Trunks also taken up a dozen notches.

One could say this is just the dominant fusee taking precidents but the writing doesn't so much as give one fusee the edge as they take the dominant fusee and escalate aaallll of their personality traits to new extremes when the opposite should happen.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:55 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Gotenks and Kefla both have a sort of personality problem for me since they don't feel like two people combined so much as Trunks & Caulifla on crack. Shouldn't Kale dial back Caulifla's arrogance and not boost it up by a factor of twenty? Gotenks just feels like Trunks also taken up a dozen notches.

One could say this is just the dominant fusee taking precidents but the writing doesn't so much as give one fusee the edge as they take the dominant fusee and escalate aaallll of their personality traits to new extremes when the opposite should happen.
While I agree, I think Gotenks still works because Goten and Trunks were both similar enough where Gotenks could be seen as an extension of the two. Goten was just as irresponsible as Trunks and also fairly arrogant (see his training with Gohan and his fight with Trunks); he certainly was no kid Goku despite the look. So, while Goten usually just followed Trunks around, they both shared the same kind of traits that Gotenks takes up to 11.

Kale and Caulifla are such drastically different that you really can't interpret Kefla as anything other than Caulifla with massive power.

Vegetto is a fusion done right, though. I wasn't confident in making that statement before, considering that he was faking his personality in Z to bait Super Boo. But now that we see that his personality is basically the same even when he's under pressure (in the Super anime), I have to say he mixes Goku and Vegeta's good traits well with little of the bad ones.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Gotenks and Kefla both have a sort of personality problem for me since they don't feel like two people combined so much as Trunks & Caulifla on crack. Shouldn't Kale dial back Caulifla's arrogance and not boost it up by a factor of twenty? Gotenks just feels like Trunks also taken up a dozen notches.

While I agree, I think Gotenks still works because Goten and Trunks were both similar enough where Gotenks could be seen as an extension of the two. Goten was just as irresponsible as Trunks and also fairly arrogant (see his training with Gohan and his fight with Trunks); he certainly was no kid Goku despite the look. So, while Goten usually just followed Trunks around, they both shared the same kind of traits that Gotenks takes up to 11.

Kale and Caulifla are such drastically different that you really can't interpret Kefla as anything other than Caulifla with massive power.

Vegetto is a fusion done right, though. I wasn't confident in making that statement before, considering that he was faking his personality in Z to bait Super Boo. But now that we see that his personality is basically the same even when he's under pressure (in the Super anime), I have to say he mixes Goku and Vegeta's good traits well with little of the bad ones.
Hrm, gonna have to read the Boo arc again, I could've sworn Goten had/has no personality... But yeah, Kefla really is just Caulifla on crack when she should probably be more mellowed out. I will give Gotenks a MASSIVE edge over most DB characters just because he's got a genuinely unique set of attacks that aren't just a loop of punches & ki blasts interspersed with big fuck of lasers.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:06 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Hrm, gonna have to read the Boo arc again, I could've sworn Goten had/has no personality... But yeah, Kefla really is just Caulifla on crack when she should probably be more mellowed out. I will give Gotenks a MASSIVE edge over most DB characters just because he's got a genuinely unique set of attacks that aren't just a loop of punches & ki blasts interspersed with big fuck of lasers.
I could be misremembering, but I definitely recall Goten being a spoiled brat.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:15 pm

Doctor. wrote: I could be misremembering, but I definitely recall Goten being a spoiled brat.
I don't see that at all as a Goten fan.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:36 pm

An unpopular opinion: Shin's introduction was one of the greatest in the series.

Too bad he becomes a joke.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:14 pm

Doctor. wrote:An unpopular opinion: Shin's introduction was one of the greatest in the series.

Once again proving that in DB, if you're a god, chances are you're useless or a massive douchebag.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:33 pm

ABED wrote:Sometimes a reveal can work well, like Vegeta.
But the anime flashback was quite good too.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:50 pm

ABED wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:
Scott wrote:

Sometimes a reveal can work well, like Vegeta.
Eh, I didn't particularly like his reveal. Although... I'm probably in the minority on that.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: I could be misremembering, but I definitely recall Goten being a spoiled brat.
I don't see that at all as a Goten fan.
Goten's just very... well, perhaps too upbeat but I don't really see that as a bad thing.

In fact, I think Kid Trunks is more of a spoiled brat.

Dunno why, but I remember the instance of him beating Goten in the tournament and then asking Goten for forgiveness by letting him pick a toy that he owns. For some reason, that interaction always sticks out to me.

Neither of them brought to the table as much as they could have, imo anyway.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:10 pm

What's wrong with the reveal?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:59 pm

Doctor. wrote:An unpopular opinion: Shin's introduction was one of the greatest in the series.

I don't think thats an unpopular opinion,people always say how much of an ominous and badass introduction he had........ and then turns out he was a joke.
The again i think its mostly Toriyama's retcons,Shin being so calm when he sees ssj2 Gohan in the tournament and then wetting his pants when he sees the power base Vegeta had,he forgot how strong the saiyans on the way to Babidi's ship lol.
On top of being a screw up and wrong almost always,to the point even today when Shin states something the fandom goes 'What does he know'.