Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
DestructoDisc wrote:I find GT Goten very attractive and Trunks with long hair unattractive.
You find anime dudes attractive?
*shrugs* This forum does have a "Sexy Fan Art" thread containing nearly 300 pages' worth of posts. Is this really that surprising?
Point taken. I concede. I really shouldn't be surprised.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:06 am

PFM18 wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
*shrugs* This forum does have a "Sexy Fan Art" thread containing nearly 300 pages' worth of posts. Is this really that surprising?
I don't know how you were surprised by this in the first place. Character designs are made to set off some part of our brain that's meant to feel something about the way said character looks. If we can look at a character and describe him/her as creepy, bad ass, ugly, dopey, fragile, stoic, crazy, among many other things, how does someone describing them as attractive or sexy surprise you when character designs can already reach a large amount of emotions and feelings?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:24 am

Omniboy wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:
I don't know how you were surprised by this in the first place. Character designs are made to set off some part of our brain that's meant to feel something about the way said character looks. If we can look at a character and describe him/her as creepy, bad ass, ugly, dopey, fragile, stoic, crazy, among many other things, how does someone describing them as attractive or sexy surprise you when character designs can already reach a large amount of emotions and feelings?
Because "attraction" implies an interest usually associated with physical intimacy in some capacity and these are cartoon characters. Again, feeling an attraction towards cartoon characters is strange to say the least. It is entirely different from saying they look cool,creepy, stoic or crazy.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:55 am

PFM18 wrote:
Because "attraction" implies an interest usually associated with physical intimacy in some capacity and these are cartoon characters. Again, feeling an attraction towards cartoon characters is strange to say the least. It is entirely different from saying they look cool,creepy, stoic or crazy.

But cartoon characters are kept in mind to retain and keep physical traits that real people have. When cartoon characters are called "creepy" it is because they contain traits that real people , who look creepy, have but exaggerated. When a character is described as dopey, it is because they retain physical traits that real people, who look dopey, have but exaggerated. When a character is described as frail, it is because they retain physical traits of real people who look frail. When a character is described as attractive, it is because they retain physical traits that real attractive people have, but exaggerated. The fact the characters are fictional doesn't make a difference considering that it all has everything to do with the brain, and cartoon characters keeping real traits from real people... depending on the art style. Art style does vary in how much they look in some capacity like real people.

If a girl likes slim fit pretty boys, she may watch the anime called "Free" because the characters " in some capacity" retain traits that real pretty boys have.

Plus being described as attractive doesn't that you want you want to have sex with the character.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 am

Besides if intimacy and physical contact was needed we wouldnt have celebrity crushes. Sure, I dont but they are also a thing.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:39 am

Ripper 30 wrote: yea that sounds the most overused argument to defend Bad practices like DBZ's Funimation Dub.
You find every chance you get to bash the old dub like a broken record.

I'm not defending it. I just dont see the point in saying "why doesnt this character in the dub sound like the original voice" because they dont have to.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:19 am

PFM18 wrote:
Omniboy wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Attraction can come from pure visual appeal too. A lot, if not most, character designs in any media are based on conventionally attractive features, as such, it's quite possible feel attracted towards 2D characters. No shame in it.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:34 pm

PFM18 wrote:
DestructoDisc wrote:I find GT Goten very attractive and Trunks with long hair unattractive.
I find Equestria Girls (human versions of ponies) characters to be attractive (let my avatar be an example).
Honestly, you don't have to want to f*** non-existing 2D cartoon character to say it's attractive.
Human senses are good enough to tell you if cartoon character is meant to be pretty or ugly and you can more or less imagine how such character could look like in real life and know if it would be attractive to you or not. That also includes outfits. You can transfer your taste in body shapes, hairstyles, personalities and outfits into virtual world. You can draw a character that is visually appealing to you.

I mean we can all say Android 18 would be sex bomb in real life. Right?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

KeKeKe

Post by KeKeKe » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Well, in terms of unpopular opinions, what can I say? Right now, I'll just name three things (but the list could be longer) I like/love in Dragon Ball that fans usually dislike/hate:

1. Dragon Ball GT (but I could give the Black Star Dragon Balls Saga and the Super Android 17 Saga as the best examples);
2. The Garlic Jr. Saga;
3. Both Gods of Destruction Rumshi and Quitela, as well as their universes' (10 and 4) teams for the Tournament of Power.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I'm not defending it. I just dont see the point in saying "why doesnt this character in the dub sound like the original voice" because they dont have to.
Of course they don't have to sound like the original actor. But what if I do want some of them to sound similar. You can't just say "just watch the Japanese/original version" because that's not what I want.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:01 am

Let me rank the fusions in the series. I wonder which ones will be unpopular.

A tier: Merged Zamasu (an elevation of the fused characters and the culmination of a character arc)
B tier: Vegetto, Kefla (entertaining, can't go wrong, but best in short bursts and you wouldn't take them over their fusees)
C tier: Gogeta (cool, but shallow as all get-out)
D tier: Kibito-Kai (who are you again?)
F tier: Gotenks (so bad it permanently tarnishes the fusees; got mum killed)

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:47 pm

I find short hair Videl very atractive, but her Z not Super self, guess I have a thing for tomgirls lol
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:28 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
I find short hair Videl very atractive, but her Z not Super self, guess I have a thing for tomgirls lol
Modern Videl yeah deffo not they ruined her but I flip flp between pig tails and short hair Videl.

Speaking of the devil (hehe) I think Videl as a character was ruined long before modern DB, she was so awesome then got beat to shit and then after became a generic love interest for Gohan. So modern DB housewife seems natural...

It seems besides Bulma Toriyama doesn't know what to do with female characters.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:37 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
I agree. I think Videl looks okay in Super but her character is so bland, that I really don't feel anything about her Super version. She was much better in Z both in terms of character and looks. Even GT Videl was more interesting than Super Videl.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:39 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: I mean we can all say Android 18 would be sex bomb in real life. Right?
No, that sex bomb was deactivated in vol. 35 through Shenlong.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:54 pm

I've never been a big fan of Trunks as a character. He's not a bad character, but I never really understood what all the fuss is about.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:35 am

WittyUsername wrote:I've never been a big fan of Trunks as a character. He's not a bad character, but I never really understood what all the fuss is about.
It was his entrance that did it, i don't think there was a better reveal throughout the whole series.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:55 am

My unpopular opinion is that the God's didn't add something better to Dragon Ball, they actually ruined it. I mean, what is the point in anything anymore if people like Beerus can just turn up and destroy everything without a second thought? Or if Whis doesn't like the way certain things has turned out so just rewinds time? It's crap, it makes characters like Frieza pointless. Why bother having characters who are looking for galactic domination when you have these gods that can just wipe it out in an instant?

It takes control away from the heroes and villains, their choices don't really matter.

Monna

Post by Monna » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:56 pm

ToP (anime version only) is the best arc in the entire series.

Monna has the best character design out of all DB characters.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:33 am

Monna wrote:ToP (anime version only) is the best arc in the entire series.
It isn't that unpopular opinion, I saw plenty of people saying that although obviously arc is overhyped right now because it's new. I mean when Future Trunks saga was airing everyone was putting it on first place, but now it isn't even on 2nd place, sometimes not even in top 5.

More unpopular opinion is that ToP is the worst arc in entire series (that's what i actually think), although it isn't that much unpopular either. It's a bit controversial arc and it's either loved or hated from what i saw.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta