Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarCas92
Regular

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MarCas92 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:47 am

When FUNImation decided to Dub DBKai. They should've recast EVERYONE. The talent gap between the new actors and the ones they kept is so apparent. Even today with Super it's the same. All the new talent they acquire to voice new characters deliver MUCH better performances than the "veterans". But you know "nostalgia" :problem:
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:53 am

MarCas92 wrote:When FUNImation decided to Dub DBKai. They should've recast EVERYONE. The talent gap between the new actors and the ones they kept is so apparent. Even today with Super it's the same. All the new talent they acquire to voice new characters deliver MUCH better performances than the "veterans". But you know "nostalgia" :problem:
I generally disagree with that. Sabat and Schemmel were some of the highlights of Kai.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:19 pm

MarCas92 wrote:When FUNImation decided to Dub DBKai. They should've recast EVERYONE. The talent gap between the new actors and the ones they kept is so apparent. Even today with Super it's the same. All the new talent they acquire to voice new characters deliver MUCH better performances than the "veterans". But you know "nostalgia" :problem:
Does that include #17, Dr. Gero, Cell, Mr. Satan, older Gohan, Babidi, and Dabura?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:17 pm

I've learned one thing throughout the years: people hate change. As someone who doesn't give a fuck about the Funimation cast nowadays, I sure wouldn't want any of them replaced because whether you like it or not, the Funimation cast IS the cast to many people and replacing them would make them angry and I hate pissing people off.

So, how about letting people be happy with the cast they have, huh?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:47 pm

That this, sadly, remains an unpopular opinion is mind-boggling.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:22 pm

Brodes wrote:
That this, sadly, remains an unpopular opinion is mind-boggling.
Maybe I’m just an idiot, but I don’t really see any real difference between the performances from people like Monica Rial and Colleen Clinkenbeard compared to Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat and Sonny Strait. They sound like they’re more or less on the same level to me.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:49 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Maybe I’m just an idiot, but I don’t really see any real difference between the performances from people like Monica Rial and Colleen Clinkenbeard compared to Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat and Sonny Strait. They sound like they’re more or less on the same level to me.
Well obviously its all "opinion" and you're mileage may vary, but I personally do see a huge gap between say Nadolny and Clinkenbeard as well as between Chris Ayres/Jason Douglas/Todd Haberkorn and Sean Schemmel/Chris Sabat and Sonny Strait.

Let me make 1 thing perfectly clear, I will NEVER discredit the HUGE improvements all the voice actors made over all these years. Early 00's Schemmel is nothing like he is today. Neither is Sabat. I just feel that an entirely new cast would've been so much impactful and interesting. But because of people blinded by nostalgia, no matter how good the new cast was they would get an INCREDIBLE amount of undeserved hate. Im not a huge fan of most the American fasebase in case you couldn't tell :wink:
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:19 pm

MarCas92 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Well obviously its all "opinion" and you're mileage may vary, but I personally do see a huge gap between say Nadolny and Clinkenbeard as well as between Chris Ayres/Jason Douglas/Todd Haberkorn and Sean Schemmel/Chris Sabat and Sonny Strait.

Let me make 1 thing perfectly clear, I will NEVER discredit the HUGE improvements all the voice actors made over all these years. Early 00's Schemmel is nothing like he is today. Neither is Sabat. I just feel that an entirely new cast would've been so much impactful and interesting. But because of people blinded by nostalgia, no matter how good the new cast was they would get an INCREDIBLE amount of undeserved hate. Im not a huge fan of most the American fasebase in case you couldn't tell :wink:
I’m pretty sure Chris Sabat and Sonny Strait staying on has less to do with nostalgia and more to do with the fact that they’re regulars at FUNimation. Why go through the trouble of recasting their characters when the current voices for the characters are readily available?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:07 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I would've liked a mechanic for the ToP where everyone is on equal power levels.
You mean something like the waves on the FighterZ storyline? It could be a good idea, though I don't imagine how would work in DB nowadays who always need to have an antagonist to be the greatest thing ever to be surpassed for the protagonist new transformation.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:59 pm

I prefer the music that was used in Kai for when Gohan went Super Saiyan 2 for the first time over Spirit vs. Spirit. I feel that ominous music fits that scene better.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:01 pm

Kikuchi or Yamamoto?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:35 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Kikuchi or Yamamoto?
Kikuchi.

USSJ Roshi

Post by USSJ Roshi » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Does anyone have any particularly unpopular opinions about Dragon Ball? I'll start off.

I actually liked DBZ Movie #11, which seems to be looked down upon unfavourably as the worst DBZ movie. Out of the 13 DBZ movies, it's my fifth favourite. Despite the fact that people dislike it for bringing back Broli yet again for a third movie appearance, Bio-Broli didn't appear to have any semblance of the previous Legendary Super Saiyan, so the only relation that you could argue between the two characters was the name.

It did have quite a B-movie plot, but I like seeing stuff like that intertwined with the DB world, giving it new twists from the characters and techniques (like how Trunks' story in the Cell arc was practically a Terminator rip-off, but took it further by adding a special DB touch, including the Androids and Cell). And at least the admittedly disappointing finale was better than yet another Genki-Dama (seriously, three movies used that finisher, and I'm not even counting #7) or the Toei Punch.

Furthermore, there was no Gokuu, Gohan, Vegeta or Piccolo here; it gave the underdogs, Goten, Gohan, Kuririn, #18 and Mr. Satan the spotlight for once. I also liked the simplistic yet somewhat amusing designs of the Bio-Warriors.
The animation was some of the best they had ever done. It's just a shame that the fight scenes were so short. It's a good movie to watch at low volume, but not one to turn up and annoying your neighbours. My neighbours favorite song is We Gotta Power! and Cha-La-Head-Cha-La! Also the little jingle that plays during the ad break, where Gohan runs up to Goku. Ahhh! Magical :clap:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:54 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Kikuchi or Yamamoto?
Kikuchi.
Kikuchi for me too, he's the John Williams of Dragon Ball to me (I'll never be tired of repeating that) and I would love if he continued on the series past Z until nowadays, but Tokunaga in did a good job on GT score, Yamamoto... Well, I could compliment him, but in the end he's just a plagiarist and I've grown to appreciate Sumitomo work on the current series.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:44 pm

So I’ve already posted here but surprisingl most of my opinions were fairl pelted. But here’s a new one; Gotenks has absolutely become my favorite character in Dragon Ball, only rivaled by Krillin but winning by a slight margin because of his design. Gotenks is the best fusion and one of the best characters ever.
My immortal Phoenix died of food poisoning

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8udQV ... 4GFPrFEPzg
Twitter https://twitter.com/SmugStick

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:31 pm

- The attempts to fit Beerus into past events end up shrinking the universe rather than expanding it, and are one of the most frustrating and annoying aspects of his character.

- Certain human characters fading into the background during the Z material wasn't a bad thing. Several of them (looking at you, Launch) had exhausted their potential, while others were outclassed by newer additions to the cast - not in raw power, but in personality and in potential material.

- The pre-Broly material in Second Coming is extremely entertaining, capturing an old-school Dragon Ball feel while having a fresh dynamic thanks to its using the characters of Goten, Trunks, and Videl. That whole sequence shows one of the biggest sources of missed potential in the Buu Saga.

- Videl could and should have kept up a prominent role in the Buu Saga.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:46 pm

I agree with much of what you said though I don't know what more Videl could've contributed.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:31 pm

ABED wrote:I agree with much of what you said though I don't know what more Videl could've contributed.
She acts as a good catalyst and a way to re-explore old concepts and the new status quo earlier in the arc; that wasn't as necessary later on, but having another (fairly) level-headed voice, and continuing the idea of the next generation stepping up, argue for keeping her around.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:59 pm

zDBZ wrote:
ABED wrote:I agree with much of what you said though I don't know what more Videl could've contributed.
She acts as a good catalyst and a way to re-explore old concepts and the new status quo earlier in the arc; that wasn't as necessary later on, but having another (fairly) level-headed voice, and continuing the idea of the next generation stepping up, argue for keeping her around.
1 - It's Goku's story, 2 - I'm not fond of the next generation taking over, 3 - She's so far behind the heroes in terms of knowledge and skill, that I don't see what she can contribute to the plot, and 4 - You're being very vague. Do have any specific ideas of how she can contribute?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:48 pm

ABED wrote:
zDBZ wrote:
1 - It's Goku's story, 2 - I'm not fond of the next generation taking over, 3 - She's so far behind the heroes in terms of knowledge and skill, that I don't see what she can contribute to the plot, and 4 - You're being very vague. Do have any specific ideas of how she can contribute?
1. I'm someone who thinks Toriyama should've stuck to his plan to leave Gohan the hero after Cell.
2. I am :P
3. Fair enough - but on paper, her dad has the same problems. And Videl is a better martial artist than he is, learns ki control, and has a lot of curiosity, not just about Gohan, but the world he comes from.
4. Well, looking at other next-gen members - Goten and Trunks (mostly when fused as Gotenks) come up with a lot of unusual techniques. If Videl can't reasonably gain enough power to be a combatant, maybe she, as a newcomer to ki, can come up with a technique that isn't especially powerful, but proves useful.