Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gligarman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:42 pm

Well to be fair, 90% of all couples in Toriyama's work are the result of editor suggestions.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:27 pm

How do you know that?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:40 pm

I wish the Saiyan tails would grow back regardless of how many times it was chopped off or how high their power level was.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:29 pm

Hulk10 wrote:I wish the Saiyan tails would grow back regardless of how many times it was chopped off or how high their power level was.
How high does a Saiyan's power level need to be for their tales to stop growing back?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:26 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:I wish the Saiyan tails would grow back regardless of how many times it was chopped off or how high their power level was.
How high does a Saiyan's power level need to be for their tales to stop growing back?
Don't know. Wish I did though.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Vegeta’s tail got removed and never came back so I would guess 18,000 maybe?

Speaking of do we have an explanation for baby Trunks lack of a tail in the Android/Cell saga other than Toriyama was long past the Journey to the West motif?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:31 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Vegeta’s tail got removed and never came back so I would guess 18,000 maybe?

Speaking of do we have an explanation for baby Trunks lack of a tail in the Android/Cell saga other than Toriyama was long past the Journey to the West motif?
Trunks and Goten were born without tails.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:31 pm

The only character who's character/characterization was handled poorly in DBS(the anime version) is Videl. Everyone else, at the absolute worst, is written "fine" at the absolute worst, and incredibly at the best.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:14 am

PFM18 wrote:The only character who's character/characterization was handled poorly in DBS (the anime version) is Videl. Everyone else, at the absolute worst, is written "fine" at the absolute worst, and incredibly at the best.
I don't agree. You can argue Videl didn't get a lot to do, which is a common criticism amongst all of the secondary cast, but I felt she was handled perfectly well for what little she was given.

Now who was hard done in the anime was Goku. They basically only have 2 modes for him; "Comic relief idiot whose mental capacity is barely more than a toddler that feels like they're taking influence from DBZ Abridged" & "Personality from most of DBZ, where he actually cares, is serious, & is normal Goku." Then they sometimes flip-flop during the more serious moments of the arcs & is leads to a serious case of mood whiplash. I don't think Goku's been done right since Battle of Gods. Broly might change that, but I haven't seen it yet.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:46 pm

I'm not a fan of the trend for new Mugen dragon Ball characters being in a small "JUS" (Jump ultimate Superstars? Presumably an old game?) Sprite style. I think this is unpopular because when I try to look up new dragon Ball super Mugen characters/games, most new ones are like this.

I prefer the taller, more detailed SNES style sprites that the older Mugen characters have.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:38 pm

saiyanhajime wrote:Part of what makes their relationship interesting and popular is that their "canon" interactions are utterly baffling for a long time. How the hell did they get together??? A question a million fanfics try to answer.
I had no problems with VegeBul in Z, but in Super their relationship is kinda of embarassing, I would expect a more GT aproach, where Vegeta is self centered and doesn't seems to be bothered about her showing affection towards him.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Seems to me that in Super Vegeta and Bulma had a fairly sweet and relatable relationship.

I also feel that Chi Chi and Goku have a similarly sweet relationship.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:55 pm

DBS completely wasted and ruined Gogeta.

Yes, he fought more than in DBZ&GT combined, but somehow i don't remember anything but Stardust Breaker that even got ruined and was unimpressive. He was simply boring. Honestly the fight before fusion (Goku/Vegeta vs Broly) was much more memorable to me than anything Gogeta has done in movie.

Other thing and the worst one is a fact, that Gogeta wanted to kill GOOD person. He would actually do it if Shenron didn't save Broly. Even Vegeta's part of fusion wouldn't suggest such retarded thing at this point.

Also, what's with this tan? Goku and Vegeta are PALE in this movie. Not to mention that his failed fusions seemed to not have this tan although i'm not sure on this one.

I always prefered Gogeta over Vegito, but in this one case DBS Vegito was MUCH better than DBS Gogeta.

To me:
DBZ/GT Gogeta > DBZ/S Vegito >>> DBS Gogeta
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:14 pm

Hulk10 wrote:.

Goku seems to barely register that Chi Chi is his wife. Chi Chi nags at Goku for being an idiot and we’re suppose to be against her for not wanting her first-born to be in mortal peril?

I guess I’m just curious what is sweet about their relationship

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:

Goku seems to barely register that Chi Chi is his wife. Chi Chi nags at Goku for being an idiot and we’re suppose to be against her for not wanting her first-born to be in mortal peril?

They had some sweet moments in DBZ.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:

And it all happened because Goku thought marriage was some kind of food in all his innocent kid naivety and didn't grasp what then little Chi Chi was saying. He promised to something he literally knew absolutely nothing about, and frankly it's no wonder why he was completely confused when again they met during their match at the 23rd Budokai. So it simply boiled down to him agreeing to marry her without actually feeling a passionate love towards her, and that was before we find out that he is in fact an alien who came from a planet of barbaric warriors as a small child and forgot his purpose because of the head injury he incurred from his near death experience.

Their relationship is about as far from a husband and wife relationship as you could possibly get, i mean true we see at times that he feels something toward her to some extent and they have tender moments here and there but it clearly isn't a deep rooted marital love that most spouses mutually feel toward each other.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Shad73
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shad73 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:21 am

I prefer GT Vegeta to DB Super Vegeta.
Seeing the world as neutral is a gift; then you see the most beauty.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:45 am

Shad73 wrote:I prefer GT Vegeta to DB Super Vegeta.
I don't think it's unpopular at all if we talk about Vegeta's personality and development. Also, many prefer GT's design since it was fresh (except mustache) and he was still muscled in place of skinny DBS Vegeta wearing armor from Cell saga 24/7. DBS Vegeta had more screentime tho.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:06 pm

I don’t know. From what I’ve seen Vegeta’s character in Super feels like a pretty natural progression of his character growth from the Buu arc

GT Vegeta just seems like another character they had no idea what to do with

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:58 pm

DBS Vegeta isn't skinny.

But my biggest annoyance is when people claim that due to the dragon balls villains actions don't have consequences. What kind of silly notion is that? Have they forgotten about the psychological effects of death? A person who is revived will remember the traumatic experience of death and that's a consequence.