Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 02, 2014 12:44 pm

ErikB wrote:The way it happens in the anime, it looks like they animated 2 of the panels in reverse order. But yeah, in the manga, it really doesn't look like Piccolo was trying to shield Goku from the blast. Piccolo gets blasted and then falls towards the other heroes and finally falls to the ground...although his placement between these panels is questionable but that may or may not be relevant.
It's a mistake in the manga, I think. Piccolo is standing way the hell away from the other guys:

Unless getting shot caused him to leap about fifteen feet to his left like he's in a low-budget Western.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 02, 2014 12:56 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
ABED wrote:I hate that I gave you ammunition, but the fact remains, regardless of how the exposition was delivered it's a good story. You wouldn't have even thought of that if someone hadn't pointed it out to you.
Funny how you've gotten on me for thinking my views on the Cell arc are fact, yet you just said that the Cell saga being good is a fact.
That's never been my problem with you, ever. I don't have issues with people thinking something is bad, but your constant negativity bothers me to no end. It's poisonous and not interesting. I don't get what you get from any of these conversations. It makes ZERO sense to talk about something you hate this much. I know, I know, "I don't hate it, it's just so bad that it's good" or whatever, but I don't see the difference in either view. I can admit my faults in that I can come off as abrasive, but I don't think anyone would mistake that for me not liking the show.
I also love Dr. Gero & Imperfect Cell design, they are really creepy villains
Agreed
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Fri May 02, 2014 2:17 pm

ABED wrote:It makes ZERO sense to talk about something you hate this much. I know, I know, "I don't hate it, it's just so bad that it's good" or whatever, but I don't see the difference in either view.
And that's the problem. Once you realize the difference, maybe then you'll better understand where I'm coming from.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Post by FrogTrigger » Fri May 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Not sure, but I'd have him introduce himself as someone created by Bulma and sent to the present to help fight against Androids.

Foreshadowing of his "heel" turn would include Trunks & Krillin finding an embyro in Gero's lab.
I like the bolded

For some reason I think them finding his egg would be better

Or would he destroy that?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat May 03, 2014 9:32 pm

A lot of people say the "formula" started with Piccolo, but I think it started with Tenshinhan. That's when the series became random character after random character coming out of nowhere and Goku or somebody pulling random strength outta somewhere to beat them.
Last edited by Kid Buu on Mon May 05, 2014 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 03, 2014 9:48 pm

I fail to see how the series became "random character" coming "out of nowhere".

Also, the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai wasn't formulaic. If it was, Goku would've won.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat May 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Kid Buu wrote:A lot of people say the "formula" started with Piccolo, but I think it started with Tenshinhan. That's when the series became random character after random character coming out of nowhere and Goku or somebody pulling random strength outta somewhere to beat them.
If that's how loosely you describe it, than the formula started with chapter 1.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat May 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Saiga wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:A lot of people say the "formula" started with Piccolo, but I think it started with Tenshinhan. That's when the series became random character after random character coming out of nowhere and Goku or somebody pulling random strength outta somewhere to beat them.
You're right, the series has sucked since chapter 1.

Worst. Manga. Ever.
Last edited by Kid Buu on Mon May 05, 2014 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonZ » Sat May 03, 2014 10:14 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
Saiga wrote:

Worst. Manga. Ever.
So you're basically saying that the series sucked since the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai ?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
Saiga wrote:

Worst. Manga. Ever.
Agreed. None of characters are useful, even Goku is useless. No wonder this manga got no fans

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 04, 2014 7:42 am

Really inappropriate. It's obvious what the ulterior motive is here. If you're interested in disingenuous conversations like this, you can take it elsewhere.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun May 04, 2014 6:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Really inappropriate. It's obvious what the ulterior motive is here. If you're interested in disingenuous conversations like this, you can take it elsewhere.
Alright, serious time with serious face.

I do think Tenshinhan is when the series changes, not when Piccolo shows up. Prior to this was mostly gag fights, but now it is starting to get serious. We still get a few gags here in there, but it seems mostly serious from this point on.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
Alright, serious time with serious face.

I do think Tenshinhan is when the series changes, not when Piccolo shows up. Prior to this was mostly gag fights, but now it is starting to get serious. We still get a few gags here in there, but it seems mostly serious from this point on.
I think Ten set the precedent. Not actual change the tone or series.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Thu May 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Freeza's empire is run by morons.

1) They never had spare scouters on board the ship.
2) Freeza never ordered the doctors to put a tracking chip in Vegeta (seriously, that would have gone a long way in finding the DBs.
3) They never extrapolated the scouters to a ship-based radar that could track Ki users. All it would have taken was for the ship to launch a few satellites (6 for each "corner" of the planet) and BAM! total coverage of the planet.
4) Said satellites could also detect and intercept inbound ships, ensuring that Gohan, Bulma, Krillin and Goku would burn up in the atmosphere.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu May 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks to the last events, a lot of people are saying Toriyama should just retire.
So its my unpopular opinion to say he shouldn't.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Hades wrote:Freeza's empire is run by morons.

2) Freeza never ordered the doctors to put a tracking chip in Vegeta (seriously, that would have gone a long way in finding the DBs.
3) They never extrapolated the scouters to a ship-based radar that could track Ki users. All it would have taken was for the ship to launch a few satellites (6 for each "corner" of the planet) and BAM! total coverage of the planet.
4) Said satellites could also detect and intercept inbound ships, ensuring that Gohan, Bulma, Krillin and Goku would burn up in the atmosphere.
2) good luck with that idea.
3 and 4 are reasons why I don't like fan speculation.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Thu May 08, 2014 7:26 pm

ABED wrote:
Hades wrote:Freeza's empire is run by morons.

2) good luck with that idea.
3 and 4 are reasons why I don't like fan speculation.
2) It would have saved Freeza a lot of heartache.
3 & 4) are just extrapolating from in-universe capabilities.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 08, 2014 7:33 pm

But good luck getting the chip on or in Vegeta.
Again, that's pure speculation, and second, if they have those capabilities, it would make sense that Bulma built the ship with something to defend against those things.
Lastly, if you have the power to destroy a planet, I hardly think building that sort of tech is much of a care for a being as powerful Freeza.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Thu May 08, 2014 7:46 pm

ABED wrote:But good luck getting the chip on or in Vegeta.
Again, that's pure speculation, and second, if they have those capabilities, it would make sense that Bulma built the ship with something to defend against those things.
Lastly, if you have the power to destroy a planet, I hardly think building that sort of tech is much of a care for a being as powerful Freeza.
Plenty of opportunities when he's in the healing tank (hell, it would be standard for all troops to have such wetware.)

I doubt Bulma put in any defensive weaponry or shielding to protect the ship from space-based weaponry, considering that a couple of pew-pew blasters torched it

By that logic, the US should have nuked Vietnam.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 08, 2014 8:47 pm

Hades wrote:
ABED wrote:But good luck getting the chip on or in Vegeta.
Plenty of opportunities when he's in the healing tank (hell, it would be standard for all troops to have such wetware.)

I doubt Bulma put in any defensive weaponry or shielding to protect the ship from space-based weaponry, considering that a couple of pew-pew blasters torched it

By that logic, the US should have nuked Vietnam.
We're talking about fictional worlds, and I fail to see how you made the parallel to Vietnam.

Again, we're talking about what ifs. I fail to see how yours is so much better. Freeza cares enough to put up satellite weapons but it's ridiculous that Bulma might think of defensive weaponry?