Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:59 pm

I never really understood the argument that Schemmel makes Goku sound like a tough guy. Even back in 1999, his Goku voice never struck me as being particularly macho sounding. When I think of a Goku voice that tries too hard to be macho, I think of his voice from the Big Green dub, not from any of the other English dubs.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:07 pm

ABED wrote:
Do you have an English Goku you like? Looking back, I can't find any really. At least, none that come close to capturing the spirit of the character. Corlett, Kelamis, Morrow, Schemmel, etc. just don't seem to do it. Of course, Kelamis and Schemmel got to work with decent scripts and we saw attempts at the goofy/naive side of Goku but mileage varies on how people feel about the results.

Corlett gets a lot of praise but I just don't see it. Even in instances where the script doesn't affect much, like screams, he sounds flat.
Corlett's not flat, he's subtle. He's too subdued for the character, but I still like his acting nonetheless. Kelamis is awful, Morrow is bland, and Schemmel tries too hard. Schemmel's probably my favorite English speaking Goku, but still nowhere near Nozawa.
There is no one who can do Goku like Nozawa can. By the way, have you watched Super yet? I remember you saying that you haven't watched it yet.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:37 pm

majinwarman wrote: There is no one who can do Goku like Nozawa can.
Quoted for truth

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Do you have an English Goku you like? Looking back, I can't find any really. At least, none that come close to capturing the spirit of the character. Corlett, Kelamis, Morrow, Schemmel, etc. just don't seem to do it. Of course, Kelamis and Schemmel got to work with decent scripts and we saw attempts at the goofy/naive side of Goku but mileage varies on how people feel about the results.

Corlett gets a lot of praise but I just don't see it. Even in instances where the script doesn't affect much, like screams, he sounds flat.
Corlett's not flat, he's subtle. He's too subdued for the character, but I still like his acting nonetheless. Kelamis is awful, Morrow is bland, and Schemmel tries too hard. Schemmel's probably my favorite English speaking Goku, but still nowhere near Nozawa.
Sean's voice nowadays sounds even MORE unfitting, it sounds like he's making it deeper purposefully that's why it's raspy and way too gruff. Totally out of Character for Goku, he isn't some random Tough Guy. when Nozawa deepens her Goku voice in serious scenes, her Goku still sounds like a Serious "Goku" and not a generic tough Guy unlike Sean who makes him sound like a Generic western tough guy with a Gruff tone and nothing "Goku-like" is there in it with the speech pattern lacking hick tone already from the start and only giving more "generic" Superhero feel. also his goofy Goku is forced like i am hearing Mario with the way he forces his deep voice to sound funny along with the annoying laugh of his. he only has three ways of showing Goku's emotions "Happy", "Angry" and "Bored" and he doesn't even possess much range and has same two-three noises to portray Goku's emotions including those "King Kai" grunts of his. Nozawa's Goku is natural in portraying his goofy and serious side. she has a much better range and doesn't overact thus the portrayal comes off as more natural than Sean's try hard tough guy superhero.

I'm not saying Goku can't be voiced by a man, Peter Kelamis is a man but his Goku sounds more like Manchild even while angry or doing screams, while Schemmels Goku always sounds like a gruff manly biker when he's angry. also there's a misconception that "people only like Kelamis because he copied Japanese voice", when in reality Kelamis didn't really sound Japanese in the slightest. He had a thick American accent and used dub terms. He still sounds American. His tone of voice actually fits Goku, though. That's where Sean Schemmel Goku fails in capturing the character, whether we're talking new or old dubs.
as mentioned earlier, he has three emotions that he almost never breaks. Angry, happy, and bored. imo his actual voice doesn't fit Goku in the slightest, and his range when playing the character is standard at best. though he improved a lot in recent years but i can't say he is best.
Nozawa and Kelamis could both play the role. They fit Goku's character, and they're both far better actors, that's what i think.
I thought for a second that you were talking about Mario Castaneda and got a bit crazy. LOL. You rock!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:58 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
majinwarman wrote: There is no one who can do Goku like Nozawa can.
Quoted for truth
There is no point to lie about it.
Majinwarman

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:17 am

majinwarman wrote:
ABED wrote:

There is no one who can do Goku like Nozawa can. By the way, have you watched Super yet? I remember you saying that you haven't watched it yet.
No. Still no interest.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:24 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
ABED wrote: Corlett's not flat, he's subtle. He's too subdued for the character, but I still like his acting nonetheless. Kelamis is awful, Morrow is bland, and Schemmel tries too hard. Schemmel's probably my favorite English speaking Goku, but still nowhere near Nozawa.
Sean's voice nowadays sounds even MORE unfitting, it sounds like he's making it deeper purposefully that's why it's raspy and way too gruff. Totally out of Character for Goku, he isn't some random Tough Guy. when Nozawa deepens her Goku voice in serious scenes, her Goku still sounds like a Serious "Goku" and not a generic tough Guy unlike Sean who makes him sound like a Generic western tough guy with a Gruff tone and nothing "Goku-like" is there in it with the speech pattern lacking hick tone already from the start and only giving more "generic" Superhero feel. also his goofy Goku is forced like i am hearing Mario with the way he forces his deep voice to sound funny along with the annoying laugh of his. he only has three ways of showing Goku's emotions "Happy", "Angry" and "Bored" and he doesn't even possess much range and has same two-three noises to portray Goku's emotions including those "King Kai" grunts of his. Nozawa's Goku is natural in portraying his goofy and serious side. she has a much better range and doesn't overact thus the portrayal comes off as more natural than Sean's try hard tough guy superhero.

I'm not saying Goku can't be voiced by a man, Peter Kelamis is a man but his Goku sounds more like Manchild even while angry or doing screams, while Schemmels Goku always sounds like a gruff manly biker when he's angry. also there's a misconception that "people only like Kelamis because he copied Japanese voice", when in reality Kelamis didn't really sound Japanese in the slightest. He had a thick American accent and used dub terms. He still sounds American. His tone of voice actually fits Goku, though. That's where Sean Schemmel Goku fails in capturing the character, whether we're talking new or old dubs.
as mentioned earlier, he has three emotions that he almost never breaks. Angry, happy, and bored. imo his actual voice doesn't fit Goku in the slightest, and his range when playing the character is standard at best. though he improved a lot in recent years but i can't say he is best.
Nozawa and Kelamis could both play the role. They fit Goku's character, and they're both far better actors, that's what i think.
I thought for a second that you were talking about Mario Castaneda and got a bit crazy. LOL. You rock!
from the many Multi language Dub comparison videos i saw, he's much better than Sean in acting department. he doesn't make his voice gruff, rough and overly angry like some western Superhero but keeps it simple and also, Castenada's style is more or less like Nozawa, very natural and no overacting.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:20 pm

ABED wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
ABED wrote: Corlett's not flat, he's subtle. He's too subdued for the character, but I still like his acting nonetheless. Kelamis is awful, Morrow is bland, and Schemmel tries too hard. Schemmel's probably my favorite English speaking Goku, but still nowhere near Nozawa.
No. Still no interest.
Cool. I hope that you at least give it a try one day.
Majinwarman

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:51 pm

majinwarman wrote:
ABED wrote:
majinwarman wrote: There is no one who can do Goku like Nozawa can. By the way, have you watched Super yet? I remember you saying that you haven't watched it yet.
No. Still no interest.
If it's available for streaming on something like Hulu, Amazon Prime, or Netflix, then sure.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:58 pm

ABED wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
ABED wrote: No. Still no interest.
If it's available for streaming on something like Hulu, Amazon Prime, or Netflix, then sure.
It's on Crunchyroll.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
ABED wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Cool. I hope that you at least give it a try one day.
It's on Crunchyroll.
I can't find the app on my blu ray player and I don't like watching videos on my computer. The reason I listed those services is because they have other shows and I'm not a big anime fan, not enough to justify a month's subscription just for one series. I've recently become more cost conscious.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:38 pm

ABED wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
ABED wrote: If it's available for streaming on something like Hulu, Amazon Prime, or Netflix, then sure.
It's on Crunchyroll.
I can't find the app on my blu ray player and I don't like watching videos on my computer. The reason I listed those services is because they have other shows and I'm not a big anime fan, not enough to justify a month's subscription just for one series. I've recently become more cost conscious.
If you have a smart phone you can watch it on that. No subscription needed either.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
It's on Crunchyroll.
If you have a smart phone you can watch it on that. No subscription needed either.
If I'm not going to watch it on a computer, why would I watch it on my phone? The might be harsher than I intended it, but I want to watch TV on my TV.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:20 am

ABED wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
ABED wrote:I can't find the app on my blu ray player and I don't like watching videos on my computer. The reason I listed those services is because they have other shows and I'm not a big anime fan, not enough to justify a month's subscription just for one series. I've recently become more cost conscious.
If I'm not going to watch it on a computer, why would I watch it on my phone? The might be harsher than I intended it, but I want to watch TV on my TV.
Understandable. I totally get that.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:21 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Exactly. If you want a performance similar to the Japanese, just watch the Japanese. A good dub voice doesn't have to sound like the original.
But what if I want a performance similar to the Japanese in English? Do I watch the Japanese? But I want to watch it in English.

I agree with the second part of your comment. A dub actor doesn't need to sound like the original actor. But I just don't like the "Just watch the Japanese if that's what you want" type of response. I've seen it thrown around by people trying to justify bad dubbing practices. Arguing that if you want the dub to be the same experience as the original, then you should just watch the Japanese version. Not saying your one of them. Your comment just happens to remind me to those types of comments.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:36 pm

ABED wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
ABED wrote: No. Still no interest.
You could buy the Part Blu-Rays. If you don't like Super you can always sell them when Funimation re-releases it in season sets and get most, if not all of your money back.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
ABED wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Cool. I hope that you at least give it a try one day.
You could buy the Part Blu-Rays. If you don't like Super you can always sell them when Funimation re-releases it in season sets and get most, if not all of your money back.
Being on a budget, if I'm going to buy a hardcopy, I'd rather it be for something I know I'm going to like and preferably one that has a bunch of extras.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 pm

ABED I take it you don't want to stream it illegally, then sure it should be available on broader streaming websites at some point lol

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:12 pm

ABED wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
ABED wrote:I can't find the app on my blu ray player and I don't like watching videos on my computer. The reason I listed those services is because they have other shows and I'm not a big anime fan, not enough to justify a month's subscription just for one series. I've recently become more cost conscious.
Nice to know that. I hope that you find a way to watch it.
Majinwarman

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:09 pm

If it happens, that's great, if not, I'm not lacking for DB material.