Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SheonGT

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by SheonGT » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:56 am

Kurakaio wrote:I like the Buu arc the best.

I like the Saiyan arc the least. (out of Z)
idk, I think that’s a pretty valid opinion. Saiyan arc feels rushed in some places (fight with Raditz) and fillery to the point of annoyance in others (Snake Way, Gohan’s training) beloved characters are immediately obliterated by Nappa to make way for Goku, ushering in the era of only Saiyans ever mattering in DBZ.
And when you compare Vegeta in the Saiyan arc to the rest of the series, it’s far from his best character-wise.

Buu arc is long as hell, so I feel like there’s something to like there for everybody. Gohan gets really powerful before getting snubbed, and his fight with Buu is dope. I love the design of Supreme Kai and his realm. Babidi’s design and demonic seal are awesome, as is Dabura. Man operates out of an underground bunker like the Taliban for god sakes. Fat Buu is kind of lacking imo, but how about that SSJ3 transformation? All in all an amazing arc.

I’m curious though, do you watch subbed or dubbed?
Ask me about my love for the Faulconer Productions score!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:59 pm

The Kikuchi score placement in Kai is fine and people are overblowing how bad it is.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:35 pm

ABED wrote:The Kikuchi score placement in Kai is fine and people are overblowing how bad it is.
I've never understood the hate for it either. I get its a step down from the placment in Z for sure, but certainly not to the point of being grating on the ears, or for me to feel insulted as a Kikuchi fan (which is something I've heard a lot of people say).

Honestly though Kai is awesome no matter how you watch it, and I like the fact a version with the best composer to ever grace this series is commercially available. Z will always have a place in my heart but its nice to have the option of 169 episodes in animated format there.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:42 pm

I'm perfectly fine with the Minus retcons to the main continuity.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:06 am

ABED wrote:The Kikuchi score placement in Kai is fine and people are overblowing how bad it is.
It was way better than the horrible score placement TFC got.

Remember this theme (https://youtu.be/wZDTgzMaZzE)? It was fitting when it was used in the recap of Kai 1.0 in the first episode but it was unfitting when it was used several times in action scenes.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:25 am

Well, for people that are used with original japanese Z, the score placement feels really off. Bringing another composer would be better than this.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:48 am

Jackalope89 wrote:I'm perfectly fine with the Minus retcons to the main continuity.
I agree with this, and personally I'd go a step or two further and say I love Minus in general. Everything from the art (big fan of Toriyama's current style), to the nice and brief story that leads in to the beginning of DB, and above all, the wonderful addition of Gine - all of it just appeals to me a lot!

I'm sure there's a bias here since I'm very fond of "post-revival" Dragon Ball as a whole, but even being a fan of that seems to lean on the unpopular side (from my experience anyway, not saying this as a concrete statement).
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:55 am

Anime Kitten wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:I'm perfectly fine with the Minus retcons to the main continuity.
I agree with this, and personally I'd go a step or two further and say I love Minus in general. Everything from the art (big fan of Toriyama's current style), to the nice and brief story that leads in to the beginning of DB, and above all, the wonderful addition of Gine - all of it just appeals to me a lot!

I'm sure there's a bias here since I'm very fond of "post-revival" Dragon Ball as a whole, but even being a fan of that seems to lean on the unpopular side (from my experience anyway, not saying this as a concrete statement).
But how do you feel that this Minus storyline may retcon the original manga? it is one thing to retcon the Bardock special, but another to contradict the manga and get rid of Bardock's rebellion scene.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:04 am

PFM18 wrote:But how do you feel that this Minus storyline may retcon the original manga? it is one thing to retcon the Bardock special, but another to contradict the manga and get rid of Bardock's rebellion scene.
Well, in the event it does end up being retconned (which, of course, is a "wait-and-see" for now), I won't be all that bothered by it since I don't see Freeza recognizing Gokū as a huge plot point. I'd probably think about it a little, realize "Well I guess they messed that up," and then more or less shrug it off after a bit. It's how I react to most retcons that aren't particularly impactful to the overall story, I suppose.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Noah wrote:
Well, for people that are used with original japanese Z, the score placement feels really off. Bringing another composer would be better than this.
Still not seeing the problem. Perhaps they are aware of what song played when, but the level of issue people have with this feels overblown. Even ill placed songs from Kikuchi are better than the bland score used in TFC.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 am

Unpopular opinion:

Every one of the members of the Freeza Force who use a blaster (Raspberry is one of them) are weaker than Saibamen and rely on physical strength (kind of like Videl: can fly and is a physical fighter, but cannot use ki as a projectile).
Seriously. I'm not convinced Raditz was one of the weakest members of the Freeza Force when the are mooks can't even shoot ki and need a blaster to compensate!
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:58 am

This franchise really just needs to end. Look at all this great animation done by talented people being wasted on a rehashed villain. The Dragon Ball nostalgia in me can't help but to watch whatever comes out, but I'd really rather it all ended at volume 42.

Unless maybe a completely redone anime happened that retold the 42 volumes with a much better pace while still letting the scenes breathe unlike the breakneck pace of the manga, as the DB/Z anime adaptations are riddled with flaws, anything else just feels like a waste of these highly talented individuals.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:59 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Unpopular opinion:

Every one of the members of the Freeza Force who use a blaster (Raspberry is one of them) are weaker than Saibamen and rely on physical strength (kind of like Videl: can fly and is a physical fighter, but cannot use ki as a projectile).
I don't really think that's an unpopular opinion, it's more like a fact. I sometimes wonder why Frieza hired them but then I remember the inhabitants of the planets that Frieza conquers are likely to be weaker than them.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am

SheonGT wrote:

idk, I think that’s a pretty valid opinion. Saiyan arc feels rushed in some places (fight with Raditz) and fillery to the point of annoyance in others (Snake Way, Gohan’s training) beloved characters are immediately obliterated by Nappa to make way for Goku, ushering in the era of only Saiyans ever mattering in DBZ.
And when you compare Vegeta in the Saiyan arc to the rest of the series, it’s far from his best character-wise.

Buu arc is long as hell, so I feel like there’s something to like there for everybody. Gohan gets really powerful before getting snubbed, and his fight with Buu is dope. I love the design of Supreme Kai and his realm. Babidi’s design and demonic seal are awesome, as is Dabura. Man operates out of an underground bunker like the Taliban for god sakes. Fat Buu is kind of lacking imo, but how about that SSJ3 transformation? All in all an amazing arc.

Boo arc sure is charming and gets a lot of flak. the humour in it is best in Z and it kind of Subverts the trope in many ways.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Kurakaio

Post by Kurakaio » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:43 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
SheonGT wrote:

Boo arc sure is charming and gets a lot of flak. the humour in it is best in Z and it kind of Subverts the trope in many ways.
To me it just has some of the best moments.

SSJ3 Transformation.
Vegeta's Final Explosion
Gotenks
Mystic/Ultimate Gohan
Vegito
Buu in general. He was very unique and unpredictable, and I was always left wondering how he'd change next or how'd they beat him.
The spirit bomb at the end.

The Saiyan saga for me at least was pretty much just the Vegeta fight, and the Kaiokenx4 kamehameha.

I guess this is also the reason why I like the T.O.P so much. To me it just had enough good moments that it made me forget all of the mediocre stuff.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Kurakaio wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
SheonGT wrote:

SSJ3 Transformation.
Vegeta's Final Explosion
Gotenks
Mystic/Ultimate Gohan
Vegito
Buu in general. He was very unique and unpredictable, and I was always left wondering how he'd change next or how'd they beat him.

The Saiyan saga for me at least was pretty much just the Vegeta fight, and the Kaiokenx4 kamehameha.

I guess this is also the reason why I like the T.O.P so much. To me it just had enough good moments that it made me forget all of the mediocre stuff.
Yes and SSJ2 Goku Vs Kid Buu&Goku SSJ2 Vs Majin Vegeta are one of the best Fights I have ever seen
GT Fighter

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:14 am

Kurakaio wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
SheonGT wrote:

SSJ3 Transformation.
Vegeta's Final Explosion
Gotenks
Mystic/Ultimate Gohan
Vegito

Boo arc was just as good as Namek and Androids arc. Goku is characterized well with his threatening of Kaioshin and why he believes the younger generation should take care of Boo, and Vegeta finally becomes a great character in this arc as well. Boo is arguably Z's best villain too since he actually develops as a character, with his relationship with Mr. Satan and Bee, and with him killing Babidi, giving him independence. Mr. Satan also develops as we see a different side of character to him. It also probably has the best humor and most awesome looking stuff in the series (Majin Vegeta, SSj3, Ultimate Gohan, Vegetto, Kid Buu etc).
unlike many, i don't really hate Super Boo that much tbh.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Early DB (Pre-Raditz) is extremely overrated. I don't know why so many people (typically contrarian fans and anime hipsters) put on such a pedestal compared to the rest of the franchise when it features many of the same writing flaws of the future installments, on average the worst animation and art design out of all 4 series, a mostly forgettable supporting cast, less character development than Z and even the Super anime (though it still has more than GT and the Super manga lol) and a bunch of other issues.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Less character development?

And the supporting cast in DB is amazing.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:38 pm

zarmack wrote:Early DB (Pre-Raditz) is extremely overrated.
If anything its underrated as Dragon Ball fans especially in the West act like everything begins and ends with DBZ and maybe Super because its current. Even Dragon Ball Kai’s attitude toward it was basically “eh not important”

when it features many of the same writing flaws of the future installments
Such as? If we’re comparing animes it has far better pacing, less repetitive writing and does more with its cast and world than later series

on average the worst animation and art design out of all 4 series
It’s the oldest series so its gonna look rougher. And yet I still disagree since Super is really cheap and ugly looking. And DBZ isn’t much better on this front than OG Dragon Ball as GT isn’t much better animation wise than DBZ

Path to Power was the only time I ever thought “Wow this animation is really good” and I guess that technically qualifies as GT but it looks better than the GT series

a mostly forgettable supporting cast
It has a supporting cast.