Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:57 pm

I wish they would’ve gotten actual kids to voice the kid characters in the series for the English dub. Getting women to voice male characters is fine for the Japanese version, but for some reason, I just don’t think it works as well in English. Plus, outside of cases like Masako Nozawa (who I admittedly had to warm up to over time), I’m not a fan of the cross dressing voices trope in general. I realize that it’s more convenient to have grown women voice these characters over young boys, but it just makes the whole thing seem kind of phony. It bothers me in the same way that getting a white person to voice a character who’s clearly not supposed to be white bothers me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:56 am

WittyUsername wrote:I wish they would’ve gotten actual kids to voice the kid characters in the series for the English dub. Getting women to voice male characters is fine for the Japanese version, but for some reason, I just don’t think it works as well in English. Plus, outside of cases like Masako Nozawa (who I admittedly had to warm up to over time), I’m not a fan of the cross dressing voices trope in general. I realize that it’s more convenient to have grown women voice these characters over young boys, but it just makes the whole thing seem kind of phony. It bothers me in the same way that getting a white person to voice a character who’s clearly not supposed to be white bothers me.
It's not merely convenient, it's necessary. Young boys' voices change rapidly. They'd have to get a different kid almost every year.

Does the term cross dress voice come from tvtropes.com?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:48 am

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I wish they would’ve gotten actual kids to voice the kid characters in the series for the English dub. Getting women to voice male characters is fine for the Japanese version, but for some reason, I just don’t think it works as well in English. Plus, outside of cases like Masako Nozawa (who I admittedly had to warm up to over time), I’m not a fan of the cross dressing voices trope in general. I realize that it’s more convenient to have grown women voice these characters over young boys, but it just makes the whole thing seem kind of phony. It bothers me in the same way that getting a white person to voice a character who’s clearly not supposed to be white bothers me.
It's not merely convenient, it's necessary. Young boys' voices change rapidly. They'd have to get a different kid almost every year.

Yes, it does.

Anyway, I don’t see why they’d need to get a different kid every year. Characters like Gohan gradually grow up over the course of the series.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:52 am

WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:

Yes, it does.

Anyway, I don’t see why they’d need to get a different kid every year. Characters like Gohan gradually grow up over the course of the series.
Yeah, but how long are characters like Goku, Gohan, and especially Goten kids? Long time. They would have to dub a lot at once.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:43 am

Yes, it does.

I don't like that site at all, but I'm splitting hairs.

They would because of how rapidly voices change. Gohan gradually grows up, but little kids change quickly.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:44 pm

ABED wrote:
Yes, it does.

I don't like that site at all, but I'm splitting hairs.

They would because of how rapidly voices change. Gohan gradually grows up, but little kids change quickly.
If long running shows like Adventure Time were able to manage with having a kid voicing the main character, I don’t think it’d be a huge deal if they were to have gotten kids to voice kid Goku and Gohan. Goku in particular was already nearly an adolescent by the beginning of the series, so his voice changing over time wouldn’t be a problem.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:32 pm

If long running shows like Adventure Time were able to manage with having a kid voicing the main character, I don’t think it’d be a huge deal if they were to have gotten kids to voice kid Goku and Gohan. Goku in particular was already nearly an adolescent by the beginning of the series, so his voice changing over time wouldn’t be a problem.
We're talking kids' voices dropping nearly an octave in a summer. It's not just the show, it's also all the video games. ReBoot went through like 4 Enzos in as many seasons for that reason. Hell, I recall hearing about a movie where they had to pitch a teenager's voice in post because in the few months between principle photography and pickups, the actor's voice dropped considerably.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:05 pm

ABED wrote:
We're talking kids' voices dropping nearly an octave in a summer. It's not just the show, it's also all the video games. ReBoot went through like 4 Enzos in as many seasons for that reason. Hell, I recall hearing about a movie where they had to pitch a teenager's voice in post because in the few months between principle photography and pickups, the actor's voice dropped considerably.
The video games shouldn’t be of any concern. The dub actors have almost never brought in their A-game for those anyway.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:59 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:
The video games shouldn’t be of any concern. The dub actors have almost never brought in their A-game for those anyway.
It's a simple fact of life that voices change and I'd rather stick with one good actor than change actors every year or two just to keep it "more authentic" when the only counter is Adventure Time had one kid voicing a main character. Would it not have been weird if over the course of the Freeza arc, Gohan's voice suddenly deepened even though the arc only takes place over the course of a few days?

And why don't you think having a woman voice a young boy works in English?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:15 pm

ABED wrote:You are comparing the character at two different points in the story. One after his big arc is complete. The Vegeta we first met wouldn't have even been as civil as he was during the scene at issue.
Wasn't Vegeta supposed to have developed in the SEVEN years since the Cell arc? The idea is that he was living with his wife and his child and he grew attached to them and he loves them, became less selfish etc etc. And yet Vegeta was still a complete asshole to his son during this training sequence and throughout the arc outside of one moment.
ABED wrote:That's neither text nor subtext. For one, why would they? And two, he had already been wished back by Earth's DB's before.
Did he or did he not ultimately get revived at the end of the arc? You make it sound like he actually stayed dead. He was revived and there's no way that, to some extent, he didn't see that coming. Maybe he wasn't sure of it, but he probably had an idea that it was atleast moderately likely.

Even if In-Universe Vegeta actually intended this to be his death, the scene doesn't provoke any emotion from the viewer because death is a complete joke in this series. Everybody dies and they always come back one way or another. If Goku was going to come back from the dead after telling everybody he wanted to stay dead, then Vegeta sure as hell was going to come back from the dead and everybody watching knew this. He had just gotten done talking about his strength is the only thing that matters and that he resents his family.
ABED wrote:It's in no way random. Everything since Vegeta's first fight with Goku has been building towards his epiphany. He's not giving up on surpassing Goku. At no point does he say he's giving up on surpassing Goku, he's simply grown out of his insecure need to be better than Goku and having everyone know it. Finally admitting it and being okay with it is healthy. He's not giving up, he's letting go of his insecurities.
He didn't explicitly state that he was giving up but that is clearly what he was doing. He admitted Goku was #1; accepting that he wasn't and that he never would be. They show him giving up on surpassing Goku after he had JUST SHOWN HE NEVER GIVES UP AGAINST PURE BUU. The scene makes Vegeta look pathetic and contradictory. He should still focus on surpassing Goku but just not be so petty and childish about it. Instead, he just gives up on doing it altogether which is even worse. Vegeta was a quitter in that scene and that just isn't in his character.
ABED wrote:In his speech during the Kid Buu fight, part of his realization is that Goku isn't so good merely because he was fighting to protect his friends and family. If that was the case, then surely that would be so for him since Vegeta came to genuinely care for his family as well. He realized the true source of Goku's strength was to be the best he can be for its own sake. While it's nice that Vegeta gets strength from fighting to protect the people he cares about, that's not what DB is at its core. Vegeta's realization about the true source of Goku's skill goes to the root of the story far better than fighting to protect one's loved one, which is a fairly common idea in many narratives.
I disagree, fighting to protect his loved ones I think is a better development for Vegeta. Especially since Vegeta retained his pride and cockiness even after shifting his priorities to be focused on being strong enough to protect those he cares about. And I thought it was better that this realization actually meant something. It gave him a new transformation and the ability to defeat and be useful for once.

One of the many reasons the Buu Arc is the worst arc of DBZ and easily not even a top 5 arc overall.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:53 pm

He did develop, but that doesn't make him a goody goody. He has trouble expressing his feelings, but considering where he was at in the previous arc, it's progress. Let's not forget that this is the same guy that allows Babidi to brand him for the sake of more power. He's still developing.
You make it sound like he actually stayed dead. He was revived and there's no way that, to some extent, he didn't see that coming.
No I don't. I just don't impose subtext when it's not there.
He didn't explicitly state that he was giving up but that is clearly what he was doing. He admitted Goku was #1; accepting that he wasn't and that he never would be. They show him giving up on surpassing Goku after he had JUST SHOWN HE NEVER GIVES UP AGAINST PURE BUU. The scene makes Vegeta look pathetic and contradictory. He should still focus on surpassing Goku but just not be so petty and childish about it. Instead, he just gives up on doing it altogether which is even worse. Vegeta was a quitter in that scene and that just isn't in his character.
His rivalry isn't with Buu! Goku is the one that drives him. He's just acknowledging Goku being better, nothing more. It's not a contradiction at all. He's letting go of his insecurities. Nothing in his speech implies that he doesn't want to try to surpass Goku, just that he can now acknowledge that Goku is better. He can now do so without it wounding his pride.
I disagree, fighting to protect his loved ones I think is a better development for Vegeta.
He did and he still died. It's not a better development because it doesn't go to the core of his character and what drives him.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:23 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:We're talking kids' voices dropping nearly an octave in a summer. It's not just the show, it's also all the video games. ReBoot went through like 4 Enzos in as many seasons for that reason. Hell, I recall hearing about a movie where they had to pitch a teenager's voice in post because in the few months between principle photography and pickups, the actor's voice dropped considerably.
It's a simple fact of life that voices change and I'd rather stick with one good actor than change actors every year or two just to keep it "more authentic" when the only counter is Adventure Time had one kid voicing a main character. Would it not have been weird if over the course of the Freeza arc, Gohan's voice suddenly deepened even though the arc only takes place over the course of a few days?

And why don't you think having a woman voice a young boy works in English?
Maybe it’s just because English is really the only language I know, so it’s more blatant to me when a woman is voicing a young boy in those kinds of productions. In the cases of Stephanie Nadolny (whose performance I know you’re not fond of anyway), Colleen Clinkenbeard, Kara Edwards, Laura Bailey, etc., it’s painfully obvious that none of their characters are actually being played by anyone other than women. It just takes me out of the experience. Nozawa is usually able to make it work, but I generally don’t like the practice of women voicing young boys or adult men. It just doesn’t feel authentic.

Anyway, wasn’t Gohan voiced by a kid in the German dub?

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:10 pm

WittyUsername wrote:After watching MistareFusion/GafferTape’s most recent episode of Dragon Ball Dissection, it’s really starting to dawn on me that I don’t care for the retcon of #16 being made in the image of Dr. Gero’s dead son. That would’ve been fine if it was something that was revealed in the series itself, but it’s painfully obvious that it’s just something Toriyama retroactively came up with in order to try and make Dr. Gero seem like a more fleshed out character. FighterZ at least did something kind of interesting with that idea, but that game obviously isn’t canon to the series itself.
It's an interesting idea apart from the fact that sounds something like Toriyama just though after eating his breakfast and dropped out of nowhere, I think it could have been something hinted in the actual series or foreshadowed somehow. I give props to TFS for actually attempting to do some connection.
WittyUsername wrote:Anyway, wasn’t Gohan voiced by a kid in the German dub?
No, he was voiced by a a low-pitched man.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:28 pm

It just doesn’t feel authentic.
And having several different voices for the same character wouldn't take you out of it?

Recasting bugs me.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:57 pm

ABED wrote:
It just doesn’t feel authentic.
And having several different voices for the same character wouldn't take you out of it?

Recasting bugs me.
At the most, I can’t imagine them needing more than two voices for someone like Gohan during the anime proper. Video games are a different story, but most hardcore fans who play the games probably switch to the Japanese voices anyway.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:03 pm

I think Jiren is great. He's like the 90s Super Hero I never had, flaws and all.

Some of my faviort characters come from the 90s, Doomsday and Onslaught be to key example. Overpowered, edgy, grim, not necaserrly the best written but hella cool.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:25 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:I think Jiren is great. He's like the 90s Super Hero I never had, flaws and all.

Some of my faviort characters come from the 90s, Doomsday and Onslaught be to key example. Overpowered, edgy, grim, not necaserrly the best written but hella cool.
I personally wanted to like Jiren, but I found it difficult to view him as anything other than a generic badass. It doesn’t help that during the final few episodes of the anime, he became your typical anime edgelord who rants about how friendship is a waste of time, and how might makes right. It’s especially jarring because Dragon Ball has never really struck me as a series that really focuses much on friendship.

I can only hope that the manga doesn’t end up going that route. I like how the manga has so far made him seem genuinely heroic, if somewhat standoffish, and I have no doubt that he’ll have a tragic backstory, but I still want him to be a good guy overall.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:32 pm

My unpopular opinion? I actually prefer Super and Kai 2.0's dub scripts to Kai 1.0's. Accurate or not...there were occasional times where Kai 1.0's script felt just a tad too literal; just a tad too formal (referring to everything Goku says from 1:30-2:00).
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Fionordequester wrote:My unpopular opinion? I actually prefer Super and Kai 2.0's dub scripts to Kai 1.0's. Accurate or not...there were occasional times where Kai 1.0's script felt just a tad too literal; just a tad too formal (referring to everything Goku says from 1:30-2:00).
I've only heard bits and pieces, I'm waiting for the DVD so I can binge watch it all, but I've not heard anything too aggreges and I like the dub a lot.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:44 pm

i think sometimes People are way too hard on Writing in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z and nitpick a lot of things. if they critically analyze and nitpick other shows like Naruto, etc. then I hardly see them getting anymore than 6/10.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30