Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:24 pm

I don't care about any of the human fighters.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Objectively, it's pretty lame. But it makes for such a fun world with so many opportunities that I don't mind. While I actually like GT, the ending did the exact opposite. It essentially closed off any future that the series could have branching off from that conclusion.
Ehh I don't know. In terms of overall universe maybe. But its state at the start of DBO is a very convinient "greatest hits package" of everything happening, living and in 'democratic' big numbers on Earth. Most of the uniquness is gone (with millions of Buus and Namekians running around), martial arts and Ki is practically a common good etc. It really was suited for MMO environment, I don't think I would want an actual manga/anime in such universe. How can you even focus on 1 hero or group of heroes in a universe where half of the planet can be the next best thing.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Gog wrote:I don't care about any of the human fighters.
but why you don't care for the human fighters,is it because they replace Goten and trunks in the tournament of power arc
Mostly active on discord.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:38 pm

Basaku wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Objectively, it's pretty lame. But it makes for such a fun world with so many opportunities that I don't mind. While I actually like GT, the ending did the exact opposite. It essentially closed off any future that the series could have branching off from that conclusion.
Ehh I don't know. In terms of overall universe maybe. But its state at the start of DBO is a very convinient "greatest hits package" of everything happening, living and in 'democratic' big numbers on Earth. Most of the uniquness is gone (with millions of Buus and Namekians running around), martial arts and Ki is practically a common good etc. It really was suited for MMO environment, I don't think I would want an actual manga/anime in such universe. How can you even focus on 1 hero or group of heroes in a universe where half of the planet can be the next best thing.
I'm not a huge Naruto fan, but it did a fine job at setting up the kind of universe where everyone that wants to can have supernatural powers. In theory, anyone in that universe could be the hero or villain, depending on how hard they work (or the lows they're willing to sink to). Not saying that it's an ideal environment for DB, but it can be done.
Retired.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:40 pm

The gr wrote:
but why you don't care for the human fighters,is it because they replace Goten and trunks in the tournament of power arc
No, I just really don't care for them, well except for Tien, but he's not human :P

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: I'm not a huge Naruto fan, but it did a fine job at setting up the kind of universe where everyone that wants to can have supernatural powers. In theory, anyone in that universe could be the hero or villain, depending on how hard they work (or the lows they're willing to sink to). Not saying that it's an ideal environment for DB, but it can be done.
I guess as always it all comes down to execution. In any case, I mostly wanted to bring down the opinion of DBO down a notch as I see it's getting way too many points simply for being not-GT 8) It's not really enough, it has big flaws of its own and like I said, I would hope any potential new sequel would mostly disregard both GT and DBO

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:50 pm

Gog wrote:
The gr wrote:
No, I just really don't care for them, well except for Tien, but he's not human :P
But what if krillin is part of the no nose clan like tien is with the three eyed clan :P,I got an another ultimate unpopular opinion, I have no problem with Tadayoshi Yamamuro designs and the Man itself

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:05 pm

The feeling is mutual. I think they're overrated. Of course, I can enjoy their scenes in the series pre-Super no problem, but if you asked me, I'd tell you they've done everything they need to and should retire by now. I'd say the same thing about Gokū and Vegeta.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
The feeling is mutual. I think they're overrated. Of course, I can enjoy their scenes in the series pre-Super no problem, but if you asked me, I'd tell you they've done everything they need to and should retire by now. I'd say the same thing about Gokū and Vegeta.
But why you want Goku and Vegeta aka the stars of the show to retire, because quite frankly Goku is unreplaceable tbh

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:19 pm

The gr wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote:
But why you want Goku and Vegeta aka the stars of the show to retire, because quite frankly Goku is unreplaceable tbh
Well since Goku is pretty unlikable in Super, it makes sense. And EOZ was going down that road anyway, why not continue it?

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:31 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
The gr wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote: The feeling is mutual. I think they're overrated. Of course, I can enjoy their scenes in the series pre-Super no problem, but if you asked me, I'd tell you they've done everything they need to and should retire by now. I'd say the same thing about Gokū and Vegeta.
Well since Goku is pretty unlikable in Super, it makes sense. And EOZ was going down that road anyway, why not continue it?
Because toriyama is not that type of writer to change his main character, and why should I care to a random kid that goku is going to train, who just appeared at the end

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:34 pm

The gr wrote:But why you want Goku and Vegeta aka the stars of the show to retire, because quite frankly Goku is unreplaceable tbh
I like them both, but they've simply played their part in the story. There's nothing else they should do. Let Goten and Trunks take over. Let Pan and Bra take over. There's just no reason for them to stick around after this long. I don't really have a solid argument to back this up. That's just how I feel.

Like Dbzfan94 said, take an EOZ route. That was a step in the right direction as far as the main cast transition goes. Unfortunately, we all know how GT handled that... but that's a different discussion.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
The gr wrote:But why you want Goku and Vegeta aka the stars of the show to retire, because quite frankly Goku is unreplaceable tbh
I like them both, but they've simply played their part in the story. There's nothing else they should do. Let Goten and Trunks take over. Let Pan and Bra take over. There's just no reason for them to stick around after this long. I don't really have a solid argument to back this up. That's just how I feel.

Like Dbzfan94 said, take an EOZ route. That was a step in the right direction as far as the main cast transition goes. Unfortunately, we all know how GT handled that... but that's a different discussion.
But pan,bra,Goten and trunks are not that interesting and I just simply hate the idea of pan and bra going Super Saiyan,and toriyama tried this with gohan but it failed miserably

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:41 pm

The gr wrote:
Gog wrote:
The gr wrote:but why you don't care for the human fighters,is it because they replace Goten and trunks in the tournament of power arc
But what if krillin is part of the no nose clan like tien is with the three eyed clan :P,I got an another ultimate unpopular opinion, I have no problem with Tadayoshi Yamamuro designs and the Man itself
Serious talk now about the humans, I do not enjoy Krillin's design and character, he's just incredibly dull to me, I like Yamcha, it's just that he's hardly there and he's the literal personification of a butt monkey, Chiatzou is literally forgettable, Roshi's best moments are when he's Jackie Chun and his absolute worst, bottom of the shit barrel moments are when he's a perverted old fart.

Eh, the only reason why I have any problem with Yamamuro's designs is because they just hinder the animation.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:...It essentially closed off any future that the series could have branching off from that conclusion.
What about Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr.? Nah... Who am I kidding? lol
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote:Goku Black is, so far, the WORST idea for a villain in the Dragon Ball Franchise.

It is only marginally better than the idea of a resurrected, golden-paint job Frieza. And that's saying a lot!
For such a "bad" idea for a villain, Goku Black ironically become one of the best and greatly executed DB villains this franchise has ever produced. If you think otherwise, do you mind elaborating?
Eh, not really. :P

I just hated pretty much everything about the character and I definitely don't think the execution was... "great". Was it surprising that Zamasu switched bodies with some whatever-alternate-main-timeline Goku? Somewhat.

Was is something that I wanted to see happen officially in the franchise? No.

Do I think Zamasu (not!Goku Black) was a villain with good and unique characterization? Yes.

Had it just centered on Future Zamasu(?), I would have had a more decent opinion of the entire arc, but that's assuming the writing would have been better.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:25 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote:Goku Black is, so far, the WORST idea for a villain in the Dragon Ball Franchise.

It is only marginally better than the idea of a resurrected, golden-paint job Frieza. And that's saying a lot!
For such a "bad" idea for a villain, Goku Black ironically become one of the best and greatly executed DB villains this franchise has ever produced. If you think otherwise, do you mind elaborating?

I just hated pretty much everything about the character and I definitely don't think the execution was... "great". Was it surprising that Zamasu switched bodies with some whatever-alternate-main-timeline Goku? Somewhat.

Do I think Zamasu (not!Goku Black) was a villain with good and unique characterization? Yes.

Had it just centered on Future Zamasu(?), I would have had a more decent opinion of the entire arc, but that's assuming the writing would have been better.
IMO Goku Black is the only good about Zamasu as a character. Zamasu himself is a pretentious little cunt.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:57 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote: For such a "bad" idea for a villain, Goku Black ironically become one of the best and greatly executed DB villains this franchise has ever produced. If you think otherwise, do you mind elaborating?

IMO Goku Black is the only good about Zamasu as a character. Zamasu himself is a pretentious little cunt.
As much as I vastly prefer Goku Black over Future Zamasu, don't you think "pretentious" can also describe Black's character, especially the Rosé scene.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:38 am

This seems to be a pretty unpopular one on here;

The Bluray season sets are really awesome.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Bansho64 wrote:This seems to be a pretty unpopular one on here;

The Bluray season sets are really awesome.
I don't think they're really awesome, but they're certainly worth your money moreso than the DVD seasons, or even (at current prices) the Dragon Boxes.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327