Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:58 pm

Freeza's four months of training was the best way that they could have made him acheive that power.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Don't start a flame war, please :D
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Gog wrote:Freeza's four months of training was the best way that they could have made him acheive that power.
Even better than 4.5 months of training?
Retired.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Gog wrote:Freeza's four months of training was the best way that they could have made him acheive that power.
Even better than 4.5 months of training?
Yes four months of training is much better than four point five months of training. :P

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:41 pm

I think Bankoku Bikkuri Sho is such a cool technique, it would amuse me if Roshi had the chance to use in the tournament instead of just relying in the good ol' Kamehameha
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:10 pm

I think that Toriyama/Toyotaro have been inspired by Dojinshi for 'Super' and I'm not actually upset with that.

Also, this is my first post in the Kanzenshuu forums! :)
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Avenant wrote:I think that Toriyama/Toyotaro have been inspired by Dojinshi for 'Super' and I'm not actually upset with that.

It's very possible, although I doubt Toriyama actually read any fan spin-offs of his own work firsthand. Rather, it's likely that his associates (including Toyotaro), along with the DB Room staff may look at fan material and make suggestions based on that. You have to admit that the whole Zamasu ordeal is a little too similar to Toyble's AF on several fronts, I don't think it's coincidence.

Welcome to the forums! :D
Retired.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Avenant wrote:I think that Toriyama/Toyotaro have been inspired by Dojinshi for 'Super' and I'm not actually upset with that.

It's very possible, although I doubt Toriyama actually read any fan spin-offs of his own work firsthand. Rather, it's likely that his associates (including Toyotaro), along with the DB Room staff may look at fan material and make suggestions based on that. You have to admit that the whole Zamasu ordeal is a little too similar to Toyble's AF on several fronts, I don't think it's coincidence.

Toyo is straight up lifting elements from his doujin, there's no coincidence here.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

Thank you! And yes, I particularly think the Zamasu coincidence is glaringly obvious. I wonder if any of them have also read/come across Dragonball-Multiverse?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:53 am

I like Fat Buu's dub voice in the Funi dub (that one was really hated, no?) it fit the character just fine for me

The "Your father was an average fighter but he was a BRILLIANT scientist." line doesn't bother me. Maybe because I don't give a crap about Bardock or the special and since Funimation was committed to making Goku anime Superman might as well go all the way and Bardock= Jor El

The Cell saga is my favorite (I didn't even know that was an unpopular opinion until I came here)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:15 am

I don't mind Funimation's Boo, either. I get that it doesn't quite capture the spirit of the original, but it fits the character just fine in its own right.
Retired.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I like Fat Buu's dub voice in the Funi dub (that one was really hated, no?) it fit the character just fine for me

The "Your father was an average fighter but he was a BRILLIANT scientist." line doesn't bother me. Maybe because I don't give a crap about Bardock or the special and since Funimation was committed to making Goku anime Superman might as well go all the way and Bardock= Jor El

The Cell saga is my favorite (I didn't even know that was an unpopular opinion until I came here)
I'd say the cell saga is the most popular outside of Kanzenshuu.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:20 pm

kinisking wrote: I'd say the cell saga is the most popular outside of Kanzenshuu.
Yeah, I never really saw people disliking it much, or even hating it, until I came here. It's got a huge following outside of here.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Ah gotcha. It's kind of like the Faulconer score

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
kinisking wrote: I'd say the cell saga is the most popular outside of Kanzenshuu.
Yeah, I never really saw people disliking it much, or even hating it, until I came here. It's got a huge following outside of here.
As far as story structure goes, The Cell Saga is incredible. It's one of the most complex and satisfying arcs in all of Dragonball and is a near-perfect resolution to the series that Toriyama originally wanted it to be; Goku's past (Red Ribbon) returns to kill him off and his son, Gohan, takes over the mantle along with justice for his father. If Toriyama would have ended the entire series here, it would have been a fitting end for sure, regardless of people wanting to see more or not, simply because of how well it bookends the series.

The Cell/Androids saga is my absolute favorite because of how well developed the characters are, along with the resolve of the plot. My only issue is the dead-end that is Android 16. So many questions and so much lost potential on a great character.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Avenant wrote:
As far as story structure goes, The Cell Saga is incredible.
Meh, I wouldn't say incredible can really describe a Saga that's most built on fluff.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Avenant wrote:
Meh, I wouldn't say incredible can really describe a Saga that's most built on fluff.
I would respectfully disagree and argue that it's built on revenge and nostalgia. The idea that Goku's former escapades have consequences that come back to haunt him is an age-old formula that works. There were so many twists and turns in the Cell Saga that I was kept interested when I was 13 and still enjoy reading it today. But maybe that's just me!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Avenant wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Avenant wrote:
I would respectfully disagree and argue that it's built on revenge and nostalgia. The idea that Goku's former escapades have consequences that come back to haunt him is an age-old formula that works. There were so many twists and turns in the Cell Saga that I was kept interested when I was 13 and still enjoy reading it today. But maybe that's just me!
When I say built on fluff, I mean as in when you really think about it: The majority of the saga was entirely pointless.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Avenant wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Meh, I wouldn't say incredible can really describe a Saga that's most built on fluff.
When I say built on fluff, I mean as in when you really think about it: The majority of the saga was entirely pointless.
Which is every saga though. They'res nothing wrong with that. Seeing failure is just as important as seeing success.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Avenant wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Meh, I wouldn't say incredible can really describe a Saga that's most built on fluff.
If you take in to account the Majin Buu Saga and onward, sure, it's pointless. But I look at it as the almost-end of the series that Toriyama wanted it to be. With that, so many things come to pass because of the Cell Saga that it's all worthwhile, in my opinion.

- Piccolo becomes one with Kami, returning to his true form.
- Gohan takes over the mantle after Goku "finally" dies.
- Vegeta finally connects to the Earth through his relationship with Trunks (albeit, it's arguably not developed enough by this point, but he's become a much different person by this time).
- A major villain from the past, Red Ribbon, returns for a major act of revenge and is ultimately destroyed.
- Cell, the ultimate villain genetically composed of all of Goku and company's former foes, puts them to the ultimate test. This is a major one for me, considering Cell's concept is huge in it's envisioning.
- The Cell Games are a huge call back to the Tenkaichi Boudokai that made the series popular.

All of these things made for a perfect series end. The only thing that lessens their value, in my opinion, is the continuation of the series, which wasn't originally intended on Toriyama's part. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Majin Buu saga immensely and am having at least a little fun with Super. But the way I see it, from a writing perspective, is that the Cell Saga was the almost perfect ending to the series.