Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Doctor. » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:32 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Transformations were a mistake.
Depends. Transformations with drawbacks are always cool.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:40 am

ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:I don't think Chichi deserves the hate she has gotten over the years, but I understand why so many would find her unlikable. Besides the flanderization her character suffered in the anime and that being what most from the West were exposed to, her shtick is something we often encounter in real life too. Goku and the others are so outlandish that we can't really draw parallels with something from our day to day experiences, but overbearing, pushy and strict parents are something many are familiar with.
We are watching DB FOR the big fights, so of course the nagging mother pushing for her child to not fight and practically looking down on her husband for doing so is bound to rub fans the wrong way.
Be that as it may, had she been portrayed a little more sensibly, she would've garnered more sympathy rather than ire. Plenty of fans have shifted from "what a shrew" to "actually, now that I've grown up, she was the more reasonable of the two". I don't really agree with the notion that she is a misunderstood parent. Misunderstood character, yes, but as far as parenting goes, she is better than Goku only because what she focuses on isn't life threatening, but her attitude in general isn't what I'd consider good parenting. She represents a very negative stereotype (education mama trope ) and while putting it in a comical way might take some of the edge off, it still isn't very flattering.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:47 am

Michsi wrote:
ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:I don't think Chichi deserves the hate she has gotten over the years, but I understand why so many would find her unlikable. Besides the flanderization her character suffered in the anime and that being what most from the West were exposed to, her shtick is something we often encounter in real life too. Goku and the others are so outlandish that we can't really draw parallels with something from our day to day experiences, but overbearing, pushy and strict parents are something many are familiar with.
We are watching DB FOR the big fights, so of course the nagging mother pushing for her child to not fight and practically looking down on her husband for doing so is bound to rub fans the wrong way.
Be that as it may, had she been portrayed a little more sensibly, she would've garnered more sympathy rather than ire. Plenty of fans have shifted from "what a shrew" to "actually, now that I've grown up, she was the more reasonable of the two". I don't really agree with the notion that she is a misunderstood parent. Misunderstood character, yes, but as far as parenting goes, she is better than Goku only because what she focuses on isn't life threatening, but her attitude in general isn't what I'd consider good parenting. She represents a very negative stereotype (education mama trope ) and while putting it in a comical way might take some of the edge off, it still isn't very flattering.
I wouldn't count on it, at least to any big degree. It doesn't matter if someone is sensible. Goku is the protagonist of a fighting manga. Anyone who disagrees or comes between him and his goal is pretty much going to be disliked. It always happens. In Breaking Bad, for some reason, people hated Skylar for criticizing Walt's choices. Walt is the protagonist and the one we're meant to empathize with. DB isn't a story about parenting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:36 am

I really liked Vegeta's new form.
Mainly because of the aura, which is very beautiful. Maybe she got out of '' nothing, '' but at least she had a concept of '' break the shell, '' just like UI Goku.
And in the end, it was useful, more than a few previous transformations.

I'm talking about this because I realize that in this forum, a lot of people do not like Vegeta's Beyond Blue for several reasons (I can not tell exactly whether it's because of the visual or because it popped up suddenly)

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:39 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote:I really liked Vegeta's new form.
Mainly because of the aura, which is very beautiful. Maybe she got out of '' nothing, '' but at least she had a concept of '' break the shell, '' just like UI Goku.
And in the end, it was useful, more than a few previous transformations.

I'm talking about this because I realize that in this forum, a lot of people do not like Vegeta's Beyond Blue for several reasons (I can not tell exactly whether it's because of the visual or because it popped up suddenly)
My problem with this form is the way he obtain it but other than that I like this form mainly because the aura which is very beautiful and the color of his hair looks good.

OmegaZenki

Post by OmegaZenki » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:01 pm

I hate Android 17. Undeserving of the spotlight he got. Beloved chars like Piccolo, Krillin, Tien etc could have used that spotlight.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:11 pm

I hate the power up they gave to Android 17 in the TOP. I think I already said it, but I hate it a lot. It doesn't make sense. I don't mind of him getting much stronger than before, that's fine. I'm also fine of him at least surpassing SSJ3 by a lot, but still way inferior to God form (at least that's what the manga seems to refer, for now though...). But I don't approve of him being SSJB level, and there are even feats that put him above Golden Frieza! Above Hit! Even Kaioken X20 SSJB Goku! I mean come on! That's way too much, and the writers seem to overpowering him even further as the episodes progress. I hope that's not the same in the manga, please.

Another thing I hate the most is, that Piccolo was eliminated before Android 18. I wish it would happen the other way round. It would be cool seeing Piccolo with the 5 top guys fighting Anilaza even if he gets eliminated in the end. I would have also liked to see a Piccolo - Android 17 team up, given their fight in the Cell arc long ago, it would be fantastic seeing these two working together to defeat an enemy. But no. They obviously have to stick Android 18 to the ring every time... Not to mention Piccolo got eliminated in the most embarassing way.

I'm pretty sure both androids are overpowered in this arc, and I don't like it one bit.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:43 pm

ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:
ABED wrote:We are watching DB FOR the big fights, so of course the nagging mother pushing for her child to not fight and practically looking down on her husband for doing so is bound to rub fans the wrong way.
I wouldn't count on it, at least to any big degree. It doesn't matter if someone is sensible. Goku is the protagonist of a fighting manga. Anyone who disagrees or comes between him and his goal is pretty much going to be disliked. It always happens. In Breaking Bad, for some reason, people hated Skylar for criticizing Walt's choices. Walt is the protagonist and the one we're meant to empathize with. DB isn't a story about parenting.
Doesn't matter, you don't turn off your capacity for empathy just because you watch a show that's all about the fights. Modern DB is really doubling down on the whole 'Goku is selfish and not a great family man' bit, but Chichi's own eccentricity balances that out so you kinda see them as made for each other in that regard rather than feel sorry for her.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Grimlock wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Transformations were a mistake.
I'll rephrase that to reflect what I would say it is an unpopular opinion but: too many transformations is/were a mistake.
I agree. I would even go as far as to say that Goku and Gohan should have been the only two characters to achieve SSJ with the latter being the only one to get SSJ2.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Michsi wrote:
ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Doesn't matter, you don't turn off your capacity for empathy just because you watch a show that's all about the fights. Modern DB is really doubling down on the whole 'Goku is selfish and not a great family man' bit, but Chichi's own eccentricity balances that out so you kinda see them as made for each other in that regard rather than feel sorry for her.
Of course it matters. People watch it for the fights and we know they are going to, so whether she is right or not is purely a distraction from what is drawing the viewer to the story. I don’t care for chichi and Goku as a couple. He’s not romantic and her entire view of marriage seems like she got it from media as opposed to actually being in love.

As for only Goku and Gohan being the only ssj - no. If only two achieve it, the better choice is vegeta.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:20 pm

I think Helles is ugly as fuck. Don't know why there are so many hentais about her, she is horrendous. There are tons of hotter characters like Caulifla, Kale, Kefla, Bulma etc...
Get Fucked, C_unt

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:22 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:I think Helles is ugly as fuck. Don't know why there are so many hentais about her, she is horrendous. There are tons of hotter characters like Caulifla, Kale, Kefla, Bulma etc...
Is she that popular enough for those? Damn. :shock:

I agree though... she looks weird to me.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:25 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:I think Helles is ugly as fuck. Don't know why there are so many hentais about her, she is horrendous. There are tons of hotter characters like Caulifla, Kale, Kefla, Bulma etc...

Yeah, if you go to r/dbr34 she's on every damn page. Such a turn-off
Get Fucked, C_unt

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:

Yeah, if you go to r/dbr34 she's on every damn page. Such a turn-off
Same here. I don’t like Kale at all but I think she’s more attractive than the GoD who’s supposed to be all about beauty

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:40 pm

I like Helles design but the lip thing is weird and I find Kale and Sanka Ku more prettier than her.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:38 pm

I adore the Great Saiyaman stuff at the beginning of the Buu arc.

I didn't think this was an unpopular opinion but a lot of the people I talked to recently seemed to unanimously say that it was terrible.

Weird.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:54 pm

GamerSkull wrote:I adore the Great Saiyaman stuff at the beginning of the Buu arc.

I didn't think this was an unpopular opinion but a lot of the people I talked to recently seemed to unanimously say that it was terrible.

Weird.
The great saiyaman stuff was the best part in the Buu arc.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:15 pm

ABED wrote:Sabat's voice is VERY distinctive. Even his normal voice stands out in a crowd. If you were watching a show and a random commercial came on, would you not immediately recognize his voice? And what about Goku does Schemmel not get?
He still has some of his scripts rewritten.

For example, in the first episode of Super, there's a scene where Goku talks about training for future threats and that it's all centered around simply preparing for the future.

In the FUNi version, he mentions how he has to keep training to keep his loved ones safe. Is it really necessary to do such a rewrite?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:48 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:Sabat's voice is VERY distinctive. Even his normal voice stands out in a crowd. If you were watching a show and a random commercial came on, would you not immediately recognize his voice? And what about Goku does Schemmel not get?
He still has some of his scripts rewritten.

For example, in the first episode of Super, there's a scene where Goku talks about training for future threats and that it's all centered around simply preparing for the future.

In the FUNi version, he mentions how he has to keep training to keep his loved ones safe. Is it really necessary to do such a rewrite?
Okay, he's not a great writer, but this is about his performance.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:53 pm

Power Levels, Power Scalling and Power Levels Logic were a mistake.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.