Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Death Note isn't better written. It's awful. It goes on twice as long as it should. The characters aren't interesting and instead of being intelligent, make a bunch of stupid moves. And the supposed great battle of wits doesn't come off as two brilliant minds as much as it comes off as one man's characters making the most absurdly correct deductions because the writer is writing both characters. It's like watching someone play chess with themselves. The only thing that might make a Death Note palatable is if they let Shane Black adapt it.

You keep saying the characters in the Cell arc are doing stupid things just so the plot can move forward, but they are actually acting in character. Goku and Co. aren't out to save the world. That's not their raison d'etre. They are out for a good fight, just like they always have been and when you understand that core aspect of their character, it makes perfect sense that they would let Dr. Gero complete the cyborgs even with advanced warning.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:38 pm

I'm not turning this into a DeathNote vs DB debate, dear lord.

Your that salty that you want to bring my opinions from other topics into this? I'm not running in circles again with you, I've been over many examples when characters did things because Toriyama simply didn't care about logic, like the final battle in the Buu arc.

No more derailing this thread, you can have the last word, have fun.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 pm

You keep calling me salty? Why? I'm not angry, I'm simply bringing up something I think it is relevant to the discussion.

We're not actually derailing this thread.

The reason we go in circles is because you don't understand the story at all. I still don't know if you were messing with me in the heroism debate, either. Now it seems like you were being earnest. In that case, you don't understand the type of story this is. These aren't western superheroes out to save the world. They won't let it end, but their main goal isn't to save the day. If you understand it and see it through the correct lens, then their goals make sense and their means of achieving their goals make sense as well, ergo they aren't acting stupid. That's actually an unpopular opinion because more often than not, I see people say how stupid the characters act when they do something reckless like let the bad guy go.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 pm

ABED wrote: That's actually an unpopular opinion because more often than not, I see people say how stupid the characters act when they do something reckless like let the bad guy go.

Understandable, a lot of us don't understand the story like you do.

ABED is truly on a level us misguided fans could only hope to reach. I am staying on topic aren't I? Actually yes I think my last comment was on point.

Another unpopular opinion, Dragon Ball actually has flaws.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Ribrianne doesn't deserve the hate. The criticisms I come across most often, at least the way I see it, aren't really that legitimate.

She's based on the magical girl genre - so what? Dragon Ball itself started out being based on something else.

She has a lot of screentime - so what? Everyone complains about "too much Gokū", so what's wrong with someone else getting screentime? And why does the older cast need more screentime than it's already gotten? I don't even dislike those characters, but I'd much rather see all the new ones than those that have already served their purpose in the narrative.*

She's "annoying" - so what (although I disagree)? Is there a need for every character to have a personality as "likable" as the main characters? I like variety, so having less "likable" characters is something that actually appeals to me because it's different.

I'm sure there are legitimate criticisms against her as a character, but most of what I see seems to boil down to "I don't like her, get her away."

*Not saying the older cast can't be reutilized well (e.g. Freeza) - it's when they're only there for the sake of being there and don't do anything particularly interesting, which I suppose is rather subjective. I guess I'm just tired of the Earthling and Gohan comments I see so often.
This post sums my problem with this mediocre character that had unneeded screentime viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40428&p=1420291#p1420291 it doesn't help that she was shown in a lot promotion yet she is a weakling,hell she didn't land a punch to someone,couldn't they had her ring out #18 or someone in that team.
Mostly active on discord.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:18 pm

The gr wrote:This post sums my problem with this mediocre character that had unneeded screentime viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40428&p=1420291#p1420291 it doesn't help that she was shown in a lot promotion yet she is a weakling,hell she didn't land a punch to someone,couldn't they had her ring out #18 or someone in that team.
See, that's a legitimate criticism like what I alluded to. Props to Asura.

Even so, though I understand the viewpoint, but I have to say that Ribrianne's vague idea of love isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think she's intended to be a one-track gag character. DB has quite a few of those, and while I can understand how the TOP giving one or two of them a lot of screentime for the sake of the joke can be irritating, I personally would still take that over the Earthlings doing the same things they always do.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:49 pm

I know most people hate the fan service of bringing thing's from the past into Super (SSJ berserk Kale), but I really want to see the oozaru brought back in some way to remind everyone that saiyans are still space monkey's. My opinion on SSJ4 is conflicted but I loved the golden oozaru in GT.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:44 am

These two are the best characters in Dragon Ball, and a spin-off should have been written about their forbidden love.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 am

Cipher wrote:These two are the best characters in Dragon Ball, and a spin-off should have been written about their forbidden love.

The name of the show should be "Bear With Me"

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 am

Cipher wrote:These two are the best characters in Dragon Ball, and a spin-off should have been written about their forbidden love.

I'm more concerned about there power scaling.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:08 am

Personally, I have Bear Couple somewhere between Golden Freeza and Mauve Freeza.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Did they achieve that level while chasing a monkey or kicking a puppy?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:49 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Did they achieve that level while chasing a monkey or kicking a puppy?
Killing Kittens. Keen Kittens
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:06 am

I actually like Sean Schemmel's King Kai voice; actually preferring it over his Ocean dub actor, Don Brown (though I like him as King Kai as well, make no mistake), and it actually sounds like he actually gives a shit compared to his seiyuu.
Don't use Formula 1 Race-cars to chase Deadly Androids

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:11 am

ABED wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
ABED wrote:He doesn't have any viewpoint. He's just a creature bent on destruction because that was what he is created for. He's neither good nor evil. I'm going with the original origin, not the retconned origin.
he wasnt really created though. He was always a rampaging eldritch abomination though, thats how I see him
He was created. The manga originally said he was created.
1. Saiyans as a whole have been underutilized: look at how superman has used kryptons technology, history, enemies etc. to make new arcs, I feel theres more that can be done with the race the main hero comes from, and raditz particularly was done no justice.

2. The fact there isnt a war for control of the universe started between rival factions with king kold and freeza gone baffles me.

3. Tien's alien origins are not utlized and this infuriates me
1. Raditz's tenure while short, was very memorable.
2. Even if there was, why would it impact Earth?
3. Why would that infuriate you? It's not part of the original manga.
It infuriates me on grounds that the whole 'he cannot access most of his power and his race came from another dimension. That opens up a whole lot of potential stories about him uncovering his history, his 'lost powers' and why they left. That could make for a cool arc of universe invading threats. Think a world invasion by an army of Tien's people. I could see that making for an amazing arc.

and why wouldnt a univere war impact earth with only 22 planets and the people who killed frieza being on said planet?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:37 am

Tenshinhan isn't a main character. He's such a peripheral character, I don't see why an invasion of his people would make for such an amazing story.
and why wouldnt a univere war impact earth with only 22 planets and the people who killed frieza being on said planet?
22 inhabited planets and given how weak they are even in comparison to Freeza, they wouldn't be much of a threat.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:00 pm

ProtoTrunks76 wrote:I actually like Sean Schemmel's King Kai voice; actually preferring it over his Ocean dub actor, Don Brown (though I like him as King Kai as well, make no mistake), and it actually sounds like he actually gives a shit compared to his seiyuu.
Jouji Yanami was very ill recording his lines for Super so thats not a fair comparison.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:03 pm

That's an extremely insanely UTTERLY UNFAIR STATEMENT Proto Trunks. Poor Joji Yanami wanted to do Kaio and the Narrator so much despite his health and old age catching up to him. He loves the roles and Dragon Ball and kept on trucking despite all odds. PLEASE dont say "He didnt give a shit" because he does. Poor man.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:06 pm

I don't mean any real disreapect, or have any ill will towards anybody behind the series. I shouldn't be posting at 4 am my time
Don't use Formula 1 Race-cars to chase Deadly Androids

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:37 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:Jouji Yanami was very ill recording his lines for Super so thats not a fair comparison.
He didn't recovered yet? As much as I got used with the New Narrator/King Kai voice, I wish Yanami came back to voice acting in the series.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?