Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:01 pm

PFM18 wrote: Yeah I don't really care what they have to say on the matter. I do find it to be embarrassingly bad when compared to the other three series, honestly. When I recommend that people get into Dragon Ball I tell them specifically to never watch GT because it will sour you to the series. The Baby arc is pretty decent, but the rest is just downright awful.

You don't have to take offense to it, It is just the way I see things.
In fact i made a website about DB as a class project on university and i skipped DBS in it only mentioning DB, DBZ and DBGT and my teacher didn't say anything despite actually being DB fan lol. Didn't seem to care about Super. I even got good grade! :lol:
It wouldn't be a surprise that older people are more likely to favor GT while younger fans tend to favor Super especially when they mostly do not give GT a chance because other people tell them to never watch it.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:06 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
PFM18 wrote: Yeah I don't really care what they have to say on the matter. I do find it to be embarrassingly bad when compared to the other three series, honestly. When I recommend that people get into Dragon Ball I tell them specifically to never watch GT because it will sour you to the series. The Baby arc is pretty decent, but the rest is just downright awful.

In fact i made a website about DB as a class project on university and i skipped DBS in it only mentioning DB, DBZ and DBGT and my teacher didn't say anything despite actually being DB fan lol. Didn't seem to care about Super. I even got good grade! :lol:
It wouldn't be a surprise that older people are more likely to favor GT while younger fans tend to favor Super especially when they mostly do not give GT a chance because other people tell them to never watch it.
Hahahahahahahahahaha
GT Fighter

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:

You go to university but call your professors "teachers"?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:20 pm

The point that younger viewers favour Super is salient. These types of fans don't really know anything of the excitement of scouring the internet for any available information on DBGT when all we had to go on was art from the East and some stray copies of 'Final Bout' that did the rounds. It seemed incredibly exotic at the time.

I also find it hard to say GT is an 'embarrassment to the franchise' when a number of its features were excellent: for my money, GT has the best original BGM in the series, so it has that going for it at the very least.
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Cetra wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:

Well they still teach so...Also just couldn't find english version of a word used for polish "teachers" on university. Google translate says "lecturer" but this word is honestly unknown to me so i stayed with "teacher". Proffesor isn't a job in this case, it's a title so i didn't use it either.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:53 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Cetra wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
Well they still teach so...Also just couldn't find english version of a word used for polish "teachers" on university. Google translate says "lecturer" but this word is honestly unknown to me so i stayed with "teacher". Proffesor isn't a job in this case, it's a title so i didn't use it either.
My professors definitely were not employed as "teacher" being their job description. Lecturer is actually correct ("Dozent" in German). But most of the time you use professor anyway.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Of the three "canon" DB series, DBZ is the worst.

Change my mind.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:24 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:Of the three "canon" DB series, DBZ is the worst.

Change my mind.
Care to elaborate on why DBS>DBZ?

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:17 am

1. GT is forgivable and never was offensive. :)
2. Yamcha is one of the best if not the best character in the franchise in terms of personality and his abilities are fun. I am a Yamcha fan if you hadn't gotten the hint. :lol:
3. Puar is likeable. :D
4. Goku and Vegeta always together with no non-saiyans involve is now stale and boring.
5. Vegeta's popularity is confusing and also underserving.
6. Human characters are awesome even with no transformations.
7. Funimation is better when not trying to reference or imitate the fandom especially if it involves Team Four Star material and Yamcha sucks jokes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:46 am

Why is Vegeta's confusing and what I believe you mean undeserved?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:16 am

I think super saiyan looked better when it still had hair instead of bananas

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:29 am

I love the great saiyaman episodes in DBZ
GT Fighter

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:53 am

Change my mind.
Go watch Kai.
Night Owl wrote:The point that younger viewers favour Super is salient. These types of fans don't really know anything of the excitement of scouring the internet for any available information on DBGT when all we had to go on was art from the East and some stray copies of 'Final Bout' that did the rounds.
The good old days. :mrgreen: In the early 2000s GT was this legend among the fans I used to hang around as we didn't have anything to go on and of course there was the whole AF thing as well. Good times.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:30 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:I love the great saiyaman episodes in DBZ
Those are the best episodes in entire DBZ series.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:34 pm

Really? I remember GT never having a stellar reputation even in the days where the only way to get the series was tape trading.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:41 pm

ABED wrote:Really? I remember GT never having a stellar reputation even in the days where the only way to get the series was tape trading.
We didn't know what GT was so all we had to go on were leaked pictures and rumors. A picture of Ssj4 without any context or information gets people talking. :thumbup:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:47 pm

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:Really? I remember GT never having a stellar reputation even in the days where the only way to get the series was tape trading.
We didn't know what GT was so all we had to go on were leaked pictures and rumors. A picture of Ssj4 without any context or information gets people talking. :thumbup:
As I recall, we went off what other people who had seen the fansubs thought and the reputation was pretty much the same as it was when GT officially aired - people didn't like it.

Clearly our recollections of that time are very different.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Change my mind.
I wouldn't say DBZ is the worst, but its pacing pales in comparison to DB and DBS for the most part. It's one of the reasons I've become so pro-Kai in recent years and whenever I want to revisit this part of the story I often find myself choosing Kai over DBZ.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:57 pm

That is unpopular for sure, but...

Chapter 39 of Super is heavily overhated and still much better than what anime gave.

Roshi dodging Jiren was stupid but this was a better way for Goku to taste UI than being blasted by genki dama which was garbage.
Kefla was way too weak (considering how strong Kale was) and should've lasted a bit longer, but at least Gohan got formidable opponent instead of her being destroyed by Goku which was generic and boring.

Kurakaio

Post by Kurakaio » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:18 pm

PFM18 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:Perhaps SS has a negative connotation.
I think it’s more so that “SSJ” is a much more distinctive form of initialism than “SS”.
This is the reason I have always used SSJ instead of SS. When I think of "SS" I think of "SS Anne" or "SS" being used before the names of boats be it fictional boats or real-life boats. I want the abbreviation to be more distinctive than using "SS." It just so happens that the Japanese language gives us a good way of making it distinctive because of the way "Saiyan" is pronounced in that language.
Kurakaio wrote: Dragon Ball Super >= Dragon Ball Z > Dragon Ball GT= Dragon Ball.
I do find this strange, do you mind elaborating? I can understand the DBS>=DBZ thing, I more or less feel the same way except the two switched. I think DBS and DBZ are very similar in quality with DBZ having a slight edge but DB is easily better written and a better story than those two. To put GT and DB as equals is mind boggling to me, because GT to me, is horrendously written and is an embarrassment to the franchise and DB is the best series in the franchise. I would appreciate if you could give some further incite into your viewpoint because I have trouble understanding it.

Also, how can you rank Z when you have very few memories of it?
Dragon Ball was the last series had seen. Yes, I watched GT before I even knew Dragon Ball existed. Dragon Ball was a slog to get through for the most part. The red ribbon army arc, was so boring. It dragged on for what felt like forever. I don't dislike Dragon Ball, but except for the tournaments and the Piccolo saga, I felt it wasn't very good.

In regards to GT, yes it wasn't very good either. The first arc was terrible for the most part. I quite enjoyed the Baby arc though, and... Nuova Shenron and SSJ4 Gogeta were cool too. GT was short enough to where I didn't feel like anything dragged on for too long, barring the first arc. Though the worst was probably Super 17. Not because it was that bad, but because I forget Super 17 even exists 90% of the time. The arc was that short.

I'd probably have a higher opinion of the original Dragon Ball hadn't I seen it earlier, but eh. Some of the jokes are funny, but most are just eh, and since the show up till the Piccolo arc is pretty much solely comedy oriented it didn't help that I didn't find it very funny. Though I do find Super funnier than Dragon Ball ever was so Idk.