Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Zephyr » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Kid Buu wrote:I can understand not liking the series after a certain point, but to say something shouldn't exist just because you don't enjoy it comes across as rather selfish.
I think that's most of the time an expression of where the most beneficial place to end it would have been, in an artistic and storytelling sense. I don't see anything wrong with that. I can see arguments for ending it at Freeza and Cell, but I ultimately like Buu enough that I think the actual ending is the ideal one.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:I can understand not liking the series after a certain point, but to say something shouldn't exist just because you don't enjoy it comes across as rather selfish.
I think that's most of the time an expression of where the most beneficial place to end it would have been, in an artistic and storytelling sense. I don't see anything wrong with that. I can see arguments for ending it at Freeza and Cell, but I ultimately like Buu enough that I think the actual ending is the ideal one.
I cans see the idea of over-saturation and believing a series overstayed its welcome, but usually I see it said for different reasons. Reasons like "If it ended with with Cell, Gohan would still be the strongest in the series." That type of reasoning bewilders me.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Reasons like "If it ended with with Cell, Gohan would still be the strongest in the series." That type of reasoning bewilders me.
Yeah, I think that kind of stuff is dumb.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:08 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I mean, Super's definitely got something going for it, otherwise those people constantly screeching about how it is terrible and the worst thing ever and pointless and childhood-destroying wouldn't have tuned in every single week to gouge their eyes and ears out with such a terrible product.
If nothing else, Super's got the Dragon Ball name slapped onto it, so the novelty of "a new Dragon Ball series" can keep even the most serious detractors coming back.
I just can't get behind the mentality of watching every single episode of a show you hate, even if it is related to one you do like. Especially considering that Super is literally 131 episodes long.
Not just "hate watching" that is wasting their time but discussing the show too and then constantly going on about how "bad" it is, all that amounts to time too all on a show they "hate".

Then you have the upmost selfish people saying stuff like "I hope the show stays dead never comes back" etc no one is forcing them to watch the show at all like f**king hell. I dislike GT a lot but even if 1 person in the entire world liked it, then GT is worth it I wouldn't want it erased form existence cuz that would be unfair on that one person. Incidentally I don't talk GT much or even go near GT threads that much why? Because it is only natural for people to avoid something they don't like and I don't want to bring threads down with inevitable negativity.

But for DBS can't even go into any positive threads without the same old people bringing in their shitty negativity in one way or another.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:47 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:
Zephyr wrote: If nothing else, Super's got the Dragon Ball name slapped onto it, so the novelty of "a new Dragon Ball series" can keep even the most serious detractors coming back.
I just can't get behind the mentality of watching every single episode of a show you hate, even if it is related to one you do like. Especially considering that Super is literally 131 episodes long.
Not just "hate watching" that is wasting their time but discussing the show too and then constantly going on about how "bad" it is, all that amounts to time too all on a show they "hate".

Then you have the upmost selfish people saying stuff like "I hope the show stays dead never comes back" etc no one is forcing them to watch the show at all like f**king hell. I dislike GT a lot but even if 1 person in the entire world liked it, then GT is worth it I wouldn't want it erased form existence cuz that would be unfair on that one person. Incidentally I don't talk GT much or even go near GT threads that much why? Because it is only natural for people to avoid something they don't like and I don't want to bring threads down with inevitable negativity.

But for DBS can't even go into any positive threads without the same old people bringing in their shitty negativity in one way or another.
But if GT never existed, that person wouldn't know to miss it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:18 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: I really can't see how anyone could put any arc in Super above Z. Even if people disliked the Buu arc, it still fit the needed structural flow that was consistent with the Z arcs while most of Super's felt rushed, to artificial/pre-planned for marketing's sake in its endings. I think its pretty absurd that someone could judge arcs with no story whatsoever as superior to those with them. I definitely agree that character moments in Z were more weighted for the character arcs they ended or furthered, as opposed to the novelty "moments" in Super where something done just might look cute that it happened, like the Father-Son Galick Gun (even though Trunks learning that and the FF out of no where is not questioned) hence why they're just "moments" to appeal, but no substance for real impact.
I mean have you watched or read the Buu saga recently?
Its full of asspulls,retcons and inconsistencies both character and story wise,as far as the manga goes as soon as the Z fighters leave the tournament you would have trouble finding a chapter(outside of ones purely fighting based)that does not have one or multiple of those.

Speaking of no substance and just 'moments' to appeal,the Buu saga is just that.
The only thing of substance is Satan's and Vegeta's character development(the only 2 characters out of the important character of the old cast to act in character in this arc) and other concepts of it such as the portara and the Kaioshin(Super made better use of those concept than the Buu saga ever did).

The Buu saga being such a mess is what allowed Super to be such a mess as well,being the final dbz saga showed that people will eat such a mess up and accept it.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:24 pm

ABED wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Kid Buu wrote: I just can't get behind the mentality of watching every single episode of a show you hate, even if it is related to one you do like. Especially considering that Super is literally 131 episodes long.

But if GT never existed, that person wouldn't know to miss it.
I mean, if they wanted more Dragon Ball content and GT were never created, they'd miss it. They just didn't know it would've been called GT.

I too think it's silly to wish a show never existed. It's extremely easy to forget GT or Super exist if you don't like them. The original story has its own feel with a solid beginning and ending. GT and Super, regardless of whether someone likes or dislikes them, are their own things and can easily just be ignored and not harm the reputation of the original story.

The only time I can understand someone being upset is if something during the original story is executed poorly. Then it can affect your overall view of that specific story. But a forced add on like GT or Super? No. I feel the same about the newer Star Wars movies. Are they good? No. Do they affect the original trilogy? No. So just ignore them. Unless I was hoping they'd recapture the feel of the originals, in which case I was fooling myself.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:35 pm

They wouldn't miss GT, they would miss DB. That's okay. It's fine to miss a show you enjoyed. I and others like for there to be a proper ending. I get what you're saying about being able to ignore it, but it's still DB and your point applies to more than just GT. "Just ignore it if you don't like it" isn't justification for stuff continually being brought back after lying dormant. If it ended well, then I wish people would let it go. I for one like episode 8, but do wish there hadn't even been the prequels. The story in those movies does affect my views of the events in subsequent movies.
It's extremely easy to forget GT or Super exist if you don't like them
You can ignore them, but you can't will yourself to forget.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:41 pm

That's the thing though, there is a proper ending. New content doesn't devalue old content unless you allow it to. When I watch DB and DBZ I never once think about GT and Super. Because there's no need to. DB and DBZ weren't created with them in mind, so they're not leading up to anything. They have a proper ending and that ending can be enjoyed just the same as it was years ago.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Forte224 wrote:That's the thing though, there is a proper ending. New content doesn't devalue old content unless you allow it to. When I watch DB and DBZ I never once think about GT and Super. Because there's no need to. DB and DBZ weren't created with them in mind, so they're not leading up to anything. They have a proper ending and that ending can be enjoyed just the same as it was years ago.
Fine, and that's you. I can't do that. I can't help thoughts that come into my head unconsciously. Your point about leading to anything isn't all that meaningful given that Toriyama is a pantser. He didn't write any of it with much in mind. He made it up as he went along. Goku wasn't originally intended to be an alien.

Emotions are gut reactions. I have no control over whether I enjoy something the same as I did years ago. You can control your actions, not your emotions. And story points introduced later will color my perception of earlier material.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:51 pm

Out of curiosity then, is that why you haven't watched Super yet? Because it might affect your opinion of the rest of the series negatively?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Forte224 wrote:Out of curiosity then, is that why you haven't watched Super yet? Because it might affect your opinion of the rest of the series negatively?
Several reasons:
I'm not in the mood for more DB having finished a recent rewatch.
I haven't been happy with the majority of these revivals.
Nothing plot-wise sounds tempting to me.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:03 pm

Whatever wrote:I mean have you watched or read the Buu saga recently? Its full of asspulls,retcons and inconsistencies both character and story wise,as far as the manga goes as soon as the Z fighters leave the tournament you would have trouble finding a chapter(outside of ones purely fighting based)that does not have one or multiple of those.

Sounds like an exaggeration in comparison. Full of inconsistencies and retcons? Not to Super's standards equally. The plot may have been more situational than the former but it made enough sense for a clear transition. Goku comes back for a day, they enter the tournament for a fun reunion. they set up Goku & Vegeta to fight again, they encounter Shin, Piccolo points out who he is, the Spopovich stuff happens, Gohan is scolded for being weaker, they learn about Babidi, Vegeta is annoyed with Gohan fumbling on Dabura, then Vegeta goes Majin and henceforth. A lamens summary can still give the consistency it had to make it passable. It never felt any different to me than how the structure of the Android arc was, and that arc had a lot of beneficial retcons. Super couldn't even retcon its own mistakes to pick itself up.
Whatever wrote:The only thing of substance is Satan's and Vegeta's character development(the only 2 characters out of the important character of the old cast to act in character in this arc) and other concepts of it such as the portara and the Kaioshin(Super made better use of those concept than the Buu saga ever did).
Okay, and in Super the only characters that parallel this level of develop is say Gohan and Beerus. Vegeta was already a good guy anyway so him relating anything on Cabba or Bulma was not new atonement. Goku was also equally frustrating if not more ignorant in Super than he was in the Buu arc. But how did Super use the potara's better? They're the same just with added information, with the time limit that was used as an opening to shove in Trunks.
Whatever wrote:The Buu saga being such a mess is what allowed Super to be such a mess as well,being the final dbz saga showed that people will eat such a mess up and accept it.
Thats debatable on your own preferential structure of events. The Buu arc at least had its writing fumbles picked up when they occurred, Super just let whatever happened stay as it is, then move on to something else and repeated that.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:03 pm

ABED wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Out of curiosity then, is that why you haven't watched Super yet? Because it might affect your opinion of the rest of the series negatively?
Several reasons:
Ah, ok. That makes sense.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:52 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: Sounds like an exaggeration in comparison. Full of inconsistencies and retcons? Not to Super's standards equally. The plot may have been more situational than the former but it made enough sense for a clear transition. Goku comes back for a day, they enter the tournament for a fun reunion. they set up Goku & Vegeta to fight again, they encounter Shin, Piccolo points out who he is, the Spopovich stuff happens, Gohan is scolded for being weaker, they learn about Babidi, Vegeta is annoyed with Gohan fumbling on Dabura, then Vegeta goes Majin and henceforth. A lamens summary can still give the consistency it had to make it passable. It never felt any different to me than how the structure of the Android arc was, and that arc had a lot of beneficial retcons. Super couldn't even retcon its own mistakes to pick itself up.
Your summary is missing the most important part,which is the characters being themselves,most of the plot structure worked in the buu arc because characters contradicted themselves and not acting as themselves.
For example in the Cell arc characters did some stupid things but what they did was in character for the most part even if it needed a little strectching.
Okay, and in Super the only characters that parallel this level of develop is say Gohan and Beerus. Vegeta was already a good guy anyway so him relating anything on Cabba or Bulma was not new atonement.
Roshi and Vegeta developed in new way in Super,even Freeza did,character development does not meaning doing a 180*,the reason i mentioned Satan and Vegeta specifically is because those 2 are the only 2 important characters that develop and managed to avoid the out of character syndrome that plaqued every other good guy in this arc,Goku,Gotenks,Gohan and even Piccolo who was not important were not in consistent with their character for the most part.
But how did Super use the potara's better? They're the same just with added information, with the time limit that was used as an opening to shove in Trunks
Outside of covering that one plothole with the time limit that was there in the buu arc,the portara were used by the main villain to power up,which its more plot relevance than they had in the buu arc.
Thats debatable on your own preferential structure of events. The Buu arc at least had its writing fumbles picked up when they occurred, Super just let whatever happened stay as it is, then move on to something else and repeated that.
If by 'picked up' you mean retconing the the fumbles only to then drop the ball on the retconing as well then yeah,which brings me to my next point.
Goku was also equally frustrating if not more ignorant in Super than he was in the Buu arc.
Ok so first Goku says he is going to go full power and goes ssj2 against Majin Vegeta and states he is serious about stopping him,gets knocked out and goes to the lookout.
Then tells Piccolo about the fusion dance and how its such a shame since he was planning to fuse with Vegeta or Gohan to beat Buu.
Then Goku reveals asspul/retcon ssj3 and that he lied about being serious of stopping Majin Vegeta,maybe he will take out Buu now?
Nope,back to the lookout he talks to Piccolo and he pretty much confirms he could beat Fat Buu with ssj3 but did not because of some jumbles about the new generation taking over which he never brought up before.
So Goku was lying about taking this seriously and contradicted his earlier desire of fusing with Gohan or Vegeta to beat Buu.
But wait it does not stop there,Goku thinks its perfectly fine for a dead person to start the pink gum apocalypse[ but he thinks its not okay for a dead person to stop it.
Only to contradict his own words one final time and return to action and fight Buu.

The majority of those are in a short time(fought Vegeta,went to the lookout,fought Buu and back to the lookout),seriously count how many times Goku contradicted himself and brought things out randomly in this short period of time.
Say what you will about Goku in Super but he never had such a huge characterization and consistency problem as much as Goku did in the Buu saga and i doubt any future version of Goku will ever such a big problem again.And thats only about Goku,i did not even mention the other characters.

Pirina_Fusee

Post by Pirina_Fusee » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:01 am

Probably gonna get yelled at for this but I feel like if Frieza kept his distance he probably could've taken the Androids. They're obviously his superiors in close combat, but from what we actually see of them I see nothing to indicate they've got his raw destructive capacity - they do nothing on the level of, say, the laser whip and certainly not the Death Ball. 16 in particular is hyped up as the strongest apart from Cell, but all we actually see him do is... punch stuff.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:02 am

ABED wrote:
Several reasons:
What was the newest DB thing you saw?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:54 am

Whatever wrote: Your summary is missing the most important part,which is the characters being themselves,most of the plot structure worked in the buu arc because characters contradicted themselves and not acting as themselves. For example in the Cell arc characters did some stupid things but what they did was in character for the most part even if it needed a little strectching.
What examples outside of the increased comedy in the Buu arc has characters acting out of character outside of the situation they're in. Its much worse for characters to act stupid while "in-character" to the point of obliviousness from flanderization. Whats where Super's issues came in.
Whatever wrote:Roshi and Vegeta developed in new way in Super,even Freeza did,character development does not meaning doing a 180*,the reason i mentioned Satan and Vegeta specifically is because those 2 are the only 2 important characters that develop and managed to avoid the out of character syndrome that plaqued every other good guy in this arc,Goku,Gotenks,Gohan and even Piccolo who was not important were not in consistent with their character for the most part.
Freeza definitely was much more fleshed out in Super but he wasn't really anything in his own arc. He was just a static antagonist that lost to the philosophies SS Goku gave him. If Freeza was not brought back for the third time he would have remained as limited as he was in the Namek arc. The traits of just being a spoiled, bratty rich kid was his familial trait prior to this. I also wouldn't say Roshi developed however, he was the same as he was in DB in the TOP, he only just fleshed outside the pervert gag he was reduced to in Z and early Super. Roshi was already a rounded character. Coming out of flanderization is just better writing. Vegeta is debatable, he was at least in character though granted. However saying characters being reduced in an arc is not the same as being out of character. Tenshinhan has been far left in the back-end of the series but he was never out of character. Piccolo was an important character, just weak and had a different role based on the circumstances and the comedy added onto his character is the only flexibility to his personality he's ever had. Its no different for it happening to Vegeta in the BoG arc. Some would say Piccolo even within that has developed him, because unlike his training with Gohan, his training with Gotenks was much more patient and trusting of him, than he was with Gohan. With Gohan he just abused him. With Gotenks he was trying to actually train him to expectations. Gohan however I can't see how he was out of character. Him being older was essentially a new character.
Whatever wrote:Outside of covering that one plothole with the time limit that was there in the buu arc,the portara were used by the main villain to power up,which its more plot relevance than they had in the buu arc.
How is that arc giving more relevance to an item a fault against the prior one they were introduced? The Potaras were essentially a strange asspull in the Buu arc Super ironically legitimized.

Whatever wrote:Ok so first Goku says he is going to go full power and goes ssj2 against Majin Vegeta and states he is serious about stopping him,gets knocked out and goes to the lookout.
Because they were tired and Goku was (legitimately) letting his guard down thinking they ended their fight? He was knocked out while looking for a Senzu. How is that an issue? He still trusted Vegeta after he got him to admit his reasoning.

Whatever wrote:Then Goku reveals asspul/retcon ssj3 and that he lied about being serious of stopping Majin Vegeta,maybe he will take out Buu now?
They addressed that twice in the arc and Goku said it drained him out too much in the mortal realm. To both Piccolo & Vegeta, hence what they argued about before fusing. Yes SS3 was an asspull but they justified it by saying Goku hid it because it was a disadvantage. Where as Trunks can create a spirit bomb, master Mafuba, and create a genki sword out of thin air, not to mention go SS2 with God ki, and none of that was addressed in-universe, let alone plausible. Or Vegeta's SSBE just being him getting a form from thinking about Cabba. Or Caulifla going SS2 randomly. Nothing. We get a contrived out-universe concept just to fit it in with S-cells.

Whatever wrote:Nope,back to the lookout he talks to Piccolo and he pretty much confirms he could beat Fat Buu with ssj3 but did not because of some jumbles about the new generation taking over which he never brought up before.
He did say he was only going there to stall time, and that he saw Goten & Trunks at the tournament only there taking admiration of their potential. It did not come out of no where. He laid hints about that, and he said he was only there for the day. Why would he just mess around and waste the time he had with the other characters? Just because Super Goku would do that doesn't mean its in character.
Whatever wrote:So Goku was lying about taking this seriously and contradicted his earlier desire of fusing with Gohan or Vegeta to beat Buu.
I don't remember him saying that before Super Buu absorbed Gotenks, which was much later than where you claim he did.
Whatever wrote:But wait it does not stop there, Goku thinks its perfectly fine for a dead person to start the pink gum apocalypse[ but he thinks its not okay for a dead person to stop it. Only to contradict his own words one final time and return to action and fight Buu.
How was he the reason for it? All of his eagerness to help the Supreme kai was before they saw Buu, and again his time was higher then. In the end of the arc he was alive again wasn't he so he didn't actually contradict anything, not to mention everyone else was dead with the Earth. Who else could fight Buu then? Everyone else failed.
Whatever wrote:The majority of those are in a short time(fought Vegeta,went to the lookout,fought Buu and back to the lookout),seriously count how many times Goku contradicted himself and brought things out randomly in this short period of time.

You said he claimed certain things all within that part of the arc, which is not true.
Whatever wrote:Say what you will about Goku in Super but he never had such a huge characterization and consistency problem as much as Goku did in the Buu saga and i doubt any future version of Goku will ever such a big problem again.And thats only about Goku,i did not even mention the other characters.
Yet, Goku didn't have any real characterization at all of substance in Super. He was either just being oblivious, self-centered and laughed off whatever fucked up thing happened. Then he had the audacity to claim he didn't forgive anyone that hurt his friends, when his entire team is made up of people who did just that. Goku's character is terrible in Super. I can accept him being a plot device for a situation if he contributes to the tone of a situation for the arc, over him being stupid and oblivious enough to center an entire around his rewards for it.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:18 am

Kid Buu wrote:
ABED wrote:
Several reasons:
What was the newest DB thing you saw?
Resurrection 'F'.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:15 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: What examples outside of the increased comedy in the Buu arc has characters acting out of character outside of the situation they're in. Its much worse for characters to act stupid while "in-character" to the point of obliviousness from flanderization. Whats where Super's issues came in.
Obviously doing something whatever it is stupid or not,its fine as long as its in character,acting out of character to do something stupid is not,which was the problem in the buu arc.
Well i already told you about Goku,Gohan being older does not mean he is a new character in any way and everything about his character once he becomes Ultimate is to the point of flanderization,he claims he wants to kill Buu and yet screws around(which is something he learnt not to do in the cell arc) and even lets Buu fight Gotenks because why not.
Goten and Trunks see Vegeta and Chichi getting killed and then swearing revenge only to act like clowns in the htc for the sake of putting up a show is clearly an issue as well.

Freeza definitely was much more fleshed out in Super but he wasn't really anything in his own arc. He was just a static antagonist that lost to the philosophies SS Goku gave him. If Freeza was not brought back for the third time he would have remained as limited as he was in the Namek arc. The traits of just being a spoiled, bratty rich kid was his familial trait prior to this.
He developed since he worked on his mistakes,with him not being as rash as he was and him putting his ego aside and working with Goku.
I also wouldn't say Roshi developed however, he was the same as he was in DB in the TOP, he only just fleshed outside the pervert gag he was reduced to in Z and early Super. Roshi was already a rounded character. Coming out of flanderization is just better writing. Vegeta is debatable, he was at least in character though granted.
He was already a rounded character before but they expanded on him and developing him further,a character working on his faults and then overcoming them is development itself and there is also the whole being inspired by his students just like he inspired them itself in the beggining.
However saying characters being reduced in an arc is not the same as being out of character. Tenshinhan has been far left in the back-end of the series but he was never out of character.
I never said that.
Piccolo was an important character, just weak and had a different role based on the circumstances and the comedy added onto his character is the only flexibility to his personality he's ever had. Its no different for it happening to Vegeta in the BoG arc. Some would say Piccolo even within that has developed him, because unlike his training with Gohan, his training with Gotenks was much more patient and trusting of him, than he was with Gohan. With Gohan he just abused him. With Gotenks he was trying to actually train him to expectations.

When Goku told Piccolo about the new gen stuff,Piccolo complimented him despite Goku doing the same mistake he did in the Cell arc on an even greater scale and if you remember Piccolo called Goku out for his stupid plan back then,not to mention Goku actually being capable of stopping the threat he and Vegeta started this time around as well.
Piccolo showing more emotion about a rock on the lookout than when he heard his best friend was killed is a problem itself,on top of Toriyama's writing making proactive characters passive when he wants them to not being important as well.
And its not the same as Vegeta in BOG,in BOG the comedy bits Vegeta did was to show his character development,for Piccolo it was flanderization.

He was not important at all,nothing Piccolo did in the Buu arc had any impact on the plot,everything important he had done was either undone or pointless in the end,Gotenks himself had close to 0 bearing on the plot,making Piccolo's efforts wasted on him.

He was training Gohan to meet his expectations as well,he did not need to abuse Goten and Trunks because he was not teaching him to fight but to dance.
Outside of that he played the role of being the straight man to Gotenks since those 2 were a comedy duo,Piccolo pretty much became a joke.
Because they were tired and Goku was (legitimately) letting his guard down thinking they ended their fight? He was knocked out while looking for a Senzu. How is that an issue? He still trusted Vegeta after he got him to admit his reasoning.
Letting his guard down is not the issue,the issues is that he could go ssj3,defeat Vegeta in a few seconds and stop Majin buu if he was serious about stopping him which is what he said but did not.

They addressed that twice in the arc and Goku said it drained him out too much in the mortal realm. To both Piccolo & Vegeta, hence what they argued about before fusing. Yes SS3 was an asspull but they justified it by saying Goku hid it because it was a disadvantage. Where as Trunks can create a spirit bomb, master Mafuba, and create a genki sword out of thin air, not to mention go SS2 with God ki, and none of that was addressed in-universe, let alone plausible. Or Vegeta's SSBE just being him getting a form from thinking about Cabba. Or Caulifla going SS2 randomly. Nothing. We get a contrived out-universe concept just to fit it in with S-cells
Vegeta's new form and Trunks new form came out of nowhere but were not any different that how Gohan got a new form out of nowhere in the cell arc and its not like we saw how Goku and Vegeta got ssj2,they got it offscreen.
If you find Trunks learning the Mafuba in a few seconds such a problem then i assume you must find Tien doing the same in DB,the mafuba is not hard,the hard part is the aim and Trunks had Mai helping him with that.
Trunk's genki sword is such a stupid asspulll but ssj3 is worse since its an asspull and retcon,no pretending it always existed by contradicting earlier actions and statements does not fix it.
He did say he was only going there to stall time, and that he saw Goten & Trunks at the tournament only there taking admiration of their potential. It did not come out of no where. He laid hints about that, and he said he was only there for the day. Why would he just mess around and waste the time he had with the other characters? Just because Super Goku would do that doesn't mean its in character.
He also said he wanted to fuse with Gohan and Vegeta to stop Buu so by not stopping despite pulling a power up out of his ass a few seconds later its a problem itself.
Whatever wrote:So Goku was lying about taking this seriously and contradicted his earlier desire of fusing with Gohan or Vegeta to beat Buu.
He said that when he was talking to Piccolo in the lookout.Since you seem to have forgoten here.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
How was he the reason for it? All of his eagerness to help the Supreme kai was before they saw Buu, and again his time was higher then. In the end of the arc he was alive again wasn't he so he didn't actually contradict anything, not to mention everyone else was dead with the Earth. Who else could fight Buu then? Everyone else failed.
He was since his battle with Vegeta(which he could have ended in a few seconds)gave Buu half of the energy because he decided to screw around with him.
If he was going to fight Buu anyways,then he should have done it in the beggining before everyone got killed when he had the chance instead of pulling the new gen stuff from his collective rear.
Yet, Goku didn't have any real characterization at all of substance in Super. He was either just being oblivious, self-centered and laughed off whatever fucked up thing happened. Then he had the audacity to claim he didn't forgive anyone that hurt his friends, when his entire team is made up of people who did just that. Goku's character is terrible in Super. I can accept him being a plot device for a situation if he contributes to the tone of a situation for the arc, over him being stupid and oblivious enough to center an entire around his rewards for it.
Whatever you like Goku or not in Super,his character has more consistency than it did in the Buu arc,he was horrible there not only because he was a plot device but because he contradicted himself 95% of the time.