Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Doctor. » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:15 pm

I'll throw some more:

- Fat Boo is a better written villain and a more original villain than Cell, though I like the latter better.
- Kid Boo, although largely undeveloped and lacking depth, is one of the most entertaining villains.
- With what you read above in mind, I hate Broly.
- Tenshinhan is a very boring character after his development ends in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai.
- Piccolo's character development, in the manga, was rushed and could have been handled a lot better.
- I like SSJG's design though I hate the transformation, its concept and all it stands for.
- Cooler is more boring and a way worse character than his brother.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:35 pm

I consider Hercule a better name than Mr. Satan. The only thing Mr. Satan has over Hercule is that Toriyama came up with it. Hercule acomplishes what Toriyama was going for with Mr. Satan a lot better than Mr. Satan itself does. To quote Toriyama (This comes from Herms' guide on name puns, and is a quote from Dragonball Forever)

“Since he’s a professional grappler, I used a name that would make him sound like one. Because this is his ring name, I think his actual name is probably something different.”

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:53 am

I loved this thread. With Fukkatsu no F and Super around the corner I think it's time to bring it back.

-Although I like the designs for SSGSSJ and Golden Freeza, they are pretty lazy and unimaginative.
-Dragon Ball Super, from what we know so far, sounds like a bad idea.
-Kai will soon be forgotten.
-Dragon Ball should be just as(if not more) popular than Z. Why? It's better.
-People who prefer the FUNI dub are blinded by nostalgia.
-Movie 13 is overrated.
-Movie 2 is underrated.
-All canon debates are dumb.
-Dragon Ball can't be faithfully adapted into live action.
-Out of all the annoying DB fanboys, FUNI fans are the worst.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Tue May 19, 2015 5:00 pm

-I really like the Danish dub, and I think that some of the voices surpass the English or Japanese voices.
-I hate the way FUNimation handles the dialogue writing in what I've seen of the uncut English dub. The almost cut-and-pasted-from-the-older-dubs dialogue makes it all sound very dated.
-I prefer "Freezer" over "Freeza".
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue May 19, 2015 5:38 pm

- Dragon Ball Heroes is an atrocious game with the worst what-if's/new additions.

Never saw it before, but... Well, I hope I never see stupidity like this. (Except that freaking thing, it is indeed an atrocious "new addition").

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue May 19, 2015 7:57 pm

Dyno wrote:- Dragon Ball Heroes is an atrocious game with the worst what-if's/new additions.

Never saw it before, but... Well, I hope I never see stupidity like this. (Except that freaking thing, it is indeed an atrocious "new addition").
Instead of using small letters that are an hassle to read, you might as well use the spoiler tag.

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Tue May 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Just gonna throw these out there.

* My favorite part about Dragon Ball isn't the fighting, it's the colorful characters and their relationships with one another.
* Kuririn needs more love from the fandom. And from Toriyama, honestly.
* The Buu Saga is my favorite arc. I love how it combines oldschool Toriyama humor with serious circumstances, I adore Trunks and Goten (and Gotenks too), I like how goofy teenage Gohan is, and I think all of Buu's forms are really cool. And I actually prefer Kuririn with hair.
* Goku and Vegeta are both better fathers than people give them credit for. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement, but as far as two pureblooded Saiyans go, they're doing pretty good.
* I don't hate Mr. Satan! Yeah, he's a fame-seeking liar and that's iffy, but in his core he's a decent human being, and he influenced Majin Buu positively and ended up saving the world legitimately. Also, those lies kept the heat off the Z Warriors, which is good because I don't think any of them could handle the mass media very well.
* I like Pan and Uub and while I hate how they were depicted in GT, I don't hold it against them. They have a lot of unrealized potential as characters and future Z Warriors.
* I don't get the hype about Lunch? She's just... there. I'm not surprised Toriyama forgot about her...
* I don't like any of the English dubs for the series.
* I like Toriyama's current art style.
* Battle of Gods and Fukkatsu no F are both kinda stupid. I love the concept of Beerus and the Gods of Destruction and I'd be lying if the idea of Freeza being revived and actually training to defeat Goku isn't extremely cool, but the execution of those ideas is lacking and everything else is ridiculous.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue May 19, 2015 8:55 pm

Demon of Light wrote:* My favorite part about Dragon Ball isn't the fighting, it's the colorful characters and their relationships with one another.
* Kuririn needs more love from the fandom. And from Toriyama, honestly.
What!? Really? But it's exactly the interaction between the characters that makes Dragon Ball shines even more and with a beautiful charm. It is indeed my favorite part, I'm all about colorful characters/relationships toward each other than fights over and over and over and over and over, rehashing, bringing old villains for nothing, fights and more fights... Actually it was the amount of relationship in the extended version that made Movie 14 way much better, enough for it to be my new favorite movie.

And I agree on Toriyama's part, Kuririn needs more love from the author, as for the fandom (and the author as well), would change him for Yamcha. The "Let's mock Yamcha forever and ever" is getting really annoying, retarded and nonsense.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue May 19, 2015 9:34 pm

Oh dear god...okay let's see:

- I hate transformations by this point. All strategy and tension went out the window the moment you could pull a random power up out your butt.

- Not sure how unpopular this one is but; the Buu saga became unbearable for me due to the constant oneupmanship of the Saiyans and Buu; Fusion Dance, SSJ3, Z Sword, Elder Kai unlock, Potara earring fusion, Absorption...too many power ups for one finale.

- Krillin AND Yamcha both need more love from both Toriyama and the fanbase. Krillin really should have finished Nappa or Vegeta off and Yamcha's sacrifice should of looked less like a foddering and more like what it was; a heroic sacrifice to prevent his friend from never being revived again. Hell; Roshi seems to sometimes even forget Yamcha was his student too and when Tenshinhan starts being the boss of Yamcha in Revival of F, something has gone wrong.

- Similarly Vegeta needs less love from both Toriyama and the fanbase. A lot of his evil deeds prior to end of Buu saga's final permanent side switch to good were totally forgiven by the cast and the fanbase because...why exactly? He was strong and a badass? That's not a reason. Fuck Vegeta prior to the end of Z. He was a total dick. Sometimes even when he was 'good'.

- Tenshinhan needs more personality. The moment he turned good he became a bland-o stoic guy. Even Piccolo has moments of comical gold, and I feel Ten misses out on this. He doesn't have to be a clown, but it'd be nice to get some humour and happiness from the guy once in a while.

- I'd of preferred Raditz or Nappa to have been the Saiyan to survive instead of Vegeta. Back in the Saiyan saga neither seemed quite as cruel as he did yet he's the one that gets the redemption. Hell, I'd of preferred all three to have survived and had character development and formed friendships with the main gang. I'm aware this contradicts my third opinion somewhat.

- Recent Dragonball has been at it's most interesting when Goku and Vegeta are not in screen.

- I feel Gohan became boring the moment he became super saiyan. Before that his rage boosts felt impressive and he felt like an underdog you could root for. The moment he became another super saiyan of legend it became a lot harder to cheer for him.

- I wish Chiaoutzu's psychic powers were more impressive. Like if he'd learnt Guldo's time stop ability somehow.

- I'd of given anything for both Goku and Krillin to survive a whole arc together post initial death. I'd like to have seen these two best buddies hang out together more rather than Goku hanging with Vegeta all the time.

- I believe Krillin is the strongest human. Dear god, I wish this wasn't unpopular after the author himself stated it, but here we are.

- Bio Broly was no worse than any of the other movies. At least the plot wasn't just a Z arc rehash again even if it brought Broly back a third time.

- Goku and Vegeta can frankly act out their DBO finale in Super's first episode for all I care at this point about them. I find them both the least interesting characters in Dragonball these days.

- Vegeta's parenting skills being declared better than Goku's is kind of laughable. He punches his son in the face but it's fine because he'll treat him afterwards? Alrighty...again we're forgiving Vegeta for being a dick because reasons.

- The best bits of the series are when the characters interact and how they play off of one another. I really want more of this in Super.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Tue May 19, 2015 10:09 pm

- Battle of Gods / FnF / Super iare all as canon as GT

MajinShyguy666

Post by MajinShyguy666 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:07 pm

-movie 1 is underrated
-i liked ultimate tenkaichi
-i don't think kuririn is useless
-i like chaozu
-the red ribbon army arc is my favorite arc in all of dragon ball
-freeza is overrated
-broly is overrated
-i liked GT
-i prefer dragon ball over dragon ball z

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 20, 2015 4:14 pm

I'll subscribe to what Akyon said about Vegeta too, but change it a bit.

- Fuck Vegeta prior to the Boo arc.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Doctor. wrote:I'll subscribe to what Akyon said about Vegeta too, but change it a bit.

Bulma's already got that covered. :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Wed May 20, 2015 5:32 pm

Toriyama is running the series into the ground and consistently implementing horrendous ideas.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 20, 2015 5:35 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I'll subscribe to what Akyon said about Vegeta too, but change it a bit.

Bulma's already got that covered. :P
Oh, you. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obKLdou0LH0

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:32 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:-If you aren't watching it in Japanese, I don't feel like you're part of the discussion. It's like a fan of the Lord of the Rings films trying to discuss the vast canon of JRR Tolkien's works with a Tolkien scholar, as if the two were actually seeing the same thing (hint: they weren't).
-Takao Koyama is a way better writer than Akira Toriyama.
-DBZ Movie 3 is criminally underrated; Being better than virtually everything else to come out from Toei, and essentially everything from Toriyama since Namek blew up.
-Bruce is not "good music that is misplaced", Yamamoto did not "fit the tone of Z better"; If it isn't Kikuchi, it is at best pointless, and at worse, aural genocide.
-Funimation has no credibility when they actively hire a statutory rapist for their productions.
-Kids who argue over numbers instead of narrative when it comes to DBZ will always baffle me.
-Tenshinhan is the STRONGEST... FUCKING... HUMAN.

This totally needs context because WHAT?! :o

I think Dragon Ball's mystical and comical aspects outshine everything else in the series.

Kid Goku becoming a Great Ape two times is a crime. (Three, if you count DB Movie 2)
I believe SS4 is stronger than SSGSS. Why? Because SS4 came years after Goku gained SSGSS. Years + training = SS4!!!!

I like Whis's Funi voice more so than his Japanese voice.

Chi Chi becoming a over protective mother bothers me and makes no sense.

I don't understand why people want Son Gohan to be a killing machine? (Is it cool? Yes. Is it needed? No)

Funi's lack of using "Son" when introducing any of Son family bothers me. That's their name, use it!

Piccolo's bandages dangling from his turban is boss.

Bardock/Burdock is overrated.

DB needs more Radtiz.

Ocean Dub's DBZ movie 3's "Kaio Ken times 10!" is the best Kaio Ken instance ever! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEYabAAEmAs
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:59 pm

GTx10 wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:-If you aren't watching it in Japanese, I don't feel like you're part of the discussion. It's like a fan of the Lord of the Rings films trying to discuss the vast canon of JRR Tolkien's works with a Tolkien scholar, as if the two were actually seeing the same thing (hint: they weren't).
-DBZ Movie 3 is criminally underrated; Being better than virtually everything else to come out from Toei, and essentially everything from Toriyama since Namek blew up.
-Bruce is not "good music that is misplaced", Yamamoto did not "fit the tone of Z better"; If it isn't Kikuchi, it is at best pointless, and at worse, aural genocide.
-Funimation has no credibility when they actively hire a statutory rapist for their productions.
-Kids who argue over numbers instead of narrative when it comes to DBZ will always baffle me.

I think Dragon Ball's mystical and comical aspects outshine everything else in the series.

Kid Goku becoming a Great Ape two times is a crime. (Three, if you count DB Movie 2)
I believe SS4 is stronger than SSGSS. Why? Because SS4 came years after Goku gained SSGSS. Years + training = SS4!!!!

I like Whis's Funi voice more so than his Japanese voice.

Chi Chi becoming a over protective mother bothers me and makes no sense.

I don't understand why people want Son Gohan to be a killing machine? (Is it cool? Yes. Is it needed? No)

Funi's lack of using "Son" when introducing any of Son family bothers me. That's their name, use it!

Piccolo's bandages dangling from his turban is boss.

Bardock/Burdock is overrated.

DB needs more Radtiz.

Ocean Dub's DBZ movie 3's "Kaio Ken times 10!" is the best Kaio Ken instance ever! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEYabAAEmAs
That's not really unpopular. Plenty of folks get on Toriyama's case about that even calling him sexist...
Oh and you're overrated... :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Thu May 21, 2015 1:56 am

GTx10 wrote:

Statutory rapist? You know what, I know exactly who GTx10 is referring to. There's plenty of trustworthy accounts (I've personally heard first hand accounts from people I know and trust) and even video evidence of this person being incredibly gross around underage girls. Even without the statutory rape accusations, this person is an absolutely terrible human being and has a bad attitude, to the point where they have been banned from appearing in several conventions for being a douche to both staff and fans.

I don't think I should be putting this person's name explicitly here, if only because I don't want to be the immediate instigator of needless drama. But trust me, if you have seen a Funi dub or played a Dragon Ball video game in English, you know this person, and there's a truth in what GTx10 is saying.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu May 21, 2015 2:26 am

I have never heard anything about a statutory rapist at Funimation. That's a pretty serious allegation.

Also, I dislike Cha La Head Cha La. I liked it at first, but hearing it for 199+ episodes was a turn off.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 21, 2015 5:25 am

Statutory rapist? You know what, I know exactly who GTx10 is referring to. There's plenty of trustworthy accounts (I've personally heard first hand accounts from people I know and trust) and even video evidence of this person being incredibly gross around underage girls. Even without the statutory rape accusations, this person is an absolutely terrible human being and has a bad attitude, to the point where they have been banned from appearing in several conventions for being a douche to both staff and fans.

I don't think I should be putting this person's name explicitly here, if only because I don't want to be the immediate instigator of needless drama. But trust me, if you have seen a Funi dub or played a Dragon Ball video game in English, you know this person, and there's a truth in what GTx10 is saying.
Know this person or who this person is?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.