Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:32 pm

ABED wrote: True, but the manga is a completely different medium.
But so are movies from weekly serialized tv shows.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Those are both animation, with voice acting, things that you watch.

Manga is different. It has pages, and you read it, rather than watch it.

TV and film are indeed distinct media, but they're far more similar to one another than either are to manga.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:36 pm

Zephyr wrote:Those are both animation, with voice acting, things that you watch.

Manga is different. It has pages, and you read it, rather than watch it.

TV and film are indeed distinct media, but they're far more similar to one another than either are to manga.
Precisely and a lot of people are willing to watch TV or movies then they are to read. Even something with visuals there to accompany all those pesky words.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
ABED wrote: True, but the manga is a completely different medium.
But so are movies from weekly serialized tv shows.
Yes, TV and film are different mediums, but it's mostly due to running time. It's like the difference between a short story and a novel.

The manga is a comic book. It has a flat image and dialog you have to read. The images and dialog go as fast as the reader wants. The TV show and film have motion and sound.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Doctor. wrote: If he provided an excuse as to why Kaio didn't help, it would be fine.
Not just Kaio, but why Goku in the Afterlife couldn't contact Gohan as he did in the Boo arc? Why not tell him about the RoSaT?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Zephyr wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't call anything the Baby arc. Baby is simply a large part of the Black Star Dragon Balls arc. The same way Freeza is part of the Namek arc, or Cell a part of the Artificial Humans arc.

I know that's all semantics, but the first few episodes of GT definitely set up, and are a part of, the arc that isn't concluded until after Baby is killed, the Earth blows up, Piccolo stays dead, and the Earth is subsequently restored. That's when the wish that prompts them to go into space and encounter Baby, and later destroys the planet, is made in the first place.
I personally consider the Namek arc as a part of the Freeza saga. But I know what you mean.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:42 pm

This community is toxic and full of people who constantly complain and argue about every single thing no matter what it is and can’t respect the opinions of others. Not everybody of course, but it’s a majority that I have seen.

That’s my unpopular opinion.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:39 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:This community is toxic and full of people who constantly complain and argue about every single thing no matter what it is and can’t respect the opinions of others. Not everybody of course, but it’s a majority that I have seen.

Then why are you here if you consider it toxic?

What constitutes respecting someone's opinion?
I personally consider the Namek arc as a part of the Freeza saga. But I know what you mean.
How could anyone disagree? There is no Namek arc as it's not separate from Freeza.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:47 pm

ABED wrote:
How could anyone disagree? There is no Namek arc as it's not separate from Freeza.
Please, if you're going to quote someone don't remove their name so they can properly respond to you.

I meant in the sense that he implied the Namek saga is the "larger overall saga" while Freeza is the sub saga part of that. In my opinion it's the other way around.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Please, if you're going to quote someone don't remove their name so they can properly respond to you.
You don't know this strategy? Is used here for the person get the last word on the argument as it may go unnoticed from whom they replied.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Please, if you're going to quote someone don't remove their name so they can properly respond to you.

I meant in the sense that he implied the Namek saga is the "larger overall saga" while Freeza is the sub saga part of that. In my opinion it's the other way around.
I didn't remove the name. I copy and pasted then put the quote tags around the text.

Well, I don't think it would be wrong to call it the Namek arc as opposed to the Freeza arc.
Is used here for the person get the last word on the argument as it may go unnoticed from whom they replied.
Or something less diabolical. It's just a matter of expediency.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:57 pm

ABED wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
ABED wrote:

I didn't remove the name. I copy and pasted then put the quote tags around the text.

Well, I don't think it would be wrong to call it the Namek arc as opposed to the Freeza arc.
Is used here for the person get the last word on the argument as it may go unnoticed from whom they replied.
Or something less diabolical. It's just a matter of expediency.
You did. You removed my name so I dont get a notification whe you reply. Not sure if you knew it did that or not, but yeah.
Especially because you just did it again with jeff.

I know both Namek and Freeza are both appropriate names for the arc/saga, just basically what I prefer

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 pm

I didn't remove anything. I highlight the text, then Control+c then put the quote tags around the text. I didn't actively remove anyone's name. Why is this such a big deal? Everyone's been doing this for years.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 pm

ABED wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:This community is toxic and full of people who constantly complain and argue about every single thing no matter what it is and can’t respect the opinions of others. Not everybody of course, but it’s a majority that I have seen.

Then why are you here if you consider it toxic?

What constitutes respecting someone's opinion?
FYI, I’m not here most of the time because of it. The few times that I am here is because I enjoy the few discussions that don’t turn into petty arguments (Ex: discussions that I’ve seen you participate in are examples of the discussions that I enjoy). Also, I’m not talking about just here, I’m talking about nearly everywhere I go to discuss dragon ball. And it’s obvious what constitutes respecting someone’s opinion. Not trying to step on a high horse and trying to accuse someone of either having low Or high standards if another person likes/doesn’t like something.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:25 pm

It's actually not obvious because some would say that if you have a huge and long disagreement that shows lack of respect. Plenty of people have a difference of opinion about what constitutes showing respect.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Whatever you say, you know what I mean now.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I meant in the sense that he implied the Namek saga is the "larger overall saga" while Freeza is the sub saga part of that. In my opinion it's the other way around.
Its not a big deal, but I'm not sure how it can really work the other way around, or at least work better. The premise itself is that they're going to Namek to revive their fallen comrades. That they encounter, and fight, a bad dude named Freeza is a horrific turn that causes the bulk of their trouble, but that's not the core motivating quest. Rather, its the obstacle that prevents them from completing it with ease.

Later, the arc ends when their fallen comrades are brought back to life, not when Goku defeats Freeza. The trouble with Freeza sits comfortably within the two bookends of seeking and finally using the Namekian Dragon Balls.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I meant in the sense that he implied the Namek saga is the "larger overall saga" while Freeza is the sub saga part of that. In my opinion it's the other way around.
Its not a big deal, but I'm not sure how it can really work the other way around, or at least work better. The premise itself is that they're going to Namek to revive their fallen comrades. That they encounter, and fight, a bad dude named Freeza is a horrific turn that causes the bulk of their trouble, but that's not the core motivating quest. Rather, its the obstacle that prevents them from completing it with ease.

Later, the arc ends when their fallen comrades are brought back to life, not when Goku defeats Freeza. The trouble with Freeza sits comfortably within the two bookends of seeking and finally using the Namekian Dragon Balls.
Point taken, but DB arcs are generally named after the central antagonist.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:If people complaint about the movie retelling arcs in SUPER they should be complaining about Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z being manga retellings.
Meh. I'd say adapting a manga into an anime is different from lengthening a movie in television show format with poorer animation and unnecessary padding.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:38 am

ABED wrote:Point taken, but DB arcs are generally named after the central antagonist.
I'm aware, but something being more widespread doesn't necessarily make it the most apt or sensible.

But, again, it's not that huge a deal; I use Namek and Freeza interchangeably all the time for the arc name, in actual everyday usage (same with Androids/Cell).