Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:30 pm

1, 4, God and Ultra are the only forms worth a crap for me. 2s just 1 but spikier and with lightning, 3s a borderline parody, Blue is relentlessly bland by being "too blue", Rose fixes some of Blue's issues by having a different eye and aura color but both it and Blue are simply way too similar to 1 for me to ignore the laziness inherent to them. And no, Rose & Blue having a bang or two out of the usual SS1 place does not make them unique. Especially since half the time the lowered bang is present in SS1 or missing entirely for Blue.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:13 am

Is disliking Dragon Ball Heroes an unpopular opinion? Because I really don't like the sheer absurdity of the crap thought up for that game.

Dark Dragon Ball Full Power Super Saiyan 4 Time Breaker Broly is a perfect example.

People like to shit on fanfiction writers for going overboard with nonsensical transformations... but Dark Dragon Ball Full Power Super Saiyan 4 Time Breaker Broly is a thing that exists in an official Dragon Ball game.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:10 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:Is disliking Dragon Ball Heroes an unpopular opinion? Because I really don't like the sheer absurdity of the crap thought up for that game.

Dark Dragon Ball Full Power Super Saiyan 4 Time Breaker Broly is a perfect example.

People like to shit on fanfiction writers for going overboard with nonsensical transformations... but Dark Dragon Ball Full Power Super Saiyan 4 Time Breaker Broly is a thing that exists in an official Dragon Ball game.
I know very little about that game, but I have to say I love the outfit they gave Goku.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm

While most users say they love both many prefer the manga over anime for Dragon Ball and other series as well and while I can see the benefits of good pacing(Freeza arc) and art consistency, music and voice actors add to much to a story for me to pass them up for pacing and art unless it's god tier art and Berserk has spoiled me in that regard.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:54 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:While most users say they love both many prefer the manga over anime for Dragon Ball and other series as well and while I can see the benefits of good pacing(Freeza arc) and art consistency, music and voice actors add to much to a story for me to pass them up for pacing and art unless it's god tier art and Berserk has spoiled me in that regard.
Pacing is a big issue in any artwork. Thankfully, Kai has helped this issue a lot, but I agree that music and acting are huge benefits.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:Another unpopular opinion, I liked DBGT- A Hero's Legacy
I thought it was good to watch a story from far far away in the future, but Goku Jr. becoming a SSJ having less than 1/16 Saiyan blood it ruined for me. I know there's no such statement that one is related to another, but it irks me anyway.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:09 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:Is disliking Dragon Ball Heroes an unpopular opinion? Because I really don't like the sheer absurdity of the crap thought up for that game.

Dragon Ball Heroes is pretty much Dragon Ball AF: The Video Games. Almost every fan fic idea from the early-mid 2000's has become a real thing.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:Another unpopular opinion, I liked DBGT- A Hero's Legacy
I enjoyed it, and I've always been vocal about my dislike of GT in general.

Fortunately it bears no relevance in the actual main continuity.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:20 pm

TheZFighter wrote:Fortunately it bears no relevance in the actual main continuity.
I think the same way about Super, I actually enjoy the series, but I know none of these things actually happened.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Noah wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:Fortunately it bears no relevance in the actual main continuity.
I think the same way about Super, I actually enjoy the series, but I know none of these things actually happened.
Even though the story and characters are by Toriyama?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Forte224 wrote:Even though the story and characters are by Toriyama?
We know much little about Toriyama involvement in the series, what we know is that in some point he was dissatisfied and wanted to quit and then Toei had to provide him ideas for a new arc. His outlines are not fully detailed and this probably explains the differences between manga and anime.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Except that it's not his "Full Power Super Saiyan 4", it's just Super Saiyan 4. Also, what's the problem with someone wanting to control him while in his most powerful transformation?

I know everything regarding to Broly is pure shit, heck, his whole existence is unnecessary so giving more absurdity to him won't change anything. There's no actual reason for disliking Heroes because of him.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Noah wrote:
Even though the story and characters are by Toriyama?
Toriyama's involvement in Super is very vague and thin. At best its ideas that are simple but enough for the writers of the anime and manga to adapt however they like. While I certainly wouldn't disregard his involvement it is in actuality barely more than he did for GT and in every way a collaborative effort.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:34 am

Grimlock wrote:

Except that it's not his "Full Power Super Saiyan 4", it's just Super Saiyan 4. Also, what's the problem with someone wanting to control him while in his most powerful transformation?

I know everything regarding to Broly is pure shit, heck, his whole existence is unnecessary so giving more absurdity to him won't change anything. There's no actual reason for disliking Heroes because of him.
At no point did I ever say I disliked Heroes solely because of Broly. I said that I dislike it because of all the absurd concepts and transformations in it. It's fanservice of the highest calibre, and while that's fine, it's just not something I enjoy.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:17 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Daniel Day-Lewis has a tendency to ham it up at times but he is a fine actor outside of that; I've never seen Jason David Frank show any real acting range at all. Although to be fair Power Rangers isn't really a show that requires acting range.
Honestly overacting isn't a bad thing. It can be done well.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:39 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Daniel Day-Lewis has a tendency to ham it up at times but he is a fine actor outside of that; I've never seen Jason David Frank show any real acting range at all. Although to be fair Power Rangers isn't really a show that requires acting range.
There's a difference between overacting and being over the top. Being over the top is fine in context.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:57 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
There's a difference between overacting and being over the top. Being over the top is fine in context.
Really? I always thought those terms meant the same thing.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:05 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
So would Drumonds Vegeta be considered overacting or over the top?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:34 pm

I'd say Drummond can be over the top.
I think there's a clear distinction. Overacting is overdoing things. Over the top simply means big, flashy, flamboyant. Sometimes moments call for the latter. Maybe I didn't pick the right words, but I think there's a distinction between overdoing it in a performance vs. acting big and flashy when the moment calls for it.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:52 pm

ABED wrote:I'd say Drummond can be over the top.
I think there's a clear distinction. Overacting is overdoing things. Over the top simply means big, flashy, flamboyant. Sometimes moments call for the latter. Maybe I didn't pick the right words, but I think there's a distinction between overdoing it in a performance vs. acting big and flashy when the moment calls for it.
He IS over-the-top. It's one of my favorite things about Drummond's Vegeta. His over-the-top performance is just amazing to watch.

Gary Oldman is one of the best actors at being over-the-top.