Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:07 am

ulisa wrote:
I guess I just feel Goku and Pan would have given it a Full Circle feel. The series starts with Goku having been trained by his grandfather so it would have been a nice call back to see Goku now in his grandfather’s role.
You know, I never thought about it like that before. I definitely dig the concept a lot.

In fact, I've always thought GT was slightly better than Super even though it wasn't all that great but I've been going through the series again lately and I like it a lot more than I remember.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:56 am

Champa The Destroyer wrote:I'm not sure how unpopular it is, but the Shadow Dragons Arc is very boring. The exact same thing happens 5 times (they find the dragon, find out the dragon's special ability, almost lose, find a weakness, and defeat the dragon), and it doesn't interest me at all until the Nuova Shenron. The Baby Arc is MUCH better imo.
I don't think this is all that unpopular. In my experience, people think that the first dragons were forgettable at best and that the arc only gets decent towards the end (with Nuova and such, like you mention). At the same time, though, the Baby arc goes the other way, being better in the beginning than in the end (likely due to Baby's character becoming "standard villain" instead of keeping the whole grudge thing going), so which one is better overall isn't too agreed upon. This is all going off Facebook conversations, by the way.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:45 am

I actually like the 2-star Dragon. It was refreshing that he had a unique dangerous ability, one that wasn't pure strength. I guess the quest is formulaic, but the structure doesn't bother me, it's the execution. It's really no more formulaic than the big bad formula that had been used since the Piccolo Daimao arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:14 am

Haze Shenron (2-star dragon) is one of the best dragons imo.
I hate when people say "only the last 3 dragons were good". This is what DBZ turned DB into.

I really like Nuova, but other than that, Haze and Oceanus are my favourite dragons.
I also liked Naturon a lot except his true form.

The only dragon i didn't like was Rage.

Omega had very unique and universal abilities (which he mostly didn't even use), but other than that he was pretty generic final villain.
From all 3 main GT villains, he is the worst imo.
Baby is the best.
Super 17 is between them.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:55 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:Haze Shenron (2-star dragon) is one of the best dragons imo.
I hate when people say "only the last 3 dragons were good". This is what DBZ turned DB into.

I really like Nuova, but other than that, Haze and Oceanus are my favourite dragons.
I also liked Naturon a lot except his true form.

The only dragon i didn't like was Rage.

Omega had very unique and universal abilities (which he mostly didn't even use), but other than that he was pretty generic final villain.
From all 3 main GT villains, he is the worst imo.
Baby is the best.
Super 17 is between them.
Haze Shenron is actually one of the most interesting dragons, but they repeat the same thing all the way up until Nuova Shenron, so everything in between Haze and Nuova is boring imo.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Haze Shenron is actually one of the most interesting dragons, but they repeat the same thing all the way up until Nuova Shenron, so everything in between Haze and Nuova is boring imo.
Formula is similar but the characters are different.

The only dragons I found boring were the 5 and 7 star dragons, and the 5 star was boring mostly because he spanned 2 episodes. I did like his strategy to use Pan as a human shield.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:10 pm

Champa The Destroyer wrote: Haze Shenron is actually one of the most interesting dragons, but they repeat the same thing all the way up until Nuova Shenron, so everything in between Haze and Nuova is boring imo.
I know what you mean, but i don't think they repeat the same scheme.
Haze was beaten because they found a fresh water. He didn't have any weak spot, he was always weak.
Rage didn't have any mystery about his powers and pretty much defeated himself. They didn't find any other way to beat him in his huge form.
Oceanus actually had a weak spot that they had to find (and tbh Goku could've used SSJ4 if he was really about to die from her attacks)
Naturon was simply tricked by Goku who wasn't that close to losing

To me it's quite different.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:21 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Champa The Destroyer wrote: Haze Shenron is actually one of the most interesting dragons, but they repeat the same thing all the way up until Nuova Shenron, so everything in between Haze and Nuova is boring imo.
Haze was beaten because they found a fresh water. He didn't have any weak spot, he was always weak.
Rage didn't have any mystery about his powers and pretty much defeated himself. They didn't find any other way to beat him in his huge form.
Oceanus actually had a weak spot that they had to find (and tbh Goku could've used SSJ4 if he was really about to die from her attacks)

I think the point was that they are very broadly similar. They find a dragon wreaking havoc, almost lose, figure out their power and weakness, and then defeat them.
You make it sound like it's some huge stretch of episodes. It's just 3 dragons over 4 episodes.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:29 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:

There are mild differences, but they are still very similar. It finally changes once they get to Nuova, and its pretty interesting then. The dragons themselves are interesting, but every episode feels like a repeat of the last episode for the most part.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:35 pm

GamerSkull wrote: In fact, I've always thought GT was slightly better than Super even though it wasn't all that great but I've been going through the series again lately and I like it a lot more than I remember.
I always thought GT got a bad rap. While it’s definitely got some major flaws, I found it very enjoyable, especially from the Baby Arc onward. Even though I wasn’t a fan of them making Goku a kid again, I do appreciate that he kept his adult mind. He acts differently than Kid Goku, as he should. Guy has...what 40 years of battle experience by this point? It felt like a good expansion from the end of Z.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:37 pm

I guess I can say that I don't particularly mind EoZ.

I'm not saying it's great or even good... but I think it's okay.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:38 pm

Champa The Destroyer wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:

There are mild differences, but they are still very similar. It finally changes once they get to Nuova, and its pretty interesting then. The dragons themselves are interesting, but every episode feels like a repeat of the last episode for the most part.
It's just 4 episodes. Find them boring if you want, but I think you're overstating this issue.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:49 pm

ABED wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:

It's just 4 episodes. Find them boring if you want, but I think you're overstating this issue.
That is true, its only a couple of episodes.

Another unpopular opinion of mine is that Gohan in the Cell Arc is my least favorite version of Gohan. I personally even like ROF Gohan more.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:52 pm

I agree, Cell Games Gohan is my least favorite version of the character.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:57 pm

ABED wrote:I agree, Cell Games Gohan is my least favorite version of the character.
I would probably like it more if it was built up more since the beginning of the Cell Arc. It didn't seem like it wanted to build up Gohan being the one to beat Cell until they went into the ROSAT.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:12 pm

ABED wrote:I agree, Cell Games Gohan is my least favorite version of the character.
I would probably like it more if it was built up more since the beginning of the Cell Arc. It didn't seem like it wanted to build up Gohan being the one to beat Cell until they went into the ROSAT.
He's not active during that arc. He's in the background for most of it, and when he's put in the spotlight, he need to be told what to do. And I've heard every rationale for it. While those points are valid, they don't make for good reasons to put him in the spotlight.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:15 pm

ABED wrote:
He's not active during that arc. He's in the background for most of it, and when he's put in the spotlight, he need to be told what to do. And I've heard every rationale for it. While those points are valid, they don't make for good reasons to put him in the spotlight.
Agreed, Gohan does absolutely nothing for like 70% of the Cell Arc, and then Gohan is suddenly pushed to be the one to beat Cell.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:18 pm

Alright, this might make people hate me but...

Dragon Ball Super was only good for the slice-of-life episodes.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:20 pm

GamerSkull wrote:Alright, this might make people hate me but...

Honestly I think that's the anime's strength. While the manga has better pacing when it comes to the arcs, the best advantage of the anime is the slice of life episodes. The baseball episode, Mr Satan fighting aliens, baby Pan bonding with Goku, and odd Dr Slump episode gave Super some nice refreshing breather between arcs. They were fun, cute, and had some nice character moments.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:33 pm

GamerSkull wrote:Alright, this might make people hate me but...

I'm just wondering, what do you dislike about Super?

I think this is pretty unpopular, but I think the Cell Arc is about as bad as the ROF Arc and the Super 17 Arc.